shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's play a game... rainbow gems.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I think it does (I didn’t even notice)! More apparent in these photos:
330969D1-B26E-4109-A8EF-B112A5B4ABD6.jpeg

Ring on a bias is definitely winning!

What a fine looking green tourmaline!! I love, love, love the cut. Does it have a checkerboard crown? I definitely think he deserves to be showcased in a ring, and I really like the idea of setting him on a bias. =)

@Daisys and Diamonds I DVR'd a PBS show exploring NZ... I intend to learn all about your island!!
respect_01.gif

I don’t…any recommendations?

I haven't used him yet, but fellow members go nuts for David Klass. And he does do beautiful work. I love Inken Krause of Enhoerning Jewelry, but she only accepts work on a case-by-case basis when not using her stones. You can certainly still contact her to inquire. Which color metal are you thinking?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I DVR'd a PBS show exploring NZ... I intend to learn all about your island!!
respect_01.gif

we live in Wanganui (in is also spelt Whanganui) which is on the West coast of the North island
but im born and bred a mainlander (the South island) from Dunedin which is on the east coast of the South island (note the North & the South islands always are called The South island, The North island
anyway The South island is the most beautiful place in the world but alas we don't have Bruce Springsteen
sigh
and although we have gold we dont have any really intetesting gems but they do farm paua pearls here - that's our abalonie, that due to the cold water has the most vivid colour shells -
alas i do not own a paua pearl (they cost mega $$$)
half-polished-swirl-paua-shell-2098-p.jpg
a lot of paua shell jewlery is overpriced and tacky for the tourist unfortunately but the shells are still pretty
Gary makes a nice paua patty for the BBQ

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok i can do yellow 20220618_180532.jpg :lol-2: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
my latest citrene beads finally turned up on the slow boat from Texas

were in the letter box this morning when i checked at 6.30am on the way to work
im too scared to look at the amber - they still look too big

we live in Wanganui (in is also spelt Whanganui) which is on the West coast of the North island
but im born and bred a mainlander (the South island) from Dunedin which is on the east coast of the South island (note the North & the South islands always are called The South island, The North island
anyway The South island is the most beautiful place in the world but alas we don't have Bruce Springsteen
sigh
and although we have gold we dont have any really intetesting gems but they do farm paua pearls here - that's our abalonie, that due to the cold water has the most vivid colour shells -
alas i do not own a paua pearl (they cost mega $$$)
half-polished-swirl-paua-shell-2098-p.jpg
a lot of paua shell jewlery is overpriced and tacky for the tourist unfortunately but the shells are still pretty
Gary makes a nice paua patty for the BBQ

I have a few cabs of this shell... it's fabulous! 1. I didn't know it was harvested in NZ; and 2. I didn't know it was edible!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a few cabs of this shell... it's fabulous! 1. I didn't know it was harvested in NZ; and 2. I didn't know it was edible!

tastes like old boot if you dont cook it right
my sister had a friend who's husband was a commercial diver (note that paua must be free-dived - no air) we had some once like how its exported
thinny sliced in garlic, it was very nice

Gary has a mincer and minces it uo with bacon and salt & peppet etc

the mabe pearls they grow are really beaitiful. i wish i haf brought the ring i looked at 20 years ago (it was 4k and too much of a stretch at the time)
this is a brooch gifted to The Queen

Attachments

• 9377851.jpg
    9377851.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 9377495.jpg
    9377495.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 65

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i guess if no one has blue the Queen will loan us her brooch :lol-2:
but im sure there is still an ocean of PS blue we havn't seen yet

@Autumn in New England you can get bathroom tiles with a tiny vinear of paua shell accross the top
i so want them !
ill provably settle for just gluing bits of shined up shell from a craft store, over the frame of the bathroom mirror

its also used extensively in trational Maori carving Screenshot_20220619-114020.png a very long article in NZ geographic for when you cant sleep
39_Paua_21-862x1300.jpg
a wee article from only this week

and if you wanna look at jewlery

Last edited:
i guess if no one has blue the Queen will loan us her brooch :lol-2:
but im sure there is still an ocean of PS blue we havn't seen yet

@Autumn in New England you can get bathroom tiles with a tiny vinear of paua shell accross the top
i so want them !
ill provably settle for just gluing bits of shined up shell from a craft store, over the frame of the bathroom mirror

its also used extensively in trational Maori carving Screenshot_20220619-114020.png a very long article in NZ geographic for when you cant sleep
39_Paua_21-862x1300.jpg
a wee article from only this week

and if you wanna look at jewlery

Oh that is lovely! I might as well share some of my abalone sterling pieces (that's what we call paua here in the States)!! We'll count the entry as blue. lol

This guy is removable from the necklace, which also has emerald, tourmaline, and amethyst in there.
Capturs ynjr dcb.JPG

This enhancer pendant is capped with faceted crystal quartz and hung on a multi leather cord necklace. Capturetduknbnm v.JPG

And here are some critters! Dragonfly with peridot and amethyst, and a butterfly with variscite and turquoise.
Capture dtky.JPG

Capturesw6yndjr n1245908.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results