shape
carat
color
clarity

LGD Dark or EGD Light?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I was hoping to grab @Karl_K for your feedback!

The stone in the setting is my EGD, here is its report: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1172593651
The loose stone is a LGD, here is its report: https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=LG571394559

There is no question that the LGD is out performing my EGD... the question I have is, why does my EGD look so much whiter under spot light?

My phone is red so you do see a lot of that reflection, but even taking away that component, you can clearly see a darker shade in comparison. Which stone is performing normally?

To my eye I feel tricked because I'm used to seeing the whiteness of my current stone. The photo below is my EGD's ASET, so initially when I thought it was due to poorer light return, that would make less sense as it would reflect darker?

I'm confused lol.

(not sure why the quality is so poor in the videos, I hope you are able to see what I'm referring to anyway. Click the arrow on the video to see the next one, there are 4 total)

aset.jpeg

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I was hoping to grab @Karl_K for your feedback!

The stone in the setting is my EGD, here is its report: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1172593651
The loose stone is a LGD, here is its report: https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=LG571394559

There is no question that the LGD is out performing my EGD... the question I have is, why does my EGD look so much whiter under spot light?

My phone is red so you do see a lot of that reflection, but even taking away that component, you can clearly see a darker shade in comparison. Which stone is performing normally?

To my eye I feel tricked because I'm used to seeing the whiteness of my current stone. The photo below is my EGD's ASET, so initially when I thought it was due to poorer light return, that would make less sense as it would reflect darker?

I'm confused lol.

(not sure why the quality is so poor in the videos, I hope you are able to see what I'm referring to anyway. Click the arrow on the video to see the next one, there are 4 total)

aset.jpeg

I wonder, when I think about it a bit more, is the larger stone picking up more color in its surrounding? I did have a blue sweater on, I can take more videos tomorrow to be sure.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Based on the video and the ASET + reports neither is badly cut but they do have different personalities which is explained by the numbers.
The biggest thing in the videos is the diamonds are never pointing at the same place.
For example the first one for the much of the video the larger one is reflecting red from the phone while the other is mostly pointed over your head or towards the ceiling.
RB Diamonds directional and that the tables face the same way and angle relative to each other is important for comparison.

Different combos and different sizes, that your seeing differences in them is to be expected.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the video and the ASET + reports neither is badly cut but they do have different personalities which is explained by the numbers.
The biggest thing in the videos is the diamonds are never pointing at the same place.
For example the first one for the much of the video the larger one is reflecting red from the phone while the other is mostly pointed over your head or towards the ceiling.
RB Diamonds directional and that the tables face the same way and angle relative to each other is important for comparison.

Different combos and different sizes, that your seeing differences in them is to be expected.

Thank you! I will take some better ones tomorrow, it’s hard to get them exactly the same of course as the ring is stable on my finger. I do have this one from earlier, not sure if this is much better. I do see a distinct color variance, not sure how I feel about it .

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K

I tried to get them to face the same direction, this was the best I could get it.

Do you consider this a normal level of 'darkness' in the larger stone. I've never had the chance to compare two stones like this, so I'm not sure if this is what I should expect/want to see.

In the other lighting conditions they are relatively the same.

Thank you!

(there is a second video, if you click the arrow)

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Does the lab diamond show blue/grey tint from the side in person?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like theres a grey tint to your LGD. It's much darker than I would expect vs the EGD--especuslly given the high color. Can you get some pics of it by itself ?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
New video nails it(2nd one).
Its perfectly normal for a diamond body to go dark in intense spot lighting and the light show is around it.
You can tell the larger diamond is throwing sparks all over the place but the body is dark.
This is more apparent mainly because of the size but the smaller one will do it too at some point.
Garry has a great video on it on here, maybe someone can link it?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its perfectly normal for a diamond body to go dark in intense spot lighting and the light show is around it.
You can tell the larger diamond is throwing sparks all over the place but the body is dark.
This is more apparent mainly because of the size but the smaller one will do it too at some point.

So informative. I love when an expert like you replies to a thread. :)

breanne

Brilliant_Rock

Thank youu so much!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Karl. The new video really helps. It's not grey/blue, but rather it's the nice cut that is making it throw fire/light but the body itself look dark. The size also plays a role.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I feel like theres a grey tint to your LGD. It's much darker than I would expect vs the EGD--especuslly given the high color. Can you get some pics of it by itself ?

Here is the vendor video for this fire breathing dragon:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
To Karl_K's point: here is a great article by Garry showing a variety of cut shapes in direct sunlight and then in shade. The ideal cut RBC looks the darkest of them in intense direct lighting but the brightest amongst them in indirect lighting.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here's a video by JannPaul showing some RBC diamonds under intense direct lighting...they go outer space dark, as well:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
It probably doesn’t matter anymore, but you could have taken the case off of your phone to take the videos. That way it wouldn’t reflect red.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
It probably doesn’t matter anymore, but you could have taken the case off of your phone to take the videos. That way it wouldn’t reflect red.

I don't have a case on my phone lol, that is my phone color.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I have many other better shots, but I'm waiting until the other 2 come in to do a comparison to upload. I just had to share this one viewing from the side, its ridiculous, although the quality doesn't seem to upload properly.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I have many other better shots, but I'm waiting until the other 2 come in to do a comparison to upload. I just had to share this one viewing from the side, its ridiculous, although the quality doesn't seem to upload properly.

Good gravy...all that bold fire!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a case on my phone lol, that is my phone color.

I use a piece of thick white paper, cut a hole out for the camera lens opening, and tape it on the back of my phone.
Else I get a lovely blue reflection (which is pretty) but not a true depiction of my stone color.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I use a piece of thick white paper, cut a hole out for the camera lens opening, and tape it on the back of my phone.
Else I get a lovely blue reflection (which is pretty) but not a true depiction of my stone color.

I may do that actually! I tried with the paper but the part around my lens still reflected red, so an actual cut out probably would work better.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Red is better than a black phone, it stands out and makes it easy to detect the effect its having on the diamond.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Red is better than a black phone, it stands out and makes it easy to detect the effect its having on the diamond.

It's actually quite cool, I can get it so all the arrow/heads are red.

I tried the makeshift ASET, here are a couple. I could not figure out how to line it up properly. Had I known the stones would take so long to arrive, I would've ordered the actual ASET, c'est la vie.

Two videos

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
want to see the hearts? put it table down then set a tp tube over it and center it in tube and center the camera over it and take a pic.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
want to see the hearts? put it table down then set a tp tube over it and center it in tube and center the camera over it and take a pic.

BRB lol

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results