shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an Asscher....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 1/4/2007 2:14:13 PM
Author: kenny
Why she wants gold instead of platinum?

Maybe because it is lighter and not as expensive.
Is it noticably lighter? I doubt she cares about the $$, she doesn''t have to pay for it.... If she really doesn''t care which metal it is, would there be any reason for me to get platinum (other than to say that it''s platinum)?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes platinum is noticeably heavier than 18K or 14K gold.
Whether that makes one of them more desirable is 100% personal opinion.

Some people may have a skin reaction to some of the metals that are alloyed with white gold.
People feel this is less likely with platinum, though 100% platinum is not used either but its alloys are usually 95% platinum.

Most people get white gold plated with rhodium which makes it look whiter and more lustrous.
Unfortunately it wears off and has to be re-plated from time to time at a cost of, I think, around $40.

Date: 1/4/2007 2:46:47 PM
Author: kenny
Yes platinum is noticeably heavier than 18K or 14K gold.
Whether that makes one of them more desirable is 100% personal opinion.

Some people may have a skin reaction to some of the metals that are alloyed with white gold.
People feel this is less likely with platinum, though 100% platinum is not used either but its alloys are usually 95% platinum.

Most people get white gold plated with rhodium which makes it look whiter and more lustrous.
Unfortunately it wears off and has to be re-plated from time to time at a cost of, I think, around $40.
Thanks for the infor Kenny! What other info should I ask for when looking at stones? ASET images? Sarin? THANKS!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes get ASET images.
Those may be computer generated or optical.
I think you want lots of red alternating with green with a little blue thrown in.
Next even the perfect zero-tilt ASET pic is not as valuable as rocking stones in person under an ASET scope and looking for a stone that stays as red as possible at as many angles as possible. (Do I have that right experts?)

Do a search for what Garry Holloway has written here about 30 or 40 degree obscuration and backlit vs. not backlit.
He had reasons for wanting various shots.

I am not an expert but I really sympathize with asscher shoppers.
I got lucky; I just grabbed an asscher that there was a favorable consensus and much discussion on.

I have tried in vain to try to get threads started on what exactly to look for, good or bad, in asscher pics but it seems the powers that be here on PS have deemed that it is to remain mysterious, or else my writing style or personality is not compelling enough.
Perhaps the experts feel PS already offers asscher education that is clear, comprehensive and accessible to newbies. (I disagree.)

Frankly I feel sorry for anyone searching for an asscher here.
PS could put together a MUCH better asscher education section/corner/thread/FAQ.

You must do searches and read many many threads here to begin to understand they mysteries of asscher selection.
Then reread them.
Formulate your specific questions.
Ask them carefully, experts are temperamental and get sick of answering the same questions over and over.
Some are annoyed by having to explain things using language a newbie can understand.
It can be understandable when a newbie doesn't do his/her work and expects to be spoon-fed.

A good PS Asscher education section is badly needed.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny there is no conspiracy on why it isnt done yet....
If it happens im going to be the one doing it and my arm hasnt been up too it for months.
Its on my too do list when my arms better but its going to be atleast 6-8 weeks out.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Strm.
That's great news to hear.
36.gif

This is the first I have heard that such a thing is in work.
Sorry if I missed the thread announcing it.

Since you and Garry Holloway frequently have different opinions on the details of Asscher selection I hope you both can collaborate on the project.
I know you are two strong personalities but for the good of Pricescope I hope you can blend your expertise.

Writing is hard, especially when the author has a deep understanding of a technical subject and the intended readers are newbies.
It seems the deeper the understanding the harder it is write using simple concepts and terms.
It is almost as if the author has to develop the skill of temporarily not knowing anything while proofreading what he wrote.

I sure hope it includes a zillion pics with arrows and circles pointing to good and bad asscher features.
Pics are worth a thousand words.

I'm looking forward to the project and learning about Asschers, and why the one I bought is so groovy.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi again Chris-needs-an-Asscher!

Kenny is right that people rhodium-plate WG. People get platinum rhodium-plated also for the same reason - shine. The reason to get platinum over 18K is its color over time. Gold is a yellow metal. In order to make it white, it must be mixed with whiter metals. Over time, 18K WG can look brownish or reddish or yellowish. This happens with 14K also, but because of the lower gold content, it may not happen as soon/quickly. The color change does not happen generally with platinum, which is usually 90-95% platinum.

Platinum is definitely more expensive, but it does not discolor. Instead, it gets a "patina" if you do not keep up with the rhodium plating.

Hope this helps.

Also, check out this PS Journal article, courtesy of John at WF:

An Overview of Common Alloys Used in Jewelry

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Strmrdr-I was kidding. But I do value your opinion and do hope you think mine looks okay
5.gif
I agree, one should not buy any step-cut diamond (or really any diamond) that is I, J or lower without seeing it. Some people notice color more than others...

Chris- I would really try and find out why she wants white gold, maybe her personal reasons will make the decision 100% clear. Platinum is heavy, which is why I LOVE it for an e-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results