shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an OEC

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
I got engaged with a vintage sapphire and diamond halo ring recently and the diamonds in the halo appear to be OECs, my first experience with them! Oh how the diamonds DANCE in candlelight! They are little 10 pointers or 3mm each, around the sapphire, but they are so pretty and so romantic looking.

My fear is that I can't wear this antique ring all the time without wearing it down, (it has super find milgrain) so we are looking for a workhorse alternative ring. It would most likely be a solitaire. I've trawled the thread on here and shortlisted Old World, Singlestone, LAD and JBG. Is there anywhere else that I can look for them? I would love to find one on ebay but I don't have the eye to weed out the poorer ones.

Thanks very much as always!

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Putting in a call to Adam @ OWD with your specs (color, clarity, budget, etc) will likely yield more options, as his inventory is not fully represented on his site. Do you have a preference for old European Cut, old mine cut, antique cushion, etc., or would you possibly prefer a modern-antique cut which is faceted for ideal light performance while replicating the chunky facets of old cuts? If so, check out https://www.augustvintageinc.com/

ETA: And let’s see a pic of this engagement ring! :appl:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would put OWD and LAD above JBG based on the return policy and my experience with how responsive they were when I did my search. I second RosieR’s recommendation to look at Alex at Parks Fine Group, too. He has more listed on IG than on his etsy shop.

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
:wavey: Putting in a call to Adam @ OWD with your specs (color, clarity, budget, etc) will likely yield more options, as his inventory is not fully represented on his site. Do you have a preference for old European Cut, old mine cut, antique cushion, etc., or would you possibly prefer a modern-antique cut which is faceted for ideal light performance while replicating the chunky facets of old cuts? If so, check out https://www.augustvintageinc.com/

ETA: And let’s see a pic of this engagement ring! :appl:

Ok I'm going to call Adam! I was looking through his list but it was so extensive I didn't know how to go about narrowing down the search. I would like an old european cut, but I can't tell if I would prefer a floral oec or a chunky one. I started off by wanting one just like the little ones in my ring, but a bigger, mother version of these babies! Perhaps someone can tell me if the melee are floral or chunky please?

You could try Alex Park. I have not used him myself but others have with good results. Congratulations on your engagement and please do show us your sapphire :)
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/review-parks-fine-group-alex-park.235276/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ParksFineGroupInc

I saw parksfinegroup on loupetroop! Thanks very much and I will look for Alex.

I would put OWD and LAD above JBG based on the return policy and my experience with how responsive they were when I did my search. I second RosieR’s recommendation to look at Alex at Parks Fine Group, too. He has more listed on IG than on his etsy shop.

Alright, I'm going to head in that direction then! 3 solid vendors :)

Has anyone had experience shipping over OEC overseas? From what I've read, OEC performance is so individual and subjective, it's like each one has its own personality. Will it be possible to have the vendors ship it to me here in singapore to view and decide, then ship it back if I didn't like it? If anyone has bought one internationally, could you please share your experience?

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I would personally recommend Erica from Love Affair Diamonds or Matt from Good Old Gold. Their service is impeccable, they are professional, honest, super helpful, prompt to reply and I can’t speak higher of them. I almost purchased from GOG and did purchase from LAD.

I reached out to Alex and Adam (OWD) and for me personally the responses were disappointing and I was left to my own devices. I know others have had different experiences to me. I didn’t have much success with JBG either. Maybe because my spend wasn’t high it wasn’t a priority.

I am in Australia and the import costs are substantial (not to mention non refundable) but I feel confident the stone I am eagerly awaiting will be amazing. It is currently at AGS being graded

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently visited OWD and I was really impressed at the selection he brought out for me, and his very honest appraisal of each stone.

BabyBling

Rough_Rock
Hi missyminx. I've never actually posted on here before but I just wanted to chime in and say your ring is gorgeous! I love those OECs. They look amazing under the loupe. Mesmerizing. How fun to be searching for a mother version! I bought my OEC/Transitional from Erica at LAD and had a wonderful experience. I still get distracted staring at the facets and it's been 4 years! :lol: Best of luck and I can't wait to see what you choose.

Lazare000EX

Rough_Rock
Very nice ring u got there!! I’m from SG too and I’ve personally not seen anybody wearing rings with OEC!

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
@Lovesparklesparle I've reached out to Erica and she's been really nice and attentive. I'm waiting for a stone to come along which is within my little budget and hopefully it will be soon! Based on all the reviews on PS and also the amazing videos she's posted, I'm sure you've got yourself a winner! Please post when you've got it!

@Austina thanks! Oh how I would love to pay him a visit and see all those stones! It must have been an enjoyable experience.

Thank you very much for your kind words @BabyBling, we both love the ring very much (more me haha), and it means even more to me because sapphire is my birth stone, and this is the first sapphire I own! I'm glad you had a wonderful experience with Erica, I'm hoping to get one of her amazing stones soon!

Hello fellow SG @Lazare000EX :wavey: I would like to see people here wearing OECs or shops carrying them. Unfortunately there aren't, but now and then I see an OEC or OMC in a pawnshop! But their asking prices being typically local pricing, is way too high for what it's worth...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @missyminx gorgeous antique sapphire diamond ring. :love:

I think it is best for you to be able to see in person all the different flavors of OECs so you can figure out what is your personal favorite type old cut. Your diamonds in the halo look beautifully chunky to me but don't get hung up on the labels. Just look at all the varieties and see what is most aesthetically appealing to you.

Ok I'm going to call Adam! I was looking through his list but it was so extensive I didn't know how to go about narrowing down the search. I would like an old european cut, but I can't tell if I would prefer a floral oec or a chunky one. I started off by wanting one just like the little ones in my ring, but a bigger, mother version of these babies! Perhaps someone can tell me if the melee are floral or chunky please?

If this were me I would call Adam and explain your dilemma and that you want to see as many different old cuts as possible to get an idea of your preferences. He is super easy to talk to and he will show you all the different old cuts and he is very patient and a good teacher. You cannot go wrong making an appointment with him just to look. He is very generous with his time and his willingness to educate anybody who is interested in old cuts. And he never pressures anyone to buy and is always so helpful.

Good luck!

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
Hello @missy mistress of bubbalah!!! :love:
That is an excellent idea, to ask Adam about the different types. I approached another well known vendor here and told her that I don't know which type I liked; she said it was very subjective and that was that. I will approach him shortly and hopefully he can teach. I am looking forward to absorbing as information much as I can.
Is chunky the same as bubbly? I'm not sure what this means but I am most mesmerised by the liveliness, nonstop flashes of fire when I'm looking at my hand on the escalator rail in malls or the train station. Is that bubbliness that I am drawn to? My girlfriend says they look like little flowers dancing. Hence my confusion.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you tell us your desired carat weight (and diameter in millimeters), color and clarity characteristics plus price range, it would be helpful. Then people could post examples for you and you could comment.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello @missy mistress of bubbalah!!! :love:
That is an excellent idea, to ask Adam about the different types. I approached another well known vendor here and told her that I don't know which type I liked; she said it was very subjective and that was that. I will approach him shortly and hopefully he can teach. I am looking forward to absorbing as information much as I can.
Is chunky the same as bubbly? I'm not sure what this means but I am most mesmerised by the liveliness, nonstop flashes of fire when I'm looking at my hand on the escalator rail in malls or the train station. Is that bubbliness that I am drawn to? My girlfriend says they look like little flowers dancing. Hence my confusion.

When you see more old cuts you will figure out what you love about them and what you need in yours. Chunky, bubbly it means the same to me. Fat juicy yummy facets. Some other characteristics I like in old cuts is when the facets are more on than off and that don't all go dark at once, where the stone is evenly bright. The color play, the liveliness of each stone and the soft glow from within. The facet pattern of course is critical to one's enjoyment of their stone and personally I like a chunky pleasing facet pattern but that is such an individual preference. Again (sorry if I sound like a broken record) there is no substitute to seeing them in person and seeing them in action up close and in different environments.

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
If you tell us your desired carat weight (and diameter in millimeters), color and clarity characteristics plus price range, it would be helpful. Then people could post examples for you and you could comment.

OK! Let me think this one through and come back!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t get too hung up on trying to define what you like. When you look at pics and videos over time you will see some that have a personality that speaks to you. I like both checkerboard and flowery so it isn’t always an ‘either or’ decision you need to make. And, I used to think mine cuts weren’t for me as I thought they were too “rustic”. Maybe I was only seeing duds at the time because after awhile I saw a few I liked and now own a small one.
Do you have a loupe so you can see the facet patterns on the stones in your halo?

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
@Lovesparklesparle Actually I just pulled a high risk move and bought an OEC online from a private seller! I should be receiving it on Monday, fingers crossed. If this doesn't work out I'll start afresh and work on my parameters. Thank you so very much for your kind offer!

@kgizo Thanks for your advice. I'll stay open minded about the different types. I have a 10x loupe but long-sightedness is setting in on top of my short-sightedness so I can't really focus (have to take my contact lenses out before I can see through the loupe even!) and see the facet patterns properly to decipher what they are. There is a lot of reflection within the diamonds, it's kozibe or from the girdles or bezels, but my eyes can't make out what the actual facet pattern is. I can only see the culets...

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
C6ED146C-C6B0-45C5-9DC9-A74D43EABAA7.jpeg 839BA9BD-CC65-49FB-A7D8-7FEFB2F621F3.jpeg
Here is my ring, please excuse the poor photography skills. I used a loupe to take the second one.

Congrats on the engagement, MissyMinx, and what a beautiful ring! There are a few of us from Sg here, we tend to hang out on IcyJade’s thread or BurmeseDaze’s thread. We’ve discussed local vendors and gem fairs/auctions, if you do a search you can find those posts. All budgets welcome! Mine is pretty modest although I have a few splurges now and then. Hope your OEC turns out beautiful!

threeonine

Rough_Rock
@missyminx I saw your thread while searching for some information myself. I recently (Like this week) purchased and OMC from IvyandRose. The have a great collection of OEC and OMC. You can find them on Esty IG or ebay. Their store in Chicago is Mydiamondzone.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Oh gosh, now I’m going to be hitting “refresh” on LT and Preloved pages in hopes of seeing posts from you!

Well it’s a 1ct J si2 (eye clean, the grade setter is a feather) and more towards the 60/60 end of the spectrum. I have been umming and ahing about sending it for certification. How can I contact you to send you details?

Last edited:

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
@peacechick Hello!!!! Thanks for your kind words. Very happy to know where the SG PSers are! I plan to get a pink or orange gemstone ring in the future, after all the weddings are done and dusted! As of now I still know next to nothing about coloured gems so I will hang out at the threads you've mentioned and absorb :)

@threeonine thanks for sharing. I have seen rose & ivy, and they are very reasonably priced.

@Lovesparklesparle I'm watching this space too just in case my online purchase doesn't work out!

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
B6559668-6E40-47AF-AF36-99660A9F7620.jpeg C3BD7B36-073D-4E9B-9DEE-82CD97D2AE1E.jpeg

I’m back! I received the oec this evening. It looks pretty bad on the aset and idealscope images and it’s a bit wonky but the spread is great! Here are the images to see just how bad it is. I’m interested to see what it’s like in daylight! Just gotta manage my expectations that it isn’t going to look like the beautiful oecs I’ve been eyeing here.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Can you get maybe straighter shots? It looks a little tilted? And a real life video/pics

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
What are the specs and price of this stone if you don’t mind sharing? Lots of red, wonky charm. I prefer symmetry, but daylight shots will let her personality come out! How does it make you feel? You don’t sound particularly over the moon

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B6559668-6E40-47AF-AF36-99660A9F7620.jpeg C3BD7B36-073D-4E9B-9DEE-82CD97D2AE1E.jpeg

I’m back! I received the oec this evening. It looks pretty bad on the aset and idealscope images and it’s a bit wonky but the spread is great! Here are the images to see just how bad it is. I’m interested to see what it’s like in daylight! Just gotta manage my expectations that it isn’t going to look like the beautiful oecs I’ve been eyeing here.
That actually doesn’t look as terrible as you say - I think it’s tilted. You’ve got a snowflake round the outside and potentially lots of brightness in the middle. Can you take some photos as well?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results