shape
carat
color
clarity

Lavender spinel

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... back to the stone... lol Yes, very happy with the color, clarity, and size! I searched a looooong time for this shade of spinel. As for the cut, I suppose none of my gems is perfect. And I have no intention of chancing the stone dipping below 3ct. to recut it.

What I don't understand is this... why hand a fine crystal off to someone at the mine for a rushed cut? How much can quality cutting cost in Vietnam for a volume wholesaler? I'd have gladly paid the full $13k for this gem if it had a precision cut. So I just don't understand the logic. Anyway, thank you for the lovely comments, my friend!

Do you think this was the best they could do to maximise carat weight?

I have nooooooo idea about cutting but I assume there are trade offs or whatever and they decided this was the best they could do.

That said over the years, native cuts have really improved and are nothing like native cuts when I first got into CS! Some of the stuff was super hacked up! These days they actually look decent! Not precision but no wacky proportions and are reasonably symmetrical.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Great colour and clarity and pretty good cut.

Note that none of the following is intended as damning with faint praise. It's a beautiful stone. Just some thoughts that more knowledgeable people might add to.

So... back to the stone... lol Yes, very happy with the color, clarity, and size! I searched a looooong time for this shade of spinel. As for the cut, I suppose none of my gems is perfect. And I have no intention of chancing the stone dipping below 3ct. to recut it.

I suspect that that's also what the 'native' cutter thought! Which may be why the stone is cut as it is. For example, to remove the open bottom, the stone might have to be made narrower. This would cost weight. It would also make the stone even narrower in proportion to its length. This might be 'fixed' by reducing the length. But that would cost even more weight. So maybe the cutter did the best s/he could with rough s/he had.

The darker, more strongly coloured ends and the lighter paler middle are common in pears. This is no doubt related to the light path length in the stone. Is there any good solution to this? (Other than cutting 'fatter' rather than 'thinner' pears.)

Sensitivity to path length surely depends on the absorption spectrum of the stone. For example, in 'white' diamonds, path length is irrelevant. In an 'ideal' coloured stone, with sharp-edged bands of zero absorption and complete absorption, path length would also be irrelevant. I suspect that some yellow diamonds may come close to this. But if there is absorption at all wavelengths, or the absorption varies slowly with wavelength, or the difference between maximum and minimum absorption is not great, path length will matter. I suspect that all these things apply to your stone. So again, maybe the cutter did the best s/he could with the rough.

Full disclosure: I don't own any pears. So this is a bit academic to me. But it's interesting that some pears are look much better than others. Why is it so?

It may be worth experimenting with some shiny metal under the blunt end and middle.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone! I’m so glad the wire transfer worked out for you. Congratulations!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! Since the cutting defects are fairly minimal, I wonder if a clever ring design would (optically) right them?

It would be at this point that I'd start rummaging through the kitchen cabinets for the aluminum foil. :lol:

The window is tiny, it wouldn't bother me. Such a tiny window is usually unnoticeable even on skin, you have to hold the stone up to look through it or place it on black background to see it.

The bowtie is... would it be weird to say it has an attractive shape? I wonder what being surrounded by reflective material might do for its colour. It doesn't need much to look perfect, to be honest.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s lovely! I like the elongated shape it’s very elegant

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
OoOoh, you bah-rave, and I'm impressed!
It's beautiful and I'm so happy it's everything you were searching for! The cut is just fine, in fact, it's unique in a way that will make it look super boutique once set.
I can't wait to help you bounce ideas, it's going to be fun.:love:

Do you think this was the best they could do to maximise carat weight?

I have nooooooo idea about cutting but I assume there are trade offs or whatever and they decided this was the best they could do.

That said over the years, native cuts have really improved and are nothing like native cuts when I first got into CS! Some of the stuff was super hacked up! These days they actually look decent! Not precision but no wacky proportions and are reasonably symmetrical.

Yeah, that's a great point. It's possible! Perhaps the rough was a weird shape or had less-than-ideal proportions or inclusions they wanted to cut away. She'd just be so perfect with a better cut!!

Great colour and clarity and pretty good cut.

Note that none of the following is intended as damning with faint praise. It's a beautiful stone. Just some thoughts that more knowledgeable people might add to.

I suspect that that's also what the 'native' cutter thought! Which may be why the stone is cut as it is. For example, to remove the open bottom, the stone might have to be made narrower. This would cost weight. It would also make the stone even narrower in proportion to its length. This might be 'fixed' by reducing the length. But that would cost even more weight. So maybe the cutter did the best s/he could with rough s/he had.

The darker, more strongly coloured ends and the lighter paler middle are common in pears. This is no doubt related to the light path length in the stone. Is there any good solution to this? (Other than cutting 'fatter' rather than 'thinner' pears.)

Sensitivity to path length surely depends on the absorption spectrum of the stone. For example, in 'white' diamonds, path length is irrelevant. In an 'ideal' coloured stone, with sharp-edged bands of zero absorption and complete absorption, path length would also be irrelevant. I suspect that some yellow diamonds may come close to this. But if there is absorption at all wavelengths, or the absorption varies slowly with wavelength, or the difference between maximum and minimum absorption is not great, path length will matter. I suspect that all these things apply to your stone. So again, maybe the cutter did the best s/he could with the rough.

Full disclosure: I don't own any pears. So this is a bit academic to me. But it's interesting that some pears are look much better than others. Why is it so?

It may be worth experimenting with some shiny metal under the blunt end and middle.

This was such an informative post and immensely helpful, Star! And I suspect it is also 100% accurate. Thank you! I'm starting to accept that perhaps for me to find "my" color, this stone had to travel on the cutting path that it did. Maybe this was as good as it was going to get.

What a beautiful stone! I’m so glad the wire transfer worked out for you. Congratulations!

Thank you, my friend! I'm glad you like it!! I spent some time with the stone on my lunch break, and I've come to feel that the color is probably as fine as this material produces (IMO). Every other one I purchased (and returned) became a corpse in daylight. This one never grays, goes steely, or veers periwinkle (blue). It's a true lavender in my book. I appreciate your help throughout this thread!!

It would be at this point that I'd start rummaging through the kitchen cabinets for the aluminum foil. :lol:

The window is tiny, it wouldn't bother me. Such a tiny window is usually unnoticeable even on skin, you have to hold the stone up to look through it or place it on black background to see it.

The bowtie is... would it be weird to say it has an attractive shape? I wonder what being surrounded by reflective material might do for its colour. It doesn't need much to look perfect, to be honest.

devilspaz.gif

Sometimes I look at her and think I'm being silly... but other times I feel like she was this close to being "perfect." And that irritates my OCD. Could I have found this color in a better shape/cut? Well, I hadn't in the past 5+ years. And I went through a dozen stones that looked promising.

So here's the strange thing - the tilt window worsens with a lighter or reflective background. Odd! It all but disappears with a dark background. I'm wondering if simply closing the perimeter of the gallery will do the trick.

OoOoh, you bah-rave, and I'm impressed!
tumblr_njn4kjCSHe1qedb29o1_500.gif
It's beautiful and I'm so happy it's everything you were searching for! The cut is just fine, in fact, it's unique in a way that will make it look super boutique once set.
I can't wait to help you bounce ideas, it's going to be fun.:love:

Thank you for the encouragement (and giggle), love!!

I took some more pix... it was after 6p on the US east coast, so take that for what it's worth. I really couldn't ask for more out of the color. It's exactly what I was after all this time. I suppose that's why I took a risk... I just felt it in my gut.

Natural (indirect) light in the middle of the room:

thumbnail_20240503_164445 (1).jpg

thumbnail_20240503_164753 (1).jpg

In front of the window, but still indirect:

thumbnail_20240503_165501 (1).jpg

Dim natural light:

thumbnail_20240503_164631 (1).jpg

Caught this weird shot and figured I should share it too (the stone sort of "closed" when backlit near the window):

thumbnail_20240503_165215 (1).jpg

Direct sun (cleaned it with a tissue beforehand and forgot to remove the fiber specks... the stone doesn't have any "sugar"):

thumbnail_20240503_165045 (1).jpg

thumbnail_20240503_165252 (1).jpg

Indoor lighting (you can see how she shifts pinkish... cheeky girl):

thumbnail_20240503_165531 (1).jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the cut! The steps are very pretty and pleasing to the eye. The open keel looks like a culet. She's an old fashioned lady, clearly.

Honestly, I don't even see the bowtie in these photos. The cutting looks perfectly acceptable.

The bowtie is admittedly very minor, and I found myself not even noticing it when photographing the stone in various lighting. It's the nature of the beast with any pear. But there is a decent tilt window in person. So you either have the open culet head-on or the tilt window when turned. Take your pick. :lol: The color is so good though, that I'm just going to overlook any cutting flaws. But before I drop the issue, lol, I have to say this... not ONE facet joint lines up. Like, you'd think even by mistake you'd get a single proper alignment out of hundreds of facets. Ok, I'm done and just going to enjoy her now!

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
I took some more pix... it was after 6p on the US east coast, so take that for what it's worth. I really couldn't ask for more out of the color. It's exactly what I was after all this time. I suppose that's why I took a risk... I just felt it in my gut.

Natural (indirect) light in the middle of the room:

thumbnail_20240503_164445 (1).jpg

thumbnail_20240503_164753 (1).jpg

In front of the window, but still indirect:

thumbnail_20240503_165501 (1).jpg

Dim natural light:

thumbnail_20240503_164631 (1).jpg

Caught this weird shot and figured I should share it too (the stone sort of "closed" when backlit near the window):

thumbnail_20240503_165215 (1).jpg

Direct sun (cleaned it with a tissue beforehand and forgot to remove the fiber specks... the stone doesn't have any "sugar"):

thumbnail_20240503_165045 (1).jpg

thumbnail_20240503_165252 (1).jpg

Indoor lighting (you can see how she shifts pinkish... cheeky girl):

thumbnail_20240503_165531 (1).jpg

Such a lovely stone!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is a dream, so beautiful. The color and clarity are amazing and I like the cut very much.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you absolutely nailed it! That is the most beautiful color and it really shifts with indoor lighting. And I think the cutting looks stunning. I bet that because of the cutting, it throws off sparks of blue, violet, rose and blush pink - or at least that's my theory as to its cutting. Drop Dead Gorgeous!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock

This is so beautiful!! You are very brave and it paid off :)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well done -- gorgeous color! And an inspiring leap of faith!

I think I saw that pop up on IG and almost posted it here but I knew you would not need my help! But it was a similar hue and tone and with that beautiful and very distinctive outline!

She is a dream, so beautiful. The color and clarity are amazing and I like the cut very much.

Thank you for saying so, my friend!

I think you absolutely nailed it! That is the most beautiful color and it really shifts with indoor lighting. And I think the cutting looks stunning. I bet that because of the cutting, it throws off sparks of blue, violet, rose and blush pink - or at least that's my theory as to its cutting. Drop Dead Gorgeous!

I respect your opinion immensely, so I'm happy to hear that!
trampo.gif

She is so elegant and dreamy! :kiss2:

I'm nosey and neeeed her story! Where did you find her, what made you decide to take a chance on the buyer and wire, etc.?

Not nosy at all... of course! I was referred by a contact in Bangkok to another in Shenzhen and finally to the source in Luc Yen.
chute.gif
They felt the stone's color was something special, and said these gems rarely leave Asia, because lavender shades are so highly regarded there. So sometimes you just can't wait for a stone to make it to an int'l gem hub, trade show, or the US. Anyway, I trusted what I heard and saw. It could have gone sideways, but I'm just relieved it worked out. She's not perfect, but I'm thrilled.

Autumn, I've never seen anyting like that spinel. The color! And I find the cut "perfectly imperfect" in my uneducated opinion. It is a chunk of change, but it looks like a winter sunset captured in a stone. Stunning.

I'm such a sucker for word pictures, and you painted a beautiful one here! A winter sunset...
love1.gif
I think I'm setting her in rose gold too, so maybe that will add to the effect. lol Thank you!
This is so beautiful!! You are very brave and it paid off :)

Brave because it paid off, but I would have been the world's biggest mutt if I got ripped off.
egads.gif
All's well that ends well, I suppose. Thank you!

Well done -- gorgeous color! And an inspiring leap of faith!

Thank you, sir! I finally had an actual day to spend with her. Trying to plan her dress now.
461745c4zwglu3s4.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results