shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice for sizing/repair on 2/3 eternity band

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
HI ALL!!
I'm hoping you ladies might be able to steer me in the right direction reguarding this ring i have.
I bought it when i was looking for a cheap eternity band to go with my updated diamond. I got it on ebay for next to nothing. The good news: its gorgeous, well made, and exactly what i was looking for!
Bad news: even though it was sold to me a a aize 6 (i am a size 5.75) its HUGE on me. My jeweler says this is because of the rope design on the interior (see pics) causes it to fit differently. I mean, its so huge on me it actually tilts on my finger and i can shake it off (again, see pics). I initially just thought "i'll just sell it, i dont want to wreck such a pretty ring by sizing it and messing up the interior." So i tried to sell it, and i was being honest about the fit...and no one wants it! So now i am back to square one, and thinking i should size it and keep it (i do love the ring!). So now my question: does anyone know of a jeweler who could size this,
a. to fit properly, even though a mandrel says its pretty much my size now (its not)
b. And not mess up the interior rope design too much?

Thanks in advance!

20200103_083437.jpg

20200103_083424.jpg

20200103_083326.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IF you are sizing enough so that you can remove one whole "section" of rope, it's pretty easy to do. I've done it on silver rings before. I would take it to several jewelers and ask. I would be more concerned about finding someone who will re-tighten all the prongs on the diamonds if necessary.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this a DY ring? If so, I would take it to one of their stores and see if they can help you size it.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Is this a DY ring? If so, I would take it to one of their stores and see if they can help you size it.

Oh wow thanks for letting me know this info! I bought the ring pre-owned and it came with no info but an appraisal, and it is unmarked platinum. But it really does resemble the eden partial eternity by DY. Are DY rings unmarked?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow thanks for letting me know this info! I bought the ring pre-owned and it came with no info but an appraisal, and it is unmarked platinum. But it really does resemble the eden partial eternity by DY. Are DY rings unmarked?

I am really not very familiar with their products especially wedding bands, but it looks similar to this ring: https://www.davidyurman.com/product...d-with-diamonds-in-platinum-185mm-wr.pdp.html
If you have a store nearby, you can bring yours for comparison. Just say that you got it as a gift, they will tell you if it’s not one of theirs.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its really pretty
It was a sign you are ment to keep it when it didn't sell
What about sizing beads ?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The ring likely can be sized to fit your finger, but wearing it next to your large diamond means it will always want to tip closer on one side than the other. It could easily be made a 1/2 size smaller in the no-diamond zone of the ring since it is a 2/3 eternity style. Then I suggest you have it tack soldered to your engagement ring at the base of the two shanks and possibly also on the prongs of the center diamond in an inconspicuous place, like underneath the wedding ring top and onto the prongs of the center diamond where it would not appears as a visible solder joint when it is being worn. None of this would be a big job to have done. I suspect their would be a substantial improvement.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I am really not very familiar with their products especially wedding bands, but it looks similar to this ring: https://www.davidyurman.com/product...d-with-diamonds-in-platinum-185mm-wr.pdp.html
If you have a store nearby, you can bring yours for comparison. Just say that you got it as a gift, they will tell you if it’s not one of theirs.
Yeah it really does look almost exactly the same. I did look at some examples of the DY one on ebay, and they seem to all have a tiny but fairly wide plaque on the inside with the makers mark, and mine has none. Not even a flat place where one could have been. So strange! I guess I could call tho and see if they ever sold unmarked ones?

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Its really pretty
It was a sign you are ment to keep it when it didn't sell
What about sizing beads ?

I wish i could! But sizing beads drive me crazy. I tried them in another ring and i cant stand the feeling. I wish I could get over it, it would be a great solution.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
The ring likely can be sized to fit your finger, but wearing it next to your large diamond means it will always want to tip closer on one side than the other. It could easily be made a 1/2 size smaller in the no-diamond zone of the ring since it is a 2/3 eternity style. Then I suggest you have it tack soldered to your engagement ring at the base of the two shanks and possibly also on the prongs of the center diamond in an inconspicuous place, like underneath the wedding ring top and onto the prongs of the center diamond where it would not appears as a visible solder joint when it is being worn. None of this would be a big job to have done. I suspect their would be a substantial improvement.

Hello Oldminer!
Yes i think it needs to go down 1/3 to 1/2 size. Im not concerned about a gap between the rings, i just used that photo to show what happens to the band when i press my fingers together. Besides, at present time i have 6 (!) wedding bands that i switch out based on mood or situation. So right now i just really want to get it sized properly without any damage to the cable interior.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
IF you are sizing enough so that you can remove one whole "section" of rope, it's pretty easy to do. I've done it on silver rings before. I would take it to several jewelers and ask. I would be more concerned about finding someone who will re-tighten all the prongs on the diamonds if necessary.

Sorry i forgot to answer you....
Yes i do want all that done. The problem i have is that in my area the small jewelers will all say "yeah, sure I can do that!" charge me only $35 or so (which makes me wince, i think that the time of a skilled technician should cost a little more than that!), and then hand you back a messed up, dinged up ring. I'd really rather send it out to someone that is trustworthy and willing to do a job so small. :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah it really does look almost exactly the same. I did look at some examples of the DY one on ebay, and they seem to all have a tiny but fairly wide plaque on the inside with the makers mark, and mine has none. Not even a flat place where one could have been. So strange! I guess I could call tho and see if they ever sold unmarked ones?

You can compare better since you have the ring on hand. I am not sure where you are located, but if you haven’t tried this ring in the summer, I’d recommend waiting until the summer before you decide on resizing. My size, for example, fluctuates quite a bit between the seasons. In the meantime, I’d recommend purchasing this ring sizing product . It works like a charm and it’s actually comfortable to wear.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
You can compare better since you have the ring on hand. I am not sure where you are located, but if you haven’t tried this ring in the summer, I’d recommend waiting until the summer before you decide on resizing. My size, for example, fluctuates quite a bit between the seasons. In the meantime, I’d recommend purchasing this ring sizing product . It works like a charm and it’s actually comfortable to wear.

My size fluctuates too! About 1/2 a size in really humid weather. But ive had this ring for almost 2 years, trying to decide what to do with it. And its too big in summer as well. In winter its completely unwearable. Its so strange that it measures a size 6 on a mandrel. Even that appraisal the ring came with says size six. It fits me more like a 7.
I am going to call DY in the morning and explain my dilemma. I really dont want to drive a the way to the nearest boutique (its pretty far) just to be turned away. I am going to have to be honest about it not being marked though. I suspect they will either say its not theirs, or that it must have been worked on by an outside party and they wont touch it now, so im not very hopeful. Wish me luck!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It makes sense that it’s 6 on a mandrel but fits like a seven - fingers squish into the empty spaces of the rope style but a mandrel doesn’t.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! Im back to trying to sell thiis band, as i found a tiffany 2.5 mm channel band that works beautifully with my solitaire. I have someone interested in the band, but it would need to be sized to a 4. Does anyone think this is doable?
Thank you!

Jgramm

Rough_Rock
I’m that gal! The interior rope design isn’t important for me to keep (it would be nice but not a deal breaker). I’m mostly just concerned about maintaining the proper curve so I don’t have diamonds popping out

Last edited:

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I’m that gal! The interior rope design isn’t important for me to keep (it would be nice but not a deal breaker). I’m mostly just concerned about maintaining the proper curve so I don’t have diamonds popping out

Hi there! :wavey:
Too funny, because I was just going to email you and ask if you were a member here, and if so, give us a bump! Hopefully someone will see this activity and drop by? Fingers crossed!!

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Bump!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results