shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Question

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the diamond world and would like to buy my wife some diamond earrings for a “push” present with our recent kid.

Been looking at a lot of stud earrings online and notice a lot of certifications. AGA, GSI etc.

Are these trusted sources? I know GIA is the gold standard but is that where everyone mostly draws the line?

I also asked a few people selling diamonds online about certification and their response was, “Yes, it comes with a GIA gemologist appraisal.” And the other said, “ Yea it comes with a GIA graduate gemologist appraisal.”

Is that considered the same? Sorry for the rookie questions, I just want to make the right choose.

Thanks so much for the help.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it's not the same. You want a certificate from GIA or AGS, not an appraisal by someone who is a GIA graduate, etc.
You should give us your budget and size, color, clarity requests and you will get help finding nice earrings. Also, are you looking for diamond studs or some other style?

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
No, it's not the same. You want a certificate from GIA or AGS, not an appraisal by someone who is a GIA graduate, etc.
You should give us your budget and size, color, clarity requests and you will get help finding nice earrings. Also, are you looking for diamond studs or some other style?

I’d like some studs if possible. My budget is $4,000 and it seems like stuff with these weird certificates are affordable but the GIA diamonds are a lot more expensive (obviously true to word.)

I’d like 2 carats total weight but that’s starting to look out of reach. I found some i1, H, 1.75 excellent cuts in that range but I’m not sure.

What do you guys think?

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
I’d like some studs if possible. My budget is $4,000 and it seems like stuff with these weird certificates are affordable but the GIA diamonds are a lot more expensive (obviously true to word.)

I’d like 2 carats total weight but that’s starting to look out of reach. I found some i1, H, 1.75 excellent cuts in that range but I’m not sure.

What do you guys think?

Is very good still a decent cut? I’ve been looking on eBay as well

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I would avoid a diamond that has a very good cut on the report and focus on GIA excellent or AGS Ideal. On this forum we always recommend getting the best cut quality for the best performance.

Edit: Personally I would not go below SI1 - SI2 clarity grade.

Last edited:

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
I would avoid a diamond that has a very good cut on the report and focus on GIA excellent or AGS Ideal. On this forum we always recommend getting the best cut quality for the best performance.

Edit: Personally I would not go below SI1 - SI2 clarity grade.

Do you think I can find a n excellent/ideal cut, 1.5-2 carat total weight with Si-1,2? Where would you sacrifice? Color? Any suggested websites? eBay is looking kinda snakey. Thanks so much for all the help.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Realistically with your budget you are probably looking at 1 to 1.5 tcw. SI1 to SI2 clarity and I to J color. I would also look at James Allen or Blue Nile since both these companies have a good return policy.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
open to buying lab diamonds?

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
I was leaning natural. Don’t lab diamonds not hold their value? Maybe that’s an old wife’s tale but I’m open to anything.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Yes lab diamonds don't hold their value compared to natural but you will probably get the tcw you want. They behave the same as natural diamonds and nobody will know unless you tell them.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you buy from a vendor with a good upgrade policy, you can easily upgrade in the future to your desired size.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
First off, congratulations on the new addition to your family!

I would also advise entertaining the LGD route.

You can easily get 2+ tcw for around $3000 in the colorless D-E range, VS clarity, beautifully proportioned from a PS vetted vendor that has an upgrade program inclusive of their lab grown diamonds so your purchase is protected...and you can even go natural grown in the future if you desire.

If you would like to see some great examples, then head over to the LGD section of the forum and make a thread...I have some recommendations ready for you to see.

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, congratulations on the new addition to your family!

I would also advise entertaining the LGD route.
OP, before you consider LGD's I'd make sure that the recipient is okay with that. Some people are, and some people aren't. And I think you would need to disclose to the recipient if what they receive is earth mined or not.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
OP, before you consider LGD's I'd make sure that the recipient is okay with that. Some people are, and some people aren't. And I think you would need to disclose to the recipient if what they receive is earth mined or not.

Yes, absolutely!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don’t lab diamonds not hold their value?

Let's compare two hypothetical diamonds. One Lab Grown, one Earth mined
Both graded GIA D/VS1- EX cut grade ( for the purposes of discussion they're both equally well cut)
Earth diamond is $10k, Lab diamond is about $2500
Even if the lab stone holds $0 value, you'd still lose less in the event of a forced sale.
But I don't believe that the Lab diamond goes to zero, any more than the Earth Mined diamond will go to 0.
Both will hold some value. Both will hold more value, percentage-wise, than most other products consumers buy.....

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

cardshark_04

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies! Do you guys have a favorite spot to look/buy lab grown? I think this might be my new direction

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results