shape
carat
color
clarity

Leo Diamond - thoughts?

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
My husband and I decided that it was time to "upgrade" the diamond in my engagement ring as the original diamond was a gift from my mother. Due to sentimental value, issues with the prongs, the diamond was chipped during a repair. The diamond from my mother was a .25 carat. I don't know much about it as she has misplaced the paperwork.
We were in Kay's looking a diamond's and we were shown a Leo diamond ring - .48 carats, SI2, F clarity priced at $2,999.99. I said absolutely not. I was able to negotiate for just the diamond at $1,875. We purchased and had it replaced with a platinum head in my engagement ring. It's stunning.
I do notice carbon spots but my husband can not. I have 20/10 vision in contacts. He has no corrected vision.
Something is nagging me because I hear terrible things about the Leo. I'm looking for an honest opinion on this diamond. I can list more info if needed.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
You already set the new stone. You think it looks stunning.

Why are you concerned about public opinion now? Are you looking to confirm you overpaid? Is a return an option?

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
AllieGator:

Can you return the ring you bought? I hate to be harsh but the Leo is a scam, and even at the price you negotiated, the diamond you got is very likely a rip-off (most of these Leo stones are not even GIA certified...).

[edited to remove link!]

For comparison's sake, you can get a bigger diamond of what is most assuredly much, much better quality for less than what you paid:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.508-j-si2-round-diamond-ags-104084591040

Let the experts around here find you a stone. They are great at working in a tight budget!

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
A return is an option. I have it in writing as well.

Did we overpay?

My husband jumped at it. It's a gorgeous stone. I compared it to many others. I feel we did our homework. We spent hours looking at variety of stones in various stores.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it graded by GIA or AGS by any chance? Can you post the crown, pavilion, depth and table for the stone?

With all due respect, if it is not returnable then there is no reason to ask for our opinions.

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
It's IGI.

It's returnableasy. I made very sure of it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A slightly under half CT gia xxx f si2 should run you about a grand.

Now, that's off of gia specs. Your diamond probably doesn't get ex grade, f, si2 if gia graded it. So did you overpay? In my opinion yes at least by half.

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
Worst part is I've fallen in love with it. I looked at other diamonds in store and they didn't compare to the Leo. I'm so confused on what to do.

pr0pel

Rough_Rock
edelweissmaedl|1464136977|4035954 said:
You already set the new stone. You think it looks stunning.

Why are you concerned about public opinion now? Are you looking to confirm you overpaid? Is a return an option?

I agree with what was said above..

If you like what you bought, there's no need to ask for public opinion because the consensus on PS is that mall jewelry isn't the best of the bunch. I say if you two are genuinely happy with the purchase and it looks stunning, go and enjoy it. Coming here and asking about it will generate a ton of "but you can buy a diamond from GOG, WF, BGD" instead, which is what threads end up alluding to.

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the honest replies. I do appreciate it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the same price, you could get a .60 stone (noticeably larger) g color (probably higher than what that stone is) and eye clean (important as you can see that spec on your stone) for the same price.

Yes you like your current stone, but I'm not going to tell you it's fine if I think you could get more for your money.

And I'm not going to say "buy from good old gold, or white flash or Brian Gavin"... as if you're happy with a Leo,i think you'd be happy with any well cut gia graded stone. And you can find them cheaper other places.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You probably overpaid, but you like the stone, right? Not all Leos are bad. I used to own a pretty decent one that certainly sparkled. Up to you if you want to keep it. You can get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

newjourney

Rough_Rock
I learned that if you're able to see the diamond in person and love it then trust your eyes and take comfort in your decision. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to beauty.

Mind clean is important. You've already fallen in love with it so that's all that matters. But I sense that reading all the advice here will further challenge your confidence in this purchase so it's best to return this diamond and restart again.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AllieGator83|1464137757|4035964 said:
Did we overpay?

You didn't just overpay.
You undergot.

Return it.
Bank your refund.
Slow down and read here for a while before shopping.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
AllieGator83 said:
Worst part is I've fallen in love with it. I looked at other diamonds in store and they didn't compare to the Leo. I'm so confused on what to do.

AllieGator83|1464138374|4035970 said:
It's IGI.

It's returnableasy. I made very sure of it.

is the stone returnable or refundable?

there is a big distinction here. Based on what you have posted, returnable sound/ seems to mean exchange. Pls read the fine print to get clarity in the definition of returnable.

if refundable- take the advice that others have recommended and get a refund. Some have posted examples of better diamonds for what PS forums would choose.

if returnable- choose the best one that you have seen in Leo; and, it seems like you have. Yay!!!!

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
I noticed something else as well. I asked to see multiple stones in natural lighting and the jeweler was more than happy to take me outside with each stone to look at them. Upon leaving the mall with the Leo diamond I noticed that the diamond has a slight blue-grey color. Is it picking up the coloring of my white gold setting? Or is this something else?

The Leo diamond was put under a black UV light- it does not floresce. I don't think it matters the quality - I could be wrong. Someone educate. My original diamond from mom floresced chartreuse. It was gorgeous.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
AllieGator83|1464142775|4036001 said:
I noticed something else as well. I asked to see multiple stones in natural lighting and the jeweler was more than happy to take me outside with each stone to look at them. Upon leaving the mall with the Leo diamond I noticed that the diamond has a slight blue-grey color. Is it picking up the coloring of my white gold setting? Or is this something else?

The Leo diamond was put under a black UV light- it does not floresce. I don't think it matters the quality - I could be wrong. Someone educate. My original diamond from mom floresced chartreuse. It was gorgeous.

If it was sunny outside, could just be the diamond reflecting the colour of the sky (or other surroundings).

Eta: sounds like you're pretty happy with your diamond, provided those carbon spots don't bother you. I wish you didn't have to put up with carbon spots, for me, they are intolerable.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My other concern is the inclusions. If its racked with feathers it could be prone to chipping like your last stone.
Did you use your last stone as partial payment for the upgrade?

Can you keep the setting and just put a new stone in it? What do you love about your current stone? We want you to be
happy but we also want you to get your hard earned moneys worth.

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
I saw the inclusions under the scope. While they were there it wasn't a big old mess. There were no inclusions along the edges of the diamond. When looking down at the diamond it's completely eye clean. I noticed the carbon spots when viewed from the side at an angle.

I did not use my previous stone as partial payment. The jeweler didn't push me on it.

I can keep the setting. My engagement ring is soldered into my wedding band enhancer. The center stone is the Leo. I love the way the diamond sparkles. I didn't want anything bigger than .50 and I'm okay with it being. 48.

I can certainly return and get a refund. My fear is returning it and not loving my new diamond as much. I don't want to buy online. I like being able to look at it prior to purchasing.

The other reason we chose this stone is because if the stone chips, cracks or breaks that Kay will replace the stone as long as I keep up with the 6 more maintenance- which is not a problem at all. I know I can insure a stone purchased elsewhere but is the insurance going to cost me more over that time frame?

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
You could do a lot of things....frankly with your comments, my perception of your viewpoint from this thread so far..... I sounds like you are pretty content with your new Kay diamond as is.

Are you willing to return the new diamond, spend time searching based on aset pictures and angle numbers and dimensions? Likely order online and arrange a reset by a local jeweler or mail your ring to an online vendor? If you want insurance, arranging that yourself?

I don't get the impression the information you are receiving is motivating you to educate yourself about what makes a diamond well cut or that you think your diamond is a dud from a 'sparkle' standpoint. You like it, find it sparkly and like the peace of mind the Kay 'warranty' provides. You are not going to get affirmation from this community that an IGI graded diamond from the mall is amazing or that you got a great deal. Most of the time new people come here because they realized they made an unwise purchase, are on fire to learn/educate themselves and want a chance at a 'do over' (or are lucky and found this place first and want to educate themselves from the get go). I don't hear that in your comments. Are you just looking for validation for your purchase or do you really want start over?

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
I want the best for my money. Our budget is $2k on a center diamond - including the platinum setting. I would never tell theveryone jeweler that.

We did look at a loose diamond today in Jared's- I know, I know another mall store.

Specs:
GSI certified
Round
Measurements: 4.97 - 4.88 x 3.16
Weight: .49
Color: F
Clarity: SI2
Good/Good
No treatments

The price - $ 1,800 just the diamond. It's not a Leo.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AllieGator83|1464195633|4036178 said:
I want the best for my money. Our budget is $2k on a center diamond - including the platinum setting. I would never tell theveryone jeweler that.

We did look at a loose diamond today in Jared's- I know, I know another mall store.

Specs:
GSI certified
Round
Good/Good
No treatments

If you truly want the best for your money, neither of these are the best for your money

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
I don't think anyone can give you a true opinion of your stone unless you're able to post the table size, depth, crown and Pavillion angles. Can you post that info or your certificate number? I have seen some nice Leos and I have seen some dud Leos. We really need the numbers to truly be able to help you. Definitely do not consider the Jared stone. Good/Good is not good at all. I guarantee your Leo is better than that stone no matter what the Leo's stats are. If you love the stone you got it doesn't matter if you overpaid or got a great deal and public opinion from helpful strangers also does not matter. If you want a true opinion, good or bad, we need the numbers.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockBrat|1464196669|4036188 said:
I don't think anyone can give you a true opinion of your stone unless you're able to post the table size, depth, crown and Pavillion angles. Can you post that info or your certificate number? I have seen some nice Leos and I have seen some dud Leos. We really need the numbers to truly be able to help you. Definitely do not consider the Jared stone. Good/Good is not good at all. I guarantee your Leo is better than that stone no matter what the Leo's stats are. If you love the stone you got it doesn't matter if you overpaid or got a great deal and public opinion from helpful strangers also does not matter. If you want a true opinion, good or bad, we need the numbers.

Yes you can. You can determine even if it met gia xxx standards for that color and clarity, it's too much money. You can also determine the cert that accompanies that diamond probably wouldn't match a gia cert for the same stone.

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
I posted my specs. The loose diamond from Jared was similar to mine for $1,800. Sorry I wasn't clear. It's hard updating on a phone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AllieGator83|1464195633|4036178 said:

Specs:
GSI certified
Round
Good/Good
No treatments

:knockout: ...Stick with GIA or AGS graded stones and you can forget the rest of the Mickey Mouse gradings labs. The stone is out of round... :knockout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results