shape
carat
color
clarity

Long term value of fancy yellow vs. E-H color diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Ok, all you experts :)

Say you have a natural fancy yellow diamond and a similar diamond in characteristics except that it is, oh, say G color.

Which holds more value now, and which (do you predict) will hold more value in 10 years?

My reason for asking... I purchased an OOPs graded diamond about five years ago off the diamond database so often used by vendors. It was supposed to be a .63 pear, VS2, color P, but since it wasn''t an "in house" diamond, it was really anyone''s guess what it really was. Price: $450. When it came in, it turned out to be a light fancy yellow diamond I had the little feller certified and laser inscribed ((thanks , Old Miner!) and have been enjoying it ever since.

Is there a point where fancy yellow diamond holders should consider unloading? Will the colored diamond hype die down and decrease their value? Or, are these fancy colors here to stay and will the price remain stable due to popularity and rarity?

I''m gonna get some coffee now and wait for responses (slurp.)

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I''m certainly no expert, but I would suspect that the natural fancies will always be of more value because of their rarity. Trends will probably influence the selling price a little bit, but I think a well cut fancy yellow will always cost more than a well cut G.

*M*

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Colored diamonds are unquestionably a fad right now, and one that may or may not die down at some point (e.g., when the Argyle mine in Australia finally closes, the market for pinks will likely dry up from a lack of supply).

The problem with this question, as with all "investment" questions, is that diamonds are not a liquid asset. Unless you are in the trade, you are stuck with having to buy retail and sell semi-wholesale (even on eBay).

I would just treasure this for what it is--a lucky bargain--and don''t worry about whether it''s holding its value.

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Capt.! I suppose Maturin would agree with you, of course!

I do enjoy it and wear it regularly, and don''t consider it an "investment"... indeed a lucky find.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A "Light" fancy is a gamble. I doubt anyone could accurately guess what the future of diamond values will be. We have HTHP and synthetics to deal with as well as DeBeers and new mines coming on line. Since far more synthetics are presently cut in fancy colors the supply of fancy colors overall will increase. Fancy colors have increased greatly in supply in the past 10 years. These are nearly all "natural" colors although I have suspicion that what is called natural today may not always be absolutely natural as they were 20 or more years ago. Funny how the supply has drastically increased. No one I know has a true knowledge of what is actually rare when it comes to colorless and yellow diamonds.

A big part of a diamond, or any luxury item, is enjoyment of the product while you are making use of it. These are not hold and hide type things. No way can you get the benefit of ownership without the enjoyment element. There are better financial investments, but few look so good.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 3:41:20 PM
Author: oldminer
A ''Light'' fancy is a gamble. I doubt anyone could accurately guess what the future of diamond values will be. We have HTHP and synthetics to deal with as well as DeBeers and new mines coming on line. Since far more synthetics are presently cut in fancy colors the supply of fancy colors overall will increase. Fancy colors have increased greatly in supply in the past 10 years. These are nearly all ''natural'' colors although I have suspicion that what is called natural today may not always be absolutely natural as they were 20 or more years ago. Funny how the supply has drastically increased. No one I know has a true knowledge of what is actually rare when it comes to colorless and yellow diamonds.

A big part of a diamond, or any luxury item, is enjoyment of the product while you are making use of it. These are not hold and hide type things. No way can you get the benefit of ownership without the enjoyment element. There are better financial investments, but few look so good.
This might be slightly off topic, but since natural fancies are relatively rare, is there any way to tell if a diamond HAS been "treated" to enhance its color?

*M*

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 3:41:20 PM
Author: oldminer
A ''Light'' fancy is a gamble. I doubt anyone could accurately guess what the future of diamond values will be. We have HTHP and synthetics to deal with as well as DeBeers and new mines coming on line. Since far more synthetics are presently cut in fancy colors the supply of fancy colors overall will increase. Fancy colors have increased greatly in supply in the past 10 years. These are nearly all ''natural'' colors although I have suspicion that what is called natural today may not always be absolutely natural as they were 20 or more years ago. Funny how the supply has drastically increased. No one I know has a true knowledge of what is actually rare when it comes to colorless and yellow diamonds.

Oldminer, part of my question was indeed sparked by the seeming abundance of fancy yellows. When I first started looking at these forums several years back, and did my window shopping on eBay, all of a sudden there are alot available, and on the cheap. Supply/demand? Hype? I just wondered what others thought.

As for my yellow pear, well, it''s just too pretty to get rid of... I only buy my pretties for enjoyment, not investment (although I do tease my husband that my jewelry has more pawn value than his paintball stuff...)

:)

Brilliant_Rock
What a fantastic surprise when you received it! I would love for something like that to happen to me one day!!
9.gif

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 4:03:06 PM
Author: :)
What a fantastic surprise when you received it! I would love for something like that to happen to me one day!!
9.gif

As good as Vegas, baby, yeah! I can''t seem to EVER have alot of $$$, but I do have some killer bargain antenae. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results