shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a purple-blue 7mm round spinel

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Lisa, that's a nice option, I just looked at it further.

Niel, I want that one!! lol.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1446926482|3946719 said:

I think we are at the point where finding a spinel like yours is much harder than finding a similar color sapphire. Yours is lovely. I like the one Niel posted too.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
LisaRN|1446926997|3946722 said:
katharath|1446926482|3946719 said:

I think we are at the point where finding a spinel like yours is much harder than finding a similar color sapphire. Yours is lovely. I like the one Niel posted too.

I do think you're probably right, and your MC stone is a good choice bc it gets the size, durability (which we know could be an issue with tanzanite, even though you can get the good color with that gem) and close on price range.

I was really hoping that the round that Niel had posted upthread would be perfect, bc it hit everything the OP had asked for on paper. But we had to dig a bit deeper to find out the true color preference, so now I see why it wouldn't work. And I get it, bc I love the same color :)

Oh and Lisa, TY for the compliment on my spinel, I appreciate it. I really love that gem!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Lele, do you like any of these? They are all sapphires or tanzanites from Jeff Davies.

_35183.jpg

_35184.jpg

_35185.jpg

_35186.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
One more. A sapphire too. Just trying to gauge color preferences or see if gems other than spinels might work.

_35187.jpg

lele88

Rough_Rock
LisaRN That one looks a bit blue to me.

Thanks for your insight katharath I do not mind a bit of grey just not too grey, right now I am looking at all options within the color range to my eye. I am not fond of the red-er tones. Id rather have grey or blue undertones than red. I am looking for examples to post to hopeful shed a little light on the color range I am looking for. I have been looking at sapphires too.

The size and shape; I am an "amazonian woman" with long fingers ring size 7.5, when the bf and I went ring shopping, we both agreed the smaller stones looked silly on my fingers. ( my fingers tend to dwarf things) They started looking acceptable at 7mm. As for as the shape I love the round with 6 prongs look. I have been considering shifting my search to include an oval. Unfortunately this means I will have to seek out a new setting. I saw the photos you have posted I now see the difference in color tones. the pear shape is a beautiful beautiful, but the one to the left of it is interesting to me. That color has tones which are acceptable too.

Neil The stone you have posted is very pretty on hand.

Maybe have to go to the drawing board with the ring setting to accommodate an oval

lele88

Rough_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't call 7.5 amazon fingers. Those really aren't that large. And there are people here with larger. I know the feeling though ;-) this place can make your fingers self conscious

Why would you have to change the setting? Lots of shapes accommodate a thin pave band. Colored stones aren't like diamonds. If you're going to be particular about color, size, price and shape - somethings got to give.

lele88

Rough_Rock
Niel said:
Don't call 7.5 amazon fingers. Those really aren't that large. And there are people here with larger. I know the feeling though ;-) this place can make your fingers self conscious

Why would you have to change the setting? Lots of shapes accommodate a thin pave band. Colored stones aren't like diamonds. If you're going to be particular about color, size, price and shape - somethings got to give.

Well I was thinking tweaking the setting might accommodate the more common oval shape stones I am coming across. On the setting I posted I especially love the details on the prongs. This is the feature that sells that particular setting for me.

(I am an "amazonian woman" with long fingers ring size 7.5) Kind of an inside joke with an old coworker, she considered any woman over 5'10 to be an amazonian woman. I do not feel my fingers are especially large, just long. People often comment not on the size of them but the length. Think ET length :boohoo: ha ha

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lele88|1446938078|3946803 said:
Niel said:
I'm still looking for you:)

How's this stike you?

http://gemrite.com/spinel/91-violet-spinel-185-cts.html

This one is very pretty I do like it, a lot. The bf also approves. How is the cut in your opinon?

The photos it looks very well cut, the video makes it look like it has extinction, but that very well may be the big black camera shoved in its face lol

I've been told the vids are the most accurate.

I've also seen some settings with 6 prong cushions. Might need to be done by someone like a greenlake jewelry or David klass, but with that being under400, it doesn't take much of your 2k max budgi

lele88

Rough_Rock
Niel said:
Niel said:

How's this stike you?

This one is very pretty I do like it, a lot. The bf also approves. How is the cut in your opinon?

The photos it looks very well cut, the video makes it look like it has extinction, but that very well may be the big black camera shoved in its face lol

I've also seen some settings with 6 prong cushions. Might need to be done by someone like a greenlake jewelry or David klass, but with that being under400, it doesn't take much of your 2k max budgi

That's what I was thinking too. I will have to review the return policy, I'd like to get it in my mitts. That was going to be my next question. I will have to see if we can just have a setting made for the stone. Where we live there are not any local jewlery that are not chains to do this for us. I know there is a topic on settings I will have to find it.

Do you have a ballpark idea about how much a setting like the one I fancy will cost to have made? If not that's OK I will have to keep researching further.

Thank you for sticking with me, and lending a hand. I always joke that I'm high maintenance, funny thing about it sometimes I am without even trying. Even though the BF disagrees, he does not think I'm high maintenance at all. Bless his heart

lele88

Rough_Rock
katharath said:
Lele, do you like any of these? They are all sapphires or tanzanites from Jeff Davies.

I tried to sign up for the site. It took all my info then told me I was blocked. I have emailed for support on the issue. Yes some of those sapphires did catch my eye early on.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lele88|1446939013|3946812 said:
Niel said:
Niel said:

How's this stike you?

That's what I was thinking too. I will have to review the return policy, I'd like to get it in my mitts. That was going to be my next question. I will have to see if we can just have a setting made for the stone. Where we live there are not any local jewlery that are not chains to do this for us. I know there is a topic on settings I will have to find it.

Do you have a ballpark idea about how much a setting like the one I fancy will cost to have made? If not that's OK I will have to keep researching further.

Thank you for sticking with me, and lending a hand. I always joke that I'm high maintenance, funny thing about it sometimes I am without even trying. Even though the BF disagrees, he does not think I'm high maintenance at all. Bless his heart

You aren't high maintenance, well, I mean, no more than any of the rest of us lol
As for a custom there are designers that in your budget for a pave band depending on the metal and the design

I think it's a good idea to see them in person that's the only way to really get a feel. Just try not to go in with any expectations when you get it. Don't try and love it, but don't try and hate it lol

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lele88|1446940256|3946819 said:
katharath said:

I tried to sign up for the site. It took all my info then told me I was blocked. I have emailed for support on the issue. Yes some of those sapphires did catch my eye early on.

This happened to me when I tried to sign up also, but when I emailed Jeff he fixed the issue. I think maybe it takes a while for the site to sign you up, but after that it works fine :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gingercurls|1447000771|3947038 said:
You might want to consider this one as well:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/236493469/095-carat-precision-cut-oval-color?ref=shop_home_active_1

It is precision cut and meets your desired mm measurement. However, it does weigh a little under a carat.

il_570xn_156.jpg

I saw that too! But its so expensive for the size. Reminds me of this one, which is twice the size and less expensive. I was going to mention , OP, this stone is from a vendor who could do the setting for you at the same time, I'd that is important to you.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=3360

3360-3.jpg

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This thread is bringing back a lot of memories for me!

coas222

Rough_Rock
Hey Lele,

I took a picture of these yesterday. I think they are Sapphires though although would need to confirm that. i did not pay much attention to them i just thought the colours were pretty and took a quick photo. The one of the left might be interesting to you?

12226717_10156227687400057_1605664715_n.jpg

lele88

Rough_Rock
Niel said:
gingercurls|1447000771|3947038 said:
You might want to consider this one as well:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/236493469/095-carat-precision-cut-oval-color?ref=shop_home_active_1

It is precision cut and meets your desired mm measurement. However, it does weigh a little under a carat.

il_570xn_156.jpg

I saw that too! But its so expensive for the size. Reminds me of this one, which is twice the size and less expensive. I was going to mention , OP, this stone is from a vendor who could do the setting for you at the same time, I'd that is important to you.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=3360

3360-3.jpg

I have seen that gem and it is on the list, along with a couple more. I am planning to purchase multiple stones and see which ones I like the best.

lele88

Rough_Rock
Alright everyone I have found some stones I would like you to give me your opinion on value for each.

670 for this color shift sapphire with a "mini window"

300 purple 1.8 spinel

purple-spinel-184-cts.jpg

gem_8.jpg

lele88

Rough_Rock
ElleW said:

I adore your lovely gems... any tips for my search?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite is the oval from pearlmans, and I they have lovely designers too, which would allow you to get every done at one place, which is nice in case of any damage to the stone. If you see that pearlmans one in person and like it, youim sure could sent it back to be set.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1447258656|3948203 said:
My favorite is the oval from pearlmans, and I they have lovely designers too, which would allow you to get every done at one place, which is nice in case of any damage to the stone. If you see that pearlmans one in person and like it, youim sure could sent it back to be set.

+1, another vote for the pearlman's oval!

lele88

Rough_Rock
Niel|1447258656|3948203 said:

He he, yes that one is at the top of the list. I just want to have a back up plan too. :D

I am I little worried the setting will be out of budget.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
lele88|1447256799|3948194 said:
ElleW said:

I adore your lovely gems... any tips for my search?
I'm pretty limited in what I can say, but I would say to not settle. If it doesn't make your heart sing...

lele88

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I have still been on the hunt. I've turned up very little these last few days. I would like some pointers, there is a gem show this weekend. Since I am new to the world of colored stones, I've never been to one of these shows. Any tips or pointers you all could give me would be very much appreciated.

lele88

Rough_Rock
Okay every one I stepped out on my own today, and I wanted to share with those still interested a stone I found. 5ct Sapphire There calling it periwinkle blue... the top photo is in direct sunlight hence the glare the second in outdoors and shading it with my hand. For the size and color is 1800 a reasonable price? The vendor says he has more that are smaller, he will be in contact with me over the next few weeks.

20151121_104812-1.jpg

20151121_104818-1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lele88|1448138831|3952549 said:
Okay every one I stepped out on my own today, and I wanted to share with those still interested a stone I found. 5ct Sapphire There calling it periwinkle blue... the top photo is in direct sunlight hence the glare the second in outdoors and shading it with my hand. For the size and color is 1800 a reasonable price? The vendor says he has more that are smaller, he will be in contact with me over the next few weeks.

Is it sleepy?
Do you like it?
Does it come with a certificate showing what kind of treatment it has?

For what it's worth the second photo looks lovely, and its so big!

Did you hear about that pearmans one?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results