shape
carat
color
clarity

Lets post our wedding dresses!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abradabra

Shiny_Rock

Tachi, you and I do have the same tastes in gowns--I was definitely thinking that when I saw your dress!

I''m afraid I don''t have more pictures--but in the back the champagne-colored fabric follows the same triangular pattern, ending with three champagne colored buttons along the zipper. The back is lower in the back than the front but not SUPER low either.

The Glasgow Bridal website has more pictures here: http://www.glasgowbridal.com/Coll03-R24.htm, but none are of the back.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2004 4:26
6.gif
4 PM
Author: goldengirl
Heh, mine''s going to be a custom job by my mom, incorporating the details of many dresses that I like. :)

And a silhouette kinda like this:

lezu_1081.jpg

This is all ''kinda'' what I have in mind, but you get the idea.
1.gif

.....just need the RING first!!
9.gif

GoldenGirl-

Who makes this dress? I love it, and it has just the right amount of gather to it- this is basically what I have been thinking about for a dress- otherwise I was going to go with something very non-traditional.

Jen (who also needs the ring first- but GG is probably going to get hers first by a long shot!)

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Jen - I did some detective work, and found that the dress golden girl posted (Which is absolutely STUNNING) is made by L''ezu atelier. Their website is http://www.lezu.com, but it is very hard to navigate. Look on weddingchannel.com or theknot.com

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much, MelissaSue! That was really nice of you, I appreciate it much!

tachi

Rough_Rock
abradabra, i just checked out the glasgow website... they have great gowns... great choice on the dress. maybe you can post more pics when you get the dress. i ordered my a week ago and it should arrive in march... more than enough time for my july wedding. when is your dress coming? when''s the wedding?

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF, I''m glad somebody else can see my vision! I was feeling lonely for a while there.
1.gif

And MelissaSue, thank you for finding that for me!! Jenwill would''ve been SOL because since I''m saving the pics as inspiration for a custom, not planning on ever purchasing said dress, I didn''t record where I got it from!
6.gif
So we both appreciate your detective skills!
2.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock

If I were going to be wearing a dress it would be one of these. This is the only drawback that I have found to running away.....

face14.gif

DressMontage1.jpg

amyi

Rough_Rock

Abradabra,

I have fallen in love with several of those Glasgow gowns! I love the style of your dress. The designs are so classy and beautiful yet somewhat unique. They look quite expensive which is typical of my taste, unfortunately!

Anyway, thank you for posting my inspiration for when i get to choose a dress whenever that may be.

2.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That dress MelissaSue posted has made me change my mind about getting married in jeans. However, I''ll be a 52-year-old, 2nd time around the block bride so I''m afraid I''d look like a frumpy cinderella wanna be. Do ya''ll think an older woman would look lovely or laughable in some of the gowns posted?

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Matata - I think you will look AMAZING on your wedding day, regardless of whether you get married in jeans and a ratty old t-shirt or in a $10,000 gown! My mom (turning 50 next year) married my stepfather in a green spaghetti strap sheath dress, and looked beautiful! And my stepmother (43) wore a white sheath dress with a matching white jacket. Choose something that makes you feel beautiful, and enjoy!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

Hey melissa - thanks for posing my dress! I couldn''t figure out how to do it from work!! :)

ALicia, my dress , the Paulette, is similar to your dress, the marialle - thye are both by Maggie, and are shiffon bunched at the waist. Mine has straps and more beads - i tried them both on and they are both LOVELY!! :)

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

Funny, but my friend who married in her mid 40''s (for the FIRST time) wore an exceptionally well tailored Donna Karan white pants suit. All she said was, "I don''t like dresses, they seem so spring chicken. I''m no spring chicken, except for my legs, so I better hide them in a pair of pants." I laughed my head off.

If I get married at city hall legally first (we are considering it for tax reasons), then I am totally treating myself to a lovely white suit!!!! (even though I am a spring chicken!)

aliciamt7

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/10/2004 3:22:18 PM
Author: treysar

Hey melissa - thanks for posing my dress! I couldn''t figure out how to do it from work!! :)

ALicia, my dress , the Paulette, is similar to your dress, the marialle - thye are both by Maggie, and are shiffon bunched at the waist. Mine has straps and more beads - i tried them both on and they are both LOVELY!! :)

Treysar--Yes, I saw your picture of your Maggie--it''s BEAUTIFUL!!! I didn''t see your dress before this, I didn''t know it existed, and I probably would have tried it on as well! Like me, I''m sure you can''t wait to wear it! I love how the fabric drapes on both of them! I can''t wait to go for fittings, it will finally actually fit me--the sample and the gown they ordered for me were both 3 sizes too big. 2 months til the fittings start!

Take care!

Alicia

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2004 7:32:59 PM
Author: Nicrez

Funny, but my friend who married in her mid 40''s (for the FIRST time) wore an exceptionally well tailored Donna Karan white pants suit. All she said was, ''I don''t like dresses, they seem so spring chicken. I''m no spring chicken, except for my legs, so I better hide them in a pair of pants.'' I laughed my head off.

If I get married at city hall legally first (we are considering it for tax reasons), then I am totally treating myself to a lovely white suit!!!! (even though I am a spring chicken!)

You know..that is a wonderful idea! I never thought of that at all. My h2b and I are going to run away and get married. Loooong story. Anyway, I keep brewing over what in the world to wear. I want something classy. Its just going to be the two of us and I''d feel really weird wearing an all out wedding gown...but that''s just me.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock

Diamonds4Me - What about something from the new J Crew wedding collection? They''re basically just fairly casual dresses that happen to be white. I like them, but they are too casual for my wedding.

Melissa

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I did not know that J Crew Had a wedding collection. I will check that out! Thank you very much MelissaSue
9.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
The J. Crew dresses are very pretty. I''m considering the tea length one for when I am a bridesmaid this spring. I only worry that they will not be accommodating for more busty girls.

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the J.Crew dress I was talking about.

jcrewtealength.jpg

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/11/2004 5:34:45 PM
Author: sciencegeek
The J. Crew dresses are very pretty. I''m considering the tea length one for when I am a bridesmaid this spring. I only worry that they will not be accommodating for more busty girls.

Yeah, hate to tell ya, but the J Crew dresses are not so good in this area. I tried one on about 2 weeks ago and couldn''t remote squeeze all I''ve got into my normal size there. Ugh. Fit everywhere else though.. which is great, but to me, very frustrating.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock

I may have a new gown!

mori_2555.jpg

I went and tried on some dresses today. I tried on this one, and the forever bridals one that I posted above. Plus some others that I was not too excited about.

There are no Melissa Sweet Retailers in this area, so I can''t try on the dream dress, plus $2500-$3000 is a tad out of my price range.

So, What do we think about this gown? Its Mori Lee Informals. Guess how much? $250!!!!!!!!!! My mother LOVES it, thinks it is totally "me" She hasn''t seen it on me yet though. It really did look good on, and Its so cute.. I just don''t know how I feel about the shortness. I was planning on wearing ballet slippers, and I probably couild not get away with that with this gown. I like it a lot, but don''t know if it is too informal for me I guess.

I do really like the forever bridals gown as well. It was very flattering on me, and the train is just GORGEOUS. It was $750, which is a lot more than $250, but not outrageous. Its pretty much a tie between those two. I think I''m still leaning toward the forever bridals gown, but the mori lee is just something new and different that I really like.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved the lace on the first dress you posted (the Melissa Sweet), but this one has a lovely, lacey look and I also love the *CUT*! If it isn't "dressy" enough, you can go all out with your jewelry and veil and flowers without feeling you have gone over the top!

Did you plan to wear a veil? If so, I suggest you try a very long veil with that dress. In my great-grandmother's wedding photo she had on a relatively short (ankle or floor length) dress with a far longer veil. The veil could provide the material you miss behind you and you could still wear a dress (this one) with a very classy cut.

Deb

researcher

Ideal_Rock
It''s funny that some of you find the J Crew dresses don''t fit busty girls. I''m a standard size 4 with a fairly substantial chest (32DD/34D) and the size 2 J Crew dresses fit me perfectly (J Crew and Banana Republic seem to run a bit big)! I think it just depends on your body type. I think J Crew is a GREAT place to get a simple yet elegant dress.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
MS--so is your MIL making the dress no longer an option?

please forgive my ignorance, but how much should one expect to spend on a wedding dress? obviously there will be all different prices, but roughly, for a nice dress, what kind of numbers are we talking?

and do I really not get to see the dress before the wedding day?

thanks

Girls-best-friend

Shiny_Rock
Melissa that dress is gorgeous! I absolutely love the lace. It has an very nice cut as well, you must post pics of you in it, I bet it looks fabulous!
35.gif

abradabra

Shiny_Rock

Tachi, I'm afraid I won't have pics of my dress for QUITE some time. I'm not getting married until Labor Day and my dress will not get here for another 6-8 months (I'm a bit worried about it actually because I read that sometimes the designer likes to "cut it close" with the dress--which isn't SO awful because they rarely need alterations other than hems, bustles, etc.)! I'll have pics of it after I get married though...

Amyi, thanks for the compliment! I'm glad you like his work as much as I do... I hope you find what you are looking for and if you decide to go with a Richard Glasgow, I'd highly recommend it. It's been such a fun experience and I can hardly wait to wear my dress!

Matata, you should check out http://www.stewartparvin.com/ , I think his gowns are so sophisticated and elegant, very Grace Kelly getting married except slightly more conventional. He has a lot of sheath and mermaid silhouettes that he pairs with little jackets that are just gorgeous. I don't know what you're looking to spend and think he is very expensive, but it might give you some ideas!

Tiffany, wedding dress prices are very variable--it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want a non-couture gown, they run from about $200 to $1500. The price is largely dependent on the type of fabric used (silk vs. silk-polyester blends vs. lace and so on and so forth), the amount of fabric used (a dress with a ballgown skirt and a cathedral length train is going to be more expensive than a simple sheath), the amount of "extras" on the dress (beading, other detailings).

Couture dresses start around $1800 and would say a good portion (if not most) fall into the $4000-$8000 range. Couture dresses are cut based on your actual measurements, not a standard size, so they generally need fewer alterations. Also, you can "customize" them to fit your needs (blend several dresses, change colors, change beading patterns, etc.) in ways that are more difficult, if not impossible, with non-couture gowns. These dresses rarely are made of anything but the most expensive, often imported, fabrics (I said most expensive and not best, that value judgment is up to the individual consumer). They also tend to be designed by "big name" designers (Vera Wang, Reem Acra, Carolina Herrera, to name a few...), so the design of the dress itself carries a larger premium in the retail market. Whichever you prefer depends on how much you are willing to spend on your wedding dress and what you are looking for...

abradabra

Shiny_Rock

I''ve just got to say--I love wedding dresses! I told my fiance I want to get married EVERY year so I can eventually wear all the dresses I fell in love with...

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock

AGBF- I was thinking that too, that a nice veil and tiara could really dress up the style. When I go back, maybe I''ll make them let me try on veils and tiaras and shoes so I can get a better idea. I know that I DON''T want to wear 5 inch heels like the model in that dress is wearing. But I''d definitely have to get cute cute shoes, since everyone would see them.

Goldengirl - I don''t really know what the situation is with MIL making my gown. Way back when, like after we''d been dating for 6 months or so, my fiance told me that his mother would definitely want to make my wedding gown. However, I have never heard anything to that effect directly from her. I had asked her at one point to do alterations on my best friends wedding gown, and she agreed to it, but she looked.. "frightened" at the prospect. So.. there are several factors

1) I don''t really want to ASK her to do it, because if I did, she would feel completely obligated (if it was my mom, it would be different story, but my mom can barely sew a button). So if she offered, it would be one thing.. but i don''t want to impose

2) I would almost rather order a dress, because at least then I would know exactly what I was getting. She can definitely do the alterations for me, and I''m thinking of possibly having her make my flower girl dresses. So she''ll have plenty of sewing to do.

Girls-best-friend - Thanks for the compliment on the dress. I don''t know if I''ll be able to get pictures of me in it for awhile. The bridal shop has big signs everywhere saying that you can''t take any pictures in there unless its your professional bridal portrait. A little weird? or is this normal? I am thinking its because the designers have those weird rules about their dresses being posted on the internet, either that or so you can''t take the picture to other shops to price compare.. They definitely ripped all the designer tags out of their dresses, so you can''t price-shop.. but I managed to find things on the internet regardless. SO I might not get a picture of it on me unless I buy it.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

I have to say that for a "desginer" like Vera Wang, they do not offer all their dresses with any changes. The gowns I tried on at thier retailer in Saks Fifth Ave, said that any dress I tried on would not be changed in form or construction in ANY way. Basically I saw a lovely gown but wanted to know if they could either taking beading OFF a gown, or make another gown with a bit more...

They said at about $9,000 for either of the gowns, what you see is what you get! I have to say these people DID NOT impress me, and neither did that "crumbcatcher" gown of Vera Wang which became the New York staple wedding fad dress of the past two years.... at a little over $2,600 it was the bottom of the line Vera that was no nicer than a $700 gown I saw at R.K. Bridal!!!

just my $.02. I eventually went with a designer that was not at first known to me, but she customized the gown to my taste, and actually may carry the new gown in her line next fall... Plus, she was very willing to help with the price....gotta love that!

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
I find that strange about Vera Wang too... Didn''t she start her bridal line because she couldn''t find a dress that met her needs? You would think she''d be all over the customization... Almost every designer dress I tried on while shopping, at numerous different places, could be customized and the sales girls are only too happy to explain all the different ways thing were fixed. I only wish I were creative enough to actually take advantage of it like you, Nicrez!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results