shape
carat
color
clarity

Live Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many of the "I'm switching to the republican party" articles and social media posts written by the russian trolls that have been exposed as such are templates where the reason/situation leading to party switching is changed to fit current events. Many of the authors are allegedly minorities or other members of disenfranchised groups. I've seen thousands of them on FB and in liberal and conservative publications. I didn't claim your link was such a pub, but it sure follows the pattern and gave me an eerie flashback feeling when I read it. These trolls have infiltrated more places than you would think so regardless of this particular article, please don't underestimate their power to infiltrate.
Then I would suggest you do the same with articles going the other direction. Trolls want to sow discord.

I don't FB except with my family and I sure don't read articles from there.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then I would suggest you do the same with articles going the other direction. Trolls want to sow discord.
I do. I read a variety of conservative and liberal sources and search for patterns that give me a fair amount of confidence that what I'm reading is reasonably accurate while still being aware that everything will have a leaning in one particular direction over another. The trolls want to sow more than discord and have unfortunately succeeded in creating the great partisan divide we're all trying to cope with.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kavanaugh lied about his drinking in high school and college. If he lies about small things what does this say about his credibility. Many people drink in high school and college. They don’t lie about it.

I found it telling that the republicans have had no regard for the way the Trump Administration has affected thousands and thousands of people’s lives. Yet these same senators were almost moved to tears by Kavanaugh’s testimony. Kavanaugh isn’t facing prosecution, he may not get on the Supreme Court. That is hardly life altering in the way other lives have been altered with little to no empathy by many republicans . Yet they were moved to tears for Kavanaugh? The selected empathy many republicans have is terrible.

The absence of Mark Judge from the hearing was suspicious and the republicans not bringing him before the panel to say Kavanaugh was innocent was also telling. He has stated he didn’t recall this happening which is very different from saying this did NOT happen. This was a carefully planned statement because it’s difficult to charge someone with perjury when their statement isn’t one that draws a conclusion that he was intentionally lying.
You're right, most people wouldn't lie about such a trivial thing. But then, most people aren't sitting on a hot seat interviewing for one of the highest positions in the land. Don't you see, he couldn't tell the truth, because that could very well lend itself to the allegation he's being accused of (whether he was/is truly guilty or not). And he (nor dare I say anyone else) is not going to cut his own throat. It's human nature. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. IMHO

And I am in no way excusing him/saying he's not guilty. I'm just saying, there are some people in this thread, that with ALL due respect, aren't looking at some things realistically.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. I read a variety of conservative and liberal sources and search for patterns that give me a fair amount of confidence that what I'm reading is reasonably accurate while still being aware that everything will have a leaning in one particular direction over another. The trolls want to sow more than discord and have unfortunately succeeded in creating the great partisan divide we're all trying to cope with.
For the most part National Review and The Federalist are pretty reputable as far as a publication goes. Of course they lean right and NR has plenty of never-Trumpers. I am very fond of Wm. Buckley, Jr. So glad the Hoover Institution put up the vids of Firing Line. Milton Friedman is awesome too. I can be thankful for the digital age in this respect.

Last edited:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many of the "I'm switching to the republican party" articles and social media posts written by the russian trolls that have been exposed as such are templates where the reason/situation leading to party switching is changed to fit current events. Many of the authors are allegedly minorities or other members of disenfranchised groups. I've seen thousands of them on FB and in liberal and conservative publications. I didn't claim your link was such a pub, but it sure follows the pattern and gave me an eerie flashback feeling when I read it. These trolls have infiltrated more places than you would think so regardless of this particular article, please don't underestimate their power to infiltrate.

+1

The article also seemed to switch between female and male point of view. Very odd...

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Calliecake, sorry I'm not quoting your last post, but they had tears in their eyes because they know they have skeletons in their own closets and are feeling SUPER FEARFUL now. And I am here for it. All of these a-holes have gotten away with this shit for FAR too long. It's about time they start getting exposed.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kavanaugh lied about his drinking in high school and college. If he lies about small things what does this say about his credibility. Many people drink in high school and college. They don’t lie about it.

AND he lied UNDER OATH.

I found it telling that the republicans have had no regard for the way the Trump Administration has affected thousands and thousands of people’s lives. Yet these same senators were almost moved to tears by Kavanaugh’s testimony. Kavanaugh isn’t facing prosecution, he may not get on the Supreme Court. That is hardly life altering in the way other lives have been altered with little to no empathy by many republicans . Yet they were moved to tears for Kavanaugh? The selected empathy many republicans have is terrible.

Tears for Kavanaugh, but NOT Ford. They sympathize with him. Because they probably did the same shit.

The absence of Mark Judge from the hearing was suspicious and the republicans not bringing him before the panel to say Kavanaugh was innocent was also telling. He has stated he didn’t recall this happening which is very different from saying this did NOT happen. This was a carefully planned statement because it’s difficult to charge someone with perjury when their statement isn’t one that draws a conclusion that he was intentionally lying.

This is important. NO one said "it didn't happen. They either said "I don't remember" or "I don't recall." MULTIPLE classmates of Kavanaugh's have said on national television or in interviews that he lied under oath about his drinking and all the abbreviations brought up in his yearbook. Do I give a shit that he was in a frat and got drunk or had anal sex every weekend? Nope. Do I care that he BALD-FACED LIED under oath about it? Yep.

Kavanaugh is done. He will never get on the Supreme Court now. Because he chose to lie about EVERYTHING.

YOU cannot LIE under OATH during a job interview for the Supreme Court of the United States and expect that people are going to give you a freaking pass.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but I still believe he’ll be confirmed. The president lies and people give him passes time after time.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched parts of the hearng. First, I felt very sorry for Christine Blasey Ford. It is a horrible ordeal for a person with PTSD to testify in public.

But I must say - I really respect Kamala Harris for her comments to Ford. Not only what she said, how she said it.

I think the sad issue is, too many men have no clue about the emotions the sexual assault causes in the victim. This is why we get so many negative comments online.

I am following other cases, btw, victims of violent crimes, etc, and it is surprising how deeply ingrained in our culture victim-blaming is. Among all crimes I read about, only animals are not blamed for what happened to them.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but I still believe he’ll be confirmed. The president lies and people give him passes time after time.

Yup. No one cares.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is also very sad (besides the sexual misconduct accusations) is that this man has zero qualifications to become the Superior Court member except for his religious views. His judicial record and career achievements are shockingly mediocre.

On a side note, I did not like him yelling and getting red in the face - I feel that judges have to be balanced enough, and his speech indicates pent up anger that might become a problem should he become the Justice.

Last edited:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, this is basically what I am thinking as well.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're right, most people wouldn't lie about such a trivial thing. But then, most people aren't sitting on a hot seat interviewing for one of the highest positions in the land. Don't you see, he couldn't tell the truth, because that could very well lend itself to the allegation he's being accused of (whether he was/is truly guilty or not). And he (nor dare I say anyone else) is not going to cut his own throat. It's human nature. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. IMHO

And I am in no way excusing him/saying he's not guilty. I'm just saying, there are some people in this thread, that with ALL due respect, aren't looking at some things realistically.

@Ellen, I just don’t see it the same way. Of course he could tell the truth. He chose not to. He lied about the comments in the yearbook as well.
When you lie your integrity is going to be questioned. You can’t paint a picture of yourself as a choir boy when it’s not the truth. He should have been honest. Character matters.

Kavanaugh acted entitled, belligerent and aggressive during the hearing. He deflected and would not answer questions directly. None of this was a good look when you are accused of sexual assault. The man looked like a rabid possum.

We are now living in Trump Country. Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember, w/o the Dems. leaking about the letter this would be nonn topic.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Ellen, I just don’t see it the same way. Of course he could tell the truth. He chose not to. He lied about the comments in the yearbook as well.
When you lie your integrity is going to be questioned. You can’t paint a picture of yourself as a choir boy when it’s not the truth. He should have been honest. Character matters.

Kavanaugh acted entitled, belligerent and aggressive during the hearing. He deflected and would not answer questions directly. None of this was a good look when you are accused of sexual assault. The man looked like a rabid possum.

We are now living in Trump Country. Kavanaugh will be confirmed.
I agree with everything you said. But I still say he's been painted into a corner, and it wouldn't matter whether he lied or not, he'd still come out looking badly. But telling the truth could very well tip the scale. We'll never know, because he didn't choose that route.

Again, please don't think that I think he should lie, or that I don't think integrity is important. I definitely do. This is just my view of things. :wink2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a side note, I did not like him yelling and getting red in the face - I feel that judges have to be balanced enough, and his speech indicates pent up anger that might become a problem should he become the Justice.

:hand: He wasn’t presiding over a case on Thursday; he was defending HIMSELF - big difference! YUGE!

This is one more thing that frustrates me about this ‘environment’ - it’s perfectly okay for Ford to show emotion, fear, cry, etc., and no one dare call her hysterical, emotional, etc. Kavanaugh is defending himself, his integrity, his name, his family, his life, etc. against some pretty horrific accusations. If he sat there all emotionless, calm, cool & collected, I’d wonder WTF was wrong with him to not be so upset about his reputation and family being drug through the mud and the threats to all of them.

But no, because he’s a man he’s not allowed to or supposed to show emotion. :snooty:

The double standards just continue ... :doh:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:hand: He wasn’t presiding over a case on Thursday; he was defending HIMSELF - big difference! YUGE!

This is one more thing that frustrates me about this ‘environment’ - it’s perfectly okay for Ford to show emotion, fear, cry, etc., and no one dare call her hysterical, emotional, etc. Kavanaugh is defending himself, his integrity, his name, his family, his life, etc. against some pretty horrific accusations. If he sat there all emotionless, calm, cool & collected, I’d wonder WTF was wrong with him to not be so upset about his reputation and family being drug through the mud and the threats to all of them.

But no, because he’s a man he’s not allowed to or supposed to show emotion. :snooty:

In fact wasn't that what was said about his Fox interview and his hearings? He shows no emotion and is robotic. :roll2: No, he is constructionist and that is the entire problem.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I expected him to be rightfully emotional. He lost me as the hearing progressed when it became apparent to me that his anger was not because he was unjustly accused but because his ego was bruised. I know that expecting people to act in a way that I feel is honorable is my issue, however, he and his testimony would have been more palatable to me if his anger was honed a bit by dignity and if he didn't start with a conspiracy theory -- the stuff about the election, clintons, and revenge was too much for me and moved him from the "maybe" column to the "hell no" column.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I expected him to be rightfully emotional. He lost me as the hearing progressed when it became apparent to me that his anger was not because he was unjustly accused but because his ego was bruised. I know that expecting people to act in a way that I feel is honorable is my issue, however, he and his testimony would have been more palatable to me if his anger was honed a bit by dignity and if he didn't start with a conspiracy theory -- the stuff about the election, clintons, and revenge was too much for me and moved him from the "maybe" column to the "hell no" column.
I wonder if the anger lead to this because the pious attitude of some of the Dems during his hearing was palpable and I know myself when that happens to me. The whole thing stinks and I don't blame him for being angry.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata I think it was more embarrassment than ego. Who really wants to have their HS antics about farting, craptalk, etc. put on televised national display ... as an adult?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata I think it was more embarrassment than ego. Who really wants to have their HS antics about farting, craptalk, etc. put on televised national display ... as an adult?
Maybe but he was angry as well. The people who are put off by his anger didn't want him in the seat anyway. Perhaps it was a "what have I got to lose" moment. Especially since he is normally a pretty bland person.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if he had handled himself differently at the hearing and acted calm, composed and thoughtful he would already be voted in. Even if he wasn’t accused of sexual assault I would still think he isn’t fit to be on Supreme Court. You can’t be asked questions about your drinking and answer them the way an alcoholic would and think people aren’t going to notice. He was lying about his drinking and that was obvious as well.

Newsweek had a poll showing the majority of republicans believe sexual assault should not disqualify Kavanaugh if proven. This makes me want to cry.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe but he was angry as well. The people who are put off by his anger didn't want him in the seat anyway. Perhaps it was a "what have I got to lose" moment. Especially since he is normally a pretty bland person.

I would agree, and I don’t blame him one bit for being angry. Even IF he is guilty, even accused parties have rights, and his have been squashed under the toes of Dems in their piss-poor handling of this entire debacle.

And those who pick apart his emotion now and say he doesn’t deserve to be on the bench because of it never supported him much less had an open mind about him in the first place, even when he was calm, cool & collected ... ya’ll aren’t fooling anyone but yourselves about that. :hand:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if he had handled himself differently at the hearing and acted calm, composed and thoughtful he would already be voted in. Even if he wasn’t accused of sexual assault I would still think he isn’t fit to be on Supreme Court. You can’t be asked questions about your drinking and answer them the way an alcoholic would and think people aren’t going to notice.

I have never heard of an employer picking the candidate that repeatedly says how much they love beer during a job interview.

Newsweek had a poll showing the majority of republicans believe sexual assault should not disqualify Kavanaugh if proven. This makes me want to cry.
I don't believe the bold for a minute.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone think the two women that were trying to talk to Flake while he was in the elevator helped in his decision to ask for the FBI investigation?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t say helped his decision but rather forced his hand. To not agree to do so will potentially raise too much ire and public protest; accusations of not caring about the women pleading his reconsideration.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone think the two women that were trying to talk to Flake while he was in the elevator helped in his decision to ask for the FBI investigation?

I hope they didn’t. Yelling like a wild banshee at me for something I did not do and precluding me from going about my business, holding me hostage in an elevator like they did him, I’d have probably clocked one or both of them ... unapologetically.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope they didn’t. Yelling like a wild banshee at me for something I did not do and precluding me from going about my business, holding me hostage in an elevator like they did him, I’d have probably clocked one or both of them ... unapologetically.

:lol: You do you, girl.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results