shape
carat
color
clarity

Learning how to use the ASET scope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m trying to figure out how to use my new ASET scope on an asscher. (rounds are easy to position.)
I went to Garry’s website and read the instructions but still have questions about tilt in an asscher.

I have questions both about using the ASET hand-held, and using it for photography.

One thing I quickly learned is that the asscher is VERY sensitive to tilt.
At one tilt I see tons of blue.
If I tilt it very slightly and I see tons of red.
Tilt it a little more and I can get tons of green.

So how do I know when I have it tilted correctly?
Do I tilt it to get max red? or max blue? or max green?
Or do I ignore the colors and tilt it to get each of the four sides of the squares to be equal in shape and or color?
Or is it standard practice to just tilt it to see the most red? - which I have read here indicates a well-cut asscher.

Is the first pic the correct way to position the light for hand-held use, with light entering the pavilion? (I realize the stone is not centered in pic.)
Should the stone be moved till it is in best focus?

When photographing ASET images should the girdle be even with the bottom edge of the ASET scope?
Or should the table be even with the bottom of the scope?
Does it matter?

DSC_4-1.jpg

DSC_0008-3.jpg

I drilled a hole in plexiglass sized so the girdle is even with the bottom of the ASET scope
DSC_0010-3.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

I've been trying to photograph the ASET image but can’t for the life of me get it into focus, or even into view.
HELP!

DSC_8.jpg

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 10:43:14 PM
Author:kenny

Then I tilt is very slightly and I see tons of red.

So how do I know when I have it tilted correctly?

Does it matter?
Try to keep it tilted very slightly.

(Kidding; reminds me of a tailor joke I don''t quite remember).

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Tilt it so you see the red! Then set it that way...
31.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry has posted a series of ASET pics posted here from a tilt of zero to 45 degrees.
I realize these are computer generated, and I am in the real physical world.
But there must be some way to know when you are at zero tilt.

And isn't my avatar at zero tilt?
Or is this at that "slightly tilted" position I keep reading about?

Is this magic position also the position storm keeps mentioning when looking at normal (not ASET) pics of asschers?

Oh, and why are there more than three colors in the computer-generated images? (How did they get orange?)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 10:54:15 PM
Author: :)
31.gif

Izzy goes to a local tailor to have the final fitting on a custom-made suit. Right away, he notices that the right sleeve is too long.

"Ehhh, don''t worry about it," says the tailor. "Look, you just hold your arm out in front of you and crook a little like this, and see? It''s perfect!"

"Yeah, but the left leg is too long," Izzy moaned. It''s dragging on the floor. I could trip over it."

"Not to worry. Just bend your knee a little, like this, and it will ride up just enough to cut right at the ankle."

"OK, fine," Izzy laments, "but look at the collar! It''s way up around my ears."

"That''s nothing! Come here. Hunch your shoulders up a little. No, a little more… Now look at yourself in the mirror! Did you see such a well-fitting suit?"

And so, all krinked up, Izzy pays the tailor and, wearing his new suit, limps out of the shop into the street, looking like a pretzel. He nearly runs into two old ladies.

"That poor man!" whispers one to the other.

"Yeah, but what a magnificent suit!"

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
you have to have backlighting with side lighting like you have there you will never get the image right.
There should be min light striking the sides of the cone.

From there lining it up is a matter of knowing what to look for.
On the finger the eye does it automaticaly.
The windmills lead the eye to the center and and the eye/brain lines it up.

The table needs to be dead flat and even with the mouth to just barely slightly in the scope.

To use your setup put difused light under a clear flat surface and set your tray on top.

Then the focus issue is going to be a matter of trial and error.
You may have to make a black paper tunnel and back the lens off some from the scope.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/21/2006 10:54:15 PM
Author: :)
31.gif

LOL

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/21/2006 10:58:16 PM
Author: kenny
Garry has posted a series of ASET pics posted here from a tilt of zero to 45 degrees.
I realize these are computer generated, and I am in the real physical world.
But there must be some way to know when you are at zero tilt.

And isn''t my avatar at zero tilt?
Or is this at that ''slightly tilted'' position I keep reading about?

Is this magic position also the position storm keeps mentioning when looking at normal (not ASET) pics of asschers?

Oh, and why are there more than three colors in the computer-generated images? (How did they get orange?)
Hey Ken,

You''re avatar is at "0" tilt as it''s generated from a model based scan. When you have the pavilion positioned so the diamond is in the face up view and is even you should get a perfect to near perfect shot. That is if you can focus on it.
5.gif
BTW, quite a lens setup you got there. Very nice. It looks like you also have the girdle position right too. The bottom or seat of the aset should be right at the girdle. I look forward to seeing how well you get the shot when you get it focused.

I may be tough to contact this week (except personally) but as I find time I''ll hop on here if I can help.

Peace,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Too funny Ira.
37.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/22/2006 2:18:04 AM
Author: Rhino

Hey Ken,

You're avatar is at '0' tilt as it's generated from a model based scan. When you have the pavilion positioned so the diamond is in the face up view and is even you should get a perfect to near perfect shot.
Peace,
Point of order Rhino - the scanned image is table based - the pavilion on Kenny's stone is ever so slightly out of alignement with the table - biut the scanned stone is always resting face down on the table so it becomes the reference plane.

The ASET image when the stone sits pavilion centered in a hole (assuming the hole is cenentered and verticle and the stone sits right) is more accurate than a table centered image or scan because a degree or so out in table is far less important than 0.2 degrees of pavilion angle variation.

Kenny ASET will tell you about light return and give some idea of wishing well contrast pattenrs.

But you are now obsessing obsessively and need to e locked up with Pyramid for 2 weeks solitaire with 1/2 a pack of cards.

For brightness crawl all over the IS website and understand what we show with princess cuts being moved about in the ASET reference chart with the pretty video's

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Garry,

Thanks for that input.

Makes me ponder more about AGS grade because AGS'' grade (and official ASET imagery as generated in the PGS) is based on a table down scan.

Peace,

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kenny; You are doing a great job with the fancy lens and camera and should be able to get a crisp image eventually. I am concerned that ASET images are being given the credence of a "grade" setting device instead of an excellent screening device. The Ideal-Scope is a great screening device and its related images are handy as a reference. There are far fewer variables in the two color images from I-S than the multi-colored images from the ASET. The number of complex variables from the ASET is way beyond a simple situation. When one sees certain characteristic color patterns and placements, one can make reasonably certain assumptions about the diamond, but it is not a "grade", but a screening tool.

It is what it is, not more. The images are educational and the use of the ASET and I-S as screening devices are very practical. Neither tool is a grading tool. It would take a lot of proof to show certain repeatability in reading the instrument that can't be done with hand held devices and the human eye. I like these tools a lot, but people are starting to think eye assessement is grading where it really is screening.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well said Dave - I have been asked by labs to make ideal-scope images into grades - and it does not really work - the image needs interpretation and i dont agree that anyone can make them into a 5 quality grade system.

Kenny try a simple camera - it will work better - the little canon Ixus on the left here is the best type of camera
http://ideal-scope.com/newsletters_issue008.asp

And just use the liittle $30 ideal-light
Rerely is the difference between the table - vs girdle alignment such a big deal as it only makes minor adjustments in color / light position

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
One point I have not read much but believe in is the significant impact inclusion pattern has on the IS image. I have seen a rb stud I2, full of tiny snowy white dots all over the table. Yet the IS image is perfectly red and pink with minimum white. I believe in this case the inclusion effect is the same as the "dirt" effect. So from naked eyes it is very milky and dull, but from IS it is as beautiful as it gets.

I wonder how an included stone like that will impact ASET image?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry wrote, "But you are now obsessing obsessively and need to e locked up with Pyramid for 2 weeks solitaire with 1/2 a pack of cards."

Hey Garry, are you going to let us out for Christmas?
Pyramid's starting to get on my nerves.
9.gif

jail.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results