shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice on ruby ring

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hi Voce,

I suppose pricing will depend on the vendor and the market you’re in. I have seen 30-35% discount to unheated for low heat only (no flux, no fillers), you may know otherwise.

On color I said 4 because while it probably is a 3.5 in terms of spectral purity (but who knows without equipment), the overall appeal is affected by the inclusions and I think AGL factors that in to some extent in the color grade. I might be wrong though.
Regardless, 4 is a very good score so I didn’t mean to diminish its beauty.

In cases where I've seen 30-35% discount only, I've just considered that overpriced. Even without taking color and quality into consideration, there's many times more heat only Burmese rubies available.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
@CircularBrilliant you can also consider rubellite.

I compared my rubellite (in ring) to a ruby and couldn’t quite justify the price to buy the ruby after that:

D89AB94E-21C9-4FC4-BBE3-8B579FD16860.jpeg D5801B11-9268-49E9-A8A9-3D069B39DCC2.jpeg
uv effect for ruby:
DF246029-1C64-49CB-BF4C-C428F708DD8C.jpeg

Oh ya and spinel:
F71B9FA7-1963-45CA-B8AE-0C8898FE9FEF.jpeg

Thanks! That's a lovely color on your rubellite--I always thought rubellites were more pink, but yours seems quite true red. Very pretty spinel, too! Can rubellites glow in sunlight, or is that only possible with ruby or spinel?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Can rubellites glow in sunlight, or is that only possible with ruby or spinel?

Red is possible for rubellite. But I think is rare? And no unfortunately they don’t glow but if they did I suppose they wouldn’t be priced so much less than a ruby.

The Burmese spinel is graded red by GIA.

Ultimately rubies are expensive - I enjoy my rubellite and spinel for what they are and wouldn’t think about passing them off as rubies. Personally I enjoy their size and color.

CircularBrilliant
I am definitely going to explore my options with spinel if this goes back (which is the direction I am leaning now). Good luck in your hunt for a lab ruby with the look you want! If you wind up finding it, please share lots of pictures :)

Will do. If you decide to keep the natural ruby and find that you're still not sure about it later on, I can always swap it with you for my future lab ruby :twisted:

But seriously, I hope you find the right stone whatever that might be - if it's a ruby or a red spinel, a good one for a good price will probably hold its value or even go up.

Do share pics of any future stones you buy - I'm a sucker for red stones!

@CircularBrilliant you can also consider rubellite.

I compared my rubellite (in ring) to a ruby and couldn’t quite justify the price to buy the ruby after that:

D89AB94E-21C9-4FC4-BBE3-8B579FD16860.jpeg D5801B11-9268-49E9-A8A9-3D069B39DCC2.jpeg
uv effect for ruby:
DF246029-1C64-49CB-BF4C-C428F708DD8C.jpeg

Oh ya and spinel:
F71B9FA7-1963-45CA-B8AE-0C8898FE9FEF.jpeg

Lovely rubellite - looks so similar to a ruby too in the photo. I don't have a rubellite yet but it's on my ever-growing bucket list. Inclusions can make them interesting too, I heard.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I wanted to report back in case anyone is wondering what I decided. I am usually pretty decisive about what I love and what I do not, so my struggle with this one surprised me. As I got to spend more time with the ring, I began to really appreciate the ruby -- the color is so beautiful, and it has such a rich deep glow that truly outshines my lab ruby (beautiful though the lab is!). Although I wouldn't say she sparkled, she was lively in her own way (as if there were layers of glow that appeared as the stone moved). I had a really hard time thinking about sending her back, but also wasn't quite ready to fully commit to her at the cost of locking up my jewelry budget for the foreseeable future. It was my hesitance on the latter point that decided it for me. I'm really thankful to everyone who weighed in, and for all of the advice I got. At the end of the day, this isn't the one for me, but I have a much deeper appreciation for fine natural rubies now, and I am firmly committed to the hunt!

AnastasiaBeaverhausen

Brilliant_Rock
I had a really hard time thinking about sending her back, but also wasn't quite ready to fully commit to her at the cost of locking up my jewelry budget for the foreseeable future. It was my hesitance on the latter point that decided it for me.

This is such a good point. My DH once asked me if I bought item A and then item B came along but I had no $ for it, would I regret having spent my money on A? Since then, I've used that as a gauge of how badly I want something, and whether it was the "right" piece for me at that time.

Mreader

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, I wanted to report back in case anyone is wondering what I decided. I am usually pretty decisive about what I love and what I do not, so my struggle with this one surprised me. As I got to spend more time with the ring, I began to really appreciate the ruby -- the color is so beautiful, and it has such a rich deep glow that truly outshines my lab ruby (beautiful though the lab is!). Although I wouldn't say she sparkled, she was lively in her own way (as if there were layers of glow that appeared as the stone moved). I had a really hard time thinking about sending her back, but also wasn't quite ready to fully commit to her at the cost of locking up my jewelry budget for the foreseeable future. It was my hesitance on the latter point that decided it for me. I'm really thankful to everyone who weighed in, and for all of the advice I got. At the end of the day, this isn't the one for me, but I have a much deeper appreciation for fine natural rubies now, and I am firmly committed to the hunt!

I came back to this thread because I wonder what you decided! You made the right decision- you have to be 100% :)

Mreader

Brilliant_Rock
I came back to this thread because I wonder what you decided! You made the right decision- you have to be 100% :)

I was also going to ask if you would mind sharing the Etsy seller you got your lab from? I’m always on the lookout for good Etsy vintage sellers.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
I was also going to ask if you would mind sharing the Etsy seller you got your lab from? I’m always on the lookout for good Etsy vintage sellers.

To be honest, despite how much I love the ring, I would not be comfortable recommending the seller. He represented the prongs as secure, but the stone was audibly rattling around in the setting. When I contacted him about it, he accused me of damaging the ring and exaggerating the risks of the stone being loose. Etsy did intervene after I took it to a local jeweler for repair, but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Mreader

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest, despite how much I love the ring, I would not be comfortable recommending the seller. He represented the prongs as secure, but the stone was audibly rattling around in the setting. When I contacted him about it, he accused me of damaging the ring and exaggerating the risks of the stone being loose. Etsy did intervene after I took it to a local jeweler for repair, but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh wow goodness thanks for the head's up - and how frustrating!!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    Diamond Prices - April 2021
    Diamond Prices - April 2021

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.