shape
carat
color
clarity

Live Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The persistence of the gop prosecutor to attempt to establish that Ford is doing this because of political motivation is failing.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lindsey Graham...pig.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched, and I’ll credit her bravery in sitting at that table; I appreciate how difficult that is and the pressure. I think both sides treated her fairly and respectfully, and I hope they afford the same fairness & respect to Kavanaugh when it’s his turn so that we can really hear the testimony vs have the distractions of theatrics and protestors we saw a couple weeks ago, since this isn’t a criminal trial, as Sens. Hirono & Booker reminded everyone.

I will say I am troubled by her periodic inability to recall certain details. Not details about her experience or the alleged attack (I get that); rather, other details since then - two months ago - as well as other inconsistencies in her statements provided just in the last few weeks/months. And her apparent inability to understand what were in some cases pretty simple questions for a person with her level of education (e.g, “did you or someone on your behalf ...” and she didn’t seem to understand what “on your behalf” meant).

I’m not saying she’s lying, perhaps she’s just genuinely confused. But those inconsistencies & confusion about even such recent events or ability to understand simple questions do not in my mind help establish “credibility” (as Hirono said was required) on her part when it comes to her statement about being “100% certain” it was Kav. And that IS the one question EVERYONE is trying to get answered - “did he do what she alleges?”

That’s all I’m going to say for now. Will see how the rest of the hearing goes and what Kav has to say.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched, and I’ll credit her bravery in sitting at that table; I appreciate how difficult that is and the pressure. I think both sides treated her fairly and respectfully, and I hope they afford the same fairness & respect to Kavanaugh when it’s his turn so that we can really hear the testimony vs have the distractions of theatrics and protestors we saw a couple weeks ago, since this isn’t a criminal trial, as Sens. Hirono & Booker reminded everyone.

I will say I am troubled by her periodic inability to recall certain details. Not details about her experience or the alleged attack (I get that); rather, other details since then - two months ago - as well as other inconsistencies in her statements provided just in the last few weeks/months. And her apparent inability to understand what were in some cases pretty simple questions for a person with her level of education (e.g, “did you or someone on your behalf ...” and she didn’t seem to understand what “on your behalf” meant).

I’m not saying she’s lying, perhaps she’s just genuinely confused. But those inconsistencies & confusion about even such recent events or ability to understand simple questions do not in my mind help establish “credibility” (as Hirono said was required) on her part when it comes to her statement about being “100% certain” it was Kav. And that IS the one question EVERYONE is trying to get answered - “did he do what she alleges?”

That’s all I’m going to say for now. Will see how the rest of the hearing goes and what Kav has to say.

I think you have to appreciate the level of stress that this involves. Under stress is it more difficult to think clearly. It is literally physiologically more difficult to recall information and to be coherent when you are flooded with adrenaline. I can say that when testifying as an expert witness there have been times when under cross examination I have had moments where I have just gone blank. 15 years of training, 20 years of practicing, and I can't recall a term I use on a daily basis or simple details of a case that I have worked for months, without having to consult notes. Or said something that I later said to myself "what were you thinking?!?" And that's just in a regular courtroom, talking about something that I am not personally invested in (where I have no stake in the outcome), not talking about something traumatic in front of a Senate Committee and millions of people.

Its the sad way we go after women who testify about assault. Somehow, if you can't remember what you had for breakfast that morning (or in this case, who you might have shown which documents to), you're deemed less credible about the stuff that is literally seared into memory like it happened yesterday.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its the sad way we go after women who testify about assault. Somehow, if you can't remember what you had for breakfast that morning (or in this case, who you might have shown which documents to), you're deemed less credible about the stuff that is literally seared into memory like it happened yesterday.

I understand, but this hearing - as Democrat senators have clearly & repeatedly pointed out - is about who is “more credible”. I didn’t make the rules.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched her for a few hours this morning but not all of the questioning.
Watching her and listening to her, I find her totally credible. She’s telling the truth as much as she remembers, or move over Meryl Streep there’s a better actress in town.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand, but this hearing - as Democrat senators have clearly & repeatedly pointed out - is about who is “more credible”. I didn’t make the rules.

No, but you're using things that don't matter to judge credibility. Do you *really* believe that a woman with two Masters degrees and a Ph.D. doesn't understand the term "on your behalf?" Or do you think that she's just having a moment under the extreme level of stress that she is under right now.

I personally wanted her to be stronger. Calmer. Firmer. Less tearful and fragile and scattered seeming. And then I reminded myself that I was being judgmental of a woman who is talking about the worst moment of her life on international television in front of a panel of old men who are doing their best to not believe her. Who has had death threats. Who probably hasn't slept in weeks. Who is reliving trauma. And who knows...if she was strong and calm and firm, people would probably just twist that too and say that it didn't happen because she's not crying. So you can't win I guess.

As an aside, it's the way all women everywhere have their credibility questioned and it drives me crazy. Men don't get questioned this way. And I say that in all seriousness. I have never once been in a courtroom where a man has been asked "do you remember what color the wallpaper was when you got assaulted? No? Well maybe you don't remember the assault." But it happens to women all the time.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a man can’t get emotional without being criticized?
A man who is defending his character and career from allegations he denies. We'll see how much objectivity shows up after it is over.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s he saying now? He’s on the stand?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In some ways he reminds me of Cosby who arrogantly thought because he was a star that he was immune from criticism let alone the law. I'm sure trump's base thinks he's fabulous because he is being belligerent and combative and they like that a whole lot.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Belligerent...definitely.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me just say this: in the scope of statement analysis, innocent people get angry.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand his anger; I'd be angry too -- whether I was innocent or guilty.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cosby and Weinstein were and still are angry and they're guilty. I'm not saying Kav's guilty. At this point I'd support hypnosis for accused and accusers if it would get to the bottom of the matter.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He just asked Senator Kobluchar if she passes out when she drinks. :eek2::eek2::eek2:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me just say this: in the scope of statement analysis, innocent people get angry.

So do guilty people trying to cover up their guilt. Deny, deny, get angry, deny. I don’t think this is telling in one direction or the other.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing today was.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would expect a judge to be much more composed than Kavanaugh appeared today. He acted extremely angry, raging and emotional but I didn’t see him wipe any tears away. He acted disrespectful to senators at times.

If Dr. Ford had acted as angry and emotional, she would have been called hysterical.

When Durbin asked Kavanaugh to ask for an FBI investigation, he didnt ask for an FBI investigation. That was telling. Innocent people generally have nothing to hide.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He just asked Senator Kobluchar if she pissed out when she drinks. :eek2::eek2::eek2:

Am I the only one who thinks he looked super passed after speaking with her?

He acts like someone with a drinking problem. How many drinks it too many? He didnt answer. He asked senators what they like to drink. Mark Judge’s letter was BS. We don’t even know what the letter said.

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't get to watch Kav's portion yet due to work but will watch it tonight.

Innocent people generally have nothing to hide.

I know of no case where some asked the FBI to investigate something they say didn't happen.

"Hi, FBI. I didn't commit sexual assault but can you maybe do an investigation, ya know, double check for me? I have a job interview at 2:00 today. Thanks! What? No, I don't have a 'when' or 'where', so maybe you can just scan the entire past 53 years to be sure."

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't get to watch Kav's portion yet due to work but will watch it tonight.

I know of no case where some asked the FBI to investigate something they say didn't happen.

"Hi, FBI. I didn't commit sexual assault but can you maybe do an investigation, ya know, double check for me? I have a job interview at 2:00 today. Thanks! What? No, I don't have a 'when' or 'where', so maybe you can just scan the entire past 53 years to be sure."

I would think he would welcome an impartial investigation to clear his name, whether he gets this job that he is applying for or not. He is a federal judge in the public eye. You’d think he wouldn’t want this to follow him.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think he would welcome an impartial investigation to clear his name, whether he gets this job that he is applying for or not. He is a federal judge in the public eye. You’d think he wouldn’t want this to follow him.

One would think...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results