shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RLG

Shiny_Rock
The budget is 10,000 and the size is hopefully 1.5 carat. I''ve been looking at the usual places (goodoldgold and jamesallen) and see one that I like. However, I would welcome some other suggestions from people who are a bit more experienced at picking out asschers. Thank you so much.
28.gif

One I looked at and thought was ok but feel I can do better.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1079714.asp

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2007 6:36:54 PM
Author:RLG
The budget is 10,000 and the size is hopefully 1.5 carat. I''ve been looking at the usual places (goodoldgold and jamesallen) and see one that I like. However, I would welcome some other suggestions from people who are a bit more experienced at picking out asschers. Thank you so much.
28.gif

One I looked at and thought was ok but feel I can do better.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1079714.asp
Asschers are beautiful, RLG
1.gif
... I don''t know much about them but I did a quick search on Whiteflash and they seem to have quite a large selection in your $10K, 1.5 or greater range. I would love to help you search but I am not sure what makes one Asscher better than another.

Good luck! Let us know what you get.
36.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I got my asscher from a B&M, but as far as online vendors go, I think good old gold is fantastic. I think the videos comparing several different asschers is very valuable--you just can't get an asscher based on specs.

The specs for the stone you listed look good to me (some might say it's too deep, but I love depth closer to 70% with a high 50's, low 60's table), but have you gone to look at asschers in person with your girlfriend? I only ask because if it were me, I'd prefer a lower color grade (VS1 or VS2) and a higher color grade because I'm color sensitive. I have an F and didn't want to go any lower than a G, but some love the warmth of an H or an I. It's just a matter of what she likes.

RLG

Shiny_Rock
The one at good old gold I have been looking at is also an I. I''m not looking exactly for an I or for VVS1 it just seems to be those are the ones with the patterns I like (narrow windmills) at the size I like. There just dosent seem to be many out there online that have real photos up to look at.

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
There is no science to asschers, and they are really rare compared to other cuts. As a result, it''s really difficult to shop for them online (i.e. numbers tell you v. little). They are also notoriously difficult to photograph and get a good sense of light return. Every little tilt dramatically changes how they photograph.

So, looking at a photograph of an asscher doesn''t really tell you much of anything EXCEPT the windmill patern. You need an ASET image or at least an Idealscope image in order to figure out the light performance.

Because of this, I really advise that you call or e-mail directly Good Old Gold (who has done a ton of asscher searches for pricescopers) and also call James Allen, Whiteflash, Engagement Rings Direct, and exceldiamonds.

Give them your parameters (price range, color, clarity etc.) and ask for either ASET or Idealscope images for any diamonds they have in stock. IF they don''t have the dimaonds you want in stock, go with the most responsive jeweler to source some diamonds for you.

I think asschers are awesome and def. would love one for an engagement ring. However, they require a lot more perseverence than other cuts =/ Good luck with your search. Don''t get discouraged!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results