shape
carat
color
clarity

Large Mystery Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

metro

Brilliant_Rock

I was digging through my jewelry box last night and ran across the rock that I have forgotton about! I got this monster stone from my aunt about 20 years ago. I don''t know what it is, but I swear I remember her saying it was an aquamarine - though she could have only been refering to the color. I really don''t know. She has it in the funky setting and I took it out. I could be glass for all I know. It''s huge and very light clear blue, that''s about all I know.

How can I find out what it is and if it has any value? If it is an aquamarine, can it be recut? It''s like a pear shape now and I enormous!

Ideas? Suggestions?

I took this pics this morning and the lighting in the bedroom is terrible.

38.gif

mysterystone345.JPG

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I tried to fix the color but it still doesn''t look too good.

Picture 069.jpg

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the double-post!

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
No-one can tell you for sure just by looking at a picture. You will need a gemologist''s help. A look under a loupe may reveal whether it is glass. A refractometer and polariscope and/or dichroscope should be able to tell the rest of the story. Any gemstone can be recut as long as it has adequate structural integrity. Good luck!

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info C Smith!

Can anyone recommend a registered gemologist in Houston, TX?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Since you''re in Houston, I suggest you call Whiteflash and ask to speak with their staff gemologist. If he can''t do it for you there is someone else in the same building that does gem identifications and valuations.

They''re right in Houston where you are.

Rockdoc

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome! Thanks, RockDoc!

metro

Brilliant_Rock

YEAH! I got a super fast response from Bob at Whiteflash and he has referred me to Lastovica Appraisal, located in the same building.

Gonna see if I can get an appointment next week! I wonder how long it takes to tell what type of stone I have?? Gosh, I hope it''s not glass - how embarrassing!
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results