shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's try this: 1000-1200 dollar budget for loose diamond

hayzing

Rough_Rock
A lot of you know that I'm looking for a nice diamond to go in the center of the Tacori ring I got.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-yeah-i-just-need-help.218062/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-yeah-i-just-need-help.218062/[/URL]

Fits 5mm-5.6 mm. Round.

I want something pretty, colorless or near colorless, with no visible inclusions. Something that fits, and hopefully something with sparkle and fire (or so I've been told haha)

I'm open to pretty much anything as long as it's pretty (including OEC, which I've said several times)

I'm going back and looking at several of the diamonds people suggested to me once upon a time, but a lot of them are sold out. So if you guys can help me, I'd be forever grateful. If you have anything in mind LESS than the budget, feel free to put that up as well because 1200 really is the top end.

I'm putting this board up, so I can clear my head for a minute, and see if you guys can suggest something, before I go crazy.
I found some stuff on B2C, but they had fluorescence -- and I honestly have no idea what that means, so if you guys can explain that as well...I'd be super grateful.

Thanks everyone, for all of your continued help. This is seriously a huge group effort by now. I'll let everyone see the final product, as well as proposal pics after it all happens. I'm so grateful to have found so many helpful people.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Re: Let's try this: 1000-1200 dollar budget for loose diamon

Did you read my response on your last thread?

Incidentally, I think you would be best scrapping your most recent two threads (this and the last) and continuing to post on your initial thread, which had a lot of interest and helpful posters following your story

I would also second my own advice to take a 24 hour pause from the whole thing, don't even think about diamonds or rings and go do something to take your mind off it, and when you are done, if you want a MRB, to consider BN sig ideals as they are more or less failsafe (but run numbers through the HCA & let us review your picks) for a relatively small premium. The cutting ('hearts and arrows') and light performance can be inspected on the GCAL certificate that comes with the stone, click on GCAL link (next to GIA cert link on BN)

Also there are referral discounts on BN

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-my-buddy-find-an-antique-style-ring-for-1000-1500.218218/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-my-buddy-find-an-antique-style-ring-for-1000-1500.218218/page-2[/URL]

hayzing

Rough_Rock

Thanks! I'll do that. I may really need to pull back for a minute. I'm just really bummed out, because at this rate, I'm not sure everything is going to be completed by the beginning of May when I wanted to propose. I still have a lot of proposal-esque things to plan, and it's all starting to stress out. I may take the weekend and come back, refreshed, at the beginning of the week.

And I was looking at Blue Nile. So hopefully that can do something for me. I also read that there's a referral credit for 100 dollars off?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The thread you posted is kind of long. Can you just show me a link to the setting you bought

hayzing

Rough_Rock

Here are some pics:
12395289_1169537163074276_264867350_n.jpg

And then of the actual ring:

12400266_10205589330389399_135343420_o.jpg

12398590_10205589329789384_1481465100_o.jpg

It's the smallest version of this:

http://www.tacori.com/39-2cu65

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

oh ok! thatlly be beautiful. what was the size stone that was in it, originally. I know you gave me parameters, but id like to get as close as possible

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

OP, sorry this has become frustrating for you. I know it can be so overwhelming to find the perfect stone when it seems like there are a million options out there. I LOVE the stones that Niel posted. I am betting you will be thrilled with either one. Both are incredibly well cut, so it's just a matter of what you would prefer for color. I would contact James Allen (they do live chat) and have them put those on hold and find out if they are eye clean. James Allen also has an amazing return policy that I have personally utilized in the past. They are a good bet.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hayzing|1452879467|3976427 said:
Thanks! I'll do that. I may really need to pull back for a minute. I'm just really bummed out, because at this rate, I'm not sure everything is going to be completed by the beginning of May when I wanted to propose. I still have a lot of proposal-esque things to plan, and it's all starting to stress out. I may take the weekend and come back, refreshed, at the beginning of the week.

And I was looking at Blue Nile. So hopefully that can do something for me. I also read that there's a referral credit for 100 dollars off?

dont get stressed out, may is a long ways away. if you bought one of those james allen stones today youd have it before the end of next week. Setting it takes maybe 2-4 weeks depending on the jeweler. youve got lots of time, try not to stess :wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

www.bluenile.com

Search in top right corner this diamond stock number - LD06580663

.61ct J VS2 5.4 - 5.44mm. 1.6 on the HCA. Nice stats. $1178.53 after wire price and referral discount.

Or this - LD06351972

.55 I SI1 5.24 - 5.27. 1.7 on the HCA. Nice stats. $1175.58 after wire price and referral discount.

My choice would probably be the .61ct stone.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

Hi there,

Take a deep breath, you are way ahead of schedule and do not need to worry at all!

Just my 2 cents here - I bought a 0.48 5mm I VS2 diamond from Blue Nile before and it looks plenty white, even when I put it against my mum's E colored diamond I can't really tell the difference. In a diamond that size and with a halo, I think a well cut I & J would still be excellent and would help you stay within budget.

I've had a look around and with the preferred vendors, and can't seem to find anything that doesn't stretch your budget a little bit so I would go with Blue Nile in your case. I also bought the diamond mentioned above sight unseen 2 years ago going by the certificate and the HCA score, I think it turned out great and you can use a post it note to see the arrows as I did in the picture below [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/homemade-hearts-arrows-viewer.177008/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/homemade-hearts-arrows-viewer.177008/[/URL]
Also, the return policy is great, so if it doesn't meet your needs just return it.

I would recommend the following stone: LD04439786
It is a J VS2 and has a HCA score of 1.1
Measurements 5.00 x 5.04 x 3.11 mm
table: 55%
depth: 62%
crown angle: 34
pavilion angle: 40.8
The great thing is it comes to $907 if you pay by wire after the $100 refer a friend discount - http://www.bluenile.com/au/inside-blue-nile/refer-a-friend
This leaves you more than enough to pay for the resizing and setting of the stone.

Or this one is also nice: LD06568444
An I VS1 stone HCA score of 1.6
Measurements 5.02 x 5.05 x 3.08 mm
table: 57%
depth: 61.1%
crown angle: 35
pavilion angle: 40.8
Around $940 after $50 discount.

You consider this one if it's eye clean: LD06568444
It is an I SI2 5.2mm stone with medium blue fluorescence, you would have to confirm with them if it is eye clean and about the impact of the fluorescence.

PS: the setting is GORGEOUS!

20160115164109.jpg

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade

hayzing|1452875244|3976384 said:
...but they had fluorescence -- and I honestly have no idea what that means, so if you guys can explain that as well...I'd be super grateful.

Hey mate...the search continues :)
When exposed to invisible ultraviolet (UV) radiation (like you would find in a night club), sub microscopic structures will cause some diamonds to emit visible light which is called fluorescence. In most cases, fluorescence is caused by the presence of nitrogen as a trace element in the diamonds crystal lattice structure...blah...blah...blahhhh... :roll:
Basically, fluorescence is not necessarily a positive or a negative. Fluorescence does not affect the grade of the diamond, and is not included among any of the 4Cs. Instead, it is mentioned as an identifying characteristic, rather than a grading component, on diamond certificates provided by grading laboratories.
While there are some rules-of-thumb when assessing fluorescence, it simply depends on the individual stone. A diamond where the fluorescence makes the diamond look 'milky', 'oily' or 'cloudy' is definitely a negative (usually only found in strong/very strong...but even then only a very small percentage). Chances are that the fluoro in any stone you're looking at is fine – you might just want to get the vendor to confirm this.
Also, because of normal discounting, fluorescence might also be an excellent way to get a beautiful diamond that might normally be a little bit out of your price range without it. So if you find a stone with strong or very strong fluoro and there is no effect outside of direct UV, you might want to consider it as your cost price can come way down.
Many people happily own diamonds for their entire lifetimes without ever being aware of the presence or absence of fluorescence in their stones.
Hope this helps

hayzing

Rough_Rock

Thank you guys so much!

I just wanted to let you guys know, I did put one of the James Allen diamonds on hold. It was the Ideal cut, Si1, I color diamond. And I contacted with questions on a few of the other diamonds you all suggested (actually contacted about at least one of the diamonds everyone suggested, actually lol)

I really appreciate all the help. And thank you ADN for the information. That does help quite a bit!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The one you linked is really nice except I don't like the big black inclusion over the girdle. Not sure if it's a giant feather or what, but I'd avoid it especially since the one you put on hold is nice.

Scores less than 2 on the HCA aren't better or worse from each other. In other words, if both stones are under 2 on the HCA, neither is better than the other.

hayzing

Rough_Rock

JDDN|1452926396|3976696 said:
The one you linked is really nice except I don't like the big black inclusion over the girdle. Not sure if it's a giant feather or what, but I'd avoid it especially since the one you put on hold is nice.

Scores less than 2 on the HCA aren't better or worse from each other. In other words, if both stones are under 2 on the HCA, neither is better than the other.

Oh, yeah... I did actually read that. LOL, is it bad that I didn't even see that big black inclusion? I saw the feather in the other one, but not the inclusion in that one. Wow.... I'm blind, because now it sticks out like a sore thumb. I put them both on hold until I figured out what you guys thought about it. Didn't want to miss out on it, just in case.

I'm waiting to hear back about some of the others.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's why it's good to have another set of eyes helping you out ::) . It's smart to put a stone in question on hold, so you did the right thing.

Looks like you have some really nice options. Looking forward to seeing the others and what you choose!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hayzing|1452924799|3976694 said:
Also, what about this one?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.53-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-550376

This one is similar to the one Neil posted. I'm not sure what I'm looking for. But it did better (I think???) on the HCA tool than the one I placed on hold, and it's close in price to it as well.

Yes I saw this one, but as mentioned, its got that black spot so I opted not to suggest it.
I know that other I has a feather but at the size your buying, I don't think it'll be noticeable, but confirm that with ja. I'm a big fan of that one, but you've got lots of nice options, can't wait to see the finished product. Glad you've got yourself on the right track, try not to worry, I think your proposal seems right on tract to me

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I finally went to read your other thread. As one who looooves a budget, I think you're doing splendid! You had a lot of options thrown at you and you managed to keep your head and get exactly what she wants.

Did you manage to get it sized to the right size? I ask only because I don't think anyone mentioned, but you can also use a sizing bar or sizing beads. That's essentially putting metal in the band to size it rather than actually reducing the size. Just another option if it turns out theyre having trouble sizing it.

hayzing

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much Niel. They did confirm it was eye clean. Yay! And I haven't had it sized yet but I will keep that in mind if there seems to be a problem getting it sized.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

hayzing|1452958614|3976776 said:
Thank you so much Niel. They did confirm it was eye clean. Yay! And I haven't had it sized yet but I will keep that in mind if there seems to be a problem getting it sized.

That's great news! Glad you put it on hold. That stone is beautiful and I'm sure it will look bright and white. Can't wait to see what you decide!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

If you are happy with the price, the one you have on hold will be a guaranteed stunner! :appl:

hayzing

Rough_Rock

Lol when I turned down the jewelry store close to me on an overpriced stone, they told me there was no way that they could get a stone in my requests for under 2000 dollars. I said that I felt bad but I really did need to find that in my budget and told them about the James Allen diamond. They sent these documents saying they were "good contenders" and they would "match" the price. img_0009.jpg

I don't know much, but I don't feel like these specs are as good...?? Especially considering the ideal cut on the James Allen diamond

Plus Tacori told me 5-5.6mm ...one was smaller than that...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I haven't even bothered to lookupthe crown and pavilion angles but I wouldn't want a vg graded stone under half ct with only good symmetry

Plus the second one is a modified round meaning not a traditional round brilliant. Probably has more facets.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

How did you go? Did you end up buying the one Niel suggested? :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results