shape
carat
color
clarity

Largest diamond you've seen in person (on someone's hand)?

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Just curious about the largest diamond ring you've seen in person, on someone's hand? I know we see lots of honkers at jewelry stores, but what about IRL?

I saw what had to be at least a 4ct princess on a woman at the airport in Maui. :love: It was gorgeous and I couldn't help looking at it but didn't want to be rude and ask to see it up close (some women do not take kindly to that), so I just kept nudging DH to "look at that rock!" :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Largest diamond you've seen in person (on someone's hand

Maybe 5 ct.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

Probably DiamanteBlu's emerald cut...I think it's 6 carats?

Kay

Ideal_Rock

8 ct fancy yellow EC on a very wealthy client. Having seen her appraisals, I know it is not her largest piece.

princesss

Ideal_Rock

My ex's cousin had a 4ct. cushion that was stunning!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

NewEnglandLady|1297976520|2854149 said:
Probably DiamanteBlu's emerald cut...I think it's 6 carats?

Ditto. And that's probably the largest I'll EVER see in person!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Does anyone have a link to DiamanteBlu's EC? :love: I don't think I've seen it!

Liane

Brilliant_Rock

An absolutely huge asscher on an older woman in front of me in line at the post office. I couldn't possibly estimate its weight by size, but it had to be at least 12mm across. She kept rotating it so that the stone was in her palm -- which, on the one hand, made it easier for me to see and admire the stone, but on the other hand struck me as a little silly. If you're going to wear a rock that big, wear it!

I'm still not 100% sure that stone was real, but I don't see too many fancy-cut CZs and I can't imagine why anyone would bother rotating a CZ into their palm, so I'm assuming that rock was genuine and that makes it the biggest one I've ever seen on a real live hand.

Otherwise, the biggest rock I've ever seen was probably a 5+ ct. round worn by the judge who presided over my wedding. (She took it off for the ceremony, which was considerate in terms of not overshadowing the bride, but definitely not considerate in terms of omg I wanted to ogle that thing some more!!)

iota15

Brilliant_Rock

What looked like a 5 ct round brilliant. Yes, it was huge... but ridiculously gorgeous. I walked passed the very well dressed lady probably three times while she was on the phone. haha.

Crazy enough, the following day, I saw a four ct cushion.

I've never seen anything remotely close to these sizes (or at least noticed) in all my years here, and then bam! two honkers in 24 hours. They were just shopping... walking about. This wasn't some gala.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I saw a woman on an airplane once with what had to be at least a 5 carat round. It wasn't the prettiest diamond I've seen but it was HUGE. It was obviously bought for quantity over quality. It wasn't frozen spit but it was in kind of an ugly, clunky setting and was pretty tinted.

The biggest beautiful diamond I've seen was when I was working retail in college. The customer was a pretty well-known local philanthropist and her ring was GORGEOUS. It was probably a 3.5-4 carat round in a really pretty delicate, vintage-looking setting. The diamond wasn't an old cut, though. She had a lot of really pretty diamond bracelets on, too. I would have loved to see her jewelry collection!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock

My old roommate's mom has a 5-ish-carat EC with tapered baguettes; it makes me swoon whenever I see it :love: . The wife of my DH's late mentor has a 4-to-5-carat RB that's stunning, too, but the EC is definitely more my style.

On people I don't know, I saw some very big rocks on ladies in the Bahamas. We were staying at the Cove Atlantis, and some of the jewelry I saw just at the pool was so big, I couldn't really estimate carat size (although I will say that mirrored sunglasses are great for secretly ogling other people's bling).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Liane|1297977754|2854167 said:
An absolutely huge asscher on an older woman in front of me in line at the post office. I couldn't possibly estimate its weight by size, but it had to be at least 12mm across. She kept rotating it so that the stone was in her palm -- which, on the one hand, made it easier for me to see and admire the stone, but on the other hand struck me as a little silly. If you're going to wear a rock that big, wear it!

I'm still not 100% sure that stone was real, but I don't see too many fancy-cut CZs and I can't imagine why anyone would bother rotating a CZ into their palm, so I'm assuming that rock was genuine and that makes it the biggest one I've ever seen on a real live hand.

Otherwise, the biggest rock I've ever seen was probably a 5+ ct. round worn by the judge who presided over my wedding. (She took it off for the ceremony, which was considerate in terms of not overshadowing the bride, but definitely not considerate in terms of omg I wanted to ogle that thing some more!!)

The woman I saw at the store I worked at did the same thing! Why?! It was a higher end women's store and we had a lot of wealthy clients, so her ring wasn't really out of place in that setting. If you're uncomfortable with the bling then just don't wear it! (And give it to me to wear! :tongue: )

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I have a hard time guestimating after about 5 carats, but I saw at least a 7+ carat RB (I'm leaning more towards 10) on a woman in first class on her way back from London to LA. It was ugly IMHO.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Selkie|1297979084|2854196 said:
Lil Misfit|1297977627|2854163 said:
Does anyone have a link to DiamanteBlu's EC? :love: I don't think I've seen it!

Many pics here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-rings.72943/

:love: :love: :love: :love:

That is a GORGEOUS collection!

To answer the original question, the largest I've seen in person actually being worn is 2.5ct. :oops: ;(

ETA: 2.5ct princess. VS1 or better and AMAZINGLY sparkly! (her DH bought it for their 25th anniversary :love: )

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I remember cruising old posts on SMTB some time ago and I found one where a lady was at a realllly high end store trying to figure out which sized stone she wanted to upgrade to and posted all of the pictures of her choices - they were amazing. I can't find it now. I remember she talked about wearing her fur coat so she was treated with respect. Anyone remember that one?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

athenaworth|1297978280|2854183 said:
I have a hard time guestimating after about 5 carats, but I saw at least a 7+ carat RB (I'm leaning more towards 10) on a woman in first class on her way back from London to LA. It was ugly IMHO.

We must have met the exact same lady because I saw an older wealthy looking lady wearing a 10ct-ish RB getting off the first class when I was returning from Paris, flying into Orange County, CA. There seemed to be at least 10 prongs around the humongous rock. Not a very pretty ring, but I knew it was real because of the color and clarity. Did not look one bit like a CZ.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock

Since I've started looking, the largest that I've seen was maybe a 2.5 carat round. I'm not totally convinced that it was real, but it might have been.

Other than that, I have seen a few around the 1.5 carat range (rounds and princesses), and the rest were all smaller. Diamonds definitely aren't a big priority for anyone around here (except me!), which is kind of why I'm afraid to go too large.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock

When I was a teenager working in the local mall, I saw a woman with a huge round diamond. I asked about it and she told me it was 10 ct. I said something to the effect of "wow, your husband must LOVE you!" (I realize now that it was rude of me to say that, but I guess I didn't know better.)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have no idea how large it was, but there was a woman in our dog training class who wore the biggest RB I have ever seen. (She's the one who pierced her dog's ears and put diamond studs in them, I made a thread about it a long time ago. Crazy.) It turned out that she's a local jeweler, and I got to spy the ring up-close when class was over. It was easily 8 or 9 carats, and brilliant. I did nothing but steal glances at her hand during that entire class!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

My Tennis partner had a honker, it was 10 carats plus?? And Diamondfans. Her EC was 10 carats if I am not mistaken.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

A woman I used to work with had a 6+ carat pear in a yellow gold setting (1986) . It was her engagement ring. It was a second marriage for both of them. Her diamond wedding band was also huge and she ended wearing her wedding band on her right hand since the ER took up most of her ring finger.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

On two hands actually--one gal was ahead of me in line at my favorite haunt and we started chatting.....10 carats on her left and 12 on her right. Beautifully unreal!

cheers--Sharon

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

athenaworth|1297987159|2854291 said:
Holy honker! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-of-my-emerald-cut-finally.44004/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-of-my-emerald-cut-finally.44004/[/URL]

IMHO if you're gonna go that big, you should go fancy cut. Round just looks strange when it gets that big. Again, just MHO.

Woah! :o :o :o That is a stunner! I agree with you about rounds looking "strange" when they're that big.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I could rock that.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I knew a woman that had a five carat round stone. My guess is that the color was in the IJK color range but it was very clear. It was in a six prong plain setting with a matching plain wedding band. In all honesty, it was not pretty. It looked too big as a plain round stone - if I had something that large, I too would prefer a fancy shape I think. It sort of looked like a doorknob on her hand - just sort of large and sitting there. I had always thought the bigger the better until I saw that ring. No flash and razzle dazzle somehow - just a big plain circle!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

a 5.25ct rb on an elderly chinese man... :love: this was about 30 yrs ago.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

1.5 carats. even the wealthy around here seem to have modest pieces

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A 14ct pear-shaped D coloured diamond ring, at a jewellery show in Singapore. That thing was monstrous!! :twirl: And the woman's hands were tiny!! :wacko:

Of course, I'm just jealous, ha ha!! :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results