shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Grown Ideas

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I’m currently looking for some diamond stud earrings for my wife but have been struggling to find high quality diamonds for my price range. I’m trying to keep it around $3,00-$4,000. Would like a total of 2 carats but that seems out of reach.

I’m a little nervous of lab grown because of holding value and just the thought of it. But I’m open to any help or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the LGD subforum, @cardshark_04 !

Here are a couple that stood out to me. Both are HPHT growth method, no blue nuance (Type IIb), and have outstanding proportions/angles.

Here are JA's Platinum stud settings:

Finally, here are a couple more from another PS vetted vendor, both are also HPHT and extremely well proportioned and will give a bit noticeably bigger spread/diameter.
Be sure to ask if their current BEMINELAB coupon code (5% off the lab diamonds and 15% off the setting) applies to earrings!

Here are their Platinum stud settings:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the pair from The Art of Jewels that DejaWiz posted.

Another pair of options from James Allen, and JA also has the benefit of a lifetime upgrade policy.

These studs are beautiful, showing minimal metal:

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the replies. So, there a grading system like GIA for lab grown? A trusted guide I guess?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the replies. So, there a grading system like GIA for lab grown? A trusted guide I guess?

LGDs are graded the same way as natural diamonds as far as cut, color, and clarity are concerned. GIA does grade lab-grown diamonds, but they're a little less common than GCAL or IGI.

Thanks for your replies! Do you guys have a favorite spot to look/buy lab grown? I think this might be my new direction

I'd take a look at James Allen, The Art of Jewels, Adiamor, or Distinctive Gem to start.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I'd take a look at James Allen, The Art of Jewels, Adiamor, or Distinctive Gem to start.

Agreed. I'd just make things easy on myself and grab those two diamonds from TAoJ that I posted above...haha. They should perform exceptionally well.

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
Agreed. I'd just make things easy on myself and grab those two diamonds from TAoJ that I posted above...haha. They should perform exceptionally well.

I talked to Adi at TAoj and did both those diamonds with 14k white gold. Came out to $3,000 pre tax, good deal?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I talked to Adi at TAoj and did both those diamonds with 14k white gold. Came out to $3,000 pre tax, good deal?

Smokin' hot deal for that pair of HPHT beauties!

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
Would you spend an extra $30 a diamond for a VS-1 instead of a VS-2? The VS-2 is a “super cut” and the VS-1 is an ideal with a 1/10 less of a carat.

PM83

Rough_Rock

Here are a couple that stood out to me. Both are HPHT growth method, no blue nuance (Type IIb), and have outstanding proportions/angles.

Finally, here are a couple more from another PS vetted vendor, both are also HPHT and extremely well proportioned and will give a bit noticeably bigger spread/diameter.
Be sure to ask if their current BEMINELAB coupon code (5% off the lab diamonds and 15% off the setting) applies to earrings!

Just a question, how are you able to tell if a diamond is type 2 a or b? As I’ve noticed it doesn’t mention on the certs! I’ve also noticed the 360 videos on James Allen you are able to see blue nuance in the stones that have them but when viewing diamonds on other sites such as brilliant earth art of jewels you can’t tell as much at least I can’t because the lighting is different

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Just a question, how are you able to tell if a diamond is type 2 a or b? As I’ve noticed it doesn’t mention on the certs! I’ve also noticed the 360 videos on James Allen you are able to see blue nuance in the stones that have them but when viewing diamonds on other sites such as brilliant earth art of jewels you can’t tell as much at least I can’t because the lighting is different

Hi, PM83!
It gets tricky, for sure. After looking at thousands of pictures and videos of diamonds from lots and lots of sellers, I can tell by the tint or even the surface sheen. Even then, it can be excruciatingly hard to discern in some videos due to the photography environment/lighting/camera settings. I would venture a guess that, in some cases, they are intentionally trying to hide it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you spend an extra $30 a diamond for a VS-1 instead of a VS-2? The VS-2 is a “super cut” and the VS-1 is an ideal with a 1/10 less of a carat.

Not unless the cut and proportions are as good as the ones posted, which is a tall order. For earrings it honestly shouldn't matter.

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock

Alright, I’m having a hard time deciding between the James Allen ones posted above or the heart of jewels. Anybody have a preference?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Alright, I’m having a hard time deciding between the James Allen ones posted above or the heart of jewels. Anybody have a preference?

Art of Jewels...more spread/diameter, and enough of it to be noticable if they were side by side.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Art of Jewels is a better deal now, but if you think there's a possibility of upgrading in the future, James Allen might be a better choice.

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, went art of jewels route. You all were such a great help! I’ll post a pic when they show up. Thanks again

PM83

Rough_Rock
Hi, PM83!
It gets tricky, for sure. After looking at thousands of pictures and videos of diamonds from lots and lots of sellers, I can tell by the tint or even the surface sheen. Even then, it can be excruciatingly hard to discern in some videos due to the photography environment/lighting/camera settings. I would venture a guess that, in some cases, they are intentionally trying to hide it.

That’s pretty sneaky on their part! Also I know that CVD is known for post growth treatment is that the case for hpht as well? If you don’t mind, Would you be able to show me an example of blue nuance from a gcal video or one with different lighting other than James Allen just so I can have something to compare to?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
The Art of Jewels is a better deal now, but if you think there's a possibility of upgrading in the future, James Allen might be a better choice.

TAoJ also includes their LGDs in their lifetime upgrade program!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
That’s pretty sneaky on their part! Also I know that CVD is known for post growth treatment is that the case for hpht as well? If you don’t mind, Would you be able to show me an example of blue nuance from a gcal video or one with different lighting other than James Allen just so I can have something to compare to?

It's important to remember that the blame doesn't lay solely with the sellers, since the cut houses/distribution conglomerates are the ones that are usually taking the photos/videos. The sellers are just as much at the mercy of "take what they can get" right now like many other industries because of worldwide labor and subsequent product shortages because of the global pandemic.

HPHT diamonds are almost never PGT'd, unless it's for special cases such as colored diamonds.
Ironically enough, the PGT method for CVD diamonds is usually...HPHT!

Pop quiz: Here are a handful of colorless grade diamonds. Which do you think is Type IIb and has undisclosed blue nuance?

Last edited:

PM83

Rough_Rock
It's important to remember that the blame doesn't lay solely with the sellers, since the cut houses/distribution conglomerates are the ones that are usually taking the photos/videos. The sellers are just as much at the mercy of "take what they can get" right now like many other industries because of worldwide labor and subsequent product shortages because of the global pandemic.

HPHT diamonds are almost never PGT'd, unless it's for special cases such as colored diamonds.
Ironically enough, the PGT method for CVD diamonds is usually...HPHT!

Pop quiz: Here are a handful of colorless grade diamonds. Which do you think is Type IIb and has undisclosed blue nuance?

This is a little tricky but I’m going to guess the 2.52 has some blue nuance? I couldn’t pick it up with the others I saw but I also don’t have as good an eye as you do! How did I do?

Also that 2.56 ct has some amazing fire!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
Just saw someone left AOJ a bad review. I’m gonna check these over later tonight or tomo to see if there’s anything funky going on

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Just saw someone left AOJ a bad review. I’m gonna check these over later tonight or tomo to see if there’s anything funky going on

I believe the review was focused around the communication and refund processing issues and not that there was any concerns about the diamonds. But definitely check the diamonds out, which should be done no matter where they are purchased from.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results