shape
carat
color
clarity

Lazare Diamond-Price aside, are the specifications worth it?

bcs

Rough_Rock
Dear all,

This is my first post and would really treasure and value your views here.

I am currently shopping for my proposal ring and have browsed through several rocks at my local Lazare store.

As expected, the rocks were well within the Tolkowsyki Ideal Cut proportions.
1. Table 57%
2. Crown Angle 35 degrees
3. Pavilion Angle 41 degrees
4. Depth 62.1%

However, what concerns me is the deep cut of the Lazare which shows in the depth %. For this particular rock, the HCA value is 2.4 with Very Good for Light Return, Fire, Scintillation & Spread. Although the HCA tool is not to be used for selection but for filtering possible bad choices, I am not too comfortable with the > 2 score. I suspect that this is due in part, to the characteristic deep cut of the Lazare.

Would there be any expert views on the Lazare, and if the HCA should apply to such a cut? I doubt that the store would do a manual search for HCA < 2 rocks for me. I managed to find 3 rocks within my budget (i would prefer to leave price out of the equation as I really like to evaluate the rocks based on technicalities alone) and the HCA values were consistently > 2 and depth % > 62%. I also understand that a deep cut translates into a smaller diameter rock after setting.

I also understand that my assessment is lacking as I do not possess an Ideal nor an ASET scope.

Your comments, please!

Cheers
Arthur

bcs

Rough_Rock
Re: Lazare Diamond-Price aside, are the specifications worth

Any advice from the experts please?

Cheers

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't think this stone is overly deep - it is certainly within the depth parameter that is recommended here. You got a lower HCA score because of the 41% pavilion angle. It really dings stones over 41%.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

MissGotRocks|1446114764|3943336 said:
You got a lower HCA score because of the 41% pavilion angle. It really dings stones over 41%.

Well, maybe it dings stones with a pavilion over 41% if they don't have a complementary crown angle. OP, it's all about how the numbers interact with each other. My diamond has a pavilion angle of 41.2 and gets a 1.8 on the HCA. It has a low crown angle to compensate.

But to answer your question, no, that particular branded diamond is not better than other well-cut diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results