shape
carat
color
clarity

LOGR sent me the wrong mounting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I actually won this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/29ct-Diamond-14K-White-Gold-Semi-Mount-Engagement-Ring_W0QQitemZ220293333147QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220293333147&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

and he sent me this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROUND-6-5MM-DIAMOND-SEMI-MOUNT-14K-GOLD-ENGAGEMENT-RING_W0QQitemZ370094670814QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370094670814&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1309&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

It's nice, and they're comprable. I won't get the split shank and antique detailing, but I get the slightly fancier gallery and slightly more diamonds.

He also didn't size it to the right size (9 - fat fingers) and he sized it to an 8, but it still fits my ring fingers.

Here's a pic with my brownish pink diamond. I think it will be easier to get pink gold prongs for this than the other one. I'm working on having the white gold prongs replaced. I probably wouldn't be able to do that with the other mounting.

What does everyone thing I should do? I don't want to go through the bother of returning it, and it looks nice. Do you think it would a million times better with the other mounting?

pink_in_ring.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a funny picture of it with my obviously oversized fancy brown diamond. I think the brown looks nice against the white gold and gives me some good ideas of what to do with it.

brown_in_ring.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I do like them both, but if you really wanted the split shank, I would definitely return the setting they sent and get the split shank - at their expense. You''re right - the rose gold prongs would be easier with the one they sent you.

They did the same thing to me with my 3-sided pave eternity band, I asked for the pave eternity band, and he sent me the 3-sided with miligrain, and not the domed pave. But, to be honest, after wearing it for a while, I really like it better than the domed pave.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the other setting better honestly....

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto. I really like the split shank one.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I third that. Prefer the split shank.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is that I think it would be much easier to get rose gold prongs for this one. The other one would need the rose gold prongs soddered to the bezel, and I''m not sure if that can be done that easily, if it can be done at all. I really like the workmanship on this one. The ring seems more professionally made, nice millgrain work, and not as "lumpy" as the last one I received. I''m just afraid that if I return it, I might get something worse, or something not workable with rose gold prongs.

Here''s a closeup of the gallery with the "surprise" diamond. The other one doesn''t have as detailed and as high a gallery, but I guess that''s a matter of personal taste. I kind of like the prongs setting the diamond a bit higher as well, like it''s the star of the show. Do you still think it''s worth returning?

gallery_logr.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I like them both...it would be a tough decision for me!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
They both look pretty nice, and I see your point about the rose gold prongs. How bad do you want that split shank?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
The more I look at it, I actually like the basket of the one he sent you better. I''d probably just keep it and get the other one at a later time!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2008 11:16:14 PM
Author: Kelli
The more I look at it, I actually like the basket of the one he sent you better. I''d probably just keep it and get the other one at a later time!
Yes, I was thinking about doing that for another stone. I have to tell you, it must have been the master setter, worker, who did this one because the millgrain is superb and the stones are set really nicely. The bezel is perfectly circular as well and the polishing on this is nice. My oval LOGR is a bit "lumpy" and not perfectly oval.

Another pic - much clearer this time. I think the rose gold prongs will really do the stone justice in this setting. It will look like it''s floating.

logr_pink_halo.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does my brown look in white gold???

Should I get a white gold halo for that?

brown_in_logr_halo.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I like the brown in white. It looks pretty. I hope my oval setting isn''t too lumpy.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think you should keep this one and ask for a discount for your troubles on another setting :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good idea, will do that!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2008 11:56:48 PM
I like the brown in white. It looks pretty. I hope my oval setting isn''t too lumpy.
I''m sure your setting will be gorgeous. You only notice it if you have super keen vision like me, and you look really up close. Everyone still stares at my oval LOGR ring. I love it. Here''s a side pic. I forgot to post pictures of my set stone on this

logr_oval.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the one you received, and think it will look awesome with rose gold prongs. I do think you should be compensated for the mistake, however
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 8:17:19 AM
Author: DandiAndi
I prefer the one you received, and think it will look awesome with rose gold prongs. I do think you should be compensated for the mistake, however
9.gif
Ditto!

And I think the brown would look lovely in a white gold halo!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2008 12:34:34 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

I''m sure your setting will be gorgeous. You only notice it if you have super keen vision like me, and you look really up close. Everyone still stares at my oval LOGR ring. I love it. Here''s a side pic. I forgot to post pictures of my set stone on this

Since you already have a split shank setting... I think you should keep the new one. I know mistakes happen...but I would hate for you to go through the hassle and it still may not be right. I kinda think there mistake was meant to be.
3.gif
It seems the prongs will be easier to change to rose gold. The pink diamond is beautiful, however, consider there may be a little air space. I think the brown diamond will be GORGEOUS. It looks like it will fit the setting better without any air space.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree that the workmanship on this one is good. Since you''ve fallen in love with it and it''s easier to get rose gold prongs, I''ll change my vote and say keep it!
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2008 9:31:45 AM
Author: cushioncutnut

Since you already have a split shank setting... I think you should keep the new one. I know mistakes happen...but I would hate for you to go through the hassle and it still may not be right. I kinda think there mistake was meant to be.
3.gif
It seems the prongs will be easier to change to rose gold. The pink diamond is beautiful, however, consider there may be a little air space. I think the brown diamond will be GORGEOUS. It looks like it will fit the setting better without any air space.
Well, he was supposed to make it to fit a 5mm stone, I paid extra for that. However, it might be a bit too large for the 5mm. Do you think so by the pics? I think it''s too big, but I''m more into stones than settings.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
My opinion, take it or leave it ...

CUT OFF THOSE PRONGS TOTALLY. And have your jeweler do a sweet, sweet rose gold BEZEL inside of that white gold halo.

I just have a pet peeve against prongs that stick out that far away from a halo. (Or really prongs with a halo generally)

*ducks*

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2008 1:41:14 PM
Author: decodelighted
My opinion, take it or leave it ...

CUT OFF THOSE PRONGS TOTALLY. And have your jeweler do a sweet, sweet rose gold BEZEL inside of that white gold halo.

I just have a pet peeve against prongs that stick out that far away from a halo. (Or really prongs with a halo generally)

*ducks*
Do you think a jeweler could easily do that? It is a very good idea. Getting jewelers to do anything with rose gold is more difficult than getting astronauts to the moon.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 1:43:42 PM
Do you think a jeweler could easily do that? It is a very good idea. Getting jewelers to do anything with rose gold is more difficult than getting astronauts to the moon.
I would *hope* so, but don''t know for sure how easy it would be. In my imagination they''d bezel the diamond as if they were making a handmade rose gold bezel set earring -- then solder it into the white gold halo & if the rose gold halo suffered any dings or warping in the process ... miligrain it afterwards!

Wonder if Stuller sells any rose gold bezel settings for earrings? A jeweler could set the diamond, lop off the post & sink it down into your setting that way too. (If the bezel wasn''t fatter than the halo I guess).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called a jeweler near my house, and they said they would have to mold the ring to do it. The final cost would probably be more than the mounting itself!! Well, you have to do what you have to do.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2008 1:50:42 PM

Date: 10/16/2008 1:43:42 PM

I would *hope* so, but don''t know for sure how easy it would be. In my imagination they''d bezel the diamond as if they were making a handmade rose gold bezel set earring -- then solder it into the white gold halo & if the rose gold halo suffered any dings or warping in the process ... miligrain it afterwards!

Wonder if Stuller sells any rose gold bezel settings for earrings? A jeweler could set the diamond, lop off the post & sink it down into your setting that way too. (If the bezel wasn''t fatter than the halo I guess).

I do think the opening is a little too big for the pink diamond...
5.gif
Deco...that is a good idea....but as TL found out... the labor and any added gold could end up costing more than the setting. I think the setting is definately a keeper and I am sure that for the price, you could love it all the same whether you set the pink diamond in it or the brown diamond.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think you should still attempt to get a partial refund or discount.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

That looks pretty nice to me. Given that this is no engagement ring, I''m sure I''ll be satisfied! Thank you for posting that pic. When you get around to it, could I see the top of it too? It looks very pretty
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2008 5:47:03 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I think you should still attempt to get a partial refund or discount.
I emailed him twice about this, and he usually gets back to me right away. No response in almost two days. If he contacts me, I''ll let everyone know. I''d like at least some response. I''ll give him another day or so. Maybe he''s just busy with orders.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Personally I don''t care for the prongs at all. Since you said the craftmanship on the setting is really great and you do plan on putting a special colored stone in it, I would spend the extra necessary to take off the prongs and make a rose gold bezel.

May I ask where you purchased the pink diamond?
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results