shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab made from James allen

Phatkid77

Rough_Rock
Well. Said I’d never do it again and here I am..
Almost an expert with all my research... granted AFTER I purchased lol

came across white flash and if I had to do over again I would order there due to the information and pics provided.

I’ve already purchased my set up and like another guy here I think I came across a pricing mix up or something!
OOOOR I’m blind and missing something

but I grabbed a
Ideal cut
F colour
S1
For like 2k Canadian.
ive seen 1ct for $8000!!!!

I’m EXTREMELY happy with what I Hope I’m getting lol.

here’s some pics

E0C6451E-1BD0-4523-9AA2-E1F5817D5CB7.jpeg D1DFC249-91EC-4108-8061-41B732C0DA71.png 37AE90FC-5B66-4416-8AC8-61C0A139B5A5.jpeg

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
IGI’s cut grades aren’t the same as GIA and AGS, also the polish and symmetry are going to bring the price down too. Unfortunately it doesn’t fall into GIA’s excellent or AGS’s ideal standards. I’ve attached a picture to show you. It’s a shallow diamond, hence why it has a bigger spread. Personally, I would pass on this one. No lab created stone should cost $8,000 for one carat, so I think you’ll be able to find something else reasonable. 26D48EAE-0E49-428F-86A0-424C1DDE5AD9.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. A 1ct lab diamond is not 8K.

Phatkid77

Rough_Rock
Yeah I agree. $8k is excessive. Most around 5. In any event, massive savings getting 0.9 VS 1 ($2000-4000)

you guys are super particular. Lol it’s certainly not the perfect stone, but who can afford that. Haha. Not me

I’m sure it will still be stunning, meant to say earlier, regarding lab grown... read how they say resale sucks..
Who cares?? Don’t buy an engagement ring to sell, and if you get dumped. Perfect. Not worth crap. Lol

Phatkid77

Rough_Rock
Oh, and I must be cooked.
to me that brilliant earth diamond is not as nice. It’s like someone sprinkled pepper on it...

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With all due respect, you came her posting that you got an ideal MMD at a massive savings. @SouthernElle very graciously shared research that it would not be graded ideal by the industry leading labs and is not priced at a massive savings. That said, it sounds like it meets your needs and is in your budget so I hope you are very happy with it and it brings you much joy.

Phatkid77

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I just said it looks a lot better in the 15x viewing than the others I posted.... I appreciate all advice
As such, when researching depth again.... that’s the problem with google.... different opinions and theories
Like depth of 59-62% is ideal on diamond websites, then you will read some that say anything under 61.5 is shallow!
loge the site tho... I love trying to learn and research

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Also, you stated you purchased an ideal cut stone, so I assumed that was important to you. But you later post makes it seem like budget was the driving factor. That is obviously your prerogative, but should probably be stated initially. You asked if you had missed anything about why it was priced the way it was. I simply gave you the reasons. I would not personally choose the BE stone I listed because I place value on clarity, to the extent that I don’t like dark inclusions near the center. I have an SI2, but it has one inclusion that made it an SI2 and it is hidden under a prong. The rest are only seen with high magnification. That being said, I don’t know what your SI1 looks like so I have no way of knowing what clarity you are comfortable with.

I think it’s a little unfair to call us picky, I would say people in the MMD section tend to be more easy going, but the whole point is really to help people find the BEST stone for the money. And it’s not based on my personal opinion, it’s based on a AGS/GIA cut calculator. It seems like you posted wanting validation, but I honestly think we can help you find a better performing stone. And with JA’s return policy, you aren’t forced to keep the stone you purchased. If you are open to more choices, I would love to know your constraints as far as budget and color. An F stone will command a price premium, if you are open to G/H/I, the price comes down. Now personally, and I think there are a few on here who would agree with me, I would NEVER sacrifice cut for color. I would much rather have a slightly lower (but still very white) color that performs better than a D/E/F stone. I can show pictures comparing my F/G diamonds in platinum to my “I” stone.

If you are set on being happy with the stone you purchased, I wish you luck and happiness as you decide on a setting and how to propose to your future spouse.

Phatkid77

Rough_Rock
No worries. Sorry if I seemed rude or not appreciative. Yes I’m happy with the stone, but love to look and make sure I did make the right choice etc.
any that I have found (like that pic above) to MY eyes they’re not as appealing and $2000 more.
In any event, here’s a link to the stone

sometimes it’s wonky... may have to hit reload page a couple times.
Thanks

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As stated before, I don't think the stone you got is particularly well cut, so it would not be my choice. But of course if you love it thats great! But you didn't get any kind of great deal. It was priced low for a reason.

Phatkid77

Rough_Rock
And that’s why I keep looking out there. I’m not against finding better
G/H is fine.
$2100 budget CNDN

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I think the stone you got is fine. Not worth more money to get the incremental difference in sparkle you could get by getting a better cut one. On PS in the old days, a lot of people used to intentionally look for diamonds with good HCA scores that were GIA "very good" because a lot of people loved the particular look. One of my favorite diamonds on PS was one of these. Looked absolutely smashing in all the pictures. It's only recently that people have gotten even more militant regarding cut quality. I think this will be good enough and you will be happy with it.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
Personally I think the stone you got is fine. Not worth more money to get the incremental difference in sparkle you could get by getting a better cut one. On PS in the old days, a lot of people used to intentionally look for diamonds with good HCA scores that were GIA "very good" because a lot of people loved the particular look. One of my favorite diamonds on PS was one of these. Looked absolutely smashing in all the pictures. It's only recently that people have gotten even more militant regarding cut quality. I think this will be good enough and you will be happy with it.

I didn’t realize you could get good HCA scores with less than excellent grades cuts. Good to know! What makes the look different?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t realize you could get good HCA scores with less than excellent grades cuts. Good to know! What makes the look different?

I wouldn't reject this one without seeing the idealscope or ASET image, if they can obtain those for you. That it does not show obstruction in the camera, and with the 40.6 pavilion angle, I would expect it to be fine.

Phatkid77

Rough_Rock
Does James Allen usually have those images?
I think I emailed about a ideal scope one but didn’t hear back

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does James Allen usually have those images?
I think I emailed about a ideal scope one but didn’t hear back

For their natural diamonds, they do. idk about if they do for synthetics.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
If you are open to looking somewhere besides James Allen, I was just perusing Clean Origin’s site. They have .9-1.01 carat stones (G/H/I color) that are very nicely cut for $1600-$1800 CAD.

Phatkid77

Rough_Rock
If you are open to looking somewhere besides James Allen, I was just perusing Clean Origin’s site. They have .9-1.01 carat stones (G/H/I color) that are very nicely cut for $1600-$1800 CAD.

Thanks for looking!
I just QUICKLY did, some clean looking diamonds for sure. Videos look closer so I’m not seeing the black arrow patterns like others. But MAN! Bigger and a few hundred less. I’d have to look more closely.
Truth be told, I’m sure as soon as propose THATS THE RING... she wouldn’t dream of changing it. Lol

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Also check out Lightbox Jewelry for lab diamonds. You could reset one of their pendants into a ring. The price is $800/carat!

Last edited:

Phatkid77

Rough_Rock
This just hit me... would I be wrong to assume that almost any diamond would be better cut and more brilliant from JA/WF etc vs box stores, not to mention much more cost effective..

phats

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve not purchased from JA so can’t answer for them. For WF, absolutely yes; they screen their in-house diamonds and have experts who will give you honest advice about virtual inventory diamonds you may want to purchase through them. I highly recommend WF. For round diamonds I would say that LB appear to be better cut than the standard mall store diamonds, but sizes and setting options are very limited. The cushion shape is new to LB and initial reports on here seem to be mixed about how well those cuts perform.
Do you have Costco in Canada? They have some nicely cut stones and I would put them above a mall store, about the same level as LB since the product options are limited.

Last edited:

Phatkid77

Rough_Rock
I’ve not purchased from JA so can’t answer for them. For WF, absolutely yes; they screen their in-house diamonds and have experts who will give you honest advice about virtual inventory diamonds you may want to purchase through them. I highly recommend WF. For round diamonds I would say that LB appear to be better cut than the standard mall store diamonds, but sizes and setting options are very limited. The cushion shape is new to LB and initial reports on here seem to be mixed about how well those cuts perform.
Do you have Costco in Canada? They have some nicely cut stones and I would put them above a mall store, about the same level as LB since the product options are limited.

YeAh, I live 2 mins from Costco. Lol
I WAS contemplating going there... but someone told me something about their cuts and not being great.
I do like the no pressure browsing at home... but due to great sites such as this you can get paralysis by analysis hHa

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
James Allen isn’t considered top tier for cut. WF is a super ideal vendor, with the price tag to match. James Allen, Brilliant Earth, Clean Origin, 1215 Diamonds are all the same type of vendor. JA is priced higher, but they don’t screen for cut quality like WF does. I don’t like JA personally, I think it’s poor service to hide certificates unless you contact them. I’ve personally used 1215 and BE and had great experiences with both. The only cons to CO and 1215 is that it takes longer to sort through stones. They don’t have advanced filters. I think it’s worth it though. They both have a good selection.

Phatkid77

Rough_Rock
Well. Just alittle update. I received it before my trip. She said yes and it looks amazing in person and on the finger. In the box I thousand damn. Should of got 1.5ct FF064A18-5984-4097-A5CD-F9E0183DCD9D.jpeg 3317C09D-579B-476D-9406-2E83F6B6362F.jpeg 80C22182-7356-431A-BB36-FE802AC63DF2.jpeg

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Well. Just alittle update. I received it before my trip. She said yes and it looks amazing in person and on the finger. In the box I thousand damn. Should of got 1.5ct FF064A18-5984-4097-A5CD-F9E0183DCD9D.jpeg 3317C09D-579B-476D-9406-2E83F6B6362F.jpeg 80C22182-7356-431A-BB36-FE802AC63DF2.jpeg

Congrats! The ring is beautiful.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! It is beautiful!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results