shape
carat
color
clarity

Long-winded story and request for advice / opinions

maxbookworm

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking here for a few months now and just wanted to say thank you for all the great advice and real-life pictures on these forums. It can be so hard to purchase jewelry over the internet and, as you know, it's hard to find local jewelry stores that carry more unique pieces.

OK -- so a bit of backstory... I hope you don't mind.

My hubby and I celebrated our 15th anniversary last month. I tend to be pretty low-maintenance, so while I love looking at bling, I don't tend to wear anything unless it's super-comfortable and I don't need to worry about cleaning it, or taking it off when putting lotion on, etc. My original wedding set was very classic: 2mm platinum band, and .7 ct diamond (don't remember the specs, but it's eye-clean and seems pretty white to me) in a classic, platinum, tiffany-style 4-prong setting. Over the years, I stopped wearing the engagement ring on a regular basis. I didn't like the way it caught on stuff and just didn't like the feeling of the diamond sticking out (but I did still love the sparkle!)

plain-eng.jpg

The 2mm band on its own was fine. The main problem with it was, no sparklies, and that width of band is a bit narrow for the length of my fingers.

plain.jpg

Nevertheless, that is what I wore for 15 years.

OK -- so fast-forward to our 15th anniversary. In the interim years, my husband had broached the subject of an anniversary band a few times, and I had always demurred. This year, I decided I was ready, and so started researching and shopping. We didn't have a budget in mind, but I'm pretty conservative with funds, usually, so I was looking for good pricing. I had two opposing images of what I wanted in my head: 1) something like the Tiffany etoile band (burnished diamonds in a plain band), 2) something really flowery, flowy and romantic.

The practical side of me won out initially (because of the low-maintenance factor), and I had this lovely band custom made for me by an excellent seller on eBay. It's 4mm wide, platinum, with 10 diamonds all the way around-- very comfortable, very contemporary, very low maintenance.

cont.jpg

Well, I loved it, but there was still something unsatisfied in me. I love nature, and curves, and flowing lines and thought it would be so wonderful to have a ring that expressed that side of me as well. So I went ahead and commissioned another ring, one of the swirly ones from Adzia's Atelier on Etsy. For this one, I decided to go with 14k white gold and leave it unplated (still looking for ease-of-care, I didn't want to have to worry about getting the ring redipped). So that's this one:

swirl.jpg swirl-eng.jpg

It ended up being a bit narrow to wear on its own, but pairs well with my engagement ring. I've since decided to send it back to Adzia to get it plated, as I think it will look better with my platinum pieces and be worth the extra maintenance.

In parallel, I discovered Beverly K and fell in love with many of her styles. I decided to see what my eBay wizard would charge to make a Beverly K inspired band and it was incredibly reasonable (the reason I didn't want to order directly from a Beverly K dealer is that in my size -- a 3 -- many styles aren't available, and if they are, they aren't returnable -- my eBay guy offers a 30-day return policy, no questions asked and return shipping included!). So, uh, I ordered another ring. It seemed that after 15 years with no anniversary jewelry, the floodgates had opened :razz: That brought me this exquisite ring. I left this one unplated as well (it's 18k white gold), but am going to go ahead and get it dipped after all. It also turned out just a smidge big, so I can wear it on my right hand too.

bev.jpg

Finally, I had been trawling eBay obsessively and found myself drawn over and over to an antique eternity ring that was actually a size 3. It seemed so unlikely and rare to find a vintage ring in my size that I couldn't stop thinking about it. After weeks of consdering, I decided I had to see it in real-life. The seller had a 3-day return policy and I figured I could take advantage of that if the ring didn't seem right to me. Incidentally, this classic style, diamonds-all-around eternity band it what dh would have gotten if it had been entirely his choice. He's more into classic pieces (hence my engagement ring).

vintage_ring.jpg

I received the ring... and fell in love. It's from the 1920's, platinum setting, with 21 E-F VS2-SI1 diamonds - 0.9ct total. I especially love the carving on the sides.

So I've gone from no anniversary bands to 4 in a month. I feel that I've gotten great value though -- for all 4 pieces, I am still under $3k.

My question / the advice I'm looking for, is whether these eclectic pieces look ok stacked together at all, or not? They are obviously all different styles, but the widths and thicknesses vary a lot too. Here are a few combinations I was playing with:

DSC02780.jpg cont-eng.jpg vint-eng-swirl.jpg vint-cont.jpg vint-bev.jpg

I also bought a few narrow CZ eternity bands (actually found them in size 3!) to add into the mix. If I like the way they work out, maybe we'll talk about replacing them with real sparklies next anniversary!

What do you think of the stacking thing and do you think any other combinations would work well?

Thanks so much -- I really value your opinions!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
wow - so many choices! I like the stacked look...the third on in your set of pictures looks best to me...I love your e-ring and think it looks good with the others you have on in that photo!

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
I agree with centralsquare, I also love the third photo, the stacking is quite nice!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a big fan of stacking, but I do love your original set. Simple and yet so elegant! The other rings are lovely too, but I would wear them individually, maybe as RHRs?

maxbookworm

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the replies!

Mayerling -- you'll make me re-think the whole process and decide I should have just stuck with my original set, lol. Just kidding! Thanks so much for the compliment. Just goes to show maybe I've been overthinking it and hubby's right that simple and classic is the best look for me.

Centralsquare and Verdy -- thanks! I think it'll be a fun option if I want to bling it out.

On an everyday basis then, maybe I should stick more with the one-at-a-time idea. The only one I might need to stack is the Bev K'ish one since it fits big. I could stack it between two plainer bands or least with one of the tighter fitting bands above it. I had thought about the RHR thing, but honestly, I just don't like wearing rings anywhere but on my left-hand ring finger. Weird, right?

I have to say, I had been so neglectful of my e-ring for years (as in, I hadn't cleaned it in years -- not even with a toothbrush and soap :nono: ), and all my recent jewelry hyper-awareness inspired me to clean it. Holy moly. What a difference. I could not believe how sparkly it got. Just goes to show there's no sadder diamond than a dirty diamond.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on 15 years! You and I have similar fingers (although I'm not a size 3). I've always wanted to find a way to combine a large centerstone with filagree type wide setting in one so that I could wear everything together. So here is one sample that I found...just adding more confusion for you....

I think all your bands are very pretty on their own but do not fit well with your e-ring, so I'd wear them separately. The original set looks the best IMO. One day, perhaps 20th anniversary, I'd have a custom piece made like the picture below :)

skRHR2.jpg

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
You have such pretty fingers (even after 15 years of marriage!!! your husband must be doing all the chores 8) ) and a size 3!!!!! You make us all envious.

I am not a big fan of stacking but I think all the variations you posted look great. Now you have so many rings to play with I would say wear a different combo each day. Maybe you'll find a favoriate through the process ;-)

cardamoms

Rough_Rock
I think your original set looks quite lovely together. Your new bands are all more rectangular than the rounded band on your ering, so I think they look better on their own. I particularly love the vintage eternity band you found - gorgeous!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I love all of your stacking combinations and you have PERFECT stacking fingers--long and thin. I think you might be the hand model in all those Tiffany ads I see ;))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say stack away...whatever you fell comfortable with. I would probably keep it to 3 bands at a time.
You've got a really nice collection now...have fun!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
My antique wedding band is from the same guy! I love the bottom pairing with the beverly k-ish and the eternity. I think you could add your e-ring into the mix and not have it be too much. You are so lucky to have such slender and long fingers. Mine are also small (4) but they are so stumpy there's a limit to what I can pull off. I generally wear my eternity (a lot like yours), a 1.5mm french cut band, a 1mm palladium spacer, and my e-ring. I love mixing widths.

maxbookworm

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone!

Jaysonsmom -- :love: wow. Definitely something to think about for the future.

OCgirl -- I never do the dishes without rubber gloves. Maybe that's my secret?

kelpie -- isn't Mark *awesome*? I'd love his job -- playing with all that beautiful jewelry, lol.

NewEnglandLady -- I do think I missed my calling as a hand model. It would have been another great way to play with jewelry all day. Only problem is, stock jewelry never fits me!

I was thinking more about them and it's kind of like a ring wardrobe, isn't it?

The original set is my little black dress. Classic, understated, looks appropriate in just about any situation. The original band alone is like blue jeans. Casual and comfortable, but maybe underdressed for office-wear or formal occasions.

The 10-stone band is kind of like black yoga pants. Casual and comfortable, but with a sleeker, more put together look.

The swirly band is like a flowery sundress -- a bit more playful and with more personality than the previous pieces.

The Bev K lookalike is more loose and flowy -- more like a maxi dress, maybe?

And the vintage band is another black dress, but fancier -- like a beaded or sequined one.

So maybe it's a mistake to try to combine them too much? Maybe I should just pick one a day to suit my mood. But I'll keep playing with them. I see there's a definite stacking contingent here, lol!

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful collection and I love the analogies you came up with! Have you considered stacking the 10 stone or the eternity band with your plain band? I personally love that look....I do it with my eternity and my plain band for days I want some bling but don't want to have the height of my e-ring to contend with. I also like those band with your e-ring and maybe stacked with your plain band as well. I think the filigree and the BK ring look best on their own because they are so intricate. I think they would also make lovely RHRs if you ever decide you would like to branch out to other fingers. :twirl:

maxbookworm

Rough_Rock
Mrsacornblue -- I'll need to try that. The main issue is that my plain band is only 1mm thick, and most of the other bands range from 1.5mm-2mm, so the heights off my finger and visual widths of the bands are pretty different. But still, I'll experiment with that.

Thanks again, everyone, for the compliments on my original set. I think I had it so long I considered it boring, but you are making me realize it is still beautiful and elegant. It's classic, not boring!

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
Love them all!!! What about all the bands on the left hand, and the ering on the right hand?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I'm not sure if anything's changed since your initial post. Here's my thought though:

While I love all of the bands, I'm not sure I'd go with the stacked look. It seems kind of busy, at least to me. I do love the rings though, especially the swirly one from Adzia Atelier. In fact, I just put a pic of a ring from their site in my "Favorites" folder. So, thanks for that! :bigsmile:

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Zero to four in one month! Welcome to Pricescope....you're gonna fit in juuuuuussstt fiiinneee! :kiss: :appl: :cheeky: I love them all! Yes, stack away!!! They look great! I especially love the last pic! :love:

ETA: I *love* the clothing analogies! Spot on! =)

stci

Ideal_Rock
Verdy|1311959852|2979863 said:
I agree with centralsquare, I also love the third photo, the stacking is quite nice!

This

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think all the rings look good together except for the Adzia. I think that one looks good with your ering and wedding ring, but not with the other diamond bands.

silviagbc

Rough_Rock
I really like your original set! But your diamond is definitely bigger than 0.7!!! it looks massive!

Also, the stacks work well too.. play around with them, there's no right or wrong way, whatever suits you on the day :)

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I really like your original set, its classy. I like all your bands as well but would wear them as RHR.

maxbookworm

Rough_Rock
Love all the opinions -- keep them coming!

Unfortunately, the difference in my right hand means there are only a a few of these bands (the Bev K and the 10-stone) that I could even get on there. Except maybe in the winter... I do remember wearing my engagement ring on my right hand at some point in the past. But it would be a no go at the moment.

Zoe -- Adzia is a dream to work with. I asked so many questions, and changed my mind so many times, that my message thread with her on Etsy is over 50 messages long! But she answered every one extremely patiently, and her work is perfect.

Sylvia -- I noticed my e-ring looks really big in the pictures too. In fact. I was going to ask if that's a normal optical illusion when taking pics of e-rings, lol. I'm almost certain it was about 0.7ct, but then again, 15 years (16 actually, since I got the e-ring) and two kids could have addled my brains! It does look bigger in the pics than in real life though, imo.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I'm considering having a band made by Adzia too. You said you think yours is too thin. Which width did you get? I think the one you got looks stunning!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Gorgeous rings and hands!

cheers--Sharon

maxbookworm

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sharon :)

Upgradable -- I got her standard 3.6mm width. It's funny, because I've decided that 4mm is the narrowest band I should wear alone, but I never thought .4mm would actually make a difference. It does, though. It might just be a proportional thing with my length of fingers. Here's a wider hand shot of the Adzia band so you can see it better:

DSC02754.jpg

To be clear, if it had ended up being the only ring I ordered, I know I would have worn it happily. It definitely is a *beautiful* ring! It looks smaller in person because the photos in her shop are so close-in and gorgeous. Hopefully, the hand shot gives you a better sense of what to expect.

maxbookworm

Rough_Rock
Oh, and guess what I realized today? The vintage ring *does* fit on my right hand. So I'm thinking I'll wear the 10-stone on my left day-to-day since it's the most comfortable, and I'll wear it 24/7 without having to worry about taking it off for showering, lotioning, stroking soft childrens' cheeks, etc. And I can mix it up on my right hand, like this, for example:

DSC02796.jpg

(newly rhodium'ed BK-ish band + vintage :) )

whitneyc

Rough_Rock
I like the 3rd stacked option you posted!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
maxbookworm|1312056646|2980660 said:

Upgradable -- I got her standard 3.6mm width. It's funny, because I've decided that 4mm is the narrowest band I should wear alone, but I never thought .4mm would actually make a difference. It does, though. It might just be a proportional thing with my length of fingers. Here's a wider hand shot of the Adzia band so you can see it better:

DSC02754.jpg

To be clear, if it had ended up being the only ring I ordered, I know I would have worn it happily. It definitely is a *beautiful* ring! It looks smaller in person because the photos in her shop are so close-in and gorgeous. Hopefully, the hand shot gives you a better sense of what to expect.
Thanks for the detailed description. I have short, pudgy fingers, so too wide is not a good thing for me. I'm going to talk to Adzia and see if she offers a 4.0 instead of the 4.5 she has listed as her "wide" option.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love your 20's band with your ering.

maxbookworm

Rough_Rock
Upgradable|1312135354|2981131 said:
maxbookworm|1312056646|2980660 said:

Thanks for the detailed description. I have short, pudgy fingers, so too wide is not a good thing for me. I'm going to talk to Adzia and see if she offers a 4.0 instead of the 4.5 she has listed as her "wide" option.

I'm sure she does -- in fact, I talked to her about it a bit too. I would just ask for example images because the proportion of the swirls changes with the width of the band. I think 4mm might be a good sweet spot -- the width is good for wearing alone, and the swirls will be a bit bigger and more noticeable. Can't wait to see your band :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results