shape
carat
color
clarity

Long hair over 50?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreaded this thread b/c it reminds me of my thinning hair, which I won't accept. Childbirth, and then menopause. Yup, lost at least half. Ugh. But for me, Biotin seems to help. And stress is bad...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
STUNNING! I love love love your hair @Taylorbug! :love:

I think we need a show me your hair thread because I bet there are lots of PSers with gorgeous hair.
:appl:

Dang!
About 10 days ago i had a brain freeze and cut a knot out and ended up loosing 4 inches straightening it up
I can never seem to get it to grow past bra line

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
thank you! i will be sure to look for it=)2

i just adore how your hair catches the light like that. it quite literally illuminates your lovely beautiful happy face. from the images, i do sense that you have nice textured healthy hair and the glossing spray further enhances the reflective qualities

You are so kind Big Fat Facets,thank you!=)2

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
When I was younger, I always heard people say that long hair on older women ages them.
Now that I'm "older" I say....who cares???
Do what pleases you. I've had long hair and short hair. Right now it is shoulder length.
I might let it grow all winter and see how it looks in the spring.
My hair seems to be much thicker these days, I think the white hairs are much more coarse and add a lot of volume.

@stracci2000
this image looks like something, straight out of an advertisement for natural strong thick healthy sleek straight uncolored untreated hair. if the image was in motion, i can imagine seeing you swish your head back and forth for a beautiful sway and movement. i love the emerging gray. when i say that i've seen exceptionally beautiful women with voluminous, thick, healthy, natural gray hair, this is what it looks like!

your hair will look pretty darn spectacular, at any length

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreaded this thread b/c it reminds me of my thinning hair, which I won't accept. Childbirth, and then menopause. Yup, lost at least half. Ugh. But for me, Biotin seems to help. And stress is bad...

Dear @LLJsmom from a purely objective standpoint you are gorgeous. Inside and out. I know this and state this objectively. Not as your friend but from an objective POV. However, as your friend I know how beautiful you are on the inside too but from the most objective viewpoint you are beautiful on the outside as well. And while your hair has lost some thickness no one (save you and maybe a few close family members) can tell. I am being completely truthful. But I get it. You know I get it. I just wanted to chime in with my thoughts. Nothing can take your true beauty away.

Oh and have you tried Viviscal? I know people who swear by that. It has Biotin in it but some other ingredients supposedly helpful for hair.

((((Hugs)))).

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000
this image looks like something, straight out of an advertisement for natural strong thick healthy sleek straight uncolored untreated hair. if the image was in motion, i can imagine seeing you swish your head back and forth for a beautiful sway and movement. i love the emerging gray. when i say that i've seen exceptionally beautiful women with voluminous, thick, healthy, natural gray hair, this is what it looks like!

your hair will look pretty darn spectacular, at any length

Thanks for all the nice compliments!
When I was a kid, Mom colored her hair. She always seemed to be in the bathroom touching up her roots, with a towel on her shoulders and that squeezy bottle of dye in her hands.
When my hair started to go gray, I didn't want to get stuck in that cycle, so I never colored it. I'm happy to let it grow a while and see what happens!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Well, I went grey this year. Now wanting to dye it back to dark brown. Arg. I was complaining about hair ( growing it out...keeping it short) but hubby wishes he had hair to complain about. So goes old age.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the nice compliments!
When I was a kid, Mom colored her hair. She always seemed to be in the bathroom touching up her roots, with a towel on her shoulders and that squeezy bottle of dye in her hands.
When my hair started to go gray, I didn't want to get stuck in that cycle, so I never colored it. I'm happy to let it grow a while and see what happens!

@stracci2000 your thick strong healthy longer locks look really amazing in an angled blunt cut like that. stylish, chic, fashionable an architecturally edgy. when i go gray im going to let it go natural and not color it, either.

on occasion, i see older women that have weak hair, and have colored their hair to cover gray. it is unhealthy, lots of breakage resulting in sparse sickly ends. so much better to have attractive healthy hair like yours with beautiful thickness, all the way through, to the ends

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have had long hair most of my adult life. I’m 48 and I don’t think I’ll be cutting my hair shorter in the foreseeable future. I think one should not play by rules, if you can still rock long hair, just do it! I dress younger than my age as well. Here is a picture of me from last week. I thought I still have enough hair that I get it layered, trimmed and 416146B4-E85F-42CD-885D-80BCB3456DE0.jpeg
thinned out a couple times a year, but judging from this picture, plus the fact that I’m hitting perimenopause and I may not need to get thinned out anymore.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have had long hair most of my adult life. I’m 48 and I don’t think I’ll be cutting my hair shorter in the foreseeable future. I think one should not play by rules, if you can still rock long hair, just do it! I dress younger than my age as well. Here is a picture of me from last week. I thought I still have enough hair that I get it layered, trimmed and 416146B4-E85F-42CD-885D-80BCB3456DE0.jpeg
thinned out a couple times a year, but judging from this picture, plus the fact that I’m hitting perimenopause and I may not need to get thinned out anymore.
Good for you !!!

I turned 49 last sept
my hair has always been thin
and right now its very over due for some red die
but noooooo way will i be cutting it either !

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
My long covid hair, lol..I've been grey for quite a few years & I'm closing in on 58..my hair has never been this long, but I have been liking it.. easy to braid when I'm wearing my bike helmet and generally, it's in a messy bun..I went almost a year without a hair cut and I usually get a trim every 6 weeks.. so it was kind of crazy.. I went through a period of lising a ton of hair a few years ago.. I take viviscal and I think it's made a difference but I also have been taking a good multivitamin the last year. Edited to say sorry about gigantic photos!! Yikes.. and I forgot to say I think you should rock whatever style hair you like!!

20201201_152742.jpg 20201126_103557.jpg 20200524_120430.jpg

juliaaumueller

Rough_Rock
There's definitely no age limit. I think many years ago once you hit 50, you were considered old & frumpy, but these days are VERY different. If it suits you, do it. My eldest sister is 55 & has a glorious mane that sits below her shoulders. She is always well put together & her lisa rinna hair always looks great, either worn up or down.

I turned 38 years old on February 4, my ex-husband bought me a birthday gift, I felt old now, I do not feel the excitement of wearing that ring first.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I haven't had mid back length hair since I was a kid. Truth be told long straight hair just doesn't suit me. Hence I've usually had the short bob with a long swoopy bang.

I did let my hair grow out with Covid--shoulder length-ish. I bought a $20 curling iron and have been creatiing different curling styles. I like it! But I notice the longer it gets, it matts. Matts=no good.

I don't equate age with any particular (rules about) hair length. Wear what you like--and if you cut it, it always grows back!

cheers--Sharon

Funny to see what I wrote a few months ago. My hair is driving me crazy! I'm seriously thinking of my beloved short hair again!! I have so much hair and it grows quickly.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My long covid hair, lol..I've been grey for quite a few years & I'm closing in on 58..my hair has never been this long, but I have been liking it.. easy to braid when I'm wearing my bike helmet and generally, it's in a messy bun..I went almost a year without a hair cut and I usually get a trim every 6 weeks.. so it was kind of crazy.. I went through a period of lising a ton of hair a few years ago.. I take viviscal and I think it's made a difference but I also have been taking a good multivitamin the last year. Edited to say sorry about gigantic photos!! Yikes.. and I forgot to say I think you should rock whatever style hair you like!!

Wow !
This is why i don't understand why peeps in other countries seemed to get so upset that hairdressers couldn't open in lockdown
your hear is DDG !
It looks so lush and healthy

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Did anyone else suffer hair loss from COVID stress? I see my hair has new growth everywhere. I was so thin a couple of months ago I considered a wig.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

Your hair is pretty! And you match your cat's color :)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Did anyone else suffer hair loss from COVID stress? I see my hair has new growth everywhere. I was so thin a couple of months ago I considered a wig.

Happened to me (still happening? Not sure.)
Where once my hair was thick enough to be actually problematic, now it is thinning, dry, brittle, and lifeless. I had read somewhere that a sudden stress (including but not limited to fever or illness) will cause hair changes.

Here’s a data point: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4606321/

I hope over time to regain healthy hair as it had been a source of self appreciation, but perhaps I should just adapt to my new reality. This is difficult. I hope it is easier for you than for me!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happened to me (still happening? Not sure.)
Where once my hair was thick enough to be actually problematic, now it is thinning, dry, brittle, and lifeless. I had read somewhere that a sudden stress (including but not limited to fever or illness) will cause hair changes.

Here’s a data point: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4606321/

I hope over time to regain healthy hair as it had been a source of self appreciation, but perhaps I should just adapt to my new reality. This is difficult. I hope it is easier for you than for me!

Hi @PreRaphaelite, I am so sorry this is happening to you but take heart. It is generally self limiting and hopefully your hair will return to its glorious state. I am sending you bucketloads of healthy hair dust. And (((Hugs))).

Have you (just in case) had a complete blood workup to make sure it is nothing else? Just a thought but it probably is stress induced. This has been an unprecedented year plus. Hopefully life will continue to get better and less stressful for everyone.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Hi @PreRaphaelite, I am so sorry this is happening to you but take heart. It is generally self limiting and hopefully your hair will return to its glorious state. I am sending you bucketloads of healthy hair dust. And (((Hugs))).

Have you (just in case) had a complete blood workup to make sure it is nothing else? Just a thought but it probably is stress induced. This has been an unprecedented year plus. Hopefully life will continue to get better and less stressful for everyone.

Thank you so much Missy. I’m learning to be more gentle with myself and trying to read up to learn more about healthy hair. As mine goes more gray and less red, I’m considering color (eventually). If you have any recommendations for new shampoos, etc, I’d be much obliged.

It does help to know that by the time Covid fades away, that my hair will at least be longer! ;-)

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! You look so much like a friend of ours! You could be sisters! Love your long locks, they suit you. And your cat is beautiful, too. :razz:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Missy. I’m learning to be more gentle with myself and trying to read up to learn more about healthy hair. As mine goes more gray and less red, I’m considering color (eventually). If you have any recommendations for new shampoos, etc, I’d be much obliged.

It does help to know that by the time Covid fades away, that my hair will at least be longer! ;-)

I use Gionvanni shampoo and conditioner. It's sulfate free, paraben free etc. and they don't test on animals.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my long hair and refuse to cut it short, though everyone says I look younger and fresher with short chic hair. I have it trimmed every six months or so to prevent it from looking straggly.

1614738942318.png

Last edited:

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I love my long hair and refuse to cut it short, though everyone says I look younger and fresher with short chic hair. I have it trimmed every six months or so to prevent it from looking straggly.

1614738942318.png

Phoenix,your hair is absolutely beautiful! It looks so thick & glossy......the envy of many ladies=)2

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I totally caved and got it cut yesterday. It’s Mississippi and about to be summer and IT wasn’t cooperating AT ALL. Give it two months....it’ll be long enough again. 9C78EEBC-9614-40CD-A667-3B2F3CB0022C.jpeg

Attachments

• 78D4C146-13D0-4A4F-8720-3812D81FEB47.jpeg
    78D4C146-13D0-4A4F-8720-3812D81FEB47.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 18

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally caved and got it cut yesterday. It’s Mississippi and about to be summer and IT wasn’t cooperating AT ALL. Give it two months....it’ll be long enough again. 9C78EEBC-9614-40CD-A667-3B2F3CB0022C.jpeg

Looks great! Sassy and sophisticated! Love it. :love:

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh tha
Looks great! Sassy and sophisticated! Love it. :love:

Oh thank you! I wanted it just a little longer, but my hair grows like you would not believe so it’s all good. I don’t use a straightening tool on it so it’s got a lot of curl to it that I can live with and deal with much better!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results