shape
carat
color
clarity

Lookin'' for a Blue Sapphire Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 8:57:49 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Kneeling, how about sharing the pictures from Jeff even if you don''t want it. Maybe one of us will! I can relate to the feeling about putting down non-refundable deposits, though.

One more thought. $5000 for a heated 2 ct. is incredibly high! I wouldn''t pay that for heated.

DS,

Hi! I believe the pics I''ll be getting from Jeff will be ones before he cuts the stone. I''d be happy to post them if he''s okay with it (not sure why he wouldn''t seeing how word of the cushion spread like wildfire :razz:). Also, he''s sourced the stone without me having to put down a deposit so I''m stoked! Can''t wait!

I did think that was on the higher side for a heated stone but they were willing to give me an appraisal for it. Granted it will be from their appraiser (also the owner) so I''m not sure what to think of that. I doubt they''d appraise it for less than what they''re quoting me.

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 6:26:13 PM
Author: nicholerh
I had a hard time finding my perfect round sapphire too. We had some brought in from the NSC, we spoke with online companies before we finally found the gem we were searching for at our local jeweler. We made them bring in a total of 10 (yes, 10!) for us to pick from. They did 5 the first time but I wasn''t happy with them and so they brought in 5 more. This is kinda funny because ours is just slightly smaller than yours (1.9) brilliant round cut with an amazing blue and very similarly priced!

Here''s what we got! If it''s similar to ours I gotta say it''s going to look stunning in all settings, except maybe a movie theater ;-)

Nico,

That''s very pretty! It''s funny how much effort it''s taken to find a good sapphire but the good thing is she knows about my arduous quest and thinks it''s even more special :)

My tally so far of rounds that were in the right weight and size are 5 online, and about another 8 or so from local jewelers. The right color has just been so elusive.

One question if you don''t mind, is yours treated?

nicholerh

Rough_Rock
That''s very pretty! It''s funny how much effort it''s taken to find a good sapphire but the good thing is she knows about my arduous quest and thinks it''s even more special :)

My tally so far of rounds that were in the right weight and size are 5 online, and about another 8 or so from local jewelers. The right color has just been so elusive.

One question if you don''t mind, is yours treated?

I don''t mind at all. Yes mine is heat treated. I didn''t care about it being unheated it just needed to be a stone I was drawn to. This stone, of course, was the most expensive one on the docket but it''s color was (is) amazing. We had a lovely stone brought in from the NSC and it was very pretty and equally as pricy as this one but it just didn''t scream "PUT ME ON YOUR ERING!"

For a heat treated sapphire I thought this one was expensive especially since unheated sapphires were the same if not less at NSC. But in the end it was the only one that kicked all the other sapphires'' hineys and I haven''t regretted getting it.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2008 7:51:09 PM
Author: Kneeling08

I did think that was on the higher side for a heated stone but they were willing to give me an appraisal for it. Granted it will be from their appraiser (also the owner) so I''m not sure what to think of that. I doubt they''d appraise it for less than what they''re quoting me.
I would not use their appraisal to help you decide if you want to buy the stone. Obviously, there is a conflict of interests there. Ask them if you can get an INDEPENDENT appraisal, by someone who is hired by you. At that price for a heated stone, I would absolutely get an independent appraisal before purchase personally.

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2008 10:27:37 PM
Author: nicholerh

I don''t mind at all. Yes mine is heat treated. I didn''t care about it being unheated it just needed to be a stone I was drawn to. This stone, of course, was the most expensive one on the docket but it''s color was (is) amazing. We had a lovely stone brought in from the NSC and it was very pretty and equally as pricy as this one but it just didn''t scream ''PUT ME ON YOUR ERING!''

For a heat treated sapphire I thought this one was expensive especially since unheated sapphires were the same if not less at NSC. But in the end it was the only one that kicked all the other sapphires'' hineys and I haven''t regretted getting it.

I feel ya :)

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/11/2008 7:34:35 AM
Author: icekid

I would not use their appraisal to help you decide if you want to buy the stone. Obviously, there is a conflict of interests there. Ask them if you can get an INDEPENDENT appraisal, by someone who is hired by you. At that price for a heated stone, I would absolutely get an independent appraisal before purchase personally.

Thanks! I''ll be looking for one in the area.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can tell from prices online that they are selling that stone more like the unheated price. Their appraisal would be worthless other than to insure the stone. If it was just a little mark-up, that might be fine, but it is like double the price it should be. I just hate to see someone get taken on price.

I should add one more thing, though. I do realize how hard it is to find a perfect stone, so I can understand the appeal of overpaying if you find the right one. It is against my nature to want to do that, but I do understand especially since it is for an e-ring.

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
So all,

This pretty little native cut lovely from Jeff will be on it''s way to me shortly so that I can check out the color and clarity before he wraps his gem cutting mittens on it.

Untreated. A little over 2 carats.

ECbluesapph.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh love it! It will be fabulous once Jeff cuts it!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
That color is stunning. Will you get some real life pics for us when you get it?

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 8:14:16 PM
So all,

This pretty little native cut lovely from Jeff will be on it''s way to me shortly so that I can check out the color and clarity before he wraps his gem cutting mittens on it.

Freakin Incredible! I just love sapphires
36.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2008 8:14:16 PM
So all,

Amazing color - that is going to be gorgeous!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Wow, looks great so far!

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Whoa... excuse the slip! A little over 2 is more like closer to 3 carats :razz:.

The stone is gorgeous. Hopefully the following pics come close to doing it some justice.

IMGP3306.jpg

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I ADORE the colour of that sapphire!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

So is it THE one for you?

ETA: It's going to look AMAZING when Jeff's done with it!
36.gif
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic - I love the violetish blue colour. It''s also very lively from the picture and changes from a deep velvery look to a bright happy colour. Great sapphire. Unheated you said?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
W.O.W.!!! that is incredible - LOVE IT!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is stunning
30.gif
, I cannot wait to see it after Jeff has cut it for you! It will be a knockout!

I vote for diamond sides, colorless so they will really compliment the blue.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2008 10:38:12 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
That is stunning
30.gif
, I cannot wait to see it after Jeff has cut it for you! It will be a knockout!

I vote for diamond sides, colorless so they will really compliment the blue.
Ditto what dreamer said - that would be amazing!

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
Yes unheated.

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
OM-FREAKIN - Gosh!!!!!!

How absolutely stunning!!!!!!

Luv, luv, luv, it!!!!!
30.gif

I absolutely LOVE sapphires and you did not disappoint
23.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That is a really pretty one with tons of character....have you made a decision about it yet? That will look really wonderful when it gets re-cut.

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
I just skimmed through the pics I put up and just wanted to note that the stone is actually not that violet. It''s either the camera or the color table shrunk when I made the pictures smaller. Regardless, the stone holds true blue to almost every light setting except fluorescent in which it takes on just a hint at that.

Kneeling08

Rough_Rock
After a heart wrenching decision, I''ve decided to go with the local jeweler''s stone. Though heat treated, the packaged deal she was able to give me with the setting and a stone of similar qualities were too good to pass up.

I''d like to thank Jeff for his professionalism and patience throughout our exchanges. He''s top notch and plan to work with him again in the future. My future mother in law fell in love with the sapphire he showed me but wants a bigger stone. If anyone here is looking for a sapphire... the one he showed me is a-freagin''-mazing. I''ve seen many, many sapphires in the past few months and his is truly gorgeous.

Thanks again Jeff and to everyone, Chrono, et al, who has helped me along in the process.

Pics of our e-ring to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results