shape
carat
color
clarity

LGD grower implodes

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Growing fresh water pearls is a shocking misuse of water!

If done correctly, pearl farming(aquaculture) results in cleaner water, reduces carbon and stops erosion.
There is no environmental benefit to diamond mining. Water waste/contamination of surrounding water table, soil erosion, deforestation, hydrocarbons, greenhouse gases...etc. Entire ecosystems. Terrible impact.
It's not even in the same sphere.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If done correctly, pearl farming(aquaculture) results in cleaner water, reduces carbon and stops erosion.
There is no environmental benefit to diamond mining. Water waste/contamination of surrounding water table, soil erosion, deforestation, hydrocarbons, greenhouse gases...etc. Entire ecosystems. Terrible impact.

^^ This…

And… No one can claim the lab diamond growth process is (provably, sustainably) environmentally friendly… Yet…

Last edited:

pammbw

Rough_Rock
My point in bringing up the freshwater pearls is, there was the same type of “gold rush” type of business in China in the 90s with many pearl farms springing up and tons of low quality product flooding the market. Now only quality producers remain in China, technology and quality have leaped light years ahead of where they were then, and environmental concerns are being addressed. The cultured freshwater pearl business has come a long way. Pearl people love cultured and natural, salt and fresh. There is room for all in my jewelry box

I see similarities with the lab diamond business. Many many growers starting up, and the industry weeding out the extras as time goes by. Technology and quality improving. Dismissing lab diamonds as costume jewelry leads me to believe that one only likes diamonds because they are expensive and exclusive, not the many other practical reasons such as durability, sparkle, hardness etc that made diamonds the gemstone of choice for most jewelry and lab stones provide at an affordable price.

pammbw

Rough_Rock

Excellent points. I can see a very real possibility of a future with diamond mining being severely restricted- just as coral dredging has been, and ivory completely illegal past present and future. Natural diamonds will be the exception rather than the rule.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Excellent points. I can see a very real possibility of a future with diamond mining being severely restricted- just as coral dredging has been, and ivory completely illegal past present and future. Natural diamonds will be the exception rather than the rule.
I believe all the worlds diamond pipe mines, current and historic, would fit inside the size of the coal mines that power the HPHT presses and the CVD reactors in India, China and Malaysia.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I believe all the worlds diamond pipe mines, current and historic, would fit inside the size of the coal mines that power the HPHT presses and the CVD reactors in India, China and Malaysia.

And all the rare-earth mineral mines and refineries for lithium, nickel, cobalt, manganese, graphite, cadmium, gallium, germanium, indium, selenium, and tellurium needed for lithium-ion batteries and solar panels used all over the planet.
And the sheer amount of waste storage space that they require after they life-cycle out.
Diamond mining land usage? That's small potatoes compared to the raw materials and manufacturing required by the energy sector, to your point. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results