shape
carat
color
clarity

Light brown antique old euro??

shesastunnah

Rough_Rock
I was looking for a classic white facing old euro but saw some L faint brown antique cushions on instagram that made me fall in love! Found an uncert OP light brown color from Politradingco LA. Can I get thoughts from PSers on this? I can’t decide because I was nevering even considering a colored stone for my forever e-ring and brown hued diamonds seem to generally be unfavored.

Also, would this look good in yellow gold? I know the trend for brownish/champagne stones is set in Rose gold but I’m not really a rose gold kinda girl. I’m completely upside down on what I want for my e-ring now lol. Please help!

3AC5BED1-9609-463C-9912-939D0D507F9D.jpeg 2D75AC51-C4B5-4B83-BFC7-AF4F13E3D77D.jpeg

D8F8BE84-80D4-4BBC-BD9E-C75B683D655F.jpeg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like the color and think it would look great in yellow gold BUT if this is your forever ring and you are unsure, don't do it. Wait until you find something you are confident is the right thing.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That diamond is amazing. I love everything about it.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a stunning stone and I think would look amazing in a pale rose gold even if that's just an edge inside a bezel or prongs with the rest being YG or WG.
What draws you to it? What gives you pause? It needs to make your heart sing to be the right one.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Omg... loving this! It’s AMAZING and if you like yellow gold... do it! If you like RG, go for that. If you like white metals, all good. This is a fabulous stone and you can’t go wrong whatever you choose! Congrats, very exciting!!!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will amazing in yellow bc it’s an amazing stone! That said, only you can know for sure If you are ok with the color for your forever ring.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
It's a beautiful stone and has a gorgeous antique appeal in both colour and cut. If you are unsure, keep looking around but if it's that one stone that makes you happy when you see it, I think it's perfect.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really really like it!

It's a substantial diamond so I'd personally send it to GIA or AGS before agreeing to buy it.
We civilians can't know diamond color and clarity just by looking at a diamond, even with a loupe.
But color and clarity affect the price dramatically as carat weight.

Value depends on the grades, and a grading report from reputable and independent labs (GIA or AGS) makes you as sure as possible about what the grades really are.
Of course not all vendors lie about the grades of ungraded diamonds, but some do.
Sometimes they were lied to by whom they bought the diamond from.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
While a grading report is never a bad idea to document what you have a few grades in color and clarity is going to make very little difference in the value if there are no eye visible inclusions in this range.

It will be fine in yellow gold.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is very beautiful and obviously fits the color of gold very, very, very well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning diamond ❤️❤️❤️
I think it would look amazing in a rich buttery gold!

I would want it certed (GIA) if buying it. Only way to know if price is fair.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really pretty and "Yes" to yellow gold!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's stunning--and another vote for a gold setting--I think it would look great! What a find!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
An absolute knockout. I’d like to see it under UV light just for fun but from the pics you already posted, it looks Gorgeous!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your diamond is cut so well that the color is secondary to me, yet it is also exceptionally beautiful and looks great on your hand. It is a GORGEOUS perfect cut. You’ve found an incredible cushiony OEC that, to me, resembles EC8’s divine diamond:

It’s got a high crown and a beautiful, satisfying, three dimensionality. The color of the metal in the first photos you provide seems like the perfect color with that stone. But I think you can’t go wrong with ANY setting. My advice to you is to put this stone in a cheap setting of the metal you like, until you figure out what you want permanently.

This is a stone I wouldn’t walk away from if you love it.

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is cut so well that the color is secondary to me, yet it is also exceptionally beautiful and looks great on your hand. It is a GORGEOUS perfect cut. You’ve found an incredible cushiony OEC that, to me, resembles EC8’s divine diamond:

It’s got a high crown and a beautiful, satisfying, three dimensionality. The color of the metal in the first photos you provide seems like the perfect color with that stone. But I think you can’t go wrong with ANY setting. My advice to you is to put this stone in a cheap setting of the metal you like, until you figure out what you want permanently.

This is a stone I wouldn’t walk away from if you love it.

What she said!

shesastunnah

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your encouragement and advice - I have placed a deposit on this beauty and a GIA report is forthcoming!

@foxinsox I've seen quite a few old euros lately (see my many other threads lol) and honestly none of the others made my heart race like this one did. My one and only reservation, and it's a superficial one, is that I was thinking the brown hue is not very popular and that other people (not me) would not find it as wonderful as I do. Obviously it should only matter what I think.

@LightBright I had the same feeling as you about the cut and crown when I first saw it and I immediately went to visit it the next day! And EC8’s diamond...I mean WOW!

I will post the GIA deets when it’s available; I’m super excited and would love to see if anyone has any setting ideas for this thang!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really beautiful cut. It would look great in rose gold or yellow gold!!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your encouragement and advice - I have placed a deposit on this beauty and a GIA report is forthcoming!

@foxinsox I've seen quite a few old euros lately (see my many other threads lol) and honestly none of the others made my heart race like this one did. My one and only reservation, and it's a superficial one, is that I was thinking the brown hue is not very popular and that other people (not me) would not find it as wonderful as I do. Obviously it should only matter what I think.

@LightBright I had the same feeling as you about the cut and crown when I first saw it and I immediately went to visit it the next day! And EC8’s diamond...I mean WOW!

I will post the GIA deets when it’s available; I’m super excited and would love to see if anyone has any setting ideas for this thang!
I think if you love it, you love it and what others think is much less important. I can get that other people's comments could be a concern if you think they'l be critical cos that cantake the shine off a bit. I suspect any comments would be motivated by jealousy over how big and bright it is and just looking for anything to pick at.
A light brown OEC is a total holy grail stone for me so I am totally jealous and can't wait to see how you set it. What are the stats? I think you said uncerted OP but it looks huge so I am super keen to know how big it is.

shesastunnah

Rough_Rock
I think if you love it, you love it and what others think is much less important. I can get that other people's comments could be a concern if you think they'l be critical cos that cantake the shine off a bit. I suspect any comments would be motivated by jealousy over how big and bright it is and just looking for anything to pick at.
A light brown OEC is a total holy grail stone for me so I am totally jealous and can't wait to see how you set it. What are the stats? I think you said uncerted OP but it looks huge so I am super keen to know how big it is.

I may have to print out this thread and pin it on my wall for daily affirmation lol. It measures 10.17x10.22mm :bigsmile:.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought it was huge and gorgeous! Officially green jelly way over here in NZ where our dollar is sufficiently weak, it'll be a long time before I can afford a 10mm OEC! I will live vicariously through you.
I would still consider a rose gold basket or elements to play up that light brown colour even tho I know you're not a big fan of RG.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm ALL over that diamond! Brown modifiers are my favorite and I have a 1.3 U-V that performs very similar to yours, colorwise. Darker, more saturated indoors and lighter outdoors. Pure brown OECs are not easy to find, especially well cut and in that size!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a stunning diamond, I’m really loving the brown undertone. As you’ve been told, love it for yourself and not what others will think. Color is a personal thing, nothing wrong with loving lower colors whether yellow or brown.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

[/QUOTE]

I don’t think you should take this concern lightly. I don’t think you should dismiss it as superficial. there are way too many diamonds out there for you to compromise on color. When you find the one for you, you won’t have to convince yourself that your reservations are superficial.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought it was huge and gorgeous! Officially green jelly way over here in NZ where our dollar is sufficiently weak, it'll be a long time before I can afford a 10mm OEC! I will live vicariously through you.
I would still consider a rose gold basket or elements to play up that light brown colour even tho I know you're not a big fan of RG.

Agree with every word you say

shesastunnah

Rough_Rock
I don’t think you should take this concern lightly. I don’t think you should dismiss it as superficial. there are way too many diamonds out there for you to compromise on color. When you find the one for you, you won’t have to convince yourself that your reservations are superficial.

For sure, it's not what I had initially envisioned but then again, I didn't even know what an old euro cut was then! I've pretty much decided on the setting I'd like for this one and now that I can picture the whole thing come together, I'm absolutely giddy; it's gonna be something special :D

shesastunnah

Rough_Rock
GIA deets:

Shape: CIRC
Shape desc: Circular Brilliant
Dimensions: 10.36 x 10.08 x 6.58
Weight: 4.39
Color: S-T light brown
Clarity: SI1
Polish: G
Sym: F
Flour: med blue