shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies w/ large center stones, do you ever feel self conscious about your ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH my everloving lord!!!

We talk about fashion on here ALL THE TIME in the shopping forum. We also talk about alot of other 'frivolous' or 'ridiculous' things on there that people in the real world would think we are nutty for. How I took the 'juicy sweats and logo'd sunglasses' thing to mean was that someone's PERSONAL STYLE is their own and they can wear that stuff and wear a big rock or not or whatever. Big deal.

I love juicy, and have LV's and have a diamond and I drive a REALLY OLD 16 year old car. WHO CARES. Does that really define me? Is this really an issue here? I know I have said in the past I feel like a funny oxymoron loving big stones but not wanting to get a new car...oh and I know I have said I live in Juicy sweats too. Quick grab some rocks to throw at me. Big ones.

Sorry to remind the naysayers but this is a DIAMOND FORUM. Diamonds are luxury products. It's frivolous to have a 2nd ring? What about even having a FIRST RING? That's frivolous too. That could feed alot of starving children or be $10k in a good charity if you really want to get on a high horse about it. Since when do us diamond lovers pass such harsh judgement on other diamond lovers OR fashion lovers OR logo lovers or whatever??? THAT is what is ridiculous. Deco put it right...say you don't love logo brands...don't say someone is classless or disgusting or whatever the wordofthedayis to express distate.

Brneyedgirl, wear whatever your little heart desires, diamondfan you too. Be it a 5c or a 10c or juicy sweats and your sunglasses and 5 LV bags ALL TOGETHER if it floats your boat. Who cares!! Do what makes you happy and that is all that matters.

Diamondlove, welcome out of lurkdom and I'm really sorry that you had to be a very concise voice of reason in a thread like this in one of your first posts.
2.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Deco, I should''ve known you have a journalism background. You are an awesome writer.
21.gif
Gotta love you.

Deco, I actually am a trained therapist, and this thread is an interesting study in human nature, to say the least. It''s hard to sit here and not respond.

Have any of you considered that the 4c diamond was originally intended for another woman, which may or may not be the reason why brwneyed got a 2nd ring that was more her own style? Emotions are tied to diamonds. A diamond is an emotional purchase.

If any of us thought about it (and I''m sure most of us have), diamonds are not really worth what we pay for them. They are assigned so much value because of the demand and the perception of the public (along with certain name brand items). I am not going to sit here and act high and mighty and say that I don''t like diamonds. This is a diamond forum, and I love diamonds! I have more than one diamond ring. Diamonds are what is relevant in this thread, but we seem to have gotten sidetracked, equating diamonds with other items which we overpay for. We could argue about this all day. If you like it and are willing to pay what it costs, buy it! We do it with diamonds. So every one of us here (who owns a diamond) would be a hypocrite if we say we are not somewhat status-seeking, or else we would all buy CZs and save a lot of money. We have gotten that DeBeers advertising drilled in our heads: a diamond is forever. Their advertising campaign is hugely successful, and I guess I buy into it as much as anyone.

Deco is right. We should answer the original poster''s question of whether or not we are self-conscious when wearing a large stone (comparable to her 4c stone).

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lizz, Hi! I also have a masters in clinical psych and have found the direction this thread took intriguing, to say the least!!! I kept thinking about the fact that this is a place to share a love of jewels and fashion, among other things. I do not think of it is as bragging but as sharing. Speaking only for myself, I do not need to log on here and brag to people I do not know. What I LOVE is that there are people from all over the world, with all kinds of opinions and insights. I get great advice and sometimes learn something new...and hope I have been able to return the favor. This forum, for the most part with all its various threads, is about sharing some of the stuff we have and love. Of course there are threads about all kinds of other topics too, world events, health, etc...but I would say the majority focus is about diamonds. I sort of go by the notion, if you can afford what makes you happy and it is not illegal, immoral or unethical, go for it! Prioritize, if you would rather have a great ring and be more minimal with other things, great! If you can have it all, go for it! As long as you are a real soul,a good person, so what? By the way, thought THIS was interesting and it did make my stomach hurt a bit...If De Beers and others flooded the market diamond wise, diamonds would be worth about a dollar a carat!!!!!! (a jeweler friend of mine told me this!) Yikes. It is all about supply and demand it seems...and there sure is a mystery and an allure about a little ole rock...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Lizz!

Glad you weighed in! Love yr. point about the 4ct stone''s origins & emotions attached.
Also love a good debate ... I, for one, don''t think the ONLY reason people might mention brand names or enviable particulars about their lives is "to brag". Telling stories is about "painting pictures" ... the more details, the better the visual, the better the "story". Sometmes I say things that are way too graphic or potentially offensive and my friends have to scream "Stop PAINTING PICTURES!!" I know that about myself, so I assume others might like to do the same.

Also: people tend to dislike in others what they secretly dislike about themselves. So I''d guess "name-dropping" "label-whoring" and "bragging" might hit a little too close to home for the *particularly* "offended" parties. But that''s just a guess! And a wee bit of a judgement, which I''ll cop to.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
26.gif
When Pricescope is at its'' best, it''s a place where a diamond measured in points is every bit as ''valued'' as one measured in multiple carats. everyone helps each other, shares the excitement of the engagement ring for a young couple, or the first diamond purchase for a 25th wedding anniversary, or a right-hand ring for a single woman, a reward for a guy who lost a bunch of weight, or an upgrade 6 weeks after the initial purchase.... WHATEVER! Everyone is welcome!
It''s just about the diamonds, period! So, every now & then you get to read one of these ridiculous threads. (well it IS entertaining)

The way I see it- a 25 pt. diamond ring is frivolous, so therefore, they all are. Nobody can possibly draw a line and say where it goes from OK to not OK.

That is ridiculous.

Lots of other things are frivolous, too, like singing. Or flowers. Or sunshine. ok ok- those are free. But, unless you are Mother Teresa, don''t tell me you aren''t taking some pleasurein life somewhere.
jeez.

We have 3 kids- with at least one in college from 2000-2011.
I drive a 2001 Subaru Forester and most /all of my logo items come from Loehmann''s or Nordstrom Rack. I am an amateur seamstress and I sew A LOT of the clothes I wear. I am FRUGAL!
I work hard, make a small fortune and it all goes to educating our kids and the cost of living in one of the most expensive regions in the US.

For me to set aside a little money for my bauble has been a huge pleasure.
And I''m getting bigger and better diamonds as soon as that youngest kid of ours gets himself at least a partial scholarship to college (like the first 2 have!)

singer

Brilliant_Rock
This thread is incredibly mind-boggling. Honestly, I think some people on here are jealous of the fact that brneyegrl gets to have two rings! I mean, how many people here would pass up a second ring if this opportunity arose? SO many people on this sight post threads pertaining to their new upgrades or anniversary bands or RH rings, etc, etc. Many people seem to be getting upgrades on a regular basis...every year or every five years or whatever. No one ever criticizes these people....it's just, "Wow!" and "Post more pics!" or "Congrats! You are one lucky girl!" What is the difference between one person having two rings and other person getting a jumbo upgrade? MONEY IS MONEY...that's the way I look at it.

I know I would be super self-conscious with a 4 carat diamond, so I would be all for a second ring (like brneyedgrl is doing). BUT, I surely wouldn't pass up that huge sparkler if it fell in my lap, that's for sure!
9.gif
I must say that I even feel self-conscious at times with my .90 carat e-ring that is set in a halo mounting (not b/c of the center diamond, but because of the fancy setting). I live in Nebraska, and my ring is quite a bit more intricate than most rings I see everyday. I find myself wanting a simple solitaire setting so that I will not come across as materialistic to other people, which I am not. I find that my e-ring does not go with most clothes I wear. I am a jeans, flip-flops, and t-shirt type of gal (and only get really dressed up on the weekends). I teach, so my work clothes are casual dress, and I do not own any designer label items...no Coach, no Juicy, no Louis Vuitton (did I even spell that right? LOL....I can't believe people are being criticized for mentioning the clothes they like to wear...that is just stupid! What about people on this site who get their erings at Tiffany's...no one ever gives them grief....sorry, I guess I got a little side-tracked...lol. )

My fiance and I were looking at upgrading and getting a 2 carat diamond, but I have finally decided against it....it just isn't me. We are going to use our extra income for things we REALLY need. I am considering putting my center stone in a plain setting (because I think I could wear it every day, with all of my clothes, and feel more comfortable), but I would still wear my beautiful halo mounting (probably put a CZ in it) for special occassions.

Anyway, my point is that people should do whatever makes them happy. I don't think that brneyedgrl is being selfish (or materialistic or superficial) at all! She is trying to be sensible! She sounds like a really nice person who dedicates her life to helping others...that should be applauded!
36.gif
I am very disappointed by some people's responses (or attacks) on brneyedgrl and diamondfan. It's not like brneyedgrl is getting a second ring that is 2 carats or more. People post their 1, 2, 3 carat plus RHR's or diamond earrings on here all the time. Seriously, what's the difference? I think some people need to practice using a little more class when responding to people's questions (especially when they are saying someone else is not classy...I mean take a look at yourself)....and stick to the question. Nobody was asking for fashion advice. This is a diamond forum, so let's talk about diamonds!
1.gif

Sorry for the long post...which seems to babble on and on. I just couldn't organize my thoughts today...this working 7 days a week thing sucks! I need a vacation!
14.gif

Congrats brneyedgrl! Do whatever your little heart desires! AND DON'T FORGET TO POST PICS...HEE, HEE!
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, this thread really took a strange turn from the last time I checked it
20.gif

my OPINION
1.gif

1) nothing wrong with having 2 rings or 10 if you love them..it''s none of our business how you spend your $$

2) this is a diamond forum..ultimate luxury IMO. can''t really justify having one other than wanting it. people who buy diamonds also like to buy other things. I honestly don''t care if they buy designer stuff and share and as Mara said, it''s discussed all the time in shopping.

I guess I find it confusing that some of the posters complaining about the "bragging" have spent a quite a large sume of $ on diamonds themeselves and have more than one ring
33.gif

brneyedgrl: enjoy your rings and wear whatever you feel comfortable with, there is no right or wrong answer. I do know with time many women feel that their diamonds get smaller and want bigger ones. Looks like you already have the best of both worlds
1.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2006 2:38:47 PM
Author: mrssalvo
20.gif

my OPINION
1.gif

1) nothing wrong with having 2 rings or 10 if you love them..it''s none of our business how you spend your $$

2) this is a diamond forum..ultimate luxury IMO. can''t really justify having one other than wanting it. people who buy diamonds also like to buy other things. I honestly don''t care if they buy designer stuff and share and as Mara said, it''s discussed all the time in shopping.

I guess I find it confusing that some of the posters complaining about the ''bragging'' have spent a quite a large sume of $ on diamonds themeselves and have more than one ring
33.gif

brneyedgrl: enjoy your rings and wear whatever you feel comfortable with, there is no right or wrong answer. I do know with time many women feel that their diamonds get smaller and want bigger ones. Looks like you already have the best of both worlds
1.gif
Well said mrssalvo!
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2006 2:27:40 PM
Author: dbgaap
26.gif
When Pricescope is at its'' best, it''s a place where a diamond measured in points is every bit as ''valued'' as one measured in multiple carats. everyone helps each other, shares the excitement of the engagement ring for a young couple, or the first diamond purchase for a 25th wedding anniversary, or a right-hand ring for a single woman, a reward for a guy who lost a bunch of weight, or an upgrade 6 weeks after the initial purchase.... WHATEVER! Everyone is welcome!
It''s just about the diamonds, period! So, every now & then you get to read one of these ridiculous threads. (well it IS entertaining)

The way I see it- a 25 pt. diamond ring is frivolous, so therefore, they all are. Nobody can possibly draw a line and say where it goes from OK to not OK.

That is ridiculous.

Lots of other things are frivolous, too, like singing. Or flowers. Or sunshine. ok ok- those are free. But, unless you are Mother Teresa, don''t tell me you aren''t taking some pleasurein life somewhere.
jeez.

We have 3 kids- with at least one in college from 2000-2011.
I drive a 2001 Subaru Forester and most /all of my logo items come from Loehmann''s or Nordstrom Rack. I am an amateur seamstress and I sew A LOT of the clothes I wear. I am FRUGAL!
I work hard, make a small fortune and it all goes to educating our kids and the cost of living in one of the most expensive regions in the US.

For me to set aside a little money for my bauble has been a huge pleasure.
And I''m getting bigger and better diamonds as soon as that youngest kid of ours gets himself at least a partial scholarship to college (like the first 2 have!)

Sure sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders, priorties in oder! To have three kids all achieving so well, scholarships etc, in this ultra competitive "getting into college" world...you should be very proud. I have three kids, oldest still a few years away from college, but boy, I hear from friends who are going through it how tough it all is! Just so glad I am not a kid going through it now...tough. I sure hope you get your bauble! You deserve it (please ignore my crazy coimputer''s choice to italicize!) :)

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/23/2006 12:43:36 AM
Author: windowshopper
Date: 4/23/2006 12:29:15 AM

Author: esalyi

I dont know if thats something to worry about! Be happy that you get to have one ring let alone two- although I dont really see why you need two but whatever- yes I know everyone is entitled to spend their money on whatever but I mean I dont care how much money you make its still ridiculous.

That being said I dont think that your larger ring in that classic setting would look out of place in most settings. I wear my diamonds with more work appropriate outfits ( I work at a fashion magazine so I guess stylish chic?) but with more casual outfits I just wear a plain Tiffany platinum band or when I am going to do outdoorsy type things.....

and just a side note- the outfits you are describing ''juicy sweats and logo bags and sunglasses''??? you would never see someone in the fashion world wear that in public- head to toe logos screaming everywhere does not look chic it looks very cheap. Find your own style not Paris Hilton''s. Sorry but this just offends me on a stylistic level. ugh...
Interesting reply by esalyi--i must say my stomach was doing flip flops reading the revolting posts about ''juicy'' sweats and louis bags etc...............proving that money doesnt buy class. the size of your ring will never matter. how you carry yourself as a human being, treat people around you, smile at someone who smiles at you.... Remind yourself that stuff is just stuff and that people dont respect you for your stuff. In fact they resent you for it if you dont carry your self with dignity. Pride goeth before the fall...or some thing like that. I love diamonds dont get me wrong---but I desire to be respected and liked most of all.

Whoa, some of you people are out of control (and I haven''t even finished reading this yet)...I was just responding to someone else comment about Juicy sweats and designer bags and now I am cheap and I don''t smile at people?!?!?! You all need to take it easy and I am not "in the fashion world" I was saying I wear sweats when I run around, sorry if I offended you "on a stylisitic level", I''m not trying to be on a "stylisitic level", I''m not trying to buy class, I don''t need to, you don''t know me, I wear what I like, just settle. I am 23 I like to be loud and I''m gonna do it while i can.

And does my offending you on your "stylisitic level" have to do with how I carry myself as a human being?!?!? I''m not trying to have people respect me for "my stuff" who says that??? Sorry my sweats and handbags are revolting, what do you like to wear?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2006 1:42:22 PM
Author: Mara

OH my everloving lord!!!

We talk about fashion on here ALL THE TIME in the shopping forum. We also talk about alot of other ''frivolous'' or ''ridiculous'' things on there that people in the real world would think we are nutty for. How I took the ''juicy sweats and logo''d sunglasses'' thing to mean was that someone''s PERSONAL STYLE is their own and they can wear that stuff and wear a big rock or not or whatever. Big deal.

I love juicy, and have LV''s and have a diamond and I drive a REALLY OLD 16 year old car. WHO CARES. Does that really define me? Is this really an issue here? I know I have said in the past I feel like a funny oxymoron loving big stones but not wanting to get a new car...oh and I know I have said I live in Juicy sweats too. Quick grab some rocks to throw at me. Big ones.

Sorry to remind the naysayers but this is a DIAMOND FORUM. Diamonds are luxury products. It''s frivolous to have a 2nd ring? What about even having a FIRST RING? That''s frivolous too. That could feed alot of starving children or be $10k in a good charity if you really want to get on a high horse about it. Since when do us diamond lovers pass such harsh judgement on other diamond lovers OR fashion lovers OR logo lovers or whatever??? THAT is what is ridiculous. Deco put it right...say you don''t love logo brands...don''t say someone is classless or disgusting or whatever the wordofthedayis to express distate.

Brneyedgirl, wear whatever your little heart desires, diamondfan you too. Be it a 5c or a 10c or juicy sweats and your sunglasses and 5 LV bags ALL TOGETHER if it floats your boat. Who cares!! Do what makes you happy and that is all that matters.

Diamondlove, welcome out of lurkdom and I''m really sorry that you had to be a very concise voice of reason in a thread like this in one of your first posts.
2.gif
Well said Mara
2.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2006 2:38:47 PM
Author: mrssalvo
20.gif

my OPINION
1.gif

I guess I find it confusing that some of the posters complaining about the ''bragging'' have spent a quite a large sume of $ on diamonds themeselves and have more than one ring
33.gif

1.gif
i for one am not talking about or against diamonds , quantity or size................i found the smugness of the label listers who claim to not be defined by their stuff --preposterous and pretentious...........................i knwo plenty of people with all that stuff.................i have nothing against luxury items or brands, diamonds or otherwise....................what i do dislike is self centered bragging and showing off ........................for example one declaration that "i only carry Hermes bags" to be obnoxious to say the least and unnecessary to the discussion to say the least. Everyone one of you sounding off are missing the points of the few us who have commented on the ugly side of materialism demonstrated by some of these posters .

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
By the way, windowshopper, I don''t dress like Meryl Streep because I''m not 60, I dress more like Britney and Paris because I am their age, younger in fact, and I frequent the places they do.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2006 3:15:38 PM
Author: Diamonds are Hot!
By the way, windowshopper, I don''t dress like Meryl Streep because I''m not 60, I dress more like Britney and Paris because I am their age, younger in fact, and I frequent the places they do.
you are clearly a class act and are proving my point --i am sure i would pass you in the street and be laughing inside.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results