shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's play a game... rainbow gems.

@Autumn in New England I think it would look regal! Quite an appropriate pairing for royal purple garnet? We shall have to call you Your Majesty
Is the stone from Antony of Raregemstone Co?

I wish I had known Antony when I bought my purple garnet! He had (has?) some really fine ones, and I just adore him. I actually bought mine from AJS, which I no longer recommend after having a couple of issues with them of late, unfortunately. Too bad, because I had been pleased with their stones and service in the past. :|

Your aragonite pillars are incredible! I have a beach theme in my guest bath, and those would look so cool displayed in the "apothecary." lol Wherever did you find them?

I don’t know what’s next but I want to share this one again :)

It’s my little Burmese neon red pear. In incandescent it’s the best red I can imagine, in direct sunlight (like this picture) it shows some pink and wild glow.

05C86ABA-E016-48FA-9C0F-317CDDC6F34E.jpeg

Is this a spinel (my first thought) or ruby?! That may be the most vivid red (;-)) I've ever seen in my life. It's too bad you're not into man jewels, because you have beautiful hands. But I love the idea of your DW or DD being invited to dig into your cache!

That's exactly what the jeweller (the bench guy, not the sales person) intended. The concept is entirely his. But I thought it was pretty cool too. I don't own an actual Rolex,,,

I'm not particularly creative in terms of jewelry design, unfortunately. That being said, women's pieces in general can be quite inspired. On the other hand, men's jewelry can tend to be a bit monotonous. And I realize part of that is because most men simply don't care for ornate pieces. But it's always refreshing to see interesting men's designs. I must say again that you have a fabulous jeweler! Lucky.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not particularly creative in terms of jewelry design, unfortunately. That being said, women's pieces in general can be quite inspired. On the other hand, men's jewelry can tend to be a bit monotonous. And I realize part of that is because most men simply don't care for ornate pieces. But it's always refreshing to see interesting men's designs. I must say again that you have a fabulous jeweler! Lucky.

Well, truth be told, my first thought is always a straightforward bezel or half-bezel - simple, practical and suitable for a guy. My motto: It's all about the stone.

But with deep stones, a bezel can be too high, and look like a 'wall of metal'. So you need to get creative, e.g. with cutouts (as in my avatar pic) or steps down (as in the 'Rolex') to draw the eye away from the height. My jewellers (I use two) know my tastes (and my 'Liberace limit'!) and they usually come with something suitable.

My jewellers (I use two) know my tastes (and my 'Liberace limit'!) and they usually come with something suitable.

lol!
icon_hanukka.gif

@Starstruck8 Do you mind my asking where you're located (in the US or abroad)? I want to say Straya from your past posts, but I can't recall at the moment.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so Green next
hang on a mo ...
i got something a bit different
have to get it out of my china cabinet where it lives beside a painted ostrich egg and some mini glass rhino bookmarks :lol-2:
i brought it home from South Africa long before crystal shops were on every main street in NZ

Aventurine 20220625_163947.jpg

dang
did i forget to say its Aventurine
What a cool arse gem tree, @Daisys and Diamonds! When are we going to see some of your completed bead creations, hmm? :geek2:

one day :appl:

when they get completed :lol-2: :(2

it is slowly getting closer

next month I'll have to revisit the findings issue
the issue being its waaaaaay toooooo hard :boohoo:
d-snail-student-render-reading-book-39044749.jpg
it would be a lot eaiser if i could just go into a shop and hold them in my hands, get help from the person behind the counter or even just turn a blisterpack over and read the sizing

Brisbane, Australia. In sunny Queensland, where the Aussie sapphires come from.

Ahh so my brain does still have pockets of retention! My cousin completed her graduate degree there, so I was lucky enough to visit once. I didn't want to leave... my kind of place. The people, the wilds, the culture. There's just no pretense, you know? I'd like to see NZ too before I go to that great big gemstone mine in the sky. I wish I weren't such a white-knuckle flyer though. The flight is just too long for this scaredy cat... and it's gotten worse as I've gotten older, sadly. I'm only in my 30's - at this rate, I'll be a shut-in by the time I'm 50! lol
emoticon77-gif.203647

dang
did i forget to say its Aventurine

Love aventurine! Another versatile green gem.

it would be a lot eaiser if i could just go into a shop and hold them in my hands, get help from the person behind the counter or even just turn a blisterpack over and read the sizing

Buying online is such a convenience... and we can purchase some items we'd never find local. But there's no substitute for being able to see and touch something before buying. That's why gem shows are so great!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds, I have an ostrich egg from South Africa too but alas, no gem tree. Since we are in a crystal mood, let me post some blue and greenish-blue crystals - aragonite. Purple is next.

925D7CF2-A8BC-4044-A953-ED5E71B1AC0A.jpeg

those are so pretty
always reminds me of the supermen sceen in the snow cave with the big white sparkly crystals - although i think we worked out they were just ice

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahh so my brain does still have pockets of retention! My cousin completed her graduate degree there, so I was lucky enough to visit once. I didn't want to leave... my kind of place. The people, the wilds, the culture. There's just no pretense, you know? I'd like to see NZ too before I go to that great big gemstone mine in the sky. I wish I weren't such a white-knuckle flyer though. The flight is just too long for this scaredy cat... and it's gotten worse as I've gotten older, sadly. I'm only in my 30's - at this rate, I'll be a shut-in by the time I'm 50! lol
emoticon77-gif.203647

the flights a f*cking killer betwwen down here and up there
Air NZ are going to do direct flights to NYC and when i say NY its really Newark :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
NJ :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:
the 8 hour layover i had at LAX was in the oldest creepiest terminal before its upgrade, was hidouse and i never want to repeat it (i did however have very nice clam chowder in a bread bowl that was very very nice for airport food )
took 36 hours and 4 flights to get from Wellington to Moncton NB

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Starstruck8 Also, and I hope this doesn't sound too American of me, I was wondering if you've ever visited the Australia Zoo? It's pretty high up on my bucket list! I am unapologetic about my love for the Irwins.
1147477zy1e2pq72a.gif

i have ! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
we even saw Steve Irwin om his day off with little Robert sitting on the front of Dad's quad bike out the front of the family homestead
that tells you how long ago

the flights a f*cking killer betwwen down here and up there
Air NZ are going to do direct flights to NYC and when i say NY its really Newark NJ

NJ is fairly close by, so a direct flight would be a major plus!!

i have ! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
we even saw Steve Irwin om his day off with little Robert sitting on the front of Dad's quad bike out the front of the family homestead
that tells you how long ago

Really?! Aww how cool is that!! What a lovely memory to have. I adore their show on Animal Plant... it's always bittersweet though. Such a beautiful family, but you can't help but feel regret that he's not here to see his children and grandchildren grow up. :| As we say here, though, he died with his boots on.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
emoticon77-gif.203647
Yes, Brisbane is a great place to live. Especially in winter, with the cool fine days. With the climate so pleasant, we are more into outdoor living than the 'Southerners', as we like to call them. (N.B., different from US usage. The Southerners see us as hicks, and call Queensland 'the deep North'.) I think 'no pretense' is an Aussie thing - Crocodile Dundee may be a stereotype, but there is a fair bit of truth to it. Certainly we are less formal than many other nationalities.

@Starstruck8 Also, and I hope this doesn't sound too American of me, I was wondering if you've ever visited the Australia Zoo? It's pretty high up on my bucket list! I am unapologetic about my love for the Irwins.
1147477zy1e2pq72a.gif
I have driven past the turnoff many times, but I have never been there. Typical local, I guess...

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Not strictly yellow, but yellow-green chrysoberyl:
ChrysoRingA.jpg
This is so bright and happy, like wearing sunshine. I agree with you @Starstruck8 that it should be all about the stone.

Well, truth be told, my first thought is always a straightforward bezel or half-bezel - simple, practical and suitable for a guy. My motto: It's all about the stone.

But with deep stones, a bezel can be too high, and look like a 'wall of metal'. So you need to get creative, e.g. with cutouts (as in my avatar pic) or steps down (as in the 'Rolex') to draw the eye away from the height. My jewellers (I use two) know my tastes (and my 'Liberace limit'!) and they usually come with something suitable.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@VividRed, it is so lovely that your daughter is already sharing your interest in gems. Same here, my daughter loves crystals, gems and even mineral specimens.

Maybe one day, but not for me (I’m male and don’t see myself wearing jewelry other than my wedding band…yet, lol). I might set it for my daughter when she is old enough - she is three now so all she can play with is a 35ct synthetic ruby I purchased before she was born. She does not miss one chance to remind me that hers is MUCH BIGGER than mine

I have driven past the turnoff many times, but I have never been there. Typical local, I guess...

Isn't that always the case?! I'm just a couple of hours drive from NYC, a world mecca, and yet it's a rare occasion that I get there. But I'll admit I'm jealous of your proximity. Man, I'd be there every weekend.
anotherdancyguy.gif

Good night, all!!
sleepy.gif

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, Brisbane is a great place to live. Especially in winter, with the cool fine days. With the climate so pleasant, we are more into outdoor living than the 'Southerners', as we like to call them. (N.B., different from US usage. The Southerners see us as hicks, and call Queensland 'the deep North'.) I think 'no pretense' is an Aussie thing - Crocodile Dundee may be a stereotype, but there is a fair bit of truth to it. Certainly we are less formal than many other nationalities.

oh you have to go
we went in 2004 or 2005 but Gary went back a few years latter and it was even better
did i read somewhere a while back that Mrs Irwin might be selling ? i beleave the lock down was hard on them - perhaps things have improved by now ?

My favoirite thing we did was go to Nossa Ville and rode the camels on the beach
we went in late August so it wouldn't be too hot - or too cold when we got home

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn't that always the case?! I'm just a couple of hours drive from NYC, a world mecca, and yet it's a rare occasion that I get there. But I'll admit I'm jealous of your proximity. Man, I'd be there every weekend.
anotherdancyguy.gif

Good night, all!!
sleepy.gif
:lol-2:
i always said if we lived in Netwown (a sunburb of Wellington) id buy a yearly membership of the zoo

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
NJ is fairly close by, so a direct flight would be a major plus!!

Really?! Aww how cool is that!! What a lovely memory to have. I adore their show on Animal Plant... it's always bittersweet though. Such a beautiful family, but you can't help but feel regret that he's not here to see his children and grandchildren grow up. :| As we say here, though, he died with his boots on.

it is really sad
especial now there is a grandkiddie
and sad for Robert because he is younger so he has less memories than his sister

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@Autumn in New England Maybe white-knuckle flights can be broken up. Stop by different cities on your way to NZ or Australia - and visit PS members or PS-recommended shops along the way
Antony has just ONE grape garnet at the moment. I went to his site after I saw yours, on impulse! I haven’t bought from AJS recently. Sorry to hear the buying experience hasn’t be as good as before.
I wish I had known Antony when I bought my purple garnet! He had (has?) some really fine ones, and I just adore him. I actually bought mine from AJS, which I no longer recommend after having a couple of issues with them of late, unfortunately. Too bad, because I had been pleased with their stones and service in the past. :|

Your aragonite pillars are incredible! I have a beach theme in my guest bath, and those would look so cool displayed in the "apothecary." lol Wherever did you find them?
As to @Daisys and Diamonds ‘ Superman aragonite, my daughter (future PSer?) found them from Instagram feeds, pop-up stores and so on. Here are two that have good stuff. They ship internationally, but crystals are heavy!
We don’t place aragonite or Caribbean calcite in the bathroom, because even eco-cleaners like vinegar could damage them. Our crystals are the bedrooms, study, living room, and dining area. I think quartz can go in the bathroom. We even shade/cover our light-sensitive crystals

those are so pretty
always reminds me of the supermen sceen in the snow cave with the big white sparkly crystals - although i think we worked out they were just ice

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results