shape
carat
color
clarity

Long time lurker - Now it's go time. Please help a newbie find an engagement stone.

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
Hello PriceScopers!

First let me say what an amazing community this is. I have been a lurker for years on this forum and I believe it's finally time for me to pop the question and scope the stone.

Even though I've been lurking for years, it all feels so new and would love the help and support of this community to help lead me to picking the perfect stone.

I have found the setting I really like on James Allen: 14K Rose Gold Vintage Infinity Engagement Ring. However, I know James Allen tends to be on the pricey side.

For the Stone, I would like a Lab created one, as my partner would like a real diamond, but is scare of loosing it and the value. I want something nice for her to show off and we agreed Lab makes the most sense (Real diamond, Value, Size).

The specs I would like:

Round

1.4 to 1.8 (Yes I know this is a big range, but I also know stones and be polished up or down. Plus once you remove alot of undesirable cuts, it narrows the window. Ideally over 1.55 to 1.75

Cut: ideal

Clarity: greater the VS1

Colour: F or greater (worry about Blue hue)

At first I was going to buy 4 loose diamonds from LightBox and pick the best, but I see they don't ship to Canada. So my next option is B2C Diamonds or Ritanti. Their prices seem the next most reasonable. However, I have seen Adiamor popping up more and more recently. But there is usually a noticeable value difference. A similar 1.58 caret stone in Canadian is$1.8k on Ritani vs $3.4k Adiamor vs. 3.8k on James Allen. That's 2x an increase. Same size, cut, clarity, colour.

Finally, since I am buying a ring from one vendor and a loose stone from another, I will have to find a local jeweler to set it correct?

any help is appreciated and welcomed.

you guys rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PriceScope, -Genuine-!
What is your budget for just the loose diamond?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
Hi and welcome to PriceScope, -Genuine-!
What is your budget for just the loose diamond?

Thank you DejaWiz for the warm welcome. I have seen you help so many over my time lurking here, and appreciate you now helping me.

Ideally closer to the Ritani Prices. Under $2.5k CAD or $2k USD.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Just keep in mind that James Allen does not sell the majority of their settings without a stone. I just checked on this because I was looking to buy a setting. Their rep told me if you can add it to your basket and start the checkout process without a stone, then you’re good to go!

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
Just keep in mind that James Allen does not sell the majority of their settings without a stone. I just checked on this because I was looking to buy a setting. Their rep told me if you can add it to your basket and start the checkout process without a stone, then you’re good to go!

Thank you, I confirmed this to be the case.

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
What do you think of these?

Hello Kim N,

Another that has helped so many. Thank you for taking the time to assist me. I believe these are out of my price point.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found some options at Ritani as well.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HCA Score : 1.1 - Excellent - within TIC range

Is that good? What's a top score?

Anything under 2 is worth further evaluation. HCA is a rejection tool, not a selection tool, so there's no "top score." This stone has great proportions and looks beautiful.

Are you looking to stay under $1300?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
Happy to play around with budget and size. If the stone is more premium over another

That's a beautiful stone. Unfortunately just out side my price point.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
I think i have narrowed it down to 4:

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think i have narrowed it down to 2:

First Choice:

Second:

They're both beautiful. The first one will look noticeably bigger than the second, so if you want the extra size, that'd be my pick.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I just saw you post above!

A beautiful stone. and now in the mix.

The F has the advantage in size, the G in price, and the E in color. I do love that the E is HPHT, though this is a lesser consideration. What are you thinking of prioritizing?

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
Apologies. I have now set the final 4.

Any assistance is appreciated!

@Kim N & @DejaWiz

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
The F has the advantage in size, the G in price, and the E in color. I do love that the E is HPHT, though this is a lesser consideration. What are you thinking of prioritizing?

I will follow the 4 c's... Cut, Color, Clarity and Carat

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will follow the 4 c's... Cut, Color, Clarity and Carat

The 1.64 E and to a small extent the G seem less tightly cut than the other two. So for me, it would be down to the F and the 1.55 E.

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
The 1.64 E and to a small extent the G seem less tightly cut than the other two. So for me, it would be down to the F and the 1.55 E.

Thank you!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does your partner have a preference?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She doesn't want to see. She is traditional.

Another difference CVD or HPHT...

Do you think she would prefer the extra 0.25mm in diameter? That will be a more visible difference than E vs. F or HPHT vs. CVD.

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
Do you think she would prefer the extra 0.25mm in diameter? That will be a more visible difference than E vs. F or HPHT vs. CVD.

I am leaning towards the 1.55

It'ss HPHT which @DejaWiz, has said is their preference.

Smaller makes it look more realistic, so people wont ask if its lab.

Better clarity and colour.

Only think that worries me is there are alot of streaks in it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results