carat
color
clarity

Looking for a OEC/OMC Stone for E-ring

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

Very new to this and looking for some help finding a great stone for an engagement ring. An OEC would be preferable, but OMC could work too! I'm looking for something around 1.7 cts and at least K & I2. My budget is around $8k. I know I should be looking for a stone that has a good cut, but I'm not really sure how to figure that out. To be honest a lot of the stones look the same to me online, so I'm struggling to understand which are the better options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I dont think you'll find something that big in a K+ (well, unless its not very nice). You may either have to go smaller or go lower
on the color scale. Believe it or not K is on the higher side for OECs (from what I've seen).

That being said...here is what you can get for your $8k
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-98ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-m-vs1/
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-78ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-l-vs2/
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-62ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-j-vs1
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/fav...ape=EU&item=diamond&referer=favorite-diamonds
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-50ct-I-VS...f2c1c57&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=401341761769

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Queenie60, did you happen to see these stones in person? I've been looking at them both and was afraid the color may be too low for me. What did you think about color and pattern?

Sorry to thread jack.

Q

Queenie60

No did not see the M however I saw the L last year when I visited her in Washington State. However, I decided on my Q OEC which I love! She tells me that the M shows quite white and it has a beautiful facet pattern. The only reason I did not go for the M is because I've decided to go a different route after discussing with Yekutiel. She'll send the stone to you with a return policy. She picks beautiful stones. Check the M out on her instagram. The L is lovely however Erica told me that she likes the M much better. I trust her opinion.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, sure, Q for Queenie! It is a beautiful ring you have.

She sent me a side by side video of them, but I always think seeing it in person is better. Thanks for the insight into these two stones. Again, apologies to OP for the thread jack.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks all! $8k is for just the stone. I've a setting in mind that's a solitaire bezel in platinum. Will this cause a color lower than K to show more yellow?

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm currently between two stones. Both have been sourced by jewelers, one near to where I live, and the other by a jeweler who is an old family friend. I now live abroad, so have not been able to see the stone sourced by the family friend in person. Neither have online pictures/videos so what I have listed below is the best that my mom and I could do :) It will be set in a bezel.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the specs/pictures/videos (I'm new at this, so apologies if the attachments don't work!):

Option 1 (the one I've seen in person)

Approx 2.7 cts OMC 8.4mm x 8.3mm x 4.1mm L vs2 - Not Certified - Price of $7.2k

My initial thoughts were:
  • Looked a bit warmer than I expected? I took a picture with a small D for comparison.
  • Carat weight is larger than I expected to get for my budget.
  • Stone is very pretty in person, whenever I see it I love it, but when I return to the pictures I become worried it is too warm.
  • Would set in rose gold.
20170624_124058-1.jpg

Option 2 (the one I've not seen in person)

Approx 1.65 cts OMC (OEC?) 8mm x 4.2mm J-K vs2 - Not Certified - Price of $7k
  • Surprised at the dimensions given the carat weight.
  • In the pictures, this one seems whiter.
  • A few microscopic chips. I don't think this is an issues
  • Faceting looks pretty in the enlarged pictures, I'm not really sure about the video.
  • Would set in platinum.
  • Buying a stone I've not seen in person makes me nervous.
IMG-20170627-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170627-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170627-WA0009.jpg

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Number 1 looks gorgeous. I think it will look great in rose gold

I don't like number 2 - looks like someone stepped on it and squished it.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a STEAL for stone #1!!! I'd get it in a heartbeat!!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 by a mile. Not all old cuts look great in a bezel. They sometimes need the light from the additional angles. You might ask the seller, but also make sure the ring maker tests this before making the bezel. In a pinch... aluminium foil can make a fair temporary bezel. If the stone dies in a full bezel, you can do a partial bezel , wide tab prongs, or prong set in a bezel.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Number 2 is looking pancake-ish. I think its too shallow and thats why it is facing up large for its size...and OEC/OMC usually face up small for
their size so that probably isnt a good thing.

I think number 1 has a pretty faceting pattern and shape so as long as you're good with the color I'd go for that one. Did you look at it with a
loupe? I see some things in the pic but not really sure if they are anything (probably just reflections). Do you know how thick/thin the girdle is.
That could/would affect the way you set it so I would find out about that. Will they send it to GIA for you?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cushion looks really pretty! You'd have to embrace the lower color, though. If they are saying L, that means it could be M or N. If it has a yellow undertone, it might not look great in rose gold.

It can take months to find a great stone. If the cushion is not the color you want, I'd keep looking. But you may be looking at a slightly smaller stone if you are looking for K color or higher.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love #1 and don't think it's too warm in person, I'd get that and not worry about it appearing warm in the photos. I think it's got a lovely facet pattern and is a great size for that price!
The second one looks good on the first photo and then not in the subsequent ones or the video.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't want an I2 because you will clearly see the inclusions in an I2. Go for something cleaner. The 1.65 rounder stone is clearly whiter than the other stone although it has a tint to it too and it's what we call a flatty, not much crown height not much depth, which means it will be a bit meeah sparkle wise. The 2.70 OMC which is an Antique cushion is a nicer shape, better cut but a way lower colour than they are claiming and is obviously yellow tinted so you have to weigh up what you can and can live with.

I personally would find a good balance of size, clarity (try and find something totally eye clean) and a decent cut.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of the help and comments!

I've decided against Number 2; it really does look flat. Now it's just a matter of deciding to either keep looking or to go with the cushion. I'm leaning towards the cushion, but I think I need to check on a few things before I make a final decision.

Thanks for the info about the bezel - I'll ask about that and will try it out with aluminium foil!

I'm not sure about the girdle, so will ask about that too. I had looked at it through a loupe and the cushion is very clean. I couldn't see any imperfections until the jeweler told me where to look for one, and even then I had a difficult time finding it.

If I want, they'll send it to the GIA to be graded. I might go ahead and do that. I'd be fine with (and would expect) the color to come back in the L-M-N region. I think I'd be a bit upset if it came back much lower, like S/T or something. I think a lot of the M-N stones available online look whiter than the cushion does in the pictures/videos. I wasn't sure if this is because the professionals know how to take the best pictures, if the cushion is more of an O/P, or both!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of the help and comments!

I've decided against Number 2; it really does look flat. Now it's just a matter of deciding to either keep looking or to go with the cushion. I'm leaning towards the cushion, but I think I need to check on a few things before I make a final decision.

Thanks for the info about the bezel - I'll ask about that and will try it out with aluminium foil!

I'm not sure about the girdle, so will ask about that too. I had looked at it through a loupe and the cushion is very clean. I couldn't see any imperfections until the jeweler told me where to look for one, and even then I had a difficult time finding it.

If I want, they'll send it to the GIA to be graded. I might go ahead and do that. I'd be fine with (and would expect) the color to come back in the L-M-N region. I think I'd be a bit upset if it came back much lower, like S/T or something. I think a lot of the M-N stones available online look whiter than the cushion does in the pictures/videos. I wasn't sure if this is because the professionals know how to take the best pictures, if the cushion is more of an O/P, or both!

That cushion will be STUNNING in yellow or rose gold. I really think you found an amazing stone for an almost unbelievable price!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd guess an O, P, Q looking at those photos it has a substantial tint to it - unless the pics and videos were taken somewhere odd like a car. It's still a good price for a stone that size.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
All of the pictures and videos were taken inside the store, with the exception of one video (the one with the D) which was taken outside on a cloudy day. I wish I could just wear it around for a few days to see how it looks in a variety of different lights, but I'd need to pay for it and set it first!

Good to know that I'm not overpaying, even if it is a Q!

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi All!

I wanted to post an update with pictures of my finished ring! I went with the 2.7 carat antique cushion posted above, and I just adore it. It faces up much more white in the rose gold setting than I was expecting, and it's just this lovely romantic soft white color. Plus, it's super sparkly!!

The setting was custom by the amazing Luisa Verling in Dublin, Ireland. I had an idea of what I wanted, and she was able to turn my ideas into a ring that I cannot stop staring at.

Thank you to everyone here for your opinions and help!!

20170816_122041.jpg

20170816_134106-1.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my! that's wonderful! Please post more pics? Like face on, closeup, undergallery, profile etc. It's a really beautiful ring!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations... Your ring is absolutely dreamy! It's gorgeous in rose gold. :love: I second the request for more pics... please!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations... Your ring is absolutely dreamy! It's gorgeous in rose gold. :love: I second the request for more pics... please!

I triple that request!! Great selection & gorgeous setting!! It's simply beautiful!! Put that baby in the spotlight!!! Pix pix pix!!! :lol-2:

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So glad you went with the cushion! You did great! Be sure to take more pics for us!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results