Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon - Simple Design / Sourcing Stone Question

PierreBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 21, 2016
Messages
1,260
Hi PS Friends,

I don't mean to beat the horse to death about Leon and have read through the various experiences in the links below but still had some general questions and would appreciate some thoughts. First off, his rings are beautiful to me...something about the proportions or the fluidity that makes even the simple rings seem so different from the others but I've never seen it in person and wonder if it's just better photography etc... Just to provide some background, I'm thinking about a future anniversary ring (not as a RHR look anymore and I think halos are out of the picture now) just as a different set to wear.

- With the complications of Leon being challenging to work with, does that apply to his more simple designs? Like the emerald 411 attached?

- Would there be structural issues with this type of setting since there is some pave work on the basket so I would have to be concerned about pave falling? From my understanding if you have the shank be at least 1.8 mm and is one sided, this should be ok?

- Any thoughts on using the diamond concierge? I asked for a quote and it seemed reasonable but the person responding (not sure if it was Leon or not) has avoided the question about breaking out the setting versus the price. I'm assuming if Leon can make beautiful rings then they would pick a beautiful diamond as well? Or I could do better by other online vendors and asking the wonderful PS group to help??!!

- If anyone has a picture of the emerald 411 in real life on a finger, it would be greatly appreciated!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-leon-mege-engagement-ring.194514/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-leon-mege-engagement-ring.194514/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-mighty-leon-mege.186764/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-mighty-leon-mege.186764/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-has-been-your-experience-with-leon-mege.216033/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-has-been-your-experience-with-leon-mege.216033/[/URL]

Thanks in advance!

emerald_solitaire.png
 

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
1,258
I would never use Leon for any reason at this point based on everything I've read here.

Many other vendors can make that ring.
 

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 10, 2006
Messages
1,062
It would exhaust me to go into all the times I have reached out to Leon over the years, including last week, about numerous things. He was short, his responses lacked content, and he was rude.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,206
I wouldn't let that jerk wash my car.
 

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
May 27, 2013
Messages
641
PB - I can't answer most of your questions because I don't have that setting and I did not use LM's sourcing services, but I can answer that I had no problems working with Leon last summer when we bought an in-stock cushion from him, set in his classic Princessa solitaire setting. He wasn't short with me and answered my list of questions (I'm not in NYC and therefore couldn't stop by to look at everything), never had an attitude. The ring was on time and on budget. Local jewelers and appraisers (and strangers) have commented on the beauty of my OMC and the high craftsmanship of the platinum work.

IMHO, based on the pics I've seen posted on PS, I plan to use LM or Victor Canera for my own future projects.

Best of luck on your journey.
 

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
4,607
I have never worked with Leon but in my opinion his rings are in a class of their own. The proportions are perfect and there is
a fluidity I agree with his pieces that other high end vendors here do not have. A real artist I think.
 

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 2, 2013
Messages
3,084
I don't know who is serving as LM's "diamond concierge"; Perry Chen quit more than a year ago & is working in a very different field now.

I live in NYC so could easily pop in to look at whatever stones they might rustle up. But were I doing this project from afar, I'd be reluctant to work with an unknown concierge (meaning that, so far as I know, no one here has spoken of Perry's replacement), especially for an EC stone.

And although LM apparently sees no advantage for himself in being "transparent" by providing a breakout of a stone cost vs. setting cost, it doesn't sit well with me.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,633
Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch can make that setting just as well as Leon. That is a very simple setting..pave shank with probably basket setting for the stone. I love the idea of a second wedding set! I actually don't wear my right hand rings all that much, and I would love to have more than one diamond ring to alternate on my left hand!

I had a solitaire made by L in the past, and it was set entirely too low. That was not aesthetically pleasing to me at all and I reset my stone to a nice medium height. But I would not use him again due to the many problems people have had with him personally as well as some durability issues with his rings. In fact, the one you just pictured could be a problem if the shank is too thin. Some of his shanks have gone out of round and at least two that I recall had the baskets come apart.
 

PierreBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 21, 2016
Messages
1,260
I love all the responses. Not sure if it was intended to make me laugh, but it brought some levity to this project. I'm forgetting that this whole "ring journey" is a process and not just getting an end product. Thanks for sharing the comments/links/guidance.

Any idea on what this type of setting should cost just to have an expectation to reaching out to the vendors? It looks like $3 to 4 for one-sided and something on the basket?

Also, do you ladies really notice the diamonds on the basket with an emerald setting? I know a RB has more height so you can see it but with the emerald cut, I'm not sure if I would even see it for example when typing on a keyboard? I think it's a nice little surprise but was curious to how often it would be seen.

Thanks in advance!
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,189
SirDiamondGod said:
Best way to do this is to source the diamond from a wholesaler or manufacturer from Antwerp or New York. You will usually get the best price and then take the stone to any jeweler for the setting and design. Its the most cost-effective way I feel and wholesalers in my experience give the best customer service because their margins are so slim as it is so they work extra for every sale!

First of all a wholesaler does not sell to the retail public by definition.
Then we have this logic where a seller is making so little profit, so they work harder than a full service seller who has a greater margin.
Seems to go against logic, no?

Then you suggest taking the stone to "any jeweler"- also an interesting suggestion on a forum where people have come to appreciate the finest work which is surely NOT found at "any jeweler"
 

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
11,608
Pyramid|1461025672|4020939 said:
I have never worked with Leon but in my opinion his rings are in a class of their own. The proportions are perfect and there is
a fluidity I agree with his pieces that other high end vendors here do not have. A real artist I think.
Agreed. He might be a jerk, but I still think he is the best of the best IMO. Many people have said he was actually nice once they started working with him. I think you have to let him do his thing.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,206
SirDiamondGod|1461079242|4021136 said:
Best way to do this is to source the diamond from a wholesaler or manufacturer from Antwerp or New York. You will usually get the best price and then take the stone to any jeweler for the setting and design. Its the most cost-effective way I feel and wholesalers in my experience give the best customer service because their margins are so slim as it is so they work extra for every sale!
Wholesalers do not sell to the public.
Saying so is dishonest.

Buyer beware.
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
20,553
Laila619|1461081259|4021150 said:
Pyramid|1461025672|4020939 said:
I have never worked with Leon but in my opinion his rings are in a class of their own. The proportions are perfect and there is
a fluidity I agree with his pieces that other high end vendors here do not have. A real artist I think.
Agreed. He might be a jerk, but I still think he is the best of the best IMO. Many people have said he was actually nice once they started working with him. I think you have to let him do his thing.
Thritto.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,206
SirDiamondGod|1461082838|4021170 said:
Wholesalers sell to private clients and fill certain demands.

They only cater to pre-qualified buyers, not to window shoppers. Kenny, know your facts before you speak as you are giving incorrect advice, you just might be speaking to a wholesaler :hand: :naughty: :naughty:
screen_shot_2016-04-19_at_9.png
 

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
10,043
I have worked with Leon as a long distance client. Leon was actually quite pleasant and showed a fine sense of humour on the phone. Dealing with the team by mail is a bit meh and do not expect any updates. Leon's eye for proportions is phenomenal. His designs show a very feminine and fluid touch.

If you are willing to let him do his thing you will have a stunning ring. I did not really enjoy their customer service but I do enjoy my gorgeous ring from Leon. I sourced the stone (a Paraiba tourmaline) from his diamond concierge Perry.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,596
SirDiamondGod|1461082838|4021170 said:
Wholesalers sell to private clients and fill certain demands.

They only cater to pre-qualified buyers, not to window shoppers. Kenny, know your facts before you speak as you are giving incorrect advice, you just might be speaking to a wholesaler :hand: :naughty: :naughty:
Can you sell top ideal H&A cuts for 40% back of Rap?
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,633
The "let him do his thing" really has nothing to do with the serious problems people have had. This is not about customers who micromanage.
 

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
4,607
He does have beautiful curved lines though which is not in VC, SK and CVB's etc. work. Sort of a flow and curve and
perfect different proportions and angles. They are all beautiful but Leon's is something else!
 

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 24, 2015
Messages
311
Rockdiamond|1461080763|4021147 said:
SirDiamondGod said:
Best way to do this is to source the diamond from a wholesaler or manufacturer from Antwerp or New York. You will usually get the best price and then take the stone to any jeweler for the setting and design. Its the most cost-effective way I feel and wholesalers in my experience give the best customer service because their margins are so slim as it is so they work extra for every sale!

First of all a wholesaler does not sell to the retail public by definition.
Then we have this logic where a seller is making so little profit, so they work harder than a full service seller who has a greater margin.
Seems to go against logic, no?

Then you suggest taking the stone to "any jeweler"- also an interesting suggestion on a forum where people have come to appreciate the finest work which is surely NOT found at "any jeweler"
This is silly advice.
As someone that was in the 'wholesale' game before shifting to online 'retail' (hey SirDiamondGod note the difference ;-) ), there was a reason we had steel lined walls and double entry man traps into our offices...it wasn't to let just any unknown bloke from off the street into the office... :roll:
A manufacturer or proper wholesaler (not the dodgy retailers calling themselves 'wholesalers') will not let someone from the public past the front door if you don't know someone first.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Handmade diamond studs
    Handmade diamond studs
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top