shape
carat
color
clarity

Lightbox 2.0 ct Engagement Ring

jeffportnoy

Rough_Rock
Will expand on the post later but here are a few photos of an engagement ring I’m having made using 3 Lightbox (let’s just call them what they are- DeBeers lab) diamonds. I knew basically nothing before buying these but have since done some reading on diamonds in general, lab diamonds and these specific ones.
Ring has:
Two 0.5 round stones and one 1.0 ct princess cut.
The round ones measure 5.06mm and the princess is 5.37mm.
The individual stones weigh: .50, .51 and .997 ct. respectively
Apparently tests show these fall into very good-excellent cut, G color, VS1-VVS clarity, and have no HPHT trickery done to improve their appearance after growth, a claim <25% of lab diamonds can make. They also don’t display the common tell-take “flash” most labs have under UV lighting.
All-in-all they work for me. I’m someone who doesn’t care about stones all that much or buy into the diamond marketing hype. Given the budget a nice, 2+ ct Alexandrite,Painite or Grandidierite would be my choice TBH. They’re actually rare.
E945D62C-43CB-410F-BE2B-927CCB8BDA08.jpeg C7451720-A52B-4B5C-9D29-D883B3B9763E.jpeg 7071CCB7-D9A3-4025-8A61-FEB17EF23B5C.jpeg C796F35A-8AB9-4FEF-93B8-9DC54FD9FC64.jpeg
57D965A4-DDB0-419B-87C5-27AE5CDE5750.jpeg

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you explain what the band is for in your photos? Are you planning on using that to make the 3 stone?

Is this ring for you? I wonder if you should have gone with quarter carats on each side of the main stone (.5 ctw). If this is for you then I figure
you know what you like and go right ahead!

Curious to see how it turns out!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks great! Can’t wait to see the finished results!

jeffportnoy

Rough_Rock
Can you explain what the band is for in your photos? Are you planning on using that to make the 3 stone?

Is this ring for you? I wonder if you should have gone with quarter carats on each side of the main stone (.5 ctw). If this is for you then I figure
you know what you like and go right ahead!

Curious to see how it turns out!

It’s going to be set like the mock up, so sideways(?). The jeweler will cut the band and insert the settings somehow.
It’s an engagement ring so being made in secret (I mean not that much of a surprise...she’ll say “yes”). My GF showed me some stuff she likes, Alexis Russell natural/dirty diamonds - so kinda did a mix of traditional style stones with a ring similar to what that designer does. She really isn’t too picky. She said a “cheap gemstone” would work...attractive cars, houses and clothes I know. Jewelry - clueless.
Hoping the stones aren’t too big so you may be right with the .25 vs .50.

jeffportnoy

Rough_Rock
I don't think the sides are necessarily too big, depends on how it all goes together. Have you thought about kite setting the princess so the points are nsew?

40a820eb89d62610311f0ed200ab4101.jpg
I was thinking the exact same thing. I really like how that looks. Just texted the jewelry store to see if that’s possible and she said she thinks so, has to confirm with the jeweler.
If it matters, her ring size is 8.5 (she’s skinny but has big fingers lol).

Last edited:

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't think the sides are necessarily too big, depends on how it all goes together. Have you thought about kite setting the princess so the points are nsew?

40a820eb89d62610311f0ed200ab4101.jpg
Omg what a great suggestion! So pretty and unique!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They also don’t display the common tell-take “flash” most labs have under UV lighting.
Do you have any more information about this?

I've
I'm not familiar with this - do you have a link to a site that explains it in detail?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the link!

Apologies for the weird typos in my post - I was on the phone and it was not playing ball... lol

Just to confirm, when you say 'double flash' being usually evident in MMDs but not in Lightbox stones, are you referring to this bit?

Through crossed polarizers, we observed very low birefringence compared with the majority of CVD-grown diamonds examined.

Isn't birefringence the 'tell-tale' on Moissanite and other simulants? I wasn't aware that MMDs exhibited similar properties, whether under natural or UV light, and the article doesn't offer any comparison between simulants, Lightbox and other MMDs, unfortunately, so I'm not sure if it would be obvious 'in real life' if polarisers are required to observe it?

Last edited:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m so excited for this project!

Also as an owner of a pair of LB half carats and more mined diamonds than I’d like to admit, I haven’t seen a single clue they aren’t natural.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh following! I also have a Lightbox engagement ring!

jeffportnoy

Rough_Rock
The jeweler said turning the princess cut would have reduced the stone’s security in the setting. Smaller side stones (or a larger center) would have been required.

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The jeweler said turning the princess cut would have reduced the stone’s security in the setting. Smaller side stones (or a larger center) would have been required.
I think it’s gorgeous.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The spacing is off a touch, but can they fix it without redoing the heads? It looks like a slight difference for in real life viewing. Maybe a mm or so, I would guess? I think it is lovely but I would ask if they have to redo the heads on the ring to fix it and go from there so you can make your choice.

Can you take a straight face on shot? The "gap" may not be visible from the top as much. It really depends on you and the wearer's position on it. It may bug the crap out of some people, others not so much.

dwts

Rough_Rock
Just got it - May need an adjustment as the spacing is a tiny bit off. How’s it look? 87FD9256-C1BD-458A-92C1-ABFDF580C98B.jpeg
0588E327-0267-426D-BFA9-A790244302C9.jpeg 2683D828-750E-4E35-9C17-E952DE685017.jpeg
I think it’s a beautiful ring! I also used Lightbox diamonds as sidestones to add to my solitaire e-ring because I really wanted a three stone, and I’m so glad I did. I think your girlfriend is going to be over the moon when she sees her ring! You did good :)

jeffportnoy

Rough_Rock
The spacing is off a touch, but can they fix it without redoing the heads? It looks like a slight difference for in real life viewing. Maybe a mm or so, I would guess? I think it is lovely but I would ask if they have to redo the heads on the ring to fix it and go from there so you can make your choice.

Can you take a straight face on shot? The "gap" may not be visible from the top as much. It really depends on you and the wearer's position on it. It may bug the crap out of some people, others not so much.
Thanks for catching that! Will take more pics.
Correct - the spacing is off a tad, and that affects the way the ring shines, which is bugging me a bit. I told the jeweler so she is aware it needs to be adjusted. Does this look like a difficult fix?
Going to wait until we know if it has to be re-sized after she tries it on.
Had to be sneaky in my leg work as it’s a surprise, but she mentioned ring size a while back; shopping for/buying a ring together is an implicit “we are engaged” IMO)

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I get what you’re saying about other stones being actually rare, but one of the reasons diamonds are popular with engagement rings is because of it’s hardness and durability. Moissanite can be considered to be more spectacular and is virtually as hard, but marketing wins and people buy diamond, whether natural or man-made. (I couldn’t help but think it’s cute to want “natural” colour in a man-made diamond, btw ... I understand where you’re coming from though).

I love your ring and the thought and effort you put into it! Your fiancé is going to love it!! Congratulations!

jeffportnoy

Rough_Rock
I get what you’re saying about other stones being actually rare, but one of the reasons diamonds are popular with engagement rings is because of it’s hardness and durability. Moissanite can be considered to be more spectacular and is virtually as hard, but marketing wins and people buy diamond, whether natural or man-made. (I couldn’t help but think it’s cute to want “natural” colour in a man-made diamond, btw ... I understand where you’re coming from though).

I love your ring and the thought and effort you put into it! Your fiancé is going to love it!! Congratulations!
Thanks!! Originally looked at the opposite end of the spectrum (that she mentioned she likes) which is those Alexis Russell natural “dirty” diamonds.
I hope she likes it- she said she’d be cool with a lab diamond or “a cheap gemstone”. The only issue with those AR rings to me was the inability to see them in person and she may not like it in 10 years. Plus I didn’t know anything about diamonds but in the making of this ring I’ve learned quite a bit.
With the $ saved on this ring we can buy a Russell design if she wants it as a more casual ring.

jeffportnoy

Rough_Rock
She loves it! Ring is a tad big- went with 8.5 but she is an 8 (luckily I had a clear plastic ring sizer thrown in).
She has wide fingers for her frame ( 5'7" 125lb sz 7.5 shoe).
IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0774.JPG

jeffportnoy

Rough_Rock
Finally done! We were both off on sizing. 8.5 was pretty big- ended up being a 7.0 haha.
Anyways people love the ring and the diamonds’ color is amazing. Never really cared too much about diamonds but man these look cool! Thanks for everyone’s tips and just reading this in general. She had some fun haha.
177422BD-3E48-4496-970B-911B859C66B6.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol @ the thumbs up :lol:

It looks great! Some impressive finger coverage there for a very reasonable budget :))

jeffportnoy

Rough_Rock
lol @ the thumbs up :lol:

It looks great! Some impressive finger coverage there for a very reasonable budget :))
Thanks! It was almost impossible to find photos of a three stone ring consisting of two round cuts surrounding a princess. Fortunately it turned out as good as I envisioned in my imagination. .

Last edited:

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
I really like it! It came out great and looks beautiful on her ha d! Congratulations!

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
It’s beautiful and unique. Congratulations on your engagement and for making such a wise financial choice for your future!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re so awesome for giving her a ring that looks waaaaaay nice but you didn’t spend all your earthly savings on it. Well done and congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results