shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking at an emerald cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

niki

Rough_Rock
I am looking at buying an emerald cut diamond. It has EGL and UGS certification. The specs are:
88 pts
6.27 x 4.91 x 3.38
clarity:VVS2
color:E
fluorescence:none
depth:68.8%
table:80%
crown:7.3%
pavilion:57%
girdle:medium to thick polished
culet:none
polish/symmetry:good

First, are the EGL and UGS certificates reliable? It was appraised at $8,870. Does this seem right for this stone? The person is selling the stone for $3,700. Is this stone worth this? I have seen it and it is definately beautiful. However, I have done some research and it seems that the table% and depth% are not desirable, in fact, on one site the percentages were below average for the emerald cut. Is this true, or is it hard to judge without seeing the diamond? Any help would be appreciated.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
The cut dimensions are below average. Click on "tutorial" and then click the link for the grading chart for emerald cuts.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
With the caveat that numbers alone may not tell the whole story when it comes to fancy shapes, this EC looks like it could be better cut. The table alone is way too large. Check out the chart Caratz cites.

UGS is the appraisal arm of EGL, I believe. I don't know any more about them, but personally I'd be wary of an appraiser so closely linked to the grader.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Niki105, welcome to the forum
1.gif

I ran a price comparison for 0.88-0.90crt E, VVS2 emeralds at Pricescope. Several internet vendors offer better cut 0.89crt stones with GIA grading reports for about $3,300 or 0.9crt GIA graded stones for $3,700.

Trade values EGL graded diamonds for about 8% less than with GIA or AGS reports.

UGS appraisal a usually over-inflated. You can find many diamonds on ebay with UGS appraisals listed for much less than appraised value. It looks like some dealers use UGS appraisals as a sales tool.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results