shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies-In-Waiting Part III

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2005 3:20:42 PM
Author: allycat0303

Your avatar! Oh is is Elizabeth Taylor? have you seen her picture book? I think it is called ''My love affair with jewelerr'' or something like that. So many beautiful pieces.
I haven''t seen the picture book but i WANT to!! I saw her on a tv special once -- she was discussing many of her most expensive pieces -- they were UNBELIEVABLE! wow. Would love to get a look at that book.

Good luck with the weight issues -- I know it''s hard, especially when you have people, I''m sure, telling you that you look fabulous/skinny/whatever! They don''t realize that it''s not THEIR perception that matters, it''s yours....and you have to find that acceptance within yourself. You''ll get there! Just remember that only YOU define you by that scale -- everyone else (who matters) sees you always as fabulous wonderful alleycat who they LOVE unconditionally. :)

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock

OK, I can''t help it anymore, I must ask to be added to this list!!!

I had been holding off on publically airing my angst about STILL not being engaged, but now I can''t anymore, because I came back to the office after the holidays to 3 new engagements at work and it''s just bugging me!

I''ve been with my boyfriend for 4 years. We''re totally happy - we live together in a house we own, and have 2 dogs. It feels like we''re already married! We both agree that we will get married within the next few years, and at various times the official engagement has seemed close at hand, but then just doesn''t happen. We''ve discussed a budget for the ring, and he knows I''ve been looking on my own to get a sense of what I want, but that''s where it''s been for a while now.

The thing is, I don''t really care so much about actually getting married anytime that soon (I know I want to be with him for life, but am just not a super traditional person who really cares about a big wedding or making it legal or whatever). We would get married anyhow whenever we were ready for children of course. And I''m happy in our relationship the way it is now. Most immediately, I really really really want an engagement ring, and to share in the excitement of being engaged and having that be the "official" status.

I''m trying not to push him - I know he''s not having doubts about the relationship or our future, but is just a little reluctant to spend so much money on a ring, and a little gun shy about the institution of marriage itself. We are both products of broken (really, really broken) marriages and I am a little scared of it too most of the time! But, sometimes I feel like I''ll just have to say "look, it''s time to really get the ball rolling." Not like an ultimatum, because we''ve discussed it enough that it wouldn''t feel that way.

I don''t know! Holidays and anniversaries have come and gone this season without any deep/ more specific discussion of when and how, and I just don''t know what his specific plan is, or if he even has one!!!!

I literally dream about engagement rings some nights!

30.gif

Any advice is appreciated!

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
By the way, I''m now OBSESSED with that chapel in the Ozarks! I was familiar with the similar one in CA because I''m in LA - but that one looks even cooler to me! Wowza! Such a great balance between a church wedding and something edgier and more outdoorsey. Perfect!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
lol--welcome to the obsession, katrina!!!
3.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
gingerBcookie
goldengirl
cute330xigrl
1215n
LaurenThePartier
jenwill
denverkat
psuheather
twinkletoes
ootthibo
pokerface
blueroses
madarski
VAgal13
aeli
Morticia
icekid
LuvthatSparkle
Kberly
KimberJEB
kit0110
Queenofhearts
Dodger Gurl
honeynut
stacy11101
Erin
Dani
appletini
lovey
LittleOne
Shay
Croi
happysnowbunny
dancinbaby
AMALEEKEL
razza21
Binki
NoonersMom
kasih
blue824
kellypooh24
ammayernyc
SJS1234
jennyt
sistagrl2004
teebee
IslandDreams
katrina_33
Molson

So it looks like our total holiday engagement count is 7.5!! Who called it?
1.gif

Croí

Shiny_Rock
ladeeeez
hi all ! have been reading all day but no time to write ''till now. how is everyone doing ? those chapels were STUNNING, toooo lovely for words. Irish churches are concrete or stone (bummer hanging on to the edge of Europe by the wild Atlantic in that regard ! hehehe) and the one I hope to have a blessing in is teeny tiny and white and nestled into the mountain. I will try to take photos when I am at home.

GG- very very exciting stuff indeedy ! I think it''ll be brilliant altogether if he springs it on you because you seem so convinced that he isn''t going to. The ultimate coup ! heheh.
1.gif

anyhooooooooooo -

well, it''s official (heheh, no, not THAT !)
3.gif

emlove.gif
I''m bonkers in love ! hehehe.
30.gif

I must be. I mean seriously. I went home last night and every ounce of stress and even thoughts of stress just dropped off my shoulders as soon as he put his arms around me and hugged and kissed me. It''s like a spell I tell you !! I turn into silly-putty !!

I took a quick spin to Michaels hoping to get some left over plain white Christmas lights but they were all out. Disappointing. Anyone have any idea where I could pick these up ??
On an up note however Michaels does have lots of fun Valentines stuff so I picked up a few more decorating pieces. I am going to be lugging so much crap home with me in two weeks time ! heeheh.
6.gif

It''s funny. From the beginning the Universe seems to have a serious, earnest plan in place about us getting together, so I kinda just have decided to go with the flow. I''m going to keep doing my research (after all it''ll still come in handy even if May 1st doesn''t pan out) and enjoy all of this excitement. I still firmly believe May 1st will be the day - it just feels right.

It''s bloody well been snowing again. Why oh why did I move over 3,000 miles just to end up in the American North-East !?!?!?!
26.gif

Alley- thinkin'' of ya .......... you''ll figure it out. Talk to him though, shutting him out entirely won''t help things. Even if all you can say is that you can''t talk, at least give him something.

ooooh - Mark Morrell''s new stuff (new thread when I came on) - it''s sooooooooooo amazing. I totally fell for his three-prong ring. So gorgeous. *swoon*

well, nearly time to head off home. catch you all amárach !

appletini

Ideal_Rock
katrina: Welcome!

GG: I actually have several old school (1985) Nintendo''s that I''ve been trying to get rid of...gamestop won''t buy them back anymore and I''ve been too lazy to put them on eBay. If you want one or two, they are yours.

teebee: The Mexican wedding is my dream, but I doubt the BF would consent to that. I also want my grandfather to walk me down the aisle...he is 93!, but in good health for his age (still drives, etc), but who knows how long that will last, so I think it would be a great memory for the both of us.

Croí

Shiny_Rock
GG - I think I called it ........... I think I did !!!! I think I did !!!!

26.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Croi: look to see if there is a Christmas outlet in your area...they should have tons of Christmas lights and for cheap!

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Croi- Look at your local hardware stores- small and large. They usually carry the white ones for putting outside- indoor/outdoor lights. They also tend to have more lights on hand since so many strandsa re needed for outdoor decorating.

GG- sounds exciting! Whether it is girl soon or boy soon...jus t knowing that it is in the works is great!

Alley- maybe now that the madness of the holidays has passed, you will have a bit of room to just breath. With that it may be possible for you to talk to your ex and at least explain what is going on- and to see if perhaps a few visits to couples counseling would help with communication and letting you be able to express what it is that you are feeling. Whatever happens, you are a strong and amazing person, and you will get through this time to happier ones.

Can''t write much- working like a crazy person!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
apple: NO WAY!!!
6.gif
Nobody freaking wants to sell theirs whenever I find someone who has one. Do you have the front-loading or the top-loading style and (of course
2.gif
) do they work?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone!

I was watching Oprah! And you know who was on it of course? Amber Frey, Scott Peterson''s mistress. And I have to say, he sounds like such a jerk. It makes me afraid to go out into the dating world. You never know what is out there.

SJS1234: You have hit it right on the nail. Mostly I have kept these weight issues to myself. I tend to find that if the person you are talking to is heavier then you, they immediately condemn you for having weight issues. But it really is about your own perception. I call it SELF-IMAGE. So anyone can have problems with it, and it doesn''t matter in the least what size you are. Your just as badly off because it is the way you see yourself.

Icekid: I envy you the studying. I am taking a year off (between master''s and med) and I am going CRAZY! Jeez. I thought I needed the break. Now I just want to get back into the studies! The chapels are beautiful. What a magnificent setting!

Teebee: Oh the hungry feeling. Like that too. If I don''t feel hungry, I think to myself I must be eating too much. It''s funny so many of us have similar experiences. I like the fall wedding idea. The foliage period is kind of hard to determine. I know that there is like a two week period where it is gorgeous and then right after the trees look kind of skinny. I think it might be hard to predict through, I believe leaves change color as a result of daylight AND temperature cues. I guess November might not be too fun if you also have to worry about December finals. What a hard decision!

Katerina33: Welcome to the list! I don''t want to get married.... I just want the engagement ring!!
11.gif

Jenwill: Holidays were really crazy! Thanks for the kind words.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
GG: Yes they do work. A group of (guy) friends and I used to occasionally have the NNIUC (Nintendo Nerding It Up Challenge) kind of as a joke...I actually got 2nd place the first time I hosted it. I''m still keeping one and the games for nostalgia, but I had bought two extra consoles for the NNIUC in order to truly make it like a tournament. Here is the link for what my NES''s are http://www.nintendo.com/systemsclassic?type=nes Since you are my PS buddy I will just give them to you if you really want them.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love you!!!

I''m PMing you now.
9.gif

bow.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
appletini - Any chance you have a nintendo power pad for the old school system? We are acutally looking to buy one.. but I''m rather wary of ebay.. FI has a working old system.. but I was thinking of buying a whole system for him just in case..

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
Croi - Where in the Northeast are you from...I''m from Boston, well, north of Boston in Beverly...do you know Mark Morrell lives in Concord, and sells his stuff already done at Cooper Jeweler''s in Woburn. Good place to go if you want to look at a small selection of his work...klr (hoping for a snow day tomorrow!)
35.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
lol, that''s so funny, heart prongs... Croi''s in Boston. :) GO CHECK HIS STUFF OUT, GIRL!!!
30.gif

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2005 5:38:12 PM
Author: allycat0303
Hey everyone!

I was watching Oprah! And you know who was on it of course? Amber Frey, Scott Peterson''s mistress. And I have to say, he sounds like such a jerk. It makes me afraid to go out into the dating world. You never know what is out there.

SJS1234: You have hit it right on the nail. Mostly I have kept these weight issues to myself. I tend to find that if the person you are talking to is heavier then you, they immediately condemn you for having weight issues. But it really is about your own perception. I call it SELF-IMAGE. So anyone can have problems with it, and it doesn''t matter in the least what size you are. Your just as badly off because it is the way you see yourself.

Icekid: I envy you the studying. I am taking a year off (between master''s and med) and I am going CRAZY! Jeez. I thought I needed the break. Now I just want to get back into the studies! The chapels are beautiful. What a magnificent setting!

Teebee: Oh the hungry feeling. Like that too. If I don''t feel hungry, I think to myself I must be eating too much. It''s funny so many of us have similar experiences. I like the fall wedding idea. The foliage period is kind of hard to determine. I know that there is like a two week period where it is gorgeous and then right after the trees look kind of skinny. I think it might be hard to predict through, I believe leaves change color as a result of daylight AND temperature cues. I guess November might not be too fun if you also have to worry about December finals. What a hard decision!

Katerina33: Welcome to the list! I don''t want to get married.... I just want the engagement ring!!
11.gif

Jenwill: Holidays were really crazy! Thanks for the kind words.
OK, that''s not what I meant by it at all! I just mean that I''m not super keen to start an elaborate wedding planning process right away, but I am super keen to get engaged and start openly talking about what we want to do for the wedding, and when. Right now, since we''re not even officially engaged, it''s not something I can really bring too specifically (although we do talk about it a little).

There''s a good chance we''d just end up eloping or doing something REALLY small anyhow, I''m not really into the idea of a big traditional wedding. I do really want to and am ready to get married, but because we already live together and have 2 dogs together, it already feels like we are married. So the immediate thing I''m really eager about is taking it to the next level, being able to share the good news with friends and family, having an outward sign of our committment to each other (a ring), etc.

It''s not all about just getting a ring because I''m materialistic or something. God, it all came out wrong!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Katrina. I think you might have misunderstood--I don't think anyone meant that you were all about the ring or materialistic or anything
1.gif
Really, I think we all just become so snow-blind from all the bling and our admiration for e-rings grows and grows both for fun by itself, but more importantly as a metaphor for the relationships we're in.....plus, we all love the sparklies or we wouldn't be here! I'm ready to be engaged, which is why I'm ready for the e-ring
11.gif
Even if it's a hefty twist-tie with a dreamy upgrade sometime in the future!

Alley, you sound good. I have faith that you are going to work your way through this. We can all tell you how strong and beautiful you are (and you are, I've seen your pic!!), but until you find that for yourself, it's all moot. Take your time, and when you are ready, I think it might be good to touch base with your bf--let him know that you miss him, but that you're doing what you have to do. And you're right about asschers--they look smaller than their carat weight, but are they yummy.....One of these days, you, me, Lauren, Lovey, and Jenwill will all win the lottery and go get those MASSIVE earrings Lovey posted
11.gif
But yes, the possibility of a family diamond is really meaningful and exciting to me.

Lovey, at al, I'll keep you all posted about that--could be a while--but I am VERY intrigued to know what's in there!! I hope there's something like an OMC/Cushion, but honestly, anything would carry so much weight b/c of the history.

GG, that is SO FUNNY about the rollerblades!! I think Kyle sounds like such a sweetheart. I bet something is in the works, even if its preliminary.

Was it teebee w/ the chapel? Wow, that was so gorgeous--perfectly organic, as GG said, and just naturally growing out of nature! The one in Palos Verdes was so pretty too.

Croi, you are such a romantic, and I love that about you!! I know it's all going to work out for you and your sweetie....I have a good feeling that on May 1 there will be the hooley of the century
9.gif

It's been sleeting here in NY and I'm a little brain-addled. That's all for now.

Molson

Rough_Rock
Okay, I think I may need to be added to this list! I''ve been looking on here for a long time, just never wrote. But, I love the idea of talking to people going through the same thing. I can''t talk to my bf about it and my girlfriends probably get pretty sick of me!!

Well, here is the short of my story..... My bf and I have been together for almost 6 years!! We were engaged before 2 years ago but, he called it off because he didn''t think he was ready and was very confused. But, I forgave him and we have been back together for about 22 months. I always knew we would get married even when we were broken up. I''m just so sure we were meant to be. But, of course I can''t wait to officially be his wife and start a family.

He special ordered my ring back in November and it''s been ready for a couple weeks. So, I thought for sure I would get it over Christmas/New Years. But, bf wants part of this to be a surprise so now I wait! So, I know it''s coming soon but still have severe anxiety and impatience!!! The part the makes me angry is that he hasn''t even gone to see the ring since it''s been done. What if it isn''t right and needs to be sent back?? That could take even longer!

Well, I look forward to waiting patiently with you ladies!!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
MS: sorry I don''t have a Ninendo Powerpad...I''ve never seen one in real life.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Erin - Where in Chicago are you from? I''m out just north of the city. Hope you''re enjoying the snow!
2.gif

GG - That''s too exciting. I''m glad he seems to be getting ready for the purchase. I feel like mine keeps getting pushed back further and further, but I''m young...so as much as I want it, I''m actually OK with waiting. A proposal in Hawaii would be so romantic! Except I know it''s hard to think of waiting even longer.

Teebee & Lauren - wow, those chapels are impressive. a wedding there would be amazing...makes me almost want to rethink not wanting to get married in a church setting.

Welcome Molson
1.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Oh Katerina! No I didn''t mean it that way. I (as in me Allycat) doesn''t want to get married..I just want the ring. Hugs! don''t be offended! I can see how the wording must have looked to you. I was talking about myself! I love e-rings, but I am a bit commitement phobic. I would buy myself a big gorgeous ring if I had the money. (Hmm... maybe I''m materialistic
11.gif
).

Blueroses: Oh god lottery. I think about it all the time. Just imagine the possibilities. What ring would I buy? Royal Asscher definitely. No doubt about it. I would buy 3 carats. Then it can''t possibly look small right? Dreams...dreams...Yes I will touch base with bf soon. I''m not happy, but I am keeping myself really distracted. You know 4 years ago, he broke up with me (broke my heart, and all my idealistic notions about love), and I was a mess. I didn''t eat for two weeks because I couldn''t get out of bed crying. It was the worst pain I''ve ever felt. This is really tame compared to that.

I love the idea of a family diamond. If it was his grandmother''s diamond, I would feel twice as blessed because his family likes me so much that they are willing to trust me with something so prescious. I feel that it signifies acceptance into their family. I big on family!

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Kewl! I didn''t realize you were speaking for yourself, thought you were paraphrasing what I''d said! And I wasn''t offended, just worried that I''d totally screwed up what I was trying to say.

That being said, I must admit that I am really fixating on rings and diamonds these days!!! It''s borderline psychologically unsound!

So, here''s my new plan - I''m going to save up $1000 - $2500 and buy myself a diamond RHR to tide me over. Not the really "right hand ring" looking ones, but something where the design centers around one or a few main stones, but not a bunch of tiny ones. Like the rings with a pave frame around the center (in this case with a .5 center!) or the "cutie" rings where little stones make up the appearance of one big square stone.

Knowing my luck, it will probably be right after I get this ring for myself that I finally get an engagement ring, and then I won''t even be excited about the other!!!!

So this will be a new channel for my diamond fixation, one that I can actually do something about!!!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
katrina -- you are right that you probably will get the e-ring right after you buy yourself an RHR. I bought my self a "promise" ring while I was waiting for my e-ring.. and literally 2 days after i got it, he proposed! It was only like $130 (it had lab-created birthstones.. not diamonds).
And.. when I tried to wear the ring I had bought myself as a RHR, everyone yelled at me and told me I shouldn''t wear it because it takes the attention away from my e-ring!! So I have hardly worn it!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I like the sound of those RHR''s!! Have you seen Jennifer''s "cutie" set on the forums?

AMALEEKEL

Rough_Rock
Ok so the shopping trip was cancelled. The store closes at 5:30 each day, so we can''t go...but they are open till 6:30 one day. I thought that day was Wednesday, but it was actually Thurs. So, today was out, but we''re supposed to go tomorrow.
I was kind of dissappointed.

I need some encouragement!

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Sure have, and her set is magnificent!

I also saw some in the LA Jewelry district the other day at a vendor with nice stuff. One had a princess in the center, surrounded by baguettes or little EC''s and 4 rounds at the corners, with pave down the band. It was about $1300. The other didn''t have diamonds on the band, and was an Emerald in the center with the same. That one was a little under $1000, can''t remember exact price. I''m sure the diamonds weren''t too high in color or clarity at those prices, but they both looked great to the naked eye and were really sparkly. The ones I saw were the perfect RHR''s for me - the overall look of a big, square stone, the sparkle of little RB''s, and the pricetag of something I can actually afford!

I really want one!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Those sound GREAT!! Would love to see pics
9.gif

AMA, it will be ok!! I''m sure that was a bummer....but think how exciting when you actually walk into the store together! And you get an extra day to come up with questions to ask, brainstorming to do......

2.gif

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Molson -- Welcome!!!!! Be sure to keep us informed!! Did you help pick out the ring?? We like to see pics!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results