shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice on ruby ring

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hi Voce,

I suppose pricing will depend on the vendor and the market you’re in. I have seen 30-35% discount to unheated for low heat only (no flux, no fillers), you may know otherwise.

On color I said 4 because while it probably is a 3.5 in terms of spectral purity (but who knows without equipment), the overall appeal is affected by the inclusions and I think AGL factors that in to some extent in the color grade. I might be wrong though.
Regardless, 4 is a very good score so I didn’t mean to diminish its beauty.

In cases where I've seen 30-35% discount only, I've just considered that overpriced. Even without taking color and quality into consideration, there's many times more heat only Burmese rubies available.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
@CircularBrilliant you can also consider rubellite.

I compared my rubellite (in ring) to a ruby and couldn’t quite justify the price to buy the ruby after that:

D89AB94E-21C9-4FC4-BBE3-8B579FD16860.jpeg D5801B11-9268-49E9-A8A9-3D069B39DCC2.jpeg
uv effect for ruby:
DF246029-1C64-49CB-BF4C-C428F708DD8C.jpeg

Oh ya and spinel:
F71B9FA7-1963-45CA-B8AE-0C8898FE9FEF.jpeg

Thanks! That's a lovely color on your rubellite--I always thought rubellites were more pink, but yours seems quite true red. Very pretty spinel, too! Can rubellites glow in sunlight, or is that only possible with ruby or spinel?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Can rubellites glow in sunlight, or is that only possible with ruby or spinel?

Red is possible for rubellite. But I think is rare? And no unfortunately they don’t glow but if they did I suppose they wouldn’t be priced so much less than a ruby.

The Burmese spinel is graded red by GIA.

Ultimately rubies are expensive - I enjoy my rubellite and spinel for what they are and wouldn’t think about passing them off as rubies. Personally I enjoy their size and color.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
CircularBrilliant
I am definitely going to explore my options with spinel if this goes back (which is the direction I am leaning now). Good luck in your hunt for a lab ruby with the look you want! If you wind up finding it, please share lots of pictures :)

Will do. If you decide to keep the natural ruby and find that you're still not sure about it later on, I can always swap it with you for my future lab ruby :twisted:

But seriously, I hope you find the right stone whatever that might be - if it's a ruby or a red spinel, a good one for a good price will probably hold its value or even go up.

Do share pics of any future stones you buy - I'm a sucker for red stones!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
@CircularBrilliant you can also consider rubellite.

I compared my rubellite (in ring) to a ruby and couldn’t quite justify the price to buy the ruby after that:

D89AB94E-21C9-4FC4-BBE3-8B579FD16860.jpeg D5801B11-9268-49E9-A8A9-3D069B39DCC2.jpeg
uv effect for ruby:
DF246029-1C64-49CB-BF4C-C428F708DD8C.jpeg

Oh ya and spinel:
F71B9FA7-1963-45CA-B8AE-0C8898FE9FEF.jpeg

Lovely rubellite - looks so similar to a ruby too in the photo. I don't have a rubellite yet but it's on my ever-growing bucket list. Inclusions can make them interesting too, I heard.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, is your handle name CircularBrilliant because you love diamonds? Just wondered.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I wanted to report back in case anyone is wondering what I decided. I am usually pretty decisive about what I love and what I do not, so my struggle with this one surprised me. As I got to spend more time with the ring, I began to really appreciate the ruby -- the color is so beautiful, and it has such a rich deep glow that truly outshines my lab ruby (beautiful though the lab is!). Although I wouldn't say she sparkled, she was lively in her own way (as if there were layers of glow that appeared as the stone moved). I had a really hard time thinking about sending her back, but also wasn't quite ready to fully commit to her at the cost of locking up my jewelry budget for the foreseeable future. It was my hesitance on the latter point that decided it for me. I'm really thankful to everyone who weighed in, and for all of the advice I got. At the end of the day, this isn't the one for me, but I have a much deeper appreciation for fine natural rubies now, and I am firmly committed to the hunt!

I had a really hard time thinking about sending her back, but also wasn't quite ready to fully commit to her at the cost of locking up my jewelry budget for the foreseeable future. It was my hesitance on the latter point that decided it for me.

This is such a good point. My DH once asked me if I bought item A and then item B came along but I had no $ for it, would I regret having spent my money on A? Since then, I've used that as a gauge of how badly I want something, and whether it was the "right" piece for me at that time.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Hello, I wanted to report back in case anyone is wondering what I decided. I am usually pretty decisive about what I love and what I do not, so my struggle with this one surprised me. As I got to spend more time with the ring, I began to really appreciate the ruby -- the color is so beautiful, and it has such a rich deep glow that truly outshines my lab ruby (beautiful though the lab is!). Although I wouldn't say she sparkled, she was lively in her own way (as if there were layers of glow that appeared as the stone moved). I had a really hard time thinking about sending her back, but also wasn't quite ready to fully commit to her at the cost of locking up my jewelry budget for the foreseeable future. It was my hesitance on the latter point that decided it for me. I'm really thankful to everyone who weighed in, and for all of the advice I got. At the end of the day, this isn't the one for me, but I have a much deeper appreciation for fine natural rubies now, and I am firmly committed to the hunt!

I came back to this thread because I wonder what you decided! You made the right decision- you have to be 100% :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I came back to this thread because I wonder what you decided! You made the right decision- you have to be 100% :)

I was also going to ask if you would mind sharing the Etsy seller you got your lab from? I’m always on the lookout for good Etsy vintage sellers.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
I was also going to ask if you would mind sharing the Etsy seller you got your lab from? I’m always on the lookout for good Etsy vintage sellers.

To be honest, despite how much I love the ring, I would not be comfortable recommending the seller. He represented the prongs as secure, but the stone was audibly rattling around in the setting. When I contacted him about it, he accused me of damaging the ring and exaggerating the risks of the stone being loose. Etsy did intervene after I took it to a local jeweler for repair, but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, despite how much I love the ring, I would not be comfortable recommending the seller. He represented the prongs as secure, but the stone was audibly rattling around in the setting. When I contacted him about it, he accused me of damaging the ring and exaggerating the risks of the stone being loose. Etsy did intervene after I took it to a local jeweler for repair, but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh wow goodness thanks for the head's up - and how frustrating!!

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
Hello all, I am reporting back after having continued forth with my ruby journey. Thank you again to everyone who weighed in on this thread -- I have learned so much from PS, and am so appreciative of this community.

Earlier this year, I worked with Inken on a ruby eternity that I absolutely love and wear all the time. Now she has helped me find a gorgeous larger ruby (2.13ct). This one is a different flavor than the rubies in my eternity ring--winza (rather than burmese) and slightly pinkish red (rather than truly red red). But different does not mean worse! The way she lights up in the sun is just breathtaking, and AGL gave her a 3/75-80 on color and a TQI rating of excellent :) Inken called her a "jedi" ruby -- she has the richness and depth of a ruby, but glows like a jedi spinel (and sparkles too!). I didn't have much sunlight to work with before sending her back to Inken for setting, but I did manage one short video to show her glow:

And here are a couple of videos from Inken:

What I learned from my hunt is that it is possible to have a lively, sparkly ruby -- it just requires that the ruby have high crystal quality. While not easy to find, they are out there.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hello all, I am reporting back after having continued forth with my ruby journey. Thank you again to everyone who weighed in on this thread -- I have learned so much from PS, and am so appreciative of this community.

Earlier this year, I worked with Inken on a ruby eternity that I absolutely love and wear all the time. Now she has helped me find a gorgeous larger ruby (2.13ct). This one is a different flavor than the rubies in my eternity ring--winza (rather than burmese) and slightly pinkish red (rather than truly red red). But different does not mean worse! The way she lights up in the sun is just breathtaking, and AGL gave her a 3/75-80 on color and a TQI rating of excellent :) Inken called her a "jedi" ruby -- she has the richness and depth of a ruby, but glows like a jedi spinel (and sparkles too!). I didn't have much sunlight to work with before sending her back to Inken for setting, but I did manage one short video to show her glow:

And here are a couple of videos from Inken:

What I learned from my hunt is that it is possible to have a lively, sparkly ruby -- it just requires that the ruby have high crystal quality. While not easy to find, they are out there.

Absolutely stunning - I was drooling over this on IG! I love a pinkish red color, the glow + sparkle on this stone is leaving me weak at the knees!

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely stunning - I was drooling over this on IG! I love a pinkish red color, the glow + sparkle on this stone is leaving me weak at the knees!

Thank you! When Inken first posted her, I thought she was pretty, but was skeptical of the pinkishness. But then I had a chance to see a small winza ruby in person, and realized how amazing they can be. I'm so glad no one had snapped this one up in the meantime!

M

maru8888777

what an absolutely gorgeous stone! And the fluorescence!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yes!
This is what we want, a stone that makes a heart sing. You found a beautiful and unique stone and it will bring you continued joy. I am excited to see what piece you decide to showcase this stone in, it's going to be spectacular.

I'm one of those people who usually turns her nose up at pinkish rubies... welp, you're changing my mind. She's just alive with color!! And so clean, which is incredible. I also tend to like a touch of silk in my rubies, but the sparkle from this crystal must be insane in person. Plus, it's untreated and has strong fluor (which are both a must in my book). I'm not surprised Inken nailed it. You did really well, and just in time for xmas!! Big congrats!! P.S. Also love your eternity band.

cringlecancan.gif

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
what an absolutely gorgeous stone! And the fluorescence!

Thank you!

Yes!
This is what we want, a stone that makes a heart sing. You found a beautiful and unique stone and it will bring you continued joy. I am excited to see what piece you decide to showcase this stone in, it's going to be spectacular.

Thank you! I'm so happy I found her :)

I'm one of those people who usually turns her nose up at pinkish rubies... welp, you're changing my mind. She's just alive with color!! And so clean, which is incredible. I also tend to like a touch of silk in my rubies, but the sparkle from this crystal must be insane in person. Plus, it's untreated and has strong fluor (which are both a must in my book). I'm not surprised Inken nailed it. You did really well, and just in time for xmas!! Big congrats!! P.S. Also love your eternity band.

cringlecancan.gif

Thank you! I was originally of the same mind, but I definitely love this one, and it seems like there's a bit of extra brightness that comes from the clear crystal + tinge of pink. She's very different from my eternity band rubies, but just as special in her own way :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
So gorgeous!!! How are you going to set her?

Last edited:

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
So gorgeous!!! How are you going to set her?

Thank you! The plan is to do an antique-style cluster. Inken is going to see what she can find for old cut diamonds, and we'll go from there :)

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my! That is one gorgeous ruby. I think it will make your heart sing, and that is the whole point!

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
Oh my! That is one gorgeous ruby. I think it will make your heart sing, and that is the whole point!

Thank you! I am so excited about finding her, and can't wait to have her back set and ready to wear :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results