shape
carat
color
clarity

Last 5 lbs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering if anywhere out there was at that "stubborn last 5 lb" stage in their health makeover.
I hate the last 5 lb plateau. I know what I need to do to get past the plateau (eat fewer and better calories, and burn more calories, lol), but the last 5 lbs just seem so much harder..arg..
I already hit the gym 5 days a week (30 min cardio, 30 min strength) and log about 15 miles a week jogging. Sigh, guess I still need to up the ante a bit, mostly in the diet area.

Just wondering if anyone else here wanted to commiserate with me over the last, stubborn, 5 lbs!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been there for 3 or 4 months! It sucks! I am short too so 5 lbs REALLY makes a difference. I have to concentrate on my diet. I think that really is the key...unfortunately!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly the less you have to lose the harder it seems to get off. All I can recommend is just keep plugging away until those few pounds come off. Some people try calorie cycling but I haven''t. I also found when I wasn''t losing weight I was losing inches so that is always a plus. Good luck.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 9:25:30 PM
Author:MakingTheGrade
Just wondering if anywhere out there was at that 'stubborn last 5 lb' stage in their health makeover.
I hate the last 5 lb plateau. I know what I need to do to get past the plateau (eat fewer and better calories, and burn more calories, lol), but the last 5 lbs just seem so much harder..arg..
I already hit the gym 5 days a week (30 min cardio, 30 min strength) and log about 15 miles a week jogging. Sigh, guess I still need to up the ante a bit, mostly in the diet area.

Just wondering if anyone else here wanted to commiserate with me over the last, stubborn, 5 lbs!
Hi there, I wanted to encourage you to lose the last 5lbs of yr goal weight. Have you tried switching your exercise routine, or the types of exercise that you do? You know yr body gets used to a certain routine/ types of exercise and they're not so "challenged" anymore? I found that by switching machines or alternating the levels of intensity (within each exercise, as well from excercise to exercise) really helped. Even the cardio, how about switching between running and other types of cardio machines, such as the elliptical and/ or others?

As far as diet is concerned, I've found cutting down on carbs, booze, sugar and salt intakes as well as cutting down on portion sizes really helped. Also, shifting the portion sizes also from evenings to b/fast and lunches and cutting down all fats from your diet (including good fats, they still cause you to retain the weight. You can re-introduce them back into yr diet or increase the intake after you've reached yr goal weight, as they're good for yr health). Eat more veggies (they add bulk and make you less hungry) and fruits (but be careful, some have a very high sugar content).

Not sure if you're already doing all or some of the above, but just wanted to share with you what's worked for me, so as to give you some help and words of encouragement. Good luck. Keep us posted.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the support :)
I actually know in painful detail the science behind losing weight and gaining muscle, the metabolism of different kinds of fats, carbs, and proteins. Muscle physiology, isotonic vs isometric workouts etc. I''m in med school, so in theory I should know very well how to be and stay healthy. I just don''t have the willpower to follow it! :razz:

For example, I know that a ketogenic diet involving frequent small meals DOES work and will result in a leaner physique, I just love carbs. And while I eat multigrain carbs, I also eat random carbs too. I''m just not good at critically thinking about everything I eat, lol. Dieting is my downfall!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried adding intervals into your cardio or circuits into your strength training? Usually mixing things up with either or a combination of these two can really get you jump-started. And your workouts usually end up being shorter because you''re working harder overall.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 2:16:52 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

I actually know in painful detail the science behind losing weight and gaining muscle, the metabolism of different kinds of fats, carbs, and proteins. Muscle physiology, isotonic vs isometric workouts etc. I''m in med school, so in theory I should know very well how to be and stay healthy. I just don''t have the willpower to follow it! :razz:

For example, I know that a ketogenic diet involving frequent small meals DOES work and will result in a leaner physique, I just love carbs. And while I eat multigrain carbs, I also eat random carbs too. I''m just not good at critically thinking about everything I eat, lol. Dieting is my downfall!

I really wish they''d change this term. Carrots and hummus or a slice of turkey around a cheese stick are NOT meals.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m right there with you!! I''ve lost some weight, but I have about 4 lbs left and it won''t come off!! I''m going to try adding in more stregth workouts for a metabolism boost. I''ve heard that you it really makes a great deal of different adding in stregth to your cardio workouts.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve always done cardio in interval, mostly because I get bored if I don''t :)
I also strength train 3-4 times a week, although not as evenly as I should.

I''m probably going to add a pilates or similar class in the summer. Dieting is still the biggest problem for me though, lol, sigh.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 1:22:50 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Date: 3/24/2009 2:16:52 PM

I really wish they''d change this term. Carrots and hummus or a slice of turkey around a cheese stick are NOT meals.
omg, thank you, Hudson.

call me a fat pig if you must--14 baby carrots are nice and all, but that is NOT A FREAKIN MEAL!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, just to clarify, when I say "frequent small meals", I mean having 4 meals at about 400 cals each (breakfast, lunch, afternoon, dinner), not just baby carrots, lol. So 2 eggs and banana for breakfast, small sub/sandwhich for lunch, 3pm sushi, 8 pm chicken and veggies.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I''m there! I just bought a book (Jillian Michaels'' Making The Cut) that''s supposed to specifically target those last annoying 5-10 lbs. We''ll see if it works, but right now I am most definitely commiserating with y''all!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let us know if the book works out :)
Yeah, the last 5 are so tough. I"ll lose 3, gain back 2, lose 2, gain back 3...lol.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I feel your pain! 5 pounds is certainly the most difficult!

I''m still trying as well!
8.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
5lbs is often the amount of water weight we carry, which is why we fluxuate a few lbs here and a few there depending on the time of the month. Have you tried cutting back on your sugar and salt to see if that makes a difference? That 1/4-1/2 inch of bloat can really make a difference.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 9:55:08 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
5lbs is often the amount of water weight we carry, which is why we fluxuate a few lbs here and a few there depending on the time of the month. Have you tried cutting back on your sugar and salt to see if that makes a difference? That 1/4-1/2 inch of bloat can really make a difference.
It does make a difference, but I''d like it to be a little more stable without having to cut out salt and sugar (I am actually supposed to increase my salt intake because I have very low blood pressure, lol).

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 11:55:30 AM
Let us know if the book works out :)
Yeah, the last 5 are so tough. I''ll lose 3, gain back 2, lose 2, gain back 3...lol.
I know how you feel! I was down to my last 5 pounds, went all the way down to my last 3 pounds and gained 2 pounds back over the weekend?
7.gif

I just hired a personal trainer so I''ll ask her for some insight during our session tomorrow. I''ll let you know what she says!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
OH marcyc.... Not a lot of stuff makes me ACTUALLY laugh out loud, but that chocolate bunny thing is the story of my life, and it''s painfully HILARIOUS!!! Especially coming into the last five pounds thread.
36.gif

I''m there with you ladies. I haven''t really ever had to lose a lot of weight, but I''ve gained about ten pounds since I graduated high school. I''d be happy with losing five of them, but I just can''t seem to do it. I LOVE food. I am CONSTANTLY looking forward to my next meal. I''m fairly active, but apparently not enough, and I can''t stop eating.
8.gif
I aim for around 2000 calories a day, but usually end up going a little over. I figure even if I go a a little over, it''s better than eating with reckless abandon like I''d like to! But I just can''t stick to 2000 on the weekends. I feel like every Friday I feel pretty good, and then by Monday I''m a bloated pig again.
15.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still battling the last 5, sigh. I'm hoping once school's over, I"ll be better about dieting (I tend to snack when I'm studying intensely) and find more time to work out.

ARG, hate the last 5 lbs
7.gif
My ultimate goal is to lose like an inch from my rear, lol. Right now my reception dress fits great everywhere except there
29.gif

I'm so very close to being a sz 4 too, all that's standing in my way is my oddly disproportionate behind! GARRRR

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2009 10:09:05 PM
Still battling the last 5, sigh. I''m hoping once school''s over, I''ll be better about dieting (I tend to snack when I''m studying intensely) and find more time to work out.

ARG, hate the last 5 lbs
7.gif
My ultimate goal is to lose like an inch from my rear, lol. Right now my reception dress fits great everywhere except there
29.gif

I''m so very close to being a sz 4 too, all that''s standing in my way is my oddly disproportionate behind! GARRRR
Me too; I don''t know the last 5 -10 are the worst!!!! Hang in there!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am finding stress really helping with the last 5 lbs. Not that I would suggest it...just saying
3.gif

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 8:50:43 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I am finding stress really helping with the last 5 lbs. Not that I would suggest it...just saying
3.gif

Being sick as a dog and throwing up for most of a week does wonders too...
14.gif

Good luck on your last 5 pounds!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, well...I suppose I could hop over to the hospital and try to catch something....
Oh, and the gym is closed this week!
7.gif

And stress alone tends to make you pudgier (assuming your eating/sleeping habits don''t chance). Although some people when stressed are running around more and eating less, which is probably why they lose weight. Not me though :/ My stress is usually over exams, which just means I''m sitting and studying for long periods of time.
38.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m getting there on this front. I reduced the "last 5 pounds" to the last three pounds LOL. I upped my strength training and actually reduced my cardio a bit because it was making my appetite out of control. I was running about 20 miles a week and now I''m running about 10 and walking a day a week and doing strength 2x a week.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Less than 2 months till wedding...so close yet so far...lol. I still haven''t had much luck with the last 5, which is a bummer because it means I might not get to wear my reception dress
7.gif

I started dieting though (I usually eat healthy, but now I"m consciously trying to avoid the occasional slips), so hopefully I get closer by next month!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I have taken a lifestyle approach to my weight, and have been able to keep a steady weight that way. I eat smaller portions and healthy foods at home, but let things go a bit when I am out with friends. I have also found since I stared residency, I drink less alcohol, and since then, the 5 lbs have come off on their own. In my 4th year of med school, I went out a lot and gained some weight. Now when I order a drink it is usually a glass of red wine, a plain margarita, or vodka with juice instead of the frozen, mixed high calorie stuff.

You should also find out if you are really "meant" to loose the less 5 lbs. Have you checked your BMI, your body fat percentage. Weight is not everything, it is just a number.

At the end of the day remember, the person who is going to marry you loves you just the way you are.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 12:44:26 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I have taken a lifestyle approach to my weight, and have been able to keep a steady weight that way. I eat smaller portions and healthy foods at home, but let things go a bit when I am out with friends. I have also found since I stared residency, I drink less alcohol, and since then, the 5 lbs have come off on their own. In my 4th year of med school, I went out a lot and gained some weight. Now when I order a drink it is usually a glass of red wine, a plain margarita, or vodka with juice instead of the frozen, mixed high calorie stuff.

You should also find out if you are really ''meant'' to loose the less 5 lbs. Have you checked your BMI, your body fat percentage. Weight is not everything, it is just a number.

At the end of the day remember, the person who is going to marry you loves you just the way you are.

Haha, my BMI is actually 23.2, and I''m a pear-shape, so in terms of BMI and health predictors, my weight doesn''t worry me from a cardiovascular/diabetes risk prospective.

I haven''t checked my body fat % in a long while, and it''s not really about the numbers right now, it''s about fitting back in the reception dress I had made for my wedding! I had it made last summer, so I know I can get to that weight (I tend to be fitter in the summer, more time to workout, less stress). It is just taking me awhile to get back there.

I''m pretty OK with how I look, I just think it''d be a real shame to not be able to wear that dress. And I can''t let it out any due to the way it was constructed. Won''t be the end of the world, but I''m definitely going to try to be able to wear it!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I understand how you feel.

Could you get a hold of some lasix?
11.gif
(joking of course)

If you are trying to loose 5 lbs for a reception think about this. About 3500 calories make a pound. So you need to loose 5x that. That means you need to consume 500 less calories a day than you burn to loose a pound a week (to loose fat, not just water). The best way to do this is to estimate the amount of calories you burn a day based on your age, weight, and amount of physical activity. Than you can keep one of those online food diaries to see how much you are taking in.

Or you can get a new dress and save that dress for a time when things are less stressful.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to update, I lost those last 5, just need to maintain now until August 1!

Bad news: I seem to have lost too much weight in the chest area, sigh. My wedding gown (which was a tad loose on the top to begin with), is now in serious danger of causing me to flash people! I can''t alter it now, so I''m going to try to buy some "fashion tape" this weekend and hope it works! Luckily for me, my seamstress anticipated this problem when I told her I wanted to lose a few pounds, and I have thin halter straps as a last resort. (And for when I convert it to a halter, hehe)

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats MTG!!! That is fantastic. There is still time to get your dress altered, or if you want, you can just sew on those nude bras to give you padding!!! :) YEAYYY

Owwwwww.... Now I need to start exercising (10 lbs to lose) LOL :p

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results