shape
carat
color
clarity

LOGR setting upgrade help, and which stone should I set in it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I won a LOGR setting.
12.gif
For those of you who have a LOGR, should I upgrade the diamonds (Si1 to Si2 now) and gold for this setting?

Also I''ll need to change the head as the prongs 5.7mm to 6.2mm rounds.

I have 3 loose stones, which stone should I set in this ring?
emteeth.gif

016a.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
1. 7.5mm garnet.

ga-1984g_531_general.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
2. 8.3mm tourmaline

t-6185g_1842_general.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
oops double post

ga-1984g_531_genera2l.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
this is the malaya garnet

mgarnetbarryl2.jpg

Adah

Shiny_Rock
I have a LOGR and didn''t upgrade and was very happy with their quality and workmanship
1.gif

I vote #2 the tourmaline!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
From these photos all the stones look like they could go into that setting, so I''ll suggest you go with whichever is the lightest in tone and/or most brightly colored - I would avoid a dark stone for this kind of super-white setting with a lot of diamonds so that it doesen''t end up looking blackish.

Unfortunatelly, I can''t help you with the rest.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have your own photos of the stones in various lighting? I would love to see the blue/green tourmaline since that color looks to be the most valuable of the three.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 6:51:13 AM
Author: ma re
From these photos all the stones look like they could go into that setting, so I''ll suggest you go with whichever is the lightest in tone and/or most brightly colored - I would avoid a dark stone for this kind of super-white setting with a lot of diamonds so that it doesen''t end up looking blackish.

Unfortunatelly, I can''t help you with the rest.
Thank you for your opinions Mr Ma Re, maybe from what you''re saying rules the malaya garnet out, and possibly the tourmaline too.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 4:47:45 AM
Author: Adah
I have a LOGR and didn''t upgrade and was very happy with their quality and workmanship
1.gif

I vote #2 the tourmaline!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Thank you for choosing Adah and your comments on LOGR, it''s very useful.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 7:28:18 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Do you have your own photos of the stones in various lighting? I would love to see the blue/green tourmaline since that color looks to be the most valuable of the three.
Hi TL

I don''t have the tourmaline and the first garnet with me, I think I''ll have it by next week. My favourite is also the tourmaline based on colour.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to see that tourmaline in the LGOR setting but because the Malaya is possibly the lightest of the three, perhaps it might be a better choice.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you place each stone into the setting and take photos then we could pick. That is when you get the setting and the stones.

Congrats on your lovely new setting!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
It''s very hard to tell which one would be best in that setting. It''s best to wait until you get them all in.

Please let me know how you like the setting. I was bidding on that one too! It''s very similar to my e-ring. It sits higher from what I can tell in the pictures so I''d love to know what you think about it. Hope it''s a beauty!
1.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Chrono for chiming in, the malaya is darker than this photo in most lighting conditions, and my heart is leaning towards the tourmaline as well.
5.gif

Thank you SH and Brandy, I would love to see the setting and stones together side by side, but I need to resize the prongs on this setting, and all three stones have a different diameter, so I think I need to make a decision without this advantage.
7.gif

Brandy - I''ll post photos of the setting once I get it, I''ve been eyeing this setting for a while too...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems: Congratulations on the ring - it looks nicely made from the vendor pics, and I hope you''re happy with it. Are you trying to decide which stone to set so he can customize the head? Is there a chance you have a local jeweler who could do this for you? That way, you''d be able to see it with all your stones side-by-side, and could make a better decision. I even think LOGR could send you the setting without a head, if you wanted. Just a thought. Did you get that umbalite garnet from Barry this weekend? I looked at that one! I also think any of your stones would look nice, but sometimes I like green stones in yellow gold. If your tourmaline has some blue though, it might look better in white gold. Keep us posted!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 10:31:55 AM
Author: cellentani
Lovinggems: Congratulations on the ring - it looks nicely made from the vendor pics, and I hope you''re happy with it. Are you trying to decide which stone to set so he can customize the head? Is there a chance you have a local jeweler who could do this for you? That way, you''d be able to see it with all your stones side-by-side, and could make a better decision. I even think LOGR could send you the setting without a head, if you wanted. Just a thought. Did you get that umbalite garnet from Barry this weekend? I looked at that one! I also think any of your stones would look nice, but sometimes I like green stones in yellow gold. If your tourmaline has some blue though, it might look better in white gold. Keep us posted!
Thanks Cell - I hope I''m getting this exact setting, at least it will be pretty decent. I am waiting for LOGR to reply regarding changing the basket so I might sleep on this. Yes I did get the Umbalite garnet, I think I''ll stop getting more gems for a while...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you''ve got some beautiful gems, I think I like the lighter color in that setting #3, do you have pictures of your gems not from the vendor?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think pics not taken by Barry might help, but based on the pics you posted, I love that blue green in that tourmaline!

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at that setting...can''t wait to see it set with a stone! I was thinking of the tourmaline, too. I feel proud that the "experts" agree!!! I think the coolness of blue will look nice in white gold (plat?).

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I think any of the stones would look lovely in that setting, but I am thinking the blue-green tourmaline too
30.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I vote the tourmaline.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
My vote goes for the green tourmaline as well! Lovely ring!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Based on 6 or 7 LOGR purchases, I will say definitely upgrade the diamonds! It is well worth it. Since all of my rings are upgraded, I cannot tell a story for comparison, but I am happy with the clean diamonds for sure! They are white and sparkly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 9:45:09 PM
Author: yingh

Based on 6 or 7 LOGR purchases, I will say definitely upgrade the diamonds! It is well worth it. Since all of my rings are upgraded, I cannot tell a story for comparison, but I am happy with the clean diamonds for sure! They are white and sparkly.
Ditto!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture is sure deceiving if the Malaya is darker than Barry''s picture. In that case, it''s the tourmaline all the way, baby!
9.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone, I think I might go with the tourmaline, but I''ll wait till I have them before confirming. LOGR mention they''ll need to custom made the ring with the bigger basket. Yikes with the upgrade diamonds it''ll cost double my winning bid, it''s good that I won it for lower than the BIN.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 10:54:50 PM
Author: Chrono
The picture is sure deceiving if the Malaya is darker than Barry''s picture. In that case, it''s the tourmaline all the way, baby!
9.gif
Hi Chrono, Barry''s garnet is very nice but it''s only that colour in the sun, it''s darker indoor, and I''m an 80% indoor person. An Etsy seller may be able to source a pink colour metal for my stone so I will most likely have him make a ring for my garnet.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I''m sorry that you have to decide sight unseen. I had some buyers tell me no need to upgrade LOGR diamonds and others say to do it. I''d love to know what you decide. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results