shape
carat
color
clarity

Lets post our wedding dresses!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/11/2004 9:25
6.gif
9 PM
Author: researcher
It''s funny that some of you find the J Crew dresses don''t fit busty girls. I''m a standard size 4 with a fairly substantial chest (32DD/34D) and the size 2 J Crew dresses fit me perfectly (J Crew and Banana Republic seem to run a bit big)! I think it just depends on your body type. I think J Crew is a GREAT place to get a simple yet elegant dress.

You sound similar to my size (I''m a 4 dress usually, 32DD) so maybe there''s hope yet for the J.Crew bridesmaid... I like the dress because it''s not too bridesmaidy and if it''s in a decent color I could even wear it again. Hopefully none of the other maids, who I haven''t met yet, are much bustier than I am
1.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Nicrez-- I admit my ignorance. Must see a pic of this "crumbcatcher" gown of which you speak!
5.gif

abra - ty for the info (this is tiffany, I changed my username cos it was too long, lol) my girlfriend has already that I am not to worry about paying for anything, she is a bit older than me and I am still in college, but I am just not comfortable with that, maybe I am old fashioned, I don''t know... but it is good to know that there are beautiful dresses under $1500 - I am not sure my budget could stretch to $4000 as I will be spending as much as I can on the ring. so thanks again for the info

I have to say that love pretty much every single dress that has been posted! they are all so understated, just beautiful, ''simple, yet elegant''

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

Here''s a little picture of the crumb catcher... a very popular dress here in NY, especially for a certain group of girls. The ones with fancy weddings, but who don''t have enough for the $20K gowns... It''s like the staples of the Marc Jacobs bag, or Louis V bag, the Manolo shoes, the weekend trips to the Hamptons in the summer, the perfectly Japanese straightener pin straight blonde highlighted hair sect here in NY.

It''s as if someone defined "cool" somewhere along the line, and everyone else copied...or has to follow or beat to be cool....

Sorry, I needed to vent a bit. But that''s the dress. it''s OK, but not worth the commotion. I tried it on and it''s generally flattering to those who don''t have much up top, and plus an a-line fits almost ANY shape, so it''s very versatile...

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I hope this loads...

Crumb catcher2.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Now I see why you call it the "crumbcatcher"!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
OMIGOD! I just bought my dress!!!

I went to a sample sale today, totally expecting to find nothing, or if I got very lucky to buy a princessy Kenneth Pool ballgown!

Well, as you've all heard, what you think looks good on you is not always what really does... I did try on a Kenneth Pool for fun, and it was gorgeous, but I felt that the dress was wearing ME, not the other way around! And it weighed a ton...

I tried on a bunch of samples, including this Amsale... Very flattering neckline, nice back... I was grooving on it:

http://www.amsale.com/bridal/amsalecollection/030620/030620C10.jpg

And I liked it, until I tried on this one:

http://www.amsale.com/bridal/amsalecollection/030117/030117B71.shtml

More sophisticated silhouette, sexier... What's a girl to do?

But the answer to that question became clear as soon as I put on...

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
MY DRESS!!!!

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.jennyleebridal.com/collection_timeless1/304F.jpg

It''s a Jenny Lee dress, originally $3500 - bought it for $1000. It''s going to need some repairs (one seam came apart and there''s a small pull in the silk on the skirt), but it fits like it was made for me, and it just made me feel gorgeous!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
OH GOLLY!
Date: 11/13/2004 2:51
6.gif
0 PM
Author: ChooChoo
http://www.jennyleebridal.com/collection_timeless1/304F.jpg

It''s a Jenny Lee dress, originally $3500 - bought it for $1000. It''s going to need some repairs (one seam came apart and there''s a small pull in the silk on the skirt), but it fits like it was made for me, and it just made me feel gorgeous!

ChooChoo,

it''s gorgeous...just gorgeous!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
choo choo- That dress is really pretty. The way it gathers.. how does that work? does it just stay that way?? I''m not really educated on the way these expensive gowns work. You got a dress FAST! When is your wedding going to be again? You''ve only been engaged a week!!

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Melissa,

I did get a dress fast - I just wanted to go to a sample sale and look around, and I was *going* to leave empty handed after trying on a bunch of dresses, but then I came across this one and I just knew it was the one! It makes me feel beautiful, and the fabric was so much softer and more luxurious than the Amsale and even Kenneth Pool gowns I tried on.

The bustling on the front (and there is more on the back, it''s very Victorian-inspired) is done the same way you would do a normal bustle for the reception - there are little ties on the inside of the skirt, and you tie the folds together. That way, you can adjust it to be as tight or loose as possible, or not have the folds at all - but I love them, and I''m definitely going to have it draped, as in the picture.

So yep... my wedding is not for a year and a half, so the dress will have to do some waiting... but I am glad I bought it now, since I had that "this is THE ONE" feeling about it, and so did my best friend who came shopping with me. With all the other dresses, she would say "This is pretty" or "I like it", but with this one, she said it was gorgeous, and that it looked like it was made just for me.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock

Choo - Well its wonderful that you found a dress so fast!!! I get it now, it seemed to defy gravity. When is your wedding date? Mine is May 27th 2006. Its about a year and a half away too, so we are probably getting married around the same time.

I tried on probably 6 or 7 dresses last week at the one shop.. and I really still like the Forever Bridals one. I have to go back with my mom next week, but I may get it soon. I''d like to do some more looking, because I love wedding dresses, and I only get to buy one ONCE!!!!! but I also don''t want it to get discontinued or something. The girl at the bridal shop said something about I could put a $5 deposit on it or something.. but I don''t know what that means exactly.. because I wasn''t about to put a deposit on any dress last week.

I went to a bridal show today and all the dresses there was only one bridal shop.. and I think the only dresses they carried were Alfred Angelo.. They did a little fashion show with a bunch of their gowns. They were NOT attractive. So that is one shop i don''t have to go to.

Melissa

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Choo Choo,

Before I found my current dress, I was DEAD SET on a Jenny Lee... My favorite was the strapless one with the pleats and the top and the bottom (number 418 maybe...), but my local bridal store didn''t have that one. I tried on the Carolina Herrera version and it made me look short anyway, so just as well! I did try on 414 and 417 and they were out of this world--I had a very tough decision that day!

Anyway--her fabrics and designs are SO luxurious and beautiful--I am certain you will be just STUNNING.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
ChooChoo...breathtaking! It just LOOKS like it''s sinful to touch! And I love the bodice...I bet it''s very flattering! When do we get to see body shots??
2.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
melissa and choochoo...
I am so glad that there are other girls out there who aren''t going to get married for another year and a half and already got/are shopping for dresses!!! I just got engaged two weeks ago and I had to confess to my FI that i went to davids bridal already (twice! once by myself and once w/a friend)... we don''t even have a date yet (spring or summer 2006) but I LOVE looking at dresses!!!! (my FI says I would be happy w/my ring, a dress, and cake!! forget the rest of the wedding... I think he''s right... except I need him too!)

Melissa your dress is so neato! I like the fold things.

tulipcloud

Shiny_Rock
ahhh...just what I love to talk about! wedding gowns!!...ChooChoo...that's an absolutely beautiful gown! lucky to find such a great price too! My lil laptop has been in for repairs so I have been in internet withdrawal for the last few weeks...which is good because I went out gown shopping. And after trying on so many..I finally found "the ONE!" I initally didn't want alot of beading, something soft looking since I thought satin looked too shiny. and I ended up with something not what I was expecting at all!

http://www3.bridesave.com/images/gowns/mga440hcm.jpg

It's a Maggie Sottero Regency Gown. And although it blew my budget, I was able to save a ton by getting it online instead. Hopefully I can get this pic posted!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mentioned that my wedding gown was dowdy by today''s standards. Back when I was married there was no such thing as a strapless wedding gown. Mine was pretty much par for the course as I remember things!

Deborah

weddingday2.jpg

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
AGBF- I think your wedding gown was beautiful! I love the way the top was and the neckline. Its funny how the styles change. (like EVERYTHING is strapless now). But I''m sure that style will come back around. For example. My grandmother''s wedding gown from 1938... I think its the prettiest dress ever. It has long sleeves, but minus those.. I''d totally wear it.. however.. my mother informed me that it was not preserved.. so although we probably still have it, it is in no condition to be worn.
Here she is.... Take off those sleeves, and it could practically be a Monique L''huillier!!
grandma%20taxter%20wedding%20gown.jpg

Melissa

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That really *is* gorgeous, MelissasSue! The lace is exquisite! Add to that the year in which she got married: 1938! To have a gown that lovely during The Great Depression must have been especially unusual!!!

Deborah

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Tulip - I LOVE that dress!
30.gif
I like that little v-thing it does (im not very clothing/fabric/sewing word savvy!) and the way it splits in the skirt... very nice pick!
30.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
So.. I went back to the bridal shop today with my mom and my best friend. We tried on 4 dresses that I liked the first visit.. and we all loved the Now and Forever gown. I didnt buy it, but they said if I put a $5 deposit down on it, they can let me know if it is going to get discontinued or anything so I can order it. I''m going to keep looking. I dont think that I posted these pics on this thread yet. They were ones I took from a manequin in a showcase that I originally saw the dress in. I think it does the dress more justice than the ad.
malldresscollage.jpg

Its really pretty. and it will be very flattering on me. Not too bad a price either!

I''ll keep looking though and keep you girls posted.

OH.. a note about that Melissa Sweet gown. I saw it again in a bridal magazine (on one of THEIR models, instead of the melissa sweet model, and its just not as pretty on anyone except that little twig of a model that Melissa Sweet has it on. Or maybe they just didn''t have it fit their model as well..but it just sort of "hung" there.. They also list the price of it as "around $4000" YIKES!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Oh! and AGBF- Yeah.. my great grandparents had some cash.. My grandma had that gorgeous gown, and she went to college in the 1920''s, which I think was pretty rare for a woman in that day..

Oh.. and my center stone in my e-ring was a SIDESTONE in a ring my great grandma owned. I actually heard that they did lose some of it in the stock market crash.. but they must have had something left over.

I wish some of that cash would have made it down to me!!
emteeth.gif

tulipcloud

Shiny_Rock
thanks njc! I ordered it a few days ago and can''t wait til March to come around so I can wear it again.

MelissaSue, those dresses are absolutely beautiful! I haven''t heard of a $5 deposit before, do they mean for the same dress on the manequin? Any other dresses out there?
19.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I''m not exactly sure what the deal with the $5 deposit is... what they TOLD me is that.. if I have some sort of $$ deposit down on the dress they can let me know if the dress is going to become discontinued. They couldn''t keep track of it for me if i just had it as one of my "favorites" on thier little cards that they keep for people.. (I would need a half down deposit to actually order it). Here''s the thing though.. They never took any of my contact info other than my name.. so I''m a little suspicious.. I need to go back in there and ask about it.. I was just so excited when I was there that I didn''t even realize until I got home that I''d never even given them my phone number....but.. hey.. its $5.... not a gigantic loss. I guess in the worst case scenario, i could get the sample gown (they have two.. one in a size 10 in white that I tried on, and the one on the manequin, which I''m guessin is a size WAY too small for me.. in ivory.. I''d definitely prefer the white). I think that on thursday I''m going to go at least one other shop.. and maybe a couple more if I can get appointments. I might even go to *gulp* davids..

Melissa

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
lol......okay, I''m sorry, but whenever I see this thread has a new post, I click page 3 to load, and of course the first post on the page is mine asking about the crumbcatcher dress. And then a few posts later is the pic of the crumbcatcher dress. And it CRACKS ME UP *EVERY SINGLE TIME* I load this page!!!!
9.gif

I''m going to be very sad when we move onto page 4 and I don''t get my insta-giggle!
2.gif

Here''s my dress. The front is a cowl neck. Haven''t figured out shoes yet.
emteeth.gif

wedding gown.jpg

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
That is absolutely lovely! I love the small details on the dress, while maintaing soft lines...

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
oh my gosh Alice! I love that dress. Its so soft and pretty. I wish there was a pic of the front.. i really hate when they only have the back of their dress in ads (any know of that Carmela Sutera gown that in ALL her ads and the back is gorgeous but they NEVER show the front?) or even WORSE, when they have the model SITTING DOWN wearing the dress. SO ANNOYING.. But that dress you posted is SOOOO pretty. Who makes it? Its so feminine and sweet!

melissa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results