shape
carat
color
clarity

Latest acquisitions :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have some eye candy to share - I have been on a bit of a buying spree lately :). I'll probably start this thread off with a couple of recent buys for now, and then (maybe tomorrow) add some pics of additional gems I recently acquired , plus a gorgeous little emerald ring I got last month from Yvonne Raley.

Bear with me, as this is long, but I wanted to share my experience bc it was great :)

I've wanted a really good quality, slightly larger (1+ ct), round mahenge spinel for ages. I've posted many pics in the past of my mahenge collection, and I've owned some stunners, but they've almost all been on the small side. (All but one has been under one carat, ranging from the 4 mm range to 5.5 mm. I have one oval that is 1.96 cts, 8.5 x 6.5 mm, but I've been dying for a bigger round. Like many other collectors, rounds have always remained my favorite cut). Before buying this gem, all of my mahenges have come from Yvonne - but she had told me a few months or so ago that it was slim pickings, and that she just had ovals (except for one larger 3+ ct that was out of my range). Since I already had my 1.96 ct oval from her, and I had to have this gem be a round, I ventured further afield :)

Well - round, saturated, well cut, clean, 1+ carat mahenges can be (as many of us know) pretty hard to find, lol! I've been looking for awhile. This gem is the most expensive gem I've bought to date, and I know that I paid a premium for the rarity of it. I'm pretty thrilled to have it, though. It still isn't as large as I *wish* it was, but it's as large as I'll probably ever be able to afford. And it is large enough to stand on its own as a solitaire, IMO.

It is 1.58 cts, 7 mm round. It does have a touch of orange hue to it, which I've stayed away from in the past. However, I saw a gorgeous mahenge here on PS that had an orange modifier (if I remember right it belongs to Xrisus, I think it came from Yvonne Raley - I really regretted not buying it myself!!), and ever since then I've been much more lenient towards orange modifiers.

This gem is interesting bc it can show itself as very pink, very red, a mix of both, and of course the orange pinkish red as well, which it probably shows most often. I've taken pics showing all of its personalities, and IMO all of these pics are accurate. Depending on lighting conditions it can really vary a great deal. I happen to like this gem in just about every scenario though :)

I got it from Julia at JuliaBJewelry (on etsy). I've followed her etsy store with great interest since she started it. I've always admired her excellent eye for gems, but at first her settings (although beautiful) weren't really so much to my personal taste. However, as my tastes have evolved, I've found that many of her settings have begun to be very appealing to me. She had this mahenge in her collection, not listed in her store, and I "found" it by inquiring as to whether she might have something. The reason I even thought to ask is bc she has several gorgeous mahenge pieces available in her etsy store. I was hoping that she might have a gem squirreled away that would fit my criteria - and in a stroke of luck for me, she actually did! I messaged her asking for a "1-2 ct mahenge, minimum 7 mm, round, strongly saturated pinkish red, if possible Portuguese cut" - and she actually had exactly that, lol!!! Even the Portuguese cut!

I think she had had this one for awhile, and she said that she was hanging onto it - she may not ever have offered it for sale. So I feel lucky to have it!

Julia also said that she has a ton of loose gems not listed on etsy. Lots of sapphires and spinels, and I think she actually said "hundreds" of loose gems that aren't listed. So if anyone is looking for something, she could be a great place to start. However, she prefers not to be a gem dealer per se, she really wants to sell gems and set them herself in her custom settings. She and I came to an agreement that after I saw the stone, provided I decided to keep it, that she would be the one to set it for me. Since then we have agreed on her Tulip solitaire setting, to be done in 18k YG. The setting is now in production, and I'll be mailing the gem back to her when it's finished, for setting.

Time for pics...all of these were taken in varying degrees of sunlight, over several different days.

_30126.jpg

_30127.jpg

_30128.jpg

_30129.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
More pics...just such a pretty gem, I really love it!

I was hoping to get more pics of other things up now too - but I have to run. Will be adding to this thread shortly though.

_30130.jpg

_30131.jpg

_30132.jpg

_30133.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Its GORGEOUS!! I look forward to seeing it set! :appl:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
ricezo|1431383721|3875235 said:
Its GORGEOUS!! I look forward to seeing it set! :appl:

Ok back already, lol...

Ricezo - Thank you!! I just adore it.

Here are pics of the setting I'm using. Now imagine it in 18k YG (pics are an example in rose gold, I believe). It is Julia's Tulip setting and these are her pics.

_30135.jpg

_30136.jpg

_30137.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I also bought several sapphires from Dana at Mastercut, a couple of months ago or so? A blue round, totally untreated, Ceylon, @6.75 mm and 1.74 cts. A violet Ceylon oval, heat only, 1.73 cts, @ 7.10 x 5.6, and a pink Ceylon heat only, 1.58 cts and @ 7x6 mm.

I had the blue round set by Stephanie at etsy store Metalicious. I already owned a gorgeous pair of Ceylon untreated blue sapphires that I intended for earrings - sourced by Yvonne Raley, 4.70 mm, 1.15 tcw. The blue round from Dana was similar enough to the pair I had from Yvonne in color, so I had Stephanie set the sapphires as a set for me. They are all bezel set in her Wrought settings in 14k YG and I am so happy with them. Simply done but nice heavy settings (but not too heavy for earrings!!) - just right, nice and solid.

_30138.jpg

_30139.jpg

_30140.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Close ups of the studs now. These were a real find IMO - they are beautifully cut and untreated. I couldn't get them both facing forward at the same time, they kept shifting around in my hands, lol - but no cutting issues or zoning issues, these were recut in the US. They're the first pair I've owned (after going through several) that I am truly happy with. They're not as saturated as some would prefer, but pretty close to my ideal. I've been wearing them every day - they're a great size for me, close to 5 mm before setting and I'd say around 7ish mm after. They are a bit darker blue than they look in these pics - there was no sun out when I snapped these, unfortunately.

_30141.jpg

_30142.jpg

_30143.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Couple of pics of the violet and pink sapphires also from Dana. Thinking maybe a bypass ring? These are very similar in size and I think they are nice together...

_30144.jpg

_30145.jpg

_30146.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Ok need to run again but I will be checking in, and I have a few more pics to post.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh pretties! Katharath, you always find such colorful gems. I always get cheered up by looking at your bright and beautiful jewelry pieces [emoji7]. That Mahenge is gorgeous!! I regret a bit not buying a gorgeous cushion cut Mahenge from Julia last year, but c'est la vie.
PS I vote bypass ring, or mismatched bangle for the two sapphires. [emoji6]

katharath

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1431385766|3875248 said:
Nice, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

Thanks for the kind words :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
mochiko42|1431386136|3875254 said:
Ooooh pretties! Katharath, you always find such colorful gems. I always get cheered up by looking at your bright and beautiful jewelry pieces [emoji7]. That Mahenge is gorgeous!! I regret a bit not buying a gorgeous cushion cut Mahenge from Julia last year, but c'est la vie.

Thank you mochiko - you have exquisite taste, so I really appreciate your comments :) I love your idea for a mismatched bangle, I hadn't thought of that at all, but it's such a great idea - it's definitely something I would consider. Thanks so much for your comments!

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Julia has this mahenge ring available in her store that I like too - if it wasn't set in WG, I probably would've gone for it. She has great gems...

_30147.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I nabbed this Tanga (rhodolite) garnet from Barry too. It's not my usual preference in color, but I'm such a huge fan of Barry's signature cut that I'd pretty much buy anything from him, lol. This one is 8.4 mm, 2.93 cts. No setting plans as of yet.

_30148.jpg

_30149.jpg

_30150.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Katharath! I love all of them, especially the sapphire in that beautiful pendant!!! I would be sliding that all day and admiring it. You have been busy! :)

austinj

Shiny_Rock
I am sooo jealous of you mahenge spinel!! It is absolutely stunning! And I think the setting you picked for it is perfect. I CANNOT wait to see them together! Eeeeeeee!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always love your choices and this is no different :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Katharath, you are the queen of jewel tones. Great colors - that Mahenge is so well cut that it hardly has any extinction! All well done!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
ilovegemstones|1431393914|3875285 said:
Hey Katharath! I love all of them, especially the sapphire in that beautiful pendant!!! I would be sliding that all day and admiring it. You have been busy! :)

Lol, thank you - yes I have been busy!! I had sold off a lot of things, and then I've been lucky to be able to replace and upgrade parts of my collection - I've had a lot of fun. You are right about the sapphire too. I added an extender to the chain so that I could see the pendant better ;-)

Hope you and your family are well, we haven't talked in awhile!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
austinj|1431394638|3875290 said:
I am sooo jealous of you mahenge spinel!! It is absolutely stunning! And I think the setting you picked for it is perfect. I CANNOT wait to see them together! Eeeeeeee!

I'm so glad you like it, thank you so much! I'm really happy to hear your positive opinion on the setting too. I wasn't sure if I should do a three stone setting - I was thinking maybe with with omc diamonds - but I truly wanted a solitaire setting for this gem. I can't wait to see how it turns out, hopefully just a few more weeks and then it should be ready for setting (the ring is in production now).

katharath

Ideal_Rock
lilmosun|1431397068|3875315 said:
I always love your choices and this is no different :)

You are always so nice - thank you very much :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1431398465|3875335 said:
Katharath, you are the queen of jewel tones. Great colors - that Mahenge is so well cut that it hardly has any extinction! All well done!

Right?!? I love Portuguese cut mahenges and this one is very well done. I think it's a great combo of cut and color. The only thing that I compromised on a little bit was the color, as I would've preferred no orange at all. But I didn't feel like I'd be able to get everything else that I wanted, and the color and saturation is pretty great. The orange actually seems to amp it up a little bit, and it's not overwhelming at all. (I can just see it mostly when I compare to my other mahenges). At first I wasn't 100% sure if I would love it or not, but after I saw it in the sunlight, I knew that I was keeping it. Now I feel very attached to it, lol :)

Anyway - I appreciate your kind words, thank you. I feel like I've come a long way since I first started collecting, these boards have taught me SO much...

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1431399902|3875347 said:

Right?!? I love Portuguese cut mahenges and this one is very well done. I think it's a great combo of cut and color. The only thing that I compromised on a little bit was the color, as I would've preferred no orange at all. But I didn't feel like I'd be able to get everything else that I wanted, and the color and saturation is pretty great. The orange actually seems to amp it up a little bit, and it's not overwhelming at all. (I can just see it mostly when I compare to my other mahenges). At first I wasn't 100% sure if I would love it or not, but after I saw it in the sunlight, I knew that I was keeping it. Now I feel very attached to it, lol :)

Anyway - I appreciate your kind words, thank you. I feel like I've come a long way since I first started collecting, these boards have taught me SO much...

Katharath I want to say well done! I now the pink/red Mahenges are the coveted ideal, but Mahanges that glow with an orange modifier are beautiful in their own right as long as they are orange and not brown. They are glowing embers in low light. Enjoy! :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
LisaRN|1431401551|3875352 said:
katharath|1431399902|3875347 said:

Katharath I want to say well done! I now the pink/red Mahenges are the coveted ideal, but Mahanges that glow with an orange modifier are beautiful in their own right as long as they are orange and not brown. They are glowing embers in low light. Enjoy! :)

Yes, this one is amazing in a very low amount of sunlight, I just love it! So glad that you have a good opinion of it :). Your own mahenge is stunning, have you set it? (The one in your avatar?). It looks like a wonderful gem!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath said:

Julia has this mahenge ring available in her store that I like too - if it wasn't set in WG, I probably would've gone for it. She has great gems...

I like that 3-stone ring she has up better, in rose gold. I'm not a fan of this ring design and I don't wear white gold due to nickel allergies. Most importantly, I don't have a spare $6k in loose change down the back of my sofa!! [emoji6] what an amazing Mahenge, though. Mmmm...

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely,lovely stones katharath. Seeing Mahenge pinks always cheer me up! The blue sapphire studs are stunning as well.
I like the sound of bangle with the 2 stones from Dana.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love all your acquisitions Katharath. Especially those blue sapphire studs. :love: Gorgeous. I want a pair just like those but in dangle earrings. Enjoy!

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Wow, I love 'em all, but particularly the sapphires! :love: :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great haul you have there.

BTW, please don't use those stone holders, as in this pic. They chip stones, and can easily pop out of them, and fly across the room.

_30129.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All gorgeous!! I also don't mind a bit of orange. :)

It's funny, if those Dana sapphs are the ones I'm thinking of, I eyed them both often! We have pretty similar taste. They are really lovely.

Nice choices all around! Oh, and I love the tulip setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results