shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice with custom(ized) setting

troyguitar

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 22, 2015
Messages
1
Hello,

I've been scouring the internet and some jewelry stores for awhile now and have now gone through most of this site in addition to others in the search for the right engagement ring. Unfortunately after all that we have a very clear idea of what we want but it is not something that we have seen for sale anywhere. We have found a diamond that we're pretty sure is a great fit, but finding the setting is proving challenging. Here's a quick rundown of where we are:

Looking for a rose gold solitaire set for a radiant (cut corner square modified brilliant) diamond
14K Rose gold band, but white gold/platinum prongs
I really like this setting:

http://www.adiamor.com/media/rings/medium/Round/rose/r-1067.jpg

adiamor-setting-thumb.jpg


It has more interest than a plain band, with the ridges
and I find the tapering very appealing (with the beads at the end, too)

We would like to set a square brilliant diamond, just under 1 carat in this at a 45 degree angle like so:

http://katannutadiamonds.co.za/images_system/jewelry/Rotated_princess_cut_Kayley.jpg

rotated_princess_cut_kayley-thumb.jpg


We've read that this 45 degree setting can be called 'kite' or 'star' or 'on point' maybe other things
So, we'd take the setting above, rotate it 45 and ideally keep it set low in profile - close to the hand (not sticking up too far)

The gem we've found is from one site, the setting is from another and we have contacts at a local jewelry store that does custom work.

What is the simplest/most cost effective way to accomplish this mash-up logistically? The loose diamond is from James Allen and maybe they can do a custom setting that fits these desires but none of the settings on their site are anywhere close. The setting that we like but would want rotated 45 degrees and set low profile is from Adiamor.

We ideally do not want to spend more than ~$500 on the setting at this point which really limits the options. Maybe it's not even possible, but it is really hard to find any information or settings that have the diamond set in a "diamond shape" if you will. I've never bought jewelry before and want to know what to expect and what is possible before putting inquiries in to jewelers and ending up on more email/phone lists and setting up expectations with salespeople. Thanks
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
58,315
What you want is going to be challenging to find at $500. You can find many stock settings at $500, but not with customization like you want. The only recommendation I have is to contact David Klass Jewelry (see his facebook page for phone number). He does nice custom work at the lowest prices I know of. So that is likely your best bet.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,225
He's still going to be over budget though. I got a simple quote from him and it was over 1000 bucks.
 

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 19, 2003
Messages
1,290
troyguitar|1450906033|3965437 said:
What is the simplest/most cost effective way to accomplish this mash-up logistically? The loose diamond is from James Allen and maybe they can do a custom setting that fits these desires but none of the settings on their site are anywhere close. The setting that we like but would want rotated 45 degrees and set low profile is from Adiamor.

The simplest way to do this is to buy the band portion of this from Adiamor. Take it and the stone you've chosen to a jeweler who is willing to add a head for your diamond to that band and ask them to attach the head at the 45° angle and set the stone. This is probably not going to fly for under $500 since Adiamor wants close to that for the band portion alone. Your jeweler will charge at least a couple hundred for adding a head and setting the stone, but it's what you want and it will include the stone setting.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
58,315
Gypsy|1450936862|3965644 said:
He's still going to be over budget though. I got a simple quote from him and it was over 1000 bucks.

Not sure. I know someone who just got a solitaire for $600 very recently. So that's why I made the suggestion.

Michael E probably has the easiest suggestion since they want a particular shank and they wouldn't have to send the diamond anywhere.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
19,626
diamondseeker2006|1450976893|3965805 said:
Gypsy|1450936862|3965644 said:
He's still going to be over budget though. I got a simple quote from him and it was over 1000 bucks.

Not sure. I know someone who just got a solitaire for $600 very recently. So that's why I made the suggestion.

Michael E probably has the easiest suggestion since they want a particular shank and they wouldn't have to send the diamond anywhere.

I've had soli quotes ranging from 400-650 for a plain 14k gold soli with DK
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
    eBay Launches Authentication for Fine Jewelry
    eBay Launches Authentication for Fine Jewelry - 08/17
    Natural Diamond Prices - August 2022
    Natural Diamond Prices - August 2022 - 08/16
    Our Favorite Celebrity Engagement Rings Of 2022
    Our Favorite Celebrity Engagement Rings Of 2022 - 08/12
Top