shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk about CS projects in progress

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
something dark and mysterious this way comes

7D9BCBC5-074C-4471-8446-03DF8A8BE89F.jpeg F1CE0D76-4303-4388-B813-6606D958784F.gif

Looks incredible, a great setting choice for that stone. Can't wait til you get it in your hot little hands!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
s-l400 (1).jpg
IMG_20200731_132817.jpg

Bought this ring from ebay for the setting for a steal....diamonds with 18k (my jeweler says). Going to replace the windowed blue stone it came with with the attached blue sapphire and resized from current size 6 to a 4. My jeweler is currently so busy with a 2 week wait!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bought is blue-green Tourmaline after being inspired by Jeff W's video of his pile of Tourmaline roughs on his FB page.

It was not featured in the video, apparently it is an old Afghan stock.

The lighter end is quite included and will be cut off. The other cleaner end should cut into a longish EC in the region of 2.3 to 3.4ct/13-14 x 6-6.5 mm, with no discernible zoning.

JW_Blue_Green_Tourmaline_Rough.JPG

Here are my idea for this stone, in a similar setting as my cheapo EC Aqua from Jeff D, and have baguettes instead of paved diamonds in the side steps, probably just 2 steps, depending on finger coverage as I would be wearing it on my left hand ring finger.

DK :))

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bought is blue-green Tourmaline after being inspired by Jeff W's video of his pile of Tourmaline roughs on his FB page.

The lighter end is quite included and will be cut off. The other cleaner end should cut into a longish EC in the region of 2.3 to 3.4ct/13-14 x 6-6.5 mm, with no discernible zoning.

Here are my idea for this stone, in a similar setting as my cheapo EC Aqua from Jeff D, and have baguettes instead of paved diamonds in the side steps, probably just 2 steps, depending on finger coverage as I would be wearing it on my left hand ring finger.

jdaquaring_04.jpg

This sounds wonderful!
:love:
The stone - the setting with n/s baguette
I can’t wait to see it!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock

That is going to be outstanding. I love the long lean look of emerald/baguette cuts.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have two tourmalines cut by Barry B that I purchased at different times and am thinking they would look nice together, set in a classic bypass style ring with the cushion cut stones kite set instead of the traditional square set. I haven‘t been able to find examples of a ring with the two stones set like this and am not sure how it will translate in real life.
What do you all think??
C5460D25-6FDF-4B2F-8B88-11A2AFE099DF.jpeg
DA94B2EF-DCBD-4ECD-A7FF-AF5DB8D085D6.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two tourmalines cut by Barry B that I purchased at different times and am thinking they would look nice together, set in a classic bypass style ring with the cushion cut stones kite set instead of the traditional square set. I haven‘t been able to find examples of a ring with the two stones set like this and am not sure how it will translate in real life.
What do you all think??

I love this idea!
I know you didn’t mention halos, and don’t think it’s needed, but this picture kinda gives the same idea of a kite set bypass
42759743-8D9B-40D5-A824-2122DBCD6F38.jpeg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this idea!
I know you didn’t mention halos, and don’t think it’s needed, but this picture kinda gives the same idea of a kite set bypass
42759743-8D9B-40D5-A824-2122DBCD6F38.jpeg

Thank you for this example! I like the look and think I will go for it! I’d like to halo them, but since I’m trying to keep the cost down, I’ll probably keep it simple and let Barry’s stones be the star of the show :). I was looking at my notes from when I bought the stones and they were only around $125 each...Oh how I miss Barry’s stone drops!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for this example! I like the look and think I will go for it! I’d like to halo them, but since I’m trying to keep the cost down, I’ll probably keep it simple and let Barry’s stones be the star of the show :). I was looking at my notes from when I bought the stones and they were only around $125 each...Oh how I miss Barry’s stone drops!!

:)
I also miss and wish him (and his wife, too) well.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:)
I also miss and wish him (and his wife, too) well.

He’s the sweetest. He announced in a newsletter earlier this year that his dear wife had passed. I hope he is faring well during these times.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He’s the sweetest. He announced in a newsletter earlier this year that his dear wife had passed. I hope he is faring well during these times.

oh no
:cry2:
I missed that.
crap.
im sorry.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_20200823_173609.jpg

icm_fullxfull.276434895_lyqecoolwa8o0k0kkw4c (1).jpg

Currently in the works. Baguettes will be graduated and bezel set. I am also asking for double claw prongs, in 18k yellow gold and some cutouts in the basket to allow let that entre to the stone. This stone I have named Molly, a bright sapphire/ruby

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I simply adore the completed spinel ring! I bought the spinel off OTL on Etsy and had Dan Stair recut it. Enhoerning helped me set it in 18k rose gold with F VS diamonds.

This is absolutely stunning I adore the colour. Damn just when I said I needed to stop using halos on everything you do this. :lol-2:

I used the 3.6mm for bezel set studs and the 4mm and 2.5mm from Brad at the Gem Trader for the necklace. I also added a rhombus from Tim at Inorogems and my first benitoite a 2.3mm round I got ages ago from Michelle Mai at @mvmgems

I love this. I have often thought I need to stop making rings and start with earrings and necklaces. You have given me more Inspo.

Finally starting to put together a cluster ring with a local jeweler. This is the layout. She is working on some CADS with various bezels, half bezels and tab prongs. I can’t wait to see her ideas. It will be white gold, not sure about the gallery or any engraving or shank ideas just yet.

I cannot wait to see this one come to fruition! It reminds me of Mondrian Art in a way.

I'm on a mission to declutter and reduce the number of loose so-so stones I have. The ones I love can either remain loose or be set, but the random so-so stones that I sometimes forget I have, they cause me anxiety! Some are not worth setting at all, others I would like to set but as cheaply as possible. A necklace with bunch of sliding bezels would be nice in theory but those always flip and drive me crazy and I'm done experimenting with that design. So I thought I'd try earrings. But the problem is I don't have matching pairs! I'll have to do a mismatched piece and see if I can live with the mismatchedness of it. I don't have great hopes of it working out but if it does I can do a few sets of earrings and get rid of some random stones, thereby creating more room and excuses to acquire more :rolleyes:.

That is a box of joy for sure. I am not sure I would be able to part with any of them! I don't have many loose stones but I find myself being drawn to creating my own jewellery a lot more now although buying vintage and pre-loved is certainly kinder to my wallet.

My little Jedi spinel has arrived at Ivy and Rose after a month post from Australia. Can't wait to see it completed.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Currently in the works. Baguettes will be graduated and bezel set. I am also asking for double claw prongs, in 18k yellow gold and some cutouts in the basket to allow let that entre to the stone. This stone I have named Molly, a bright sapphire/ruby

Oooh just saw this. I never liked pink stones that much until I came onto this forum and now I am obsessed with them! This is gorgeous love it with your skin tone as well

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooh just saw this. I never liked pink stones that much until I came onto this forum and now I am obsessed with them! This is gorgeous love it with your skin tone as well

@Pennyc
Me neither! I am not attached to pink stones at all. When I bought this, I was searching for red, but with this pink, I can forgive! I will love her anyway

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20200823_173609.jpg

@fiona00004, love the color of this stone so much, and it's going to look beautiful in that setting. Can't wait to see it!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20200823_173609.jpg

I can’t wait to see this either!
Fantastic choices :)

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
So excited I got the CAD and mock ups for my Jedi Spinel from Ivy and Rose.

They have tweaked one of their settings for it. I think it’s going to look wonderful would love to hear the thoughts of the PS brains trust

30CDD6ED-B3A7-49A8-B82B-C271F0F7B014.jpeg 4C3354D1-EDBA-435A-9A5E-600336BF4906.jpeg C65A3B33-C730-4E65-985F-8842216796A2.jpeg D9C242A5-88E1-40BB-AACD-10FB3670A4A2.jpeg A7DB24E5-6E4F-4B47-8AE5-5FD4BBDB84C2.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
What do you all think??
I think that's a great idea! What color metal are you thinking for this pair of tourmalines? Is it going to have any personal significance or symbology attached?

voce

Ideal_Rock
So excited I got the CAD and mock ups for my Jedi Spinel from Ivy and Rose.

They have tweaked one of their settings for it. I think it’s going to look wonderful would love to hear the thoughts of the PS brains trust

30CDD6ED-B3A7-49A8-B82B-C271F0F7B014.jpeg 4C3354D1-EDBA-435A-9A5E-600336BF4906.jpeg C65A3B33-C730-4E65-985F-8842216796A2.jpeg D9C242A5-88E1-40BB-AACD-10FB3670A4A2.jpeg A7DB24E5-6E4F-4B47-8AE5-5FD4BBDB84C2.jpeg

I think your spinel will look wonderful no matter what setting it's in. However, I don't like the inner halo as they've made it. I think the inner halo stones are pretty much as small as diamonds come, 0.8mm if I'm estimating correctly. When they're too small, the diamonds aren't brilliant enough.

I think I would go with 1.2mm to 1.5mm for the inner halo, and even bigger for the outer halo, so that you get more scintillation and brilliance from the diamonds! The way the ring currently looks, they may not have changed the number of the stones from their original setting, but downsized the size of the diamonds. I'd rather they make the number of stones on the halo fewer and NOT downsize the size of the diamonds.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @voce looking at the original listing it has .41 TCW inner halo was 22 stones and outer 20

Looking at this one it is 20 inner and 20 outer so not sure how much it has been scaled down? I will ask however and see what they have done? I have sent an email to Sara who has been lovely to work with

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @voce looking at the original listing it has .41 TCW inner halo was 22 stones and outer 20

Looking at this one it is 20 inner and 20 outer so not sure how much it has been scaled down? I will ask however and see what they have done? I have sent an email to Sara who has been lovely to work with

The original setting was for a stone 6.5mm to 6.8mm in length, which is ~20% longer than your stone. So if the number of stones in the new model is the same, then they used smaller stones in the halos and each stone has a different mm size.

I'd rather have them reduce the number of stones in the halo but keep the same mm stone size or even go slightly larger. I don't know how to explain it in a way that you'd understand, but if you look at the original listing, the ratio of the diameter of the stones in the inner halo to the diameter of the stones in the outer halo is larger. This means they reduced the size of the inner halo stones. They're tiny, and in my experience tiny diamonds cannot scintillate as well as larger diamonds.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Ah thanks @voce I believe I follow what you are saying. I have emailed and hopefully will hear back overnight about their size I have mentioned the concern around the lack of sparkle in a small stone

I am fairly useless when it comes to size. I really need to get better at visualising these things as you have demonstrated it can make a significant difference.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
@Pennyc I don't have any input but that is going to look incredible. I'm coming around to pinks and reds myself

I wasn't super sure about earrings and necklaces (I have a daily driver that I never take off) but I have to say i came around and now have a growing earring collection. That and I needed another band like a hole in the head, I mean what else do you do with little stones :).

@2Neezers I loooove those tourmalines, I am partial to angular cuts and that cut is gorgeous and brings out the color brilliantly. I also love the idea of kite setting. I think it would look ahhhmazing. This isn't anywhere close to your shape but I was going for fluid for my tourm toi e moi.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What do you all think??

Both your stones are first class, and they look great together. How could your idea not work??? :love: :love: :love:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that's a great idea! What color metal are you thinking for this pair of tourmalines? Is it going to have any personal significance or symbology attached?
@voce I’m glad you think it’s a great idea!! I was thinking white gold, because I only wear white gold or silver for the most part. The jeweler I am talking to would be using Stuller components for the baskets and shank, so I could do yellow gold baskets with a white gold shank, but I don’t know how that would look. I’ll probadly play it safe and just go all white gold. There’s no significance or symbology, I just thought they looked good together and I’m trying to add some variety to the setting styles in my collection :)).

@2Neezers I loooove those tourmalines, I am partial to angular cuts and that cut is gorgeous and brings out the color brilliantly. I also love the idea of kite setting. I think it would look ahhhmazing. This isn't anywhere close to your shape but I was going for fluid for my tourm toi e moi
I love your ring @CSpan ! I have wanted a two stone ring ever since seeing yours. There is something about beautiful stones paired with polished gold that I find so classic and beautiful. Thanks for the compliments on the stones! Barry did a fantastic job bringing out their beauty :)).

Both your stones are first class, and they look great together. How could your idea not work??? :love: :love: :love:
Thank you @prs ! That’s so kind of you to say :)). Your wife’s new gem silica pendant is gorgeous! I can’t wait to see pictures once you have it in hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results