shape
carat
color
clarity

Lavender Spinel Reset!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of you know the story of how I accidentally came into a lavender spinel. The short story is I bought this ring off LT as a sapphire and when I brought it to a gemologist to have it checked out it turned out not to be a sapphire at all but a natural spinel! This was actually a good thing because I had been looking for the perfect lavender spinel to no avail and yet here it was. I absolutely adore this ring. She looks sexy in all lighting going from a rather intense purple to the loveliest light periwinkle.

Essentially I bought this for the amazing 7mm precision cut spinel because the setting was a little out there for me. I reset it into this eight prong white gold Stuller setting. Here are some pictures:

First the old setting:

IMG_6600.JPG

And the final result!

IMG_6616.JPG IMG_6617.JPG IMG_6618.JPG IMG_6676.JPG IMG_6678.JPG IMG_6679.JPG IMG_6696.JPG IMG_6698.JPG IMG_6700.JPG

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YESSSSSSS!!!! This is exactly what I would have done too & it's BEAUTIFUL! :kiss2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YESSSSSSS!!!! This is exactly what I would have done too & it's BEAUTIFUL! :kiss2:

You know what's funny is I was going to do a fancier setting but then I picked this one and when I looked in the jewelry box almost all my rings are solitaires! It's just what I like I guess.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE this!! Can I ask who did the setting? Gorgeous choices here - well done!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b that is a sincere compliment coming from someone with such an amazing jewelry collection, thank you so much.

The setting is from Stuller in 14k white gold, I had a local jeweler set it. The model # for the setting is 124137.

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! The setting shows off the lovely stone very well.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful @StephanieLynn ! I love the color and cut on the spinel! The setting shows it off very nicely!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think that the new setting makes the stone looks so much prettier. It's a great makeover!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the reset! The cut and color are amazing!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good-bye, Sputnik. Hello, Gorgeous!

I love it!! I really like the details on the setting, particularly the taper towards the stone and the profile carving. It looks terrific.

(You know I'll want to try it on, the next time we get together!! :bigsmile:)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like the reset really made it all about that gorgeous cut and color. The setting was the perfect choice and I love the 8 prong look. :kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sputnic
you've had a transformation
i did love it before but its probably a lot more wearable and versatile now
she is a beauty
what did you do with the old setting ?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the new setting! It looks great. And the stone of course is fantastic. I love how you just stumbled into it - sometimes the things we were looking for have a funny way of coming around to us.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much @elle_71125, Stuller doesn't have a lot of eight prong settings which is fine because you could get lost in all the choices!

@Daisys and Diamonds, yeah this is much more me, plus if you look at the pictures closely you could see the outline of the cup around the stone which really bugged me. First world problems you know! Bron expressed interest in the Sputnik setting so she will get first right of refusal.

I know isn't that so funny @distracts? I really searched high and low for that perfect color and then there it was!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful outcome- Lovely setting for a beautiful stone!
In looking at the Sputnik setting, do you think this spinel was original to it? It does look like maybe it was made for a cushion shape?

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one gorgeous spinel. I love it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful outcome- Lovely setting for a beautiful stone!
In looking at the Sputnik setting, do you think this spinel was original to it? It does look like maybe it was made for a cushion shape?

Maybe you can help me figure this out. It definitely looks misshapen to me and if you tilt your head left or right that's how it looks like this basket (is that the right word?) was originally intended. Almost like they rotated it to fit this halo. Very strange. Thank you for your lovely compliments I do love the stone so much more out of this setting.

ETA: I don't think the spinel is original, I just think the setting is mid-century or 60-70's and the spinel is newer, could be wrong though.
IMG_6714.JPG IMG_6715.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @CHRISTY-DANIELLE can't wait to see your new amazing OEC ring when it's finished!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@StephanieLynn girl, you know it's killing me to be apart from my holy grail! I cannot wait either! Sent final tweaks on final cad tonight. This is going to be the hardest wait yet!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn girl, you know it's killing me to be apart from my holy grail! I cannot wait either! Sent final tweaks on final cad tonight. This is going to be the hardest wait yet!

How long until you have it on hand? I was going to write "in hand" but on is so much more appropriate. That diamond is freaking amazing.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I saw Amy last week and she suggested I might want to see the cast ring before the diamonds are set. She's going to send it to me. So that will be a delay, (but she knows I'm freakin' picky about my bezels). I'm hoping a month? They have to get my oec sidestones custom cut, so that takes time too.
It will be worth it, but ugh, so hard to wait.
I just need to keep distracted with everyone elses bling!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you can help me figure this out. It definitely looks misshapen to me and if you tilt your head left or right that's how it looks like this basket (is that the right word?) was originally intended. Almost like they rotated it to fit this halo. Very strange. Thank you for your lovely compliments I do love the stone so much more out of this setting.

ETA: I don't think the spinel is original, I just think the setting is mid-century or 60-70's and the spinel is newer, could be wrong though.
IMG_6714.JPG IMG_6715.JPG
can we put something fun back in the empty ring ?
i just love me some sputnic

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds if Bron passes you can buy it and put whatever fun stone you want in it! :lol: This setting is just not my jam.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the new setting really suits your lovely spinel. I like how you are wearing it paired with a vintage band.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
What an outstanding spinel! I love the colour and the faceting. Crazy and somehow ironic that you bought something and it ended up being what you were looking for all along without knowing at the time of buying!

It looks really lovely in the new setting, excellent reformation! Congratulations! :D

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @LisaRN and @Lykame, it really is crazy to find a spinel in the color and with a great cut just by accident is really kind of amazing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results