shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an Asscher....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
So my lady loves the Asscher (and so do I). My budget is about 10k for the stone. I already have a setting picked out. Could you guys/gals help point me in the right direction to find the perfect stone. I''m looking for a:

1.5ct.
D-F,
VVS1-VS2,
Very good cut
Table: 55-63
Depth: 60-72
L:W = 1 - 1.03

Am I missing anything? Is this possible?

Thanks everyone! Hopefully Strmrdr will reply, you seem to be very well informed about this cut.

- Chris

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I know that more of the "experts" will chime in...but I was wondering if you are looking for a diamond via online (such as PS vendors like Whiteflash?) or going to a local jeweler?

The main thing with asschers, I think, is to be sure to see it in person or purchase one online with a good refund policy...because asschers need to be viewed in person. They all have their own "personalities"...

I have a local jeweler looking for asschers, but if I find the right stone from a website, I''ll get it that way. I''d appreciate any advice on the best way to purchase. Thanks!

Chris

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I plugged VVS1 to VS2, D - F, 1.2 to 1.8 carat, in at Bluenile and it found 9 stones, but prices were from 12 K to 16K.

You may need to adjust your specs if you want to keep it at $10K for just the stone.

If you don't want to come down in size perhaps look at G to H stones.

I''d like to keep it colorless, so I''d rather have a smaller stone and keep it to an F minimum. If need be, I could go a bit higher on the price of the stone...

What do you think of this one from Bluenile?

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00956779&filter_id=0

Here''s the info:

Stock number: LD00956779
Price: $11,910
Bank wire price: $11,732
Carat weight: 1.53
Cut: Very Good
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 67.9%
Table %: 60%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Extremely thin to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.52 x 6.26 x 4.25 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.04

THANKS!!

Chris

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert but an extremly thin girdle make me nervous.
Also for it to vary from extremely thin to slightly thick makes me wonder about the care taken in the cutting/polishing of stone.

People here feel the asscher I bought is good and it has a depth of 67.27 and a table of 61.35, which is close to the one you posted.

I'd contact the Pricescope vendors Good old Gold and/or Whiteflash and ask them to look for you.

GOG is getting a reputation for pulling in nicely cut asschers but I don't know if that is a chicken or egg kind of thing, I've dealt with them both and I found them to be very reputable.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to PS Chris...I am sending this to Strm so he can check it out for you :} All the best!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
doesnt look promising.
Id contact Tim at www.goodoldgold.com and see what the top cutters have left.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's wrong with it?

Is the 1.04 ratio too far from 1.0?
The girdle too thin or uneven?
Symmetry is only Very Good?

There are no Crown or Pav depths, so it couldn't be that.

Do you not like bluenile?
Just curious why you dismissed it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 12:17:15 PM
Author: kenny
What''s wrong with it?

The 1.04 ratio?
The girdle too thin or uneven?

There are no Crown or Pav depths, so it couldn''t be that.

Do you not like bluenile?
Just curious why you dismissed it.
girdle and experence mostly.
When calling in asschers its playing the odds and that one just dont feel right.
I dont like v-thin girdles and unless it was a very very small natural in a small area that eliminates it right there.
It also sounds very famililar and if its the stone I think it is has allready been called in and found to stink.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 12:07:25 PM
Author: strmrdr
doesnt look promising.
Id contact Tim at www.goodoldgold.com and see what the top cutters have left.

FYI Strmdr ... *this* is the type of vague dismissal & pointed pimpery that leads folks to say "hmmmm".

I''ll give you the benefit of the doubt & believe that your recovering arm isn''t up to much typing ...

HOWEVER

I don''t think it''s fair to this particular poster ... without any pictures etc ... to dismiss this stone as not "promising".

And I say to other posters/asscher-hunters etc ... please don''t let ONE POSTER''s opinion affect your decision too much. Even the best amateur asscher-enthusiasts have "off days".
1.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Decodelighted has a point.
I'd be aware of how this appears.

Using "experience" and "just doesn't feel right" as reasons to reject a stone that has depth and table specs similar to my GOG asscher (which got rave reviews here), then quickly referring them to GOG would justifiably raise the eyebrows of readers, especially since you are an anonymous person.

Appearances are important even if everything is on the up and up.
Internet sales are all about comfort level and trust.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
deco: whatever...
my arm is killing me and I shouldnt be on here in the first place...
second the gog route is the easy route right now and asschers are big time picked over right now which is why I said see whats left.
Kenny asked for more info and got it.

When someone is paying me for answering questions here then I will spend an hour on each one but till then im answering the way I want too and thats that.
No one tells me what to post as long as its within the rules.

Im going to rest my arm, have a problem with that?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Is you and your GF color sensitive? To be honest, I have a 2ct "I" "VS1" Asscher. Remember asschers look smaller than most other cuts...I would look at (G-H) just to be sure you don't like their color, and see if you can stay in the 1.4-1.5 range.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with UCLA Belle.
Asshers do face up small for their weight.
I have a 2.26 carat asscher and it doesn't appear to be much over 1 carat when compared to a round.

Maybe see if you can live with a G or H and go up in weight - and this is from a person who loves high color.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 12:39:30 PM
Author: strmrdr
the gog route is the easy route right now
Easy for WHOM?

Stmdr,
1. Very sorry you''re in pain
2. Hope you feel better asap
3. No one''s forcing you to respond to any post
4. With reputation comes responsibility
5. You''re perfectly "within your rights" to ignore #4 and, fortunately, your last post will let future asscher-seekers know *exactly* where you stand

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 12:43:50 PM
I agree with UCLA Belle.
I have a 2.26 carat asscher and it doesn''t appear to be much over 1 carat when compared to a round.

Maybe see if you can live with a G or H and go up in weight - and this is from a person who loves high color.
That''s why I want about a 5 ct. one.

And I always heard go with G or higher with Asschers, so I''d think G would be fine.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2007 1:00:56 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/3/2007 12:43:50 PM
I agree with UCLA Belle.
I have a 2.26 carat asscher and it doesn't appear to be much over 1 carat when compared to a round.

That's why I want about a 5 ct. one.

And I always heard go with G or higher with Asschers, so I'd think G would be fine.
Ellen if you're gonna get that 5 carat asscher I think you should just go for it and get the D IF!

Come on. Live a little girl!
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 1:00:56 PM
Author: Ellen
I always heard go with G or higher with Asschers, so I''d think G would be fine.

Full disclosure: I have a 1.5 ct GIA "H" that the appraiser estimated as a "G" ... so I''m firmly in the "go as big as possible" asscher camp.

ESPECIALLY in this size range ... a 1.5 ct asscher looks more like a .9 carat or LESS round. The color just isn''t very apparent even though it''s a clear open cut.

Just my 2 cents.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. As to the Blue Nile Asscher... what is the setting you are considering Chris? I don''t like very thin girdles on asschers... and more to the point: I don''t like uneven girdles on asschers. In addtion it''s not very square with a 1.04 ratio so I think you could do better. But some of the girdle issues could be worked around with the right setting if you really like this stone. Another problem I have is that Blue Nile won''t give you pictures and with Asschers... pictures are vital... expecially since picking them in person is actually the best way to go... and in the absence of an in person choice... pictures are best.

When we worked with our jeweler to get in asschers to choose we gave him strict specs and asked for 3-6 stones to be brought in. When my DF went to pick my asscher from the rest... mine was not the most ''prefect'' on of the number in terms of specs (although the specs are excellent) ... mine was the brightest stone though and looked the best. You have to pick with your eyes... or someone''s eyes you trust. GOG has good eyes for asschers, which is why storm suggests them so often.

I have an F VS1 asscher and I too was adamant regarding the colorless designation. However, since I''ve been a member of this site I''ve seen many asschers in real life and I can honestly say that if I had to do it again the one thing I would do differently is to go down in color to a G or even an H and go larger in size. If you can, please go and see some asschers in real life ranging from H to E with GIA certs and see for yourself if you can live with a lower color. As an asscher owner and lover... the size is what gets you the most....

Gypsy,

The setting is a split shank with pave, it also has a crown of pave that will sit flush with the girdle of the stone (or maybe a hair below). I am having a hard time posting a picture of a similar setting. I have been in touch with Tim from GOG and he is also pushing the G colored stones. It seems like that''s the consensus. Does anyone out there think it''s a BAD idea to go below F for this stone????

There''s also another question - storm mentioned that Asschers have been pretty "picked over." Is that because the holiday season just passed or because they''re growing in popularity? Would I benefit from waiting a month or two?

Thanks all!

Chris

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 3:53:21 PM
Author: Chris-needs-an-Asscher
Gypsy,

The setting is a split shank with pave, it also has a crown of pave that will sit flush with the girdle of the stone (or maybe a hair below). I am having a hard time posting a picture of a similar setting. I have been in touch with Tim from GOG and he is also pushing the G colored stones. It seems like that''s the consensus. Does anyone out there think it''s a BAD idea to go below F for this stone????

There''s also another question - storm mentioned that Asschers have been pretty ''picked over.'' Is that because the holiday season just passed or because they''re growing in popularity? Would I benefit from waiting a month or two?

Thanks all!

Chris
G or h is fine for most people in this size asscher.

the answer to the picked over ? is both.
It was a very good year for them.
Id see whats available and not be in a hurry if one isn''t available.
You looking in the most popular size range so it might take a bit but you also might get lucky and a kicken one come back from memo from over Christmas.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 1:19:21 PM
Ellen if you''re gonna get that 5 carat asscher I think you should just go for it and get the D IF!

Come on. Live a little girl!
3.gif
Well hell, ya talked me into it.
9.gif

But just to be safe, I''ll tell hubby it was your idea.
5.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 3:53:21 PM
Author: Chris-needs-an-Asscher
Gypsy,

There''s also another question - storm mentioned that Asschers have been pretty ''picked over.'' Is that because the holiday season just passed or because they''re growing in popularity? Would I benefit from waiting a month or two?

Thanks all!

Chris

Um. Yeah. I am going to NEED to see a picture of that setting. It sounds... YUMMY!
30.gif
Where''d you see it? Is it designer? Who is it by? And if you don''t mind my asking... what''s it going to cost about?

As for G and H colored stones. I don''t think you''ll find anyone on here who won''t encourage you in that direction.

jimmerson

Rough_Rock

They might be picked over, but there are still some good ones out there. Came across a Daniel K Asscher in the jewelry store today that had the following #s:

1.33 G VS2
68.9 depth
60 table
thk
ex
ex

$8000

i found the setting at Milanj jewelers. I''m not sure who made it. I have to have a new one made though becuase the prongs for the stone will have it sitting too high above the pave crown and my lady wants it to sit flush (or close to it). It will cost between $4 and $5k. the one i saw was in platinum, which would be my preference, but GF wants white gold... any idea why??? suggestions?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hello Chris-needs-an-Asscher! Welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

The asscher search can be daunting, so don''t get discouraged. Storm is a huge help and gave me great advice when I was looking at asschers. His standards are probably a lot higher than mine though because I now have an asscher that "wasn''t a favorite", but I''m happy with it. This is one of those sensitivity things. Size sensitive, color sensitive, cut sensitive, etc.

I can confirm that the folks here are giving you great advice about the size and the need to see the stone in person. Asschers face up small, so the bigger the better, for sure. I can''t comment on D-F vs G - that''s also a sensitivity thing. You''ll have to see it and decide for yourself.

I did a quick search and there are a ton of stones that come up for your specs. In my humble opinion, it may be best for you to work with a vendor who you trust and who has a great upgrade policy. GOG has rec''d very good reviews. I have worked with WF and they are wonderful - very helpful and fair.

Also, pound the pavement - see what''s out there so you can narrow down what you like and dislike. For example, do you like small or large clipped corners, wide or narrow windmills, a deeper or shallower look.

Please keep us posted about what you find!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Strmrdr---you think my "I" is pretty, right ?
15.gif

j/k many think "I" is too low...but I just wanted a bit bigger of an asscher
41.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 1:11:31 PM
Author: UCLABelle
Strmrdr---you think my ''I'' is pretty, right ?
15.gif

j/k many think ''I'' is too low...but I just wanted a bit bigger of an asscher
41.gif
yeppers love ya I, whats more important is that you do :}
If someone puts the eyeball time in and wants and enjoys a i j k or even z colored asscher that''s kewl :}
I do think that H in the larger asschers is as low as I should recommend without them seeing the lower color stones first but once they see them then its not my recommendation on color that''s important but what their eyes told em.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why she wants gold instead of platinum?

Maybe because it is lighter and not as expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results