shape
carat
color
clarity

Labor Day Weekend Wedding BBQ

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Okay...So I haven''t posted often on this forum...mainly because I am entirely missing the bridal gene...but I wanted to see what you ladies think of this...

By way of background - FI and I have been together for 5+ years, bought a house together nearly 3 years ago. Getting married *kind of* seems like a formality for us. We are a pretty laid back couple.

We were talking about doing a small destination wedding...but for various reasons, that didn''t seem like it was going to work.

As I said before, I am totally missing the planning a wedding gene - so a big formal wedding was totally out of the question.
It doesn''t appeal to me at all. I also can''t really justify spending the $$ on it - we are paying for our wedding because my parents have us $$$ for a down payment on a house...

So I''m sitting at lunch today with one my girl friends, and I said, you know, I really want to get married...maybe we should just do it in my backyard. And she said why not? And it got me to thinking...and planning.

Here is my wedding idea.

Labor day weekend. Either Saturday or Sunday - having a backyard wedding bbq! I have several wonderful friends - one has offered her HUGE yard and faboo house for the bbq. Another agreed to cook (and she is the best soul food cook I know). Just totally casual and fun. Basically, a party with our close friends and close family where we get married. I''m thinking I''ll wear a white or ivory strapless sundress. FI can wear linen pants and a shirt. Guests can wear whatever they want!

What do you guys think?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Sounds COMPLETELY fabulous!!! Go for it!!!

You don''t need all the fancy stuff. You certainly don''t need all the drama.

All you really need to get married is you, your FI, an officiant, a license, and probably a witness. The rest can totally just be a bbq party! I don''t think you''d have any less fun, probably more, and you''ll definitely have something to remember!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s basically what my parents did. They threw up a tent, invited a bunch of people, and had my mother''s brother do the cooking. They had a strawberry shortcake as their cake, a band, and that''s it! They had a blast and their friends still talk about it to this day. It wasn''t stuffy at all and I think the guests really enjoyed being able to let loose a bit and be casual.

I think we''re going to do a slightly more upscale, but still casual, bbq type idea too.

Most importantly, if it''s what YOU want, you''re going to love it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 4:07:56 PM
Author:littlelysser
What do you guys think?

*LOVE IT*

I'd suggest making it a "surprise" wedding held at a labor day party BUT ... you want people who'd want to attend your WEDDING to come & might accidentally miss it if it's a party over a popular holiday travel weekend. This way you could still have attendent(s) if you wanted etc.

Look up Lena Corwin's wedding (I think that's her name). It was a VERY STYLISH backyard bbq-type wedding that was very inspirational to me. Here's her blog ... I think it links to her flikr page with photos etc. The wedding was featured in ...hmmm. maybe Martha Stewart Weddings. Aigh. I have tearsheets somewhere.

It reminded me of your "vision" down to their outfits!

ETA: AHA! Her wedding photos! Hope that link works!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love it. Let me know when you''re sending me my invite.
2.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! I am getting more and more excited the more I think about this! And the fact that you guys like it too is only making me more excited!!!

Hehee!

Yay!

I thought about the whole surprise thing...but many of my friends live in another state...don''t think they''d just come in for a party...

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

gawd I''m a dork!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I think it sounds like a great idea!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic idea--I love it!!! It sounds like it will be a blast.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look up Lena Corwin's wedding (I think that's her name). It was a VERY STYLISH backyard bbq-type wedding that was very inspirational to me. Here's her blog ... I think it links to her flikr page with photos etc. The wedding was featured in ...hmmm. maybe Martha Stewart Weddings. Aigh. I have tearsheets somewhere.

It reminded me of your "vision" down to their outfits!

ETA: AHA! Her wedding photos! Hope that link works!

Ohhhhh if you by any chance know what issue of MSW her photos were in I would LOVE to know! Thats the kind of wedding I want...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds like the perfect wedding to me, too. Keep us posted on the details -- I''ll have something to refer to when planning my own wedding.
9.gif

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
sounds absolutely PERFECT to me- and what a fun time for your guests as well.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 6:44:17 PM
Author: neatfreak
Ohhhhh if you by any chance know what issue of MSW her photos were in I would LOVE to know! Thats the kind of wedding I want...

Here are more details .. it was the Spring 2006 issue of Martha Stewart Weddings.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Brilliant, fun, laid back, sounds perfect for you and your guy! You''ll have to summons up just a wee bit of the wedding gene, so your inspired to take and post pics!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Coolio! Thanks for the link. That looks amazing! I''m actually really starting to get excited about planning it...

I''m going to spend my lunch hour looking at dresses on line...want something casual...ivory or white, preferrably strapless, tea length or shorter!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Party Party Party Party!

That sounds like such a fun idea! Can I come?
31.gif

35.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds fun. I was in a labor day weekend wedding...but in full BM attire. Yours sounds way fun!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds like so much fun! I love BBQs!!

*M*

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Okay...I''m getting soo excited!

Another of my friends that is a great baker offered to make our wedding cake!

I am totally amazed by what my friends have offered to do for this wedding. Kind of tears me up!

So, what kind of meat do you think we should bbq? We definitely have the sides taken care of, as my wonderful friend that is a fantastic cook is making her KILLER mac ''n cheese, greens, baked beans, and potato salad. We were thinking of maybe grilling some corn too...as for meat? What do you think?

I''m so excited!

Also, FI''s dad (who is a Dutch citizen) is going to try to get licensed to marry us...and he''s going to do the officiating...he married my FI''s bro as well...so it''ll be special.

I''m thinking the one thing we are going to spend some $$ on is a photographer.

Okay...one more thing I''d like your collective advice on - there are places where you can rent fun silly stuff like a sno-cone maker and a cotton candy machine and a spin art machine...cheesy or fun? what do you think?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 8:59:54 PM
Author: littlelysser
So, what kind of meat do you think we should bbq?
I forget your religious affiliation but we considered having an on-site pig roast ... as it turns out we has pre-roasted pig (BBQ) & burgers & dogs & veggie burgers. There are folks that will bring a whole pig & spend all day roasting - then carve up & serve it with sauces etc. That could save a lot of work "cooking" or "grilling" that day.

Cotton candy machines are rentable, but you'll need to get someone to operate it & practice ahead of time. The catering type rental places might be able to recommend someone - or you could designate an honorary Cotton Candy Attendant!

What about an ICE CREAM TRUCK??? I wanted one but it just didn't work into our plan.

ETA: ooohhh oooh oooh ... SNO-CONE COCKTAILS!!!! Yummmmmmmm
18.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I know someone who had In N'' Out burgers and Ben and Jerry''s from an ice cream cart served at her wedding. I wasn''t in attendance, but oh, what fun!

These machines are definitely rentable, and I so want to come to your wedding. I''m glad you''re splurging on photography as the pictures will be awesome, I am sure!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
LL, it sounds very relaxed, very casual, and very YOU. Very in keeping with what you seem to want.

I''d totally go with this. Honestly, at the end of the day, you''re married....and that''s the goal. How you celebrate it and share it is only limited to what pleases you and FI.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 12:53:46 PM
Author: littlelysser
Coolio! Thanks for the link. That looks amazing! I''m actually really starting to get excited about planning it...

I''m going to spend my lunch hour looking at dresses on line...want something casual...ivory or white, preferrably strapless, tea length or shorter!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I hope all the ladies take a valuable note in this.....

THIS....this is what planning a wedding should evoke. Excitement and glee at finding your stride and expressing your wedding in a way that makes sense to you.

I can''t wait to see how this turns out!

FYI, LL: hubby and I decided between two options. One was to spend the $$ and do a park wedding and charter a schooner (which is what we ended up doing). If we hadn''t done that, we were going to put the money toward a house and do an upscale backyard wedding, too.
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 9:09:11 PM
Author: decodelighted

18.gif

Now THAT''s a great idea!

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 4:07:56 PM
Author:littlelysser
Okay...So I haven''t posted often on this forum...mainly because I am entirely missing the bridal gene...but I wanted to see what you ladies think of this...

By way of background - FI and I have been together for 5+ years, bought a house together nearly 3 years ago. Getting married *kind of* seems like a formality for us. We are a pretty laid back couple.

We were talking about doing a small destination wedding...but for various reasons, that didn''t seem like it was going to work.

As I said before, I am totally missing the planning a wedding gene - so a big formal wedding was totally out of the question.
It doesn''t appeal to me at all. I also can''t really justify spending the $$ on it - we are paying for our wedding because my parents have us $$$ for a down payment on a house...

So I''m sitting at lunch today with one my girl friends, and I said, you know, I really want to get married...maybe we should just do it in my backyard. And she said why not? And it got me to thinking...and planning.

Here is my wedding idea.

Labor day weekend. Either Saturday or Sunday - having a backyard wedding bbq! I have several wonderful friends - one has offered her HUGE yard and faboo house for the bbq. Another agreed to cook (and she is the best soul food cook I know). Just totally casual and fun. Basically, a party with our close friends and close family where we get married. I''m thinking I''ll wear a white or ivory strapless sundress. FI can wear linen pants and a shirt. Guests can wear whatever they want!

What do you guys think?
:O This was mine and Strms thot of a perfect wedding too when the idea was going to be for the wedding at my sister''s in Delaware...but my sister was like no way - how can you have a bbq and wear your formal wedding dress...lol...my reply was " Very Carefully!" giggle...and then, "same as you wear a white formal wedding dress and have red colored punch" :D
I say for my 2c worth...this is your wedding - and you can do it your way!!!!!!!! :D Sounds fun to me :D

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 11:14:57 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 2/23/2007 9:09:11 PM
Author: decodelighted

18.gif

Now THAT''s a great idea!
It is, as is this whole wedding idea. I absolutely love it.

Good for you!

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I have thought of this idea too, but alittle more formal in the backyard. A marquee with twinkling light, tulle, flowers etc.
I would probably have it catered if I was you, allowing someone to cook for a lot of people can be stressful and they should enjoy the day too.

We had shoprite cater our superbowl party and the food was really good, unbelievably!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I''m so glad you guys like my idea!

And keep coming with the ideas! Love them!

At this point...we are going to rent a nice tent...and tabls and chairs. I''d like to do gingham tableclothes? Don''t know if that is possible...It really is going to be a bbq! Buffet style. We''ll do flowers, of course, but we are going to go to costco the day before and buy ''em out of flowers and make the arrangements ourselves - I love doing that kind of stuff. tiki torches for after the sun goes down. Christmas lights around the tent.

I keep getting new ideas...out of control...like maybe doing silly t-shirts for favors...Of course, I''d assume folks would only wear them to sleep in...so it''d say something silly - Something about a labor day wedding bbq. Of course, I''d like to be a *bit* more clever than that. hehee...

I''m just so jazzed because it is really shaping up like pretty much everyone I LOVE in the world is going to be there. I''ve been really lucky in life, and have great friends...and everyone I''ve told has promised they''ll be there (mind you, I''m talking about maybe 20 people) - which made me happy, since several of these folks are going to have a LONG drive or a flight to come... I already told FI that he better expect me to cry like a baby when I look out and see basically every one of my dear friends and close family, knowing that they came to be a part of this day. Sigh. I even get teared up thinking about it. I just can''t wait!

Mustang - I appreciate your suggestion that we have it catered...but my friend is a GREAT cook...and trust me...no way we could get catered food as good as what she makes. She cooked the food for my 30th bday party a couple years ago...and it was amazing! She often cooks for parties and picnics...cooking for 50 people isn''t anything to her! And she wants to do it as a wedding gift for us! And this is definitely NOT going to be formal...fun and relaxed!

Frankly, the only reason I''m wearing a dress is because I *do* sort of want to wear a cute dress and get my hair all did!
41.gif

Deco - I LOVE the idea of a pig roast. I''ll definitely look into that. That could be great! (As for religious affiliation...eh, not really affiliated at all!) And Sno-Cone cocktails? FABOOOOOO idea. Heheeee! LOVE it!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
LL: Your wedding sounds like it''s going to be a total blast, and will be a true reflection of you and your hubby to be. HOORAY!

And all it took was a bit of brainstorming to get that bridal gene going.

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
I think that''s fine if that''s what you want, but I would be careful of Labor Day weekend, alot of people have annual plans, I would hate to have to say no to a getaway to go to a wedding

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results