shape
carat
color
clarity

Let’s talk, have you ever considered selling it all?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion is that anything purchased to make one happy is serving its purpose if it makes that person happy, even if that happiness comes in a different form than anticipated. For me, disconnecting the expectation of wear from my personal definition of “enjoyment” was key to avoiding purchases that led to regrets.

Nope, never seriously considered selling anything more than a piece here, a piece there ::)

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
This was a shower thought today and thought it might be an interesting discussion.

I have really struggled with having a collection of jewelry, it’s not really a comfortable spot and at points I feel like I just have way too much. That’s part of the reason I tend to sell something when I buy something, it keeps down the feeling of being overwhelmed. Of course then there are this pieces that tend to stick around, even if they aren’t worn often. On one hand I can’t imagine selling, but then it seems wasteful that it’s not being worn. Am I crazy? Maybe I am just legit insane :lol-2:

Have you ever considered selling everything? If so was there a goal or were you aiming for a more minimalistic approach. Is there a piece that even if you did sell everything, you would absolutely not part with?

Don’t worry guys, I’m not making any crazy rash decisions, we are not about to lose our livelihood or anything but I’m genuinely interested to see if anyone is or has been in this boat?

@YadaYadaYada, Yes! Not that I have much at all, but it would be more simple to have only one special piece. The one that I would never consider selling is my .90 diamond. I may consider trading up one day at James Allen though.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
@marymm, do you have any yummy, wonderfully cut diamonds for sale?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@marymm, do you have any yummy, wonderfully cut diamonds for sale?

Hi @Angie3 -- I haven't listed any of my diamonds, or anything recently for that matter, but when I do decide to list something it will be on Loupetroop (I have same username on LT) and maybe also I'd create a new thread on PS Preloved forum. Thanks for your interest!

Relatedly, I had a chat on this very subject with my DH yesterday afternoon and he said, "but you love your jewels, why would you sell them all?" He's a keeper lol.

I think for now I'll stay the course, which is to focus on completing planned setting projects. Along the way, if I come across something in my collection that I don't wear (or won't be setting) and I don't find abiding joy in it, then I'll sell that piece.

I am still learning that I can love something and find it pretty and still choose not to keep it (or add it) to my collection. It's the hardest rule for me to remember!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. I would never sell any of it. I only buy what I want to keep forever… which is all of it! Hehe!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually have. Well not it all but my diamond ring. Not because I feel I have too much but because I just don’t wear rings most of the time. But my husband won’t let me lol. He feels I’d regret it.

Plus I am not a seller at heart. I have trouble parting with things. Which is ironic because I’m a minimalist deep down. But if all the stars align for a piece as they did with Bea, I would consider it. That was meant to Bea. Hahahaha

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Angie3 -- I haven't listed any of my diamonds, or anything recently for that matter, but when I do decide to list something it will be on Loupetroop (I have same username on LT) and maybe also I'd create a new thread on PS Preloved forum. Thanks for your interest!

Relatedly, I had a chat on this very subject with my DH yesterday afternoon and he said, "but you love your jewels, why would you sell them all?" He's a keeper lol.

I think for now I'll stay the course, which is to focus on completing planned setting projects. Along the way, if I come across something in my collection that I don't wear (or won't be setting) and I don't find abiding joy in it, then I'll sell that piece.

I am still learning that I can love something and find it pretty and still choose not to keep it (or add it) to my collection. It's the hardest rule for me to remember!

@marymm, Thank you! I will have to check out Loupetroop!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I like that perspective @yssie and even though I don’t comment, I always enjoy seeing your collection on the VCA thread.

@Angie3….one special piece is exactly what I would like to turn into reality but then picking that ONE piece is like o_O

@marymm, I can totally relate to learning to appreciate a piece and not needing to own it. It’s so hard though! Absolutely love what your husband said, that is a great guy right there.

@Sprinkles&Stones, well you aren’t missing out because selling things can be a monster! I’m just always changing my mind and changing direction but that has been slowing down lately thankfully.

@missy, not your amazing diamond ring! I think your husband is right on this, diamonds with that faceting and in that size are not easy to find. It is an amazing piece!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
we dont have a capital gains tax here thankfully
not that i expect most of my belongs to appreate in value (well the house will)
i have no children
Gary's daughter died last year
i guess ill just leave most of the stuff to our local SPCA or find a cat protection league and any family stuff can go to my niece

although i plan to leave a few bits of stuff to my friends 3 daughters
when my friend's nana died a few years ago she was so upset not to get anything of nana's and they had a close relationship and she was so good to her nana

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somewhat related to this discussion, we went to an antique store today. We have been there before and there is always a lot of jewelry. Although I already feel I have too much, that hasn’t stopped me in the past from just trying things on. We all know where that leads though! Don’t you know right there in the front, almost taunting me was this Art Deco platinum iridium diamond ring, it screamed take me out and try me on!

I passed by that case at least five times, I crouched down to admire it from all the angles.

Then I took a picture of it and left it right there.

“No, you don’t need to try it on, yes it is pretty and you have plenty of pretty at home.” Is what I said as I joined the rest of the family who has all but given up once they saw the cases of rings.

The picture really doesn’t capture the delicate milgrain and I’m sure it would have come out 1000 times better not being behind glass but I wasn’t taking any chances!

92521E5A-8E39-4ADE-B0B7-1FDDCD2776F4.jpeg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somewhat related to this discussion, we went to an antique store today. We have been there before and there is always a lot of jewelry. Although I already feel I have too much, that hasn’t stopped me in the past from just trying things on. We all know where that leads though! Don’t you know right there in the front, almost taunting me was this Art Deco platinum iridium diamond ring, it screamed take me out and try me on!

I passed by that case at least five times, I crouched down to admire it from all the angles.

Then I took a picture of it and left it right there.

“No, you don’t need to try it on, yes it is pretty and you have plenty of pretty at home.” Is what I said as I joined the rest of the family who has all but given up once they saw the cases of rings.

The picture really doesn’t capture the delicate milgrain and I’m sure it would have come out 1000 times better not being behind glass but I wasn’t taking any chances!

92521E5A-8E39-4ADE-B0B7-1FDDCD2776F4.jpeg

Well that is a step in the right direction! I should have done the same today :shock:

One thing I learned working remotely during Covid is that unless I am going into the office, I'm not motivated to wear/change up my jewelery. I'll be retiring sooner rather than later. Plus I have no one to pass it on to - my daughter loses everything and my son's long term girlfriend has totally different taste than I do.

So, yes I tell myself that I need to do a massive clear out (not all but easily 3/4 of my stuff). The problem is that selling on LT often means unless its a unicorn, it sits there unless you bring the price to a point where I'd rather give it away to someone I know. Maybe I will open an etsy store, heaven knows I have enough :lol:

But first, I need to stop buying....

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lilmosun, you have done some good clearing out in the past though! I agree that LT can be hard and selling to those used to getting a deal can be especially frustrating.

I would be lying if I said that I will never buy another piece, but moving forward it will be intentional and for an occasion. It’s especially hard when you buy vintage and antique because you usually have to buy it when you see it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds, oh you are lucky in not having to worry about capital gains. The government always has their hand in our wallet!

I try not to think about what happens to all of this when I die. Originally I was going to leave it to my SIL (husband’s sister) but we had a huge falling out and honestly I would have to come back and haunt her if she wore my rings :lol:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have so much I need to sell but it just overwhelms me. I have the best intentions but then I get a block. I tell myself “just do 5 things” and next minute I have 100 pieces out, to choose the 5 and I’m like “can’t cope” and all of it goes back into the crate under the table.
sigh.
I have some family pieces I’d never sell or only if it was avoid starving or homelessness and some special pieces that will always bring me joy. Most the other stuff I’m not fussed to keep.
My forever favourites include my opal bracelet, my opal pendant, my Alexandrite bracelet, Almond Blossom Opal ring and my engagement ring and my big blue sapphire and diamond ring.
Watches, I’m especially attached to my Lady and the Tiger watch, my rolex and my diamond Longines.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat, you have parted with some beautiful things, so to be down to what you truly love is definitely a win in my book. Even if they don’t get worn much, if they bring you joy then that’s wonderful!

@PreRaphaelite, I wonder how much the pandemic has affected how people think about their possessions. It is wonderful to have so many beautiful things, we are lucky in that sense but it comes with a certain responsibility that’s hard to understand outside the PS world.

@rungirl, this is an important realization because our items are precious and bring us happiness, but to the ones we leave behind they may become a burden. I can’t imagine my life on tables with little stickers on each one :oops2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357, I’ve only sold one or a few pieces at a time but even then it’s a lot of work and a definite commitment. Having multiple pieces out of a collection like yours would be an undertaking for sure.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Yes and I did it last year! I hadn't worn most for several years and hadn't worn any of my yellow gold items for over 10 years, so I figured I would sell a few items. I went back and forth trying to select what to sell then decided to only keep the few pieces that I wore daily. I sold at what I thought were reasonable prices and had no expectation of making much. Although, I did make a substantial amount on the approximately 50 items I sold. I also gave away a few items.

Selling was not easy. Maybe because I had so many items at once and was fielding so many questions then waiting for payment and addresses. I ended up moving everything to eBay. The fees were expensive, but was so much easier selling on that platform.

Every so often I have regret, but I get over it quickly remembering that I hadn't worn the items in years. In the long run, it is so refreshing. Like removing clutter from my life.

Well done! Did you use the money to buy a special piece?

Great question! I am not at the point where I want to sell it all but I would really like to pare down everything in the house to keep what we actually love as opposed to what we've kept in boxes for years. :???:

I do have to sell all the non-costume but non-high-end jewelry on behalf of my grandmother's estate and I am dreading it. A man approached me during the estate auction who was interested in possibly buying all the unlisted jewelry but I lost his phone number---ugh!!! I'm seriously so, so mad at myself about it.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how selling the estate pieces will affect things re: the 1099 issue. The estate does not have its own PayPal account.

My photography skills also leave much to be desired. :(

[Please forgive any/all grammatical errors because I am seriously, seriously sleep deprived.] [Or don't. Go ahead and judge away.] :D:lol:

Hugs to you about the sleep deprivation. I’ve been there and it’s so hard.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I haven't considered selling ALL my jewelry but I have cleared out a lot of pieces I no longer wear. Now it's a smaller and better organized collection, which I'm happier with. I wouldn't like not having it at all though. I try, with some success but not ALL that well, to:

1) Be more mindful of what I buy. I'm more aware of what I have so I have specific things in mind to get and also to not get, if I already have something similar, or whatever.

2) Rotate through my jewelry so it all gets worn at least once in a while.

3) Sell, gift or donate things I no longer care for more frequently.

4) Stick to a jewelry budget so I can buy guilt-free and not overspend. And when I DO overspend (haha) at least it goes on the record now for playing catch up.

5) Catalogue my jewelry, which I've started but not finished. Each piece has one or more photos, a description and a receipt, if available.

6) It also lives in a safe now and is better insured. Not that it's a huge or highly valuable collection anyway but I still have less worry now.

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lilmosun, you have done some good clearing out in the past though! I agree that LT can be hard and selling to those used to getting a deal can be especially frustrating.
Sadly, I've only scratched the surface but each time I start, I regret doing so and give up. As you pointed out, I find it is too much work and I quickly give up...can't be bothered given the loss one takes...easier to give away.

My local jeweler will usually give a decent price on gold pieces but his clientele isn't into CS (most of my collection) so he talks about buying my settings and pulling out the stones.

Maybe when I retire, I will have the time and/or look at other venue such as @donnabrsd did.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
God yes.

Right this moment I’d hawk it all, stuff the cash in a backpack, run down the road to the airport and disappear forever.

Only a bad day at work guys. Could be worse.

I do however have a little fantasy of one day calling the Christies or Sotheby’s rep to come and do one of their free at home evaluations and really challenge their rare gemstone knowledge. Given the general jewellery collections found in the U.K. mine would probably raise some eyebrows.

Nothing old or estate but some totally bizarre and unusual combinations of gemstones which you don’t come across every day.

I kind of like the idea of everything going into one sale - “items from the collection of a mental middle aged women with a jewellery obsession - Tunbridge Wells - eclectic tastes catered to”.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the spirit of this thread - I filled several large bags with clothes. Lost track of how many still had tags ;( But I was ruthless: If I haven’t worn it and I can’t see an occasion to wear it off it goes!

It was so much easier than thinking about selling jewellery. And I’m very happy to see the empty closet space :bigsmile: But I don’t get attached to clothes. The shoes will be harder…

I was definitely thinking about this thread as I was doing it :bigsmile:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, and I destashed heavily, downsized to a smaller box of my regular pieces I could keep in my bathroom when I'm dressing and it feels good! I still see things I find pretty, but have been pretty good at not adding. Covid probably helped. Also neither of my daughters are interested in jewelry in general or my pieces in particular. I did put 2 things up for sale that are part of my regular rotation, that's more to free up cash. Most likely they won't sell bc I priced them at what I am ok parting with them...

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
In the spirit of this thread - I filled several large bags with clothes. Lost track of how many still had tags ;( But I was ruthless: If I haven’t worn it and I can’t see an occasion to wear it off it goes!

It was so much easier than thinking about selling jewellery. And I’m very happy to see the empty closet space :bigsmile: But I don’t get attached to clothes. The shoes will be harder…

I was definitely thinking about this thread as I was doing it :bigsmile:

I've already re-homed two additional items of jewelry and working on a few more that I did not sell last year. I'm filling bags of clothes too. Swimwear that would never fit again, let alone no longer appropriate for my age. Sleepwear too; about 20 sets that I no longer wear. Sweatshirts and tanks are next on the hit list.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ionysis, I bet a lot of folks feel that way with the current state of the world!

@seaurchin, these are great goals to keep in mind, the first and second really resonate with me, thanks for sharing them!

@yssie, that’s so great that you cleared out so much. I have some old clothes I’ve been hanging on to (for nearly 10 years!!) that no longer fit, it’s time to let them go. You have inspired me to make that a priority this week.

@partgypsy, I need to get better about not adding or at least be very deliberate and specific about purchases. It’s hard though and of course PS is a wonderful place but it’s also full of ideas and it’s easy to get carried away.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never had a problem getting rid of clothes and shoes, that’s easy. I’m just hoping my granddaughter will want all my jewellery, I’ve just got to wait for her to be born, grow up and show an interest :lol:

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Contemplating selling everything, and I mean house, extra car, jewelry, etc., and starting completely from scratch has crossed my mind as a shower thought, occasionally the fantasy becomes a bit of a daydream now and again.

As for actually selling everything off, that has not crossed my mind as I do not feel I have more than I wear as of yet (aside from a couple necklaces I need to get the clasps fixed so I can wear them again due to having birds as pets and they can destroy a necklace clasp in a nanosecond if you aren't careful). In that mental calculation though, I do not count the half dozen or so CZ rings I've purchased to get a feel for a different style to see if it is something I'd want to add to my collection.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with this. Clothes are one thing -- someone else could be keeping warm and dry in them -- but jewelry is different. It also is small. We do not have a lot of things, by total number, and they take up very little space. We ditched a lot of the boxes (we have almost no "branded" anything so there is no value in the original packaging) and it is is surprisingly little volume. A couple of rings in little leather or suede pouches is not an overwhelming sight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results