shape
carat
color
clarity

Leo Diamond - thoughts?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd consider a stone with an IGI report, especially if issued by e.g., IGI Mumbai, but GSI has a truly dim reputation.

Can you post a copy of the Leo's IGI report & the GemEx report, which should have been supplied as well; that could be useful for more particularised feedback, if you are indeed deliberating as to whether to keep it.

Here's an old thread where a PSer and independent appraiser Richard Sherwood made his appraisal of her Leo diamond available for everyone to see:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/review-of-a-leo-cut.17770/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/review-of-a-leo-cut.17770/[/URL]
Not that your Leo would necessarily fare as well, but it's interesting reading.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
AllieGator83|1464197186|4036190 said:
I posted my specs. The loose diamond from Jared was similar to mine for $1,800. Sorry I wasn't clear. It's hard updating on a phone.

I don't see the numbers posted anywhere, depth, table, crown and Pavillion angles. Are they not included on IGI certs? I haven't seen one in a long time.

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
No that info was not provided.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Only you can tell if you like the stone, if the inclusions are bothering you, return it.
Did you overpay.......big time.
Next time, if there is a next time stay with AGS or GIA certs, also spend time on the forum to learn, look at PS vendors products such as WF or BGD, post the specs and the experts will chime in. I think the consensus here is to stay away from "maul" stores.
Best of luck.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
MollyMalone|1464197294|4036192 said:
Can you post a copy of the Leo's IGI report & the GemEx report, which should have been supplied as well; that could be useful for more particularised feedback, if you are indeed deliberating as to whether to keep it.

This. We need this info. But again if you love your stone none of this matters. To put it into perspective though, I recently bought a pair of earrings. Each individual diamond is slightly over 0.50 ct, GIA certed, H color, VS clarity. I paid a little over $2000 for the pair. However, it doesn't matter if you overpaid if you truly do love it. Don't let public opinion sway you against something you love. Also, Kay/Jared provide good financing and sometimes that can validate overpaying for consumers. There's nothing wrong with that.

chumia00

Rough_Rock
That info will be on the IGI certificate. You have the IGI certificate, right? Kay's should've given it to you.

You can either write down the numbers for us from the report, or you can give the IGI report number and we can try a lookup that way. Or take a picture of the report and upload to here.

Based off all the recent media articles about Kay Jeweler complaints (http://www.wral.com/kay-jewelers-complaints-adding-up-across-the-country/15668498/) I would not use their warranty as a dealbreaker. Not saying you'll have a terrible experience with them, but don't consider it that much of an advantage.

I understand the desire to see a stone in person beforehand, but it's next to impossible to get a quality stone at a good price point out of a place like Kay's or Jared's. You might get a good diamond but you will overpay for that "peace of mind" of seeing it beforehand first. Many here (me included) buy round diamonds online, and we feel 100% comfortable as long as we have all the info beforehand - reports, angles, ASET/idealscope, HD video and images.

If you are happy with your Leo diamond, I recommend closing this thread and continuing on with your enjoyment. No one here is going to tell you that you got a good deal or even that you got a great diamond without the certification/angle info. Comparing strictly diamonds to diamonds, you overpaid but maybe for you the extra 25% price premium is worth seeing the stone in person and having a brick and mortar experience. That's okay. But this is not the right crowd for that mentality.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
**edited by moderator per our policies**. Just curious ... what is the depth %?

PS34one

Rough_Rock
Just an FYI: The Ben Bridge Signature diamond is the exact same cut as the Leo but far better proportions and polish. They are graded by Forevermark IMO much more comparable to AGS or GIA. I suspect the "greyish" your seeing outside is from heavy inclusions like Twinning wisps. Ben Bridge is AGS member and they will give you a warranty if you purchase the mounting and the diamond from them. I think Ben Bridge is a wayyyyy better and more ethical Jeweler than Kay or Jared if you want a store experience but I think you get the best value with one of the online vendors others have suggested here. Im not a fan of the 16 main pavilion but that's just me. I don't know if the BB Signature is stocked below VS2 clarity, it is one of their higher branded items. Leo is typically Si2-I1.
Best to you.

*Edit just to add that the BB signature is way over priced but I thought you might want to know about it anyway. The Leo is overpriced too.

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
Paperwork that came with my Leo.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the dimensions on that card the depth is 64.2%.

That's too deep.
When depth is in the optimum range the light performance will be better.
Plus when it's too deep that means the diameter is too small, so your diamond looks smaller than if it were better cut.

Plus you can't believe the specs from that lab.
The color and clarity is likely worse than the specs you got ... which means you overpaid.

I repeat the recommendation to return it for a full refund and start over after learning about cut.

I realize you like it, but that's because you haven't seen better cut.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockBrat|1464197942|4036195 said:
AllieGator83|1464197186|4036190 said:
I posted my specs. The loose diamond from Jared was similar to mine for $1,800. Sorry I wasn't clear. It's hard updating on a phone.

I don't see the numbers posted anywhere, depth, table, crown and Pavillion angles. Are they not included on IGI certs? I haven't seen one in a long time.

Most Leos don't have anything more than table and total depth on the cert as far as cut goes. I know mine didn't.

molldoll64

Rough_Rock
If your happy with your ring thats all that matters. The opinions of people here will tell you to return it for a better quality ring. Since you don't want to go the online route since a lot of the good places that are highly reccommended on here are online sites. I think it's best to stick with what you have especially since your happy with it. My brother bought his wife her engagement ring from jareds and she has a leo diamond and she is very happy with her ring and her diamond. My advice is since your happy with it i would go with your original choice, because looking for a new ring with a better diamond can get complicated if you don't know what you are doing and you could easily avoid that hassle by staying with the ring you are already happy with. Best of luck :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm only saying this because you said you want the best you can get for your money.

For your $2K budget, including setting, I would get the following:

In two seconds, or as fast as I could enter my credit card info:
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/z9qd6u-0.505-i-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

And maybe have David Klass make a simple plain 4 prong setting. Or maybe Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds will set the stone for you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
molldoll64|1464204770|4036238 said:
If your happy with your ring thats all that matters.

Maybe not.

What if she some day sees one that is better cut and it hits her she could have had that on her finger ... and for less money to boot?

What if she some day wants to sell it and finds out she'll get pennies on the dollar.
Then it will really sink in that her diamond likely has bogus grades, poor cut and and worse she even overpaid for it ... compared to paying a fair price for a more desirable diamond?

Sure, all diamonds are hard for a private party to sell, diamonds are not good investments, but one with a GIA report and better cut will sell faster and for more than what she has.

These are some reasons 'being happy with your ring' is not all that matters.

I'd never mention all this after the sale if the OP didn't ask for honest opinions and state that she can return it.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1464205095|4036241 said:
I'm only saying this because you said you want the best you can get for your money.

For your $2K budget, including setting, I would get the following:

In two seconds, or as fast as I could enter my credit card info:
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/z9qd6u-0.505-i-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

And maybe have David Klass make a simple plain 4 prong setting. Or maybe Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds will set the stone for you.

WOW! GREAT FIND!

AllieGator83

Rough_Rock
I looked at other diamonds - GIA certified with the same qualities as the Leo. I understand how different cut diamonds can showcase their beauty. We did see a diamond that is comparable to the Leo. There is just something about it - it's eye catching. I know the Leo get a bad rap and it's overpriced but it's gorgeous!

We took it to our local mom and pop jeweler to take a peek and explained the situation. He confirmed eye clean. He said that he agrees with the cert it came with meaning on the color and clarity

pr0pel

Rough_Rock
AllieGator83|1464213958|4036266 said:
I looked at other diamonds - GIA certified with the same qualities as the Leo. I understand how different cut diamonds can showcase their beauty. We did see a diamond that is comparable to the Leo. There is just something about it - it's eye catching. I know the Leo get a bad rap and it's overpriced but it's gorgeous!

We took it to our local mom and pop jeweler to take a peek and explained the situation. He confirmed eye clean. He said that he agrees with the cert it came with meaning on the color and clarity

Then at this point, call it a day and enjoy your ring. There's no point entertaining any further comments since it seems you have already made up your mind.

chumia00

Rough_Rock

It's clear you're attached to this diamond and want to keep it. Again, I recommend closing this thread - no one here can tell you that it's a good deal or even a good diamond. But as long as you like the diamond, why seek further validation? I don't think anything that anyone says here is going to really change your mind anyway.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chumia00|1464217945|4036292 said:

It's clear you're attached to this diamond and want to keep it. Again, I recommend closing this thread - no one here can tell you that it's a good deal or even a good diamond. But as long as you like the diamond, why seek further validation? I don't think anything that anyone says here is going to really change your mind anyway.
Nope, not till she look at some really well cut stones... ;))

chumia00

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1464220052|4036298 said:
chumia00|1464217945|4036292 said:

Nope, not till she look at some really well cut stones... ;))

Yep. But she won't find that comparison in a Kay's, Jared's, or mom and pop mortar store. GIA XXX doesn't mean anything these days. She'd need to live close to someone like Whiteflash, BGD, IDJ, etc. I'm sure many Leo diamonds look great next to duds....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results