shape
carat
color
clarity

Let''s talk about flat irons (for your hair), please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I am having a crisis! I need a new flat iron. I use it every day, and my current one (a Chi) is gasping for its least breaths.

Before the Chi, I had two Paul Mitchell ones... LOVED them, but neither one lasted much beyond a year.

Before that I had several drugstore ones... eh, none really worked too well for me. And oh, in there somewhere was an OZON, it came defective so I returned it and never tried that brand again.

I NEED it to go up to 450 degrees. I''d like an easy to use warranty in case I needed it, at least a year - more would be gravy. Other than that, no critical criteria. I''d love one with an automatic 30-minute (or so) shut-off. I guess ceramic plates are "the best", no? Or titanium? And all that negative ion stuff, not sure about that... do I need it?

I don''t mind PAYING for this flat iron, if I am getting a quality product that will do the job. I''ve been researching them, and I dunno... so many brands, and all claiming to be THE BEST.

One place I never tried was Sally Beauty... they have some that go to 450 degrees and are under $40. Are theirs better than the drugstore brands? Or not really?

PLEASE ADVISE! I know my fellow PS''ers can get me through this CRISIS!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

THANK YOU!
Lynn

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Do you need 450 degrees because your hair is thick, or because it''s stubborn?

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I have extremely coarse, stubborn hair and for years I used a flat iron. I was getting so tired of blowdrying, then straightening...it would just take forever! So I started researching blow dryers and tried the T3 Evolution Hair Dryer with a straightening brush and haven''t had to flat iron ever since. It is pricey-$200 from folica.com, but totally worth it. The hair dryer has a really hot setting (I forget what degree)and it basically dries and straightens at the same time. I know this doesn''t answer your question, but I thought it may be an option for you.
9.gif

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
I''d get another CHI.
I''ve had mine for 5 years, and it''s still going strong. I have also owned a CHI Turbo, and it didn''t get as hot as the original CHI, so I returned it.
I have very thick, coarse, wavy hair, and the only flatiron that can make it look sleek and shiny is the original CHI.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
LOVE LOVE LOVE the GHD - I got mine about this time last year and have never looked back. One pass over my thick-but-fine hair and it looks perfect and stays that way all day. I looked through the reviews everywhere before getting it and it seems like pretty much everyone who gets it loves it.

PennQuaker and DiamondFan recommended it to me originally and I''m so glad I took their recommendation - my hair can be super tough to style, but this is my one go-to option whenever I need to look polished.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Sedu Revolution

I''m surprised the Paul Mitchell irons didnt last longer, though.

niccia

Shiny_Rock
Sedu...hands down.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use a Sedu, and I adored it at first, but Im starting to feel like it doesn''t work as well as it used to. I have had it about 2 years.

labellavita81

Shiny_Rock
There is NOTHING better then a GHD. Go out and get one... you will never look back.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Hey, thanks everyone! Keep those reviews coming, please!!!

To answer MP''s question, my hair''s not exceptionally *thick* (but it isn''t really *thin* either) -- it''s just DANG STUBBORN!!!
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif
400 degrees DOES NOT work nearly as well.

Do all of the ones you guys have recommended go to 450 degrees? Do ANY of them have an auto-shut-off feature?

Thanks again!!!

Lynn

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Lynn, I''m not sure about the exact temp of the GHD, but I think one of the reasons it is supposed to work so much better than many others, it gets super hot. My hair is stubborn too, and this thing is AMAZING on it. They sell them at Sephora, and you''d probably be able to try one out there, plus its fully returnable, even if you buy it and use it and then still don''t like it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve used the Chi for the last 3 years and I love it. Before that I used a Hot Tools flat iron which was like $40 and it lasted me for like 4 years and was fine as well. I found the Chi online for like $70 at the time so it was a very good deal....

Today I don''t know what I''d get. I am lazy and hate doing research so prob another Chi. But my stylist''s Chi seems to work much better than mine, mine might be getting old.

I should note that I have naturally curly hair that I straighten chemically intermittently, and my hair can be very stubborn so I need a very hot iron.

What is GHD?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love GHD''s too. They get superhot so watch your ears. I have actually burnt my ears with my hot hair before. Lovely blisters
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Mara - I don''t know if GHD is a new brand or not, but when I started looking for a flat iron last year, it kept popping up everywhere with rave reviews. I considered a Chi and a Sedu as well, but it seemed like a significant % of people had had issues with durability etc...when I looked at reviews on MakeupAlley and so forth. I really can''t describe how thrilled I''ve been with mine - works like a charm every time
1.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
GHD''s without doubt. I''ve had mine for 5 years now. Flat irons don''t come better than this.

Gailey GHD.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 7:08:30 PM
Author: Gailey
GHD''s without doubt. I''ve had mine for 5 years now. Flat irons don''t come better than this.

Gailey - that''s the same one I have. I LOVE it
30.gif
30.gif
Isn''t it amazing?!
36.gif
9.gif

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Infra Shine!!!! Best flat iron. Goes up to 400ish degrees. I have crazy curly hair and it works wonderfully.
The best combo for me is to blow dry my hair straight with my Bespoke Labs Evolution Tourmaline dryer. It works sooo well. Then, I touch up with the flat iron over the next few days. I have tried so many dryers and flat irons, and so many of them were not strong enough for me.

Best!! Hair Dryer

Best!! Flat Iron

(it''s the normal 1 inch one)

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK, I''m looking into the ghd ones, and I''m confused.

This link says that the ghd irons have adjustable temps to 450, but when I click on the different styles pictured, they all say "fixed temperature of 370 degrees"!!!

Google Search for ghd irons

Anyone know what''s the deal?

THANKS!

Lynn

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I would SOOOO get the ghd if they went to 450 degrees. But they don''t even go to 375!!! I just don''t think that would do it with my difficult hair!

Anyone ever heard of BaByliss? Goes to 450 degrees...
BaByliss

I was looking at the Sedu''s... but they only go up to 410 degrees. I really feel like I NEED 450 degrees... I always had to run my Paul Mitchell ones at that max temp.

DANG IT, I really need to find one pretty quick.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 7:43:31 PM
Author: Lynn B
I would SOOOO get the ghd if they went to 450 degrees. But they don't even go to 375!!! I just don't think that would do it with my difficult hair!

Anyone ever heard of BaByliss? Goes to 450 degrees...
BaByliss

I was looking at the Sedu's... but they only go up to 410 degrees. I really feel like I NEED 450 degrees... I always had to run my Paul Mitchell ones at that max temp.

DANG IT, I really need to find one pretty quick.

Sedu Revolution heats to 450 http://www.sedubeauty.com/sedu_revolution_flat_iron.html

Also since you asked about Sally's they have a lot of digital irons that heat to 450. As long as the plates are smooth & they are beveled edge, I'd give them a shot for the price(s).

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
I have an original Chi, and it''s been going strong for the past 6 years or so! So I''ve been pretty pleased with it. I''m fairly careful with the cord though, as I read so many reports about durability problems after I initially purchased it.

The Sedu has been so highly lauded~ I think I would try that one when my Chi goes kaput.

Out of curiousity Lynn, how long did your Chi last?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I am pretty picky when it comes to flat irons...and there are a lot out there. Over the years I have experimented with TIGI, Helen of Troy, Hot Tools, Paul Mitchell, and more. My all time favorite (which is in line with the rest of my tool preferences) is CHI.

I prefer CHI because the quality is beyond compare. In the industry, CHI is the creme de la creme. Farouk, in general, is a strong brand...they usually put great warranties behind their products which give peace of mind when spending $100.00 on a hot tool.

Of course everyone is going to have differing opinions based on their experiences, and what they own...but as someone who has played with many of the options out there, and has access to education on each brand...if I were in the market for a new flat iron, I would buy a CHI no questions asked.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Used a chi for 5 years and got tired of the failure rate- had to replace at least once a year. Now that they have gone away from the lifetime warranty I bought a Sedu with a 2 year warranty from Folica.com

I will never look back, the sedu is fantastic and it doesn''t tug my hair like the Chi did.

Good Luck!
9.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Lynn,

My Chi died Saturday a week ago after 5 years. I just got the babyliss and I love it! Has adjustable heat settings and heats up fast. Two friends have it and swear by it and our hairdresser recommended it to them. I have been using it since Wed and LOVE it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DTVHSG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lynn, I have had my GHD's for years now and never had any trouble with them, I have the large size with the bigger plates. I have been extremely pleased with them. My hair is thick and stubborn and they do well.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone... I appreciate all the feedback and the advice!
I ended up buying a Sedu Revolution; it''s ordered but hasn''t arrived yet.
I really WANTED to try the GHD, but there''s no Sephora near me, and so I would have had to mail-order it, and pay all the shipping costs both ways if I had to return it... and the lower, non-adjustable temp just made me a little hesitant.
Then I wavered between the Sedu and the Babyliss... and it was tough... but I could only buy one, so I ended up with the Sedu.
Apparently I am a bit of a flat iron SNOB
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
so I will definitely let you know how I like it!
Thanks again!!!

Lynn

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I have the Babyliss..looking to buy a new iron. Today, my hairdresser told me to buy the GAMA..best one out there that she knows of she said. You don''t have to worry about the temperature, it self-adjusts according to the individual''s hair type. COOL!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 3T one for 3 years now, and still work like the first day =)

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 6:46:21 PM
Author: Lynn B
Thanks everyone... I appreciate all the feedback and the advice!

I ended up buying a Sedu Revolution; it''s ordered but hasn''t arrived yet.

I really WANTED to try the GHD, but there''s no Sephora near me, and so I would have had to mail-order it, and pay all the shipping costs both ways if I had to return it... and the lower, non-adjustable temp just made me a little hesitant.

Then I wavered between the Sedu and the Babyliss... and it was tough... but I could only buy one, so I ended up with the Sedu.

Apparently I am a bit of a flat iron SNOB
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
so I will definitely let you know how I like it!

Thanks again!!!

Lynn

I''ve heard good things about the Sedu Lynn - fingers crossed!!

niccia

Shiny_Rock
Lynn, please post a review when you get it! I am sure you will love it...don't be scared by how light it feels when you get it either. At first I was a little shocked, but it makes it so much easier to use.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results