shape
carat
color
clarity

Live Streaming of the Elizabeth Taylor Jewelry Auction!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I understand that, Coati, but at what point does an out of the ball park estimate become, well, rather unethical? The auction house is saying that they believe in that price, yet we are seeing things going for 10, 20 times the estimate.

Taj Mahal is up!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think a low estimate is unethical. I may think it's ridiculous but not unscrupulous. With Elizabeth Taylor's collection on the world tour, I think they were shooting for a broader audience of interest...though realistically, only a certain tier would be able to bid at all.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Exciting! (to say the least!....!)

cheers--Sharon

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Re: Live Streaming of the Elizabeth Taylor Jewelry Auction

Lady_Disdain|1323824141|3080999 said:
Wow - the rings are closing at $85k! Over 10 times the estimate for some small diamonds.

That's amazing!

Someone mentioned forgive me but I can't recall who in the thread on the jewelry forum this is the last time this collection will be together. It seems right to me though because the best pieces were bought at auction in the first place and now each piece will have the provenance of having been owned by Elizabeth Taylor and will have paperwork to prove it.

I wish pieces like the pearl and Taj Mahal diamond were in museums but that's not what she decided so we have to respect that. I don't want them to disappear from view either. But such is history.

What an exciting event! :appl:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy mackrel .... 5.2 million for that sapphire necklace. Eiyiyi!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy mackrel .... 5.2 million for that sapphire necklace. Eiyiyi!

ETA: Guesses about the Krupp then? If that went for 5.2 million & the other went for ELEVEN MILLION .... I'd say TWENTY FIVE MILLION for the Krupp. Any other guesses??

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ha! I was just going to ask the same about the Krupp! I just read that the current auction totals are nearing $100 million.

My guess is about the same as yours for the Krupp, but I was wondering if it could possibly go for $1 million/carat. mebe?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
8 times the high end of the estimate seems to be about average for the important pieces in the auction, so I am guessing around $25 million as well. I am very curious about the Prince of Wales brooch too.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
coatimundi|1323834822|3081198 said:
ha! I was just going to ask the same about the Krupp! I just read that the current auction totals are nearing $100 million.

My guess is about the same as yours for the Krupp, but I was wondering if it could possibly go for $1 million/carat. mebe?

I did a very rough sum and came up at $95million (round off a lot!).

It's the ruby ring's turn

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
$4.2million for the tiara.

The diamond is up!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kadakia is getting tripped up by the Krupp! eta: it's stalling out faster than I thought...must be the clarity :cheeky:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i find it sad that she didn't leave that last ring to someone.....lots of history in that.

eta: wow, 7.8million! and possibly more!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very sad indeed, MZ. I feel sorry that there wasn't anyone close to her to get a few of these beauties.

Bidding seems very slow.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anti-climactic! I thought for sure it would go for more!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
$8.8 million for the Taylor diamond. I admit I am surprised. I expected it to go much higher than the Taj Mahal.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wonder if people who wanted that figured they couldn't get it ... so bought other things & spent their dough earlier.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was amazing to watch but I have to say I was disappointed by the Elizabeth Taylor diamond! I thought it would have at least cracked 10 million! Can't wait to see what the next set of results are!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yah seriously. I thought it would at least crack $10 million. Even the Christie's folk looked disappointed. Flat ending.

(lol on deco's "bargain basement" Krupp from the other thread. sums it up for me!)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1323830945|3081116 said:
$974k against an estimate of $12-15k. The estimate seems very weird to me. You couldn't buy a similar new watch and this one has the added bonus of being worn on the set of Cleopatra.

OMG! :o

I'm such a fan of this piece because it is a JLC watch with the same 12, 3, 6, 9 dial as the JLC MUT I bought ($2,000 new, what a steal watches used to be :???: ) and sold five years later instead of paying an estimated $600 for routine servicing (wah! - I should have kept it and not let anyone touch it but live and learn).

Wow. I knew that estimate was a joke but I didn't think it would sell for a million dollars!

Thanks so much! :))

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
When do we find out who bought what? And please, I hope they all don't wish to remain anonymous.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1323836910|3081235 said:
I wonder if people who wanted that figured they couldn't get it ... so bought other things & spent their dough earlier.

Umm, people who bid on items....cannot they afford to buy other...things? Doesn't matter, it is what it is!

BTW where does it all go: Private collections? Beyonce? Museums?

cheers--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1323838249|3081256 said:
HA. I thought "Beyonce" too. I can see her rocking that Krupp. But I'm guessing it's some obscure zillionaire's wife's RHR now. LOL.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised by that too. That was her signature piece.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1323839100|3081261 said:
canuk-gal|1323838249|3081256 said:
HA. I thought "Beyonce" too. I can see her rocking that Krupp. But I'm guessing it's some obscure zillionaire's wife's RHR now. LOL.
Sorry Beyonce! ..."Christie’s says a private buyer from Asia purchased the ring, which was estimated to sell for $2.5 to $3.5 million."

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
wow!this thread made my day! im very disappointed that the Krupp didn't go for more!i was sure it would hit a low of 10 million!someone got a deal! who know that the pearl would hit the 11million mark!does anyone know what the group of 16 bangles with antique coins went for?these were some of my favorites on the auction.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jewelerman|1323884026|3081482 said:
wow!this thread made my day! im very disappointed that the Krupp didn't go for more!i was sure it would hit a low of 10 million!someone got a deal! who know that the pearl would hit the 11million mark!does anyone know what the group of 16 bangles with antique coins went for?these were some of my favorites on the auction.

Great auction..., I believe it blew all trade buyers out of the water. It was a Private's heaven.
I would rather have the Taj over the Krupp any day... :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results